Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

OldMemes posted:

Lloyd might be the best show Brad has done, aside from the Cinema Snob and 80s Dan. Speaking of which, I hope he does more 80s Dan, it's been years since the last episode, and they were great fun. He turned a one off joke character into a really funny and charming show.

He said he want to do a 80's dan movie, and he said that he already have the replacement for ROB in Linkara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Cyron posted:

My issue with star fox is that there is no option for turning it off, Nintendo have been relativity good with having the option for normal controls in their higher profile games like Mario Kart or splatoon. i feel like you could of turned no a system to play it like SF64, there be more positive buzz about the game.

Not only is it mandatory, but most people hate it because it's a mandatory control scheme that's completely unnecessary. It doesn't add anything to the experience, and detracts from it for those that don't like it. If they wanted to be innovative, "a new Star Fox game after over 10 years" is innovative enough.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Someone linked Night Mind recently, and I've been watching their videos for the last two days. It's good, creepy stuff.

That loving Hey Kids channel...

imo Hey Kids tries a bit too hard while not seeming to have a sense of direction. after the Hitler thing it stopped being creepy to me all together.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

watho posted:

imo Hey Kids tries a bit too hard while not seeming to have a sense of direction. after the Hitler thing it stopped being creepy to me all together.

I should have my post clearer: Hey Kids isn't part of the cool creepy stuff, but more of a generic "what the poo poo".

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Pretty good video on the new Doom by a guy I've never heard of before today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nyrtaPCQ3A

Levelcap did a video on the same subject recently. I think they're both right to be concerned about whether the new Doom will miss the point of the old one. And that Killing Floor 2 is pretty much the contemporary spiritual successor to the O.G. Doom. :getin:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I can't speak for single player yet, but I played the multiplayer beta for the new Doom game and I thought it was pretty fast-paced and fun. Execution moves were only a thing I used every now and then since killing people from afar is usually safer and faster, running around and double jumping everywhere was a blast on its own. Unfortunately it's hard to really judge the single player footage they've shown, because all of it has the player going through at a slow pace to show off the animations and atmosphere and stuff, while the difficulty is turned down to absolute zero to keep anything from going wrong in the presentation. I don't think it really represents how the game will play out in practice at all.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I unironically like that this thread jumps between "discussing internet critics" and "critically discussing things on the internet" depending on whether anyone's done a thing lately. (As long as it's not descending into slapfights.)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

This thread has a nice combination of people who enjoy different types of media and a lot of the discussions here are very interesting. :shobon:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Night Minds is pretty great in terms of analysis and presentation, but it feels like he has a lot of padding in his videos, in particular he lets clips from whatever he's reviewing play for way too long.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Miss Wallace posted:

I think honestly the people that talked about it before were sort of lovely liars to begin with and no one really took them seriously (ie LordKat and Aussie Guy). Maybe some smaller folks mentioned some of the things they did, but they weren't big enough names to get much attention, or involved enough with internal politics to know just how deep the rabbit hole goes. I mean honestly no one still on the site has talked or will talk about this stuff because Michaud will absolutely strong arm them into kicking them out. And if someone is let go from the site, it's easy to just lump them into being bitter and only talking about it because they're gone. But unless you're big enough that they can't like Lewis, if you so much as complain to them you're gone.

Hehe... let's see if that rabbit hole goes any deeper:

Leon Thomas - Goodbye Channel Awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJGRejEbqc8

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Tracula posted:

I think the first claimant gets all of the money and locks out other people from saying its theirs for dosh?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMidHqWGQAM

Well gently caress then. Create your YouTube account. Create a sockpuppet account called "International Media Ventures" or something. Upload your video to YouTube, then instantly "claim" monetization on it. Never contest those claims.

=(

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Pretty good video on the new Doom by a guy I've never heard of before today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nyrtaPCQ3A

Levelcap did a video on the same subject recently. I think they're both right to be concerned about whether the new Doom will miss the point of the old one. And that Killing Floor 2 is pretty much the contemporary spiritual successor to the O.G. Doom. :getin:

This guy seems like a bit of a dipshit. "It should be an option" is just a quick way to say "I don't actually get game design". Somehow the completely optional execution moves are gonna slow him down? But then he acknowledges that they're optional anyway, and wants an option to disable the highlighting just so he isn't reminded of the option. I don't think this guy needed 11 minutes to say "I really want Doom 4 to be exactly like Doom 1 in every single way."

