Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

Speaking of hilariously expensive suspension parts, shocks for an 2006ish AWD Infiniti M35/45 have no 3rd party manufacturer. I think it is the fronts that are exclusive to that car only. Does Infiniti jack the price of those to loving hell? Of course. Think a set of 4 cost more than decent coilovers for a subaru (part only). Good thing they lasted like 150k mi.

My neighbour owns what I assume is some kind of small contracting firm and he told me the other day (after seeing me rattle gunning some struts on my driveway) that he got rid of his S-class because a set of shocks cost $4400 before labour.

Dunno if they were fancy air shocks but I assume so at that rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My neighbour owns what I assume is some kind of small contracting firm and he told me the other day (after seeing me rattle gunning some struts on my driveway) that he got rid of his S-class because a set of shocks cost $4400 before labour.

These were like regular shocks and were like $500 a corner iirc. Not even magnetic or controllable or anything.
They do ride loving nice now though.

Pretty sure dad's driving this one into the ground though so it will pay off in the long run.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ferremit posted:

That sounds like OEM toyota arms. They're HIDEOUSLY expensive- The list price for the control arms on my Landcruiser are over $800 each.

OEM control arms are $150 from toyotapartsstore.com, though I don't see one listed that includes the ball point. Ball joint adds about $50.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Probably air or magnetic or whatnot. My A8 had air struts and Audi wanted $3,600 to replace the front in just parts. Of course there are third party rebuilds available which cost well below half of that.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
TJ Wrangler Clutch .. or what's left of one:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's after the fire, right? :stare:

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
im not actually sure how the hell that happened, bell housing was full of shrapnel like that, clutch and flywheel were obviously obliletated.

input shaft had no signs of damage. went through half a dozen cans of gum cutter to get the bell housing cleaned out and replaced the clutch, flywheel, etc.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Dacheat posted:

So you're the one that bought my spouses jeep.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
Moron that i wheel with that's got a dana 60 under his jeep and 42" tires did this:
blew the end of the axle shaft THROUGH the locking hub

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dacheat posted:

Is this from the Jeep that went off the cliff and exploded 10 feet down in Deep Impact?

Sorry, I just watched Deep Impact.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

nm posted:

Speaking of hilariously expensive suspension parts, shocks for an 2006ish AWD Infiniti M35/45 have no 3rd party manufacturer. I think it is the fronts that are exclusive to that car only. Does Infiniti jack the price of those to loving hell? Of course. Think a set of 4 cost more than decent coilovers for a subaru (part only). Good thing they lasted like 150k mi.
I had some weird shocks on my MDX that were about 850 apiece before labor IIRC.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Nivomat self-levelers on older top-end Volvos were stupid expensive too, they'd always be swapped for standard shocks when the time came.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

https://fat.gfycat.com/HoarseSociableAngora.webm

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"Yeah man the ace hardware grade studs will be fine, and they're like 20 cents cheaper per set, what am i made of money?"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Enourmo posted:

"Yeah man the ace hardware grade studs will be fine, and they're like 20 cents cheaper per set, what am i made of money?"

I probably watched it 7 times just to make sure that's what I was seeing.

I regret nothing.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I can't stop watching it.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

EightBit posted:

I can't stop watching it.

I really enjoy it when something gets caught on camera so perfectly as if someone knew what was going to happen already. And at a high enough frame rate to get a pretty decent slow motion shot too.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Synchronize that up with swan lake and you've got a stew goin.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
on average, I think the wheels on that vehicle still comply with the NASCAR lug installation requirements. Run it.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
The slowmo version is hypnotizing. I think i've been staring at the gif for like 10 minutes now.

otaku69
May 18, 2003
I don't think I have ever seen washers used on a lug nut, is that a NHRA thing?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

otaku69 posted:

I don't think I have ever seen washers used on a lug nut, is that a NHRA thing?

Toyota did it on our $1000 Celica (the washer is integrated into the lug taper). I haven't seen it anywhere else though some WRC-spec aluminum rally wheels have steel lug inserts.

I think there's some brand of aftermarket lug nuts (McGard?) that have a taper intended to spin when overtorqued so you don't hammer the finish off the wheels when you impact them on.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Some Nissans have them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

From the awesome poo poo thread:

Left Ventricle posted:

We interrupt LEGO chat with this special bulletin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Bmh2_XgZM

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
3:35 for the gold. He's lucky that happened off the line and not in a hard shift to 3rd at 80 miles an hour.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

it's so perfect

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I hope they kept the plug that the pipe took out of the tire as a trophy.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Godholio posted:

From the awesome poo poo thread:

10.03 at 1000hp doesn't seem fast enough to me.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Nobody said his tires were great. :colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

charliemonster42 posted:

10.03 at 1000hp doesn't seem fast enough to me.