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Alacron posted:

Night Minds is pretty great in terms of analysis and presentation, but it feels like he has a lot of padding in his videos, in particular he lets clips from whatever he's reviewing play for way too long.

I kind of agree. It's often important to let them play out in order to demonstrate the point he's making. Especially when it's about visual storytelling. There are definitely some clips that could've been edited down to a fraction of their length though. Cough cough the horse apple bit in his This House Has People In It analysis.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

lornekates posted:

Well gently caress then. Create your YouTube account. Create a sockpuppet account called "International Media Ventures" or something. Upload your video to YouTube, then instantly "claim" monetization on it. Never contest those claims.

=(

This... this can't actually work, can it?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DStecks posted:

This guy seems like a bit of a dipshit. "It should be an option" is just a quick way to say "I don't actually get game design". Somehow the completely optional execution moves are gonna slow him down? But then he acknowledges that they're optional anyway, and wants an option to disable the highlighting just so he isn't reminded of the option. I don't think this guy needed 11 minutes to say "I really want Doom 4 to be exactly like Doom 1 in every single way."

Maybe the slow-mo weapon switching isn't the most perfectly elegant way of doing things, but it seems like an obvious and necessary concession for console players who don't have the benefit of the 1-8 keys to instantly switch to any weapon at will, especially if the game really is as fast paced as its being hyped to be. I can't believe we've hit a point where someone is attempting to claim that they've "dumbed down" loving weapon switching and he acts as though hunting down that oh-so-slippery 3 key to pull out your shotgun was a big part classic Doom rather than a basic keyboard command.

He also seems to think "fast paced" and "conditional slow motion" are mutually exclusive. :raise: Like, yeah, there's a point to be made about the execution moves potentially doing odd things to the pace of combat and whether or not they're necessary at all, but it sometimes sounds like he's objecting purely on the basis that slow is the opposite of fast, so that's a contradiction! How often are you going to be switching weapons, anyway?

I'm also baffled by his claim that Doom was all about cramped, close-quarters map design because as far as I recall Doom 1&2 didn't really favor any one particular style of map, and the dodge-em-up nature of the movement meant that it rarely stuffed you into tight confines for extended periods of time. :confused:

Bonus points for the inevitable "these hobbyists (who don't have to work under a budget/deadline, develop on a totally different engine, answer to corporate, be rated by the ESRB and pass console certification, or worry about appealing to the mass market) put out a superior product to the AAA studio" bit.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Jim Sterling just chewed out Star Fox Zero with his review. I feel like I'm the only sane person left on the planet, because everyone's complaining about how awful the motion controls are, but I when I played it I thought it played fine. Aiming felt like it did in Splatoon, which everyone - myself included - seemed to like just fine.

Nobody complained about splatoon aiming because you could turn off the gyroscope and use the joystick like god intended.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

lornekates posted:

Hehe... let's see if that rabbit hole goes any deeper:

Leon Thomas - Goodbye Channel Awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJGRejEbqc8

Glad to see more folks branching out. :)

Leon's Pre-Emptive FAQ posted:

10. Are you going to make a bridge-burning post that we have seen after other departures?
No.

Why you gotta throw shade, Leon.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I have to admit that I'm very skeptical of Doom 4. I didn't play the free open beta (I'm not big on death-match, and it doesn't look like it's available on Steam anymore), but it sounds like the reception was pretty mixed, leaning more towards the negative side.

The phrase that keeps getting repeated is that it's about being 'fast', which I think is kind of off the mark. Doom, when compared to modern FPSs, is much faster in terms of movement (Quake even more so), but I think it's less about speed, and more about the general flow of gameplay. You're always doing something: shooting demons, looking for ammo/keys/health. It's simple and straight-forward. Contrast that to that demon attack recording scene from the Doom 4 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQpxDFExwhU&t=288s. It seems unnecessary, especially when in the original game, all you did was walk over a keycard and then open the door with a single key-press.

The take-downs seem like they're wrenching away control from the player. It reminds me of something Yahtzee said regarding the Thief reboot.

Yahtzee posted:

Token nods to the originals broken up with Uncharted-style puzzles, climby bits, and action escape sequences, lest we concentrate on one thing long enough to realize what a mess we've made. Where you can't even bop a guy across the bonce without feeling a hundred meddling pairs of hands, adding irritating music stings and elaborate takedown animations, until you might as well be smashing their heads between a pair of cymbals for all the subtlety it has.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

The phrase that keeps getting repeated is that it's about being 'fast', which I think is kind of off the mark. Doom, when compared to modern FPSs, is much faster in terms of movement (Quake even more so), but I think it's less about speed, and more about the general flow of gameplay.

Ding Ding Ding!

I haven't played or watched any of the new Doom game but the thing that's so good about the first two ones is the pacing. The momentum and flow of the levels is impeccable.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Deport The Irish posted:

Nobody complained about splatoon aiming because you could turn off the gyroscope and use the joystick like god intended.

Twin sticks are the worst shooter control method ever devised and literally anything else is superior. Wii remote, gyro, anything.

And splatoon's gyro controls are spectacular.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Or you know just use the same control method as any of the previous Star Fox games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

Or you know just use the same control method as any of the previous Star Fox games.

It does though. It controls exactly like Star Fox 64, you just have the option to use the gamepad gyroscope to fine-tune your aim.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Twin sticks are the worst shooter control method ever devised and literally anything else is superior. Wii remote, gyro, anything.

And splatoon's gyro controls are spectacular.

if you're some kind of hosed up mutant weirdo with lovely thumb nubs maybe

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Brad reviews something that sort of technically qualifies as kind of a movie if you squint

Interesting.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Deport The Irish posted:

I think based on player stats they found that the vast majority use gryo controls.

e: Yup, 70-80%.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/vast-majority-of-splatoon-players-use-motion-contr/1100-6429165/

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Do you like carrots?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I'm under the impression that, on the :siren:pro splatoon tournament scene:siren:, everyone uses gyro controls because they're way more responsive once you get used to them. It's the dvorak keyboard of shooters, except if dvorak keyboards actually worked.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

watho posted:

Ding Ding Ding!

I haven't played or watched any of the new Doom game but the thing that's so good about the first two ones is the pacing. The momentum and flow of the levels is impeccable.

See, you're asking ~gamer fans~ to understand nuanced design and how a design ethos evolves and translates across generations, as opposed to superfluous troper-level "critique" that offers basically nothing for actual game designers to learn from.

Game make go fast so next game make go fast too! why no go fast why there slow in game??? lazy poopoo devs!! tru gamers entitled to exactly what want!!! pls subscribe 4 mor cool cynicism about safe and easy topics bcus cynicism is cool but only when it's about things that are """""apolitical""""".

and gee i sure am surprised that ~gamers~ seem to conveniently avoid mentioning that the mod dev they prop up as DOOM'S SAVIOR or whatever is a massive loving creep that tried to patch in actual pictures of real gore as sprites, alongside running the gamut of MRA traits, with a dash of sending a page about how to commit suicide to a suicidal person because haha troled u!!!

oh wait, no, that doesn't surprise me at all actually.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Who are you talking about? Please share the drama with the rest of the class.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Moartoast posted:

and gee i sure am surprised that ~gamers~ seem to conveniently avoid mentioning that the mod dev they prop up as DOOM'S SAVIOR or whatever is a massive loving creep that tried to patch in actual pictures of real gore as sprites, alongside running the gamut of MRA traits, with a dash of sending a page about how to commit suicide to a suicidal person because haha troled u!!!

You're trying way too hard. I don't know anything about the guy myself because it has nothing to do with whether Brutal Doom has good or bad game design.

I think Doom 4 should keep the executions down to single-player though. The complaint about multiplayer executions isn't that you can't just shoot the blinking guy again to finish him but that the execution QTE replaces a melee animation altogether AFAIK. Meleeing to last hit one guy might be faster when he's in your face, and then you can finish that reload and use the gun on someone else.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moartoast posted:

See, you're asking ~gamer fans~ to understand nuanced design and how a design ethos evolves and translates across generations, as opposed to superfluous troper-level "critique" that offers basically nothing for actual game designers to learn from.