Something something 1000hp something something 40% drivetrain losses something something *dyno chart with ~650 at the wheels* something something THOUSAND HORSEPOWER BRA

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Vanagoon posted:

I hope they kept the plug that the pipe took out of the tire as a trophy.

Considering those things run in excess of 130psi as a tyre pressure and have an absolutely HUGE volume, i wonder just how far down that bore tube that plug of tyre actually went?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sudo Echo posted:

it's so perfect

hahahahaha :suicide:

I have done that, but it was a much smaller pipe and just long enough to cut through on half the perimeter, leaving the flap of tire attached. Actually, from my first-ever post in this thread, all the way back in 2011:

Swapping a 300+ lb wheel/tire combo alone loving sucks! I can only imagine how annoying it was to change the tire on that dumptruck. It's even the inboard one so they have to take both off.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Was backing out of the driveway this morning when everything inside shut off and the truck started stumbling. As smoke started pouring out of the hood, I slammed it into park and put the ebrake on. Made the decision to risk popping the hood since the smoke was white, not blue or black, saw flames and grabbed a chemical fire extinguisher from inside the house. Damage so far seems to be localized to the cable in the pic, driver's side inner fender well, a small section of wiring harness under the truck and hopefully just the fuses for the gauge cluster, radio, ecu, hydroboost brake booster and whatever else may have blown. Pushed it up the driveway with my mom's bf's ford, got it parked disco'd the battery and caught a ride to work. Only 8 minutes late. Boss was betting on me being over an hour late. :v:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

kastein posted:

hahahahaha :suicide:

I have done that, but it was a much smaller pipe and just long enough to cut through on half the perimeter, leaving the flap of tire attached. Actually, from my first-ever post in this thread, all the way back in 2011:

Swapping a 300+ lb wheel/tire combo alone loving sucks! I can only imagine how annoying it was to change the tire on that dumptruck. It's even the inboard one so they have to take both off.

Ehhh, ironically things get easier to work with once they hit a certain size and weight: it's futile to try and do it alone on site, so it gets driven into a shop where they just use a forklift to take it off. If it's a fancy shop they even have a special attachment for the forklift so the tire can't fall off while you're driving it around.

For something like a 300lb tire I would just get it into position leaning against the hub, and then use two 4' prybars to lift it up and hang it on the hub itself. Then rotate it by hand until the lugs line up. If it doesn't have a hub to hang on, it's more of a pain in the rear end, but you can use the prybars to rotate it bit by bit until it hangs on the studs.

Where someone really has a heart attack is when they see the bill. I've never priced out a tire that size, but extrapolating from the ones I have, easily over $10k. I wouldn't be surprised if they were more than $20k each.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
They run about 36k for the really big 500+ ton haul trucks. A lot, but the lost production is probably worse.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Memento posted:

They run about 36k for the really big 500+ ton haul trucks. A lot, but the lost production is probably worse.

Do they not have spare tires either on site or nearby waiting to be swapped out? I guess when you're measuring your time in thousands of dollars per minute, no downtime is good downtime, but I figure they should budget at least a few hours for "the operator is a bonehead" per month.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Was doing some maintenance up on a roof and I look over and see this little guy hanging out where he shouldn't belong.

That sign is about 25' off the ground.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheDon01 posted:

Was doing some maintenance up on a roof and I look over and see this little guy hanging out where he shouldn't belong.

Retrieve that fucker (under the pretext that it could be a hazard if high winds dislodge it) and mount it on the wall.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

EKDS5k posted:

Do they not have spare tires either on site or nearby waiting to be swapped out? I guess when you're measuring your time in thousands of dollars per minute, no downtime is good downtime, but I figure they should budget at least a few hours for "the operator is a bonehead" per month.

As you said, it's serious dollars for downtime. Aside from scheduled maintenance, they run 24/7. If you're hauling 400 tons of lead/zinc ore at 12%, that's 48 tons of contained metal, which is about $60k per load, wholesale from the mine to the trading house. If you're doing a run once every two hours, and you're off the haul line for 5 hours for a new tyre, welp.

This is why the sooner they move to driverless haul trucks the better - they have LIDAR systems in the front that would have detected and gone around the Awareness Cone that was on the borehole.

edit:

TheDon01 posted:

:psyduck:how:psyduck:

Memento fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

TheDon01 posted:

Great shot, kid, that was one in a million!