Game make go fast so next game make go fast too! why no go fast why there slow in game??? lazy poopoo devs!! tru gamers entitled to exactly what want!!! pls subscribe 4 mor cool cynicism about safe and easy topics bcus cynicism is cool but only when it's about things that are """""apolitical""""".

If you're talking about Brutal DOOM then I think you overestimate the popularity of it. People have been complaining about brutal DOOM ruining the community for years and have considered it emblematic of people championing the tertiary elements of DOOM's appeal over the brilliant combat mechanics.

I actually think the new DOOM looks like it has more in common with Brutal DOOM than with anything I liked from the original, but I won't really know till I play it.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I understand hating Brutal DOOM though, it's a lovely mod made by a turd.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Can't recall exactly but didn't Brutal Doom use actual photos of gore for its gibs and such? Knowing how much of a fucker the creator is it would't surprise me.

Yep. I was right.
"Today I decided to take the gore of Brutal Doom to a whole new level! Through these two years of development, some gib sprites from Nashgore still remained, so, I decided to make whole new sprites to replace them. Where to find the material? Making fake wax pieces of gore myself and taking pics of it? No, but searching the internet for REAL gore, and trying to turn pieces of these pictures of REAL DEAD PEOPLE into sprites.

In this demostrative video you can see 3 pieces of REAL GORE: These pinky brain pieces at 00:07 were taken from a picture of a guy wich got his head ran over by a bus, and his brain splattered all over the street. The eye globe at 00:10 is taken from a guy that got his face shoot by a shotgun at point blank. These generic meat pieces flying at 01:10 are from a pic of a guy butchered by the mexican cartels.

I’m not going to remake ALL sprites using real gore because it takes a lot of time, and it takes hours searching for pictures with the gore in an useable condidtion and angle to be used, but if anybody knows where I can find a clear picture of exposed human entrails, please send the link via PM”

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Why is it that modders are such awful people?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The guy behind Brutal Doom is a special kind of awful. I mean giant tits and anime babes in Skyrim is dumb and usually pretty gross but it's mostly harmless and worth laughing at. When you start using actual gore in your mod and you're loving proud of it there's a line that you crossed a few thousand miles back.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
You guys got me curious so I looked up some gameplay videos of Brutal Doom. Looks like mindless fun. Guess I've got brain problems! :downs: I'll stick with Chex Quest or Super Noah's Ark 3D.

For all the brutal-edge the modder intends I don't think you can make out any actual gore in the 16-bits. I suppose he may have used gore poses which wouldn't be a new lowses, but I may be supposing erroneously.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Deport The Irish posted:

Well, actually it was good because the mixture of gyro and analog control (use analog to rotate, gyro for the actual aiming) minimized the potential for the gyroscope to poo poo itself and eliminated the need to play the game on a spinning chair. Haven't played Star Fox so don't know if it does that.

watho posted:

Ding Ding Ding!

Again, can't really speak for the single player level design at all because of limited exposure but the core mechanics work great, movement is incredibly satisfying, and I never felt like my pacing was grounded to a halt unless I explicitly chose to stop for a moment and revel in a gory execution before moving on. Granted, it's a bit hard to imagine a modern shooter nailing the level design the same way the classics did but I'll stay optimistic, Wolfenstein and Dishonored were modern first-person games that still had good level design.

Moartoast posted:

I'll be the first person to talk about how lovely the gaming community is, but you need to calm down, dude.

Using real gore is pretty loving awful though, it's also pointless since Doom graphics make it so you can't really tell the difference. Reminds me of a steam indie game Jim Sterling played once that apparently used audio from real 9/11 calls or something along those lines. I forgot the name but it was really creepy and exploitive.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I normally wouldn't consider Jon Bois a "video reviewer," but he just did a really funny breakdown of death in the series "24."

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

poparena posted:

I normally wouldn't consider Jon Bois a "video reviewer," but he just did a really funny breakdown of death in the series "24."

I'm watching it now, god this is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

poparena posted:

Came here to recommend this. It bugs me how he always balances the music so much higher than his voice, but it really helps with the comedy stings here.

• Locked thread