Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I know I mentioned this after first discovering this thread, but anyone aware of any good animal/zoology/nature podcasts? I realize it's not the same without the visuals but I'm just envisioning something like Attenborough going on about something spectacular.

DO I

* American Museum of Natural History (sort of a general natural history podcast but they have a bunch of zoology-specific one, last one I listened to was a sea anemone researcher talking about sea anemones for an hour)
* I Know Dino
* In Defense of Plants (ok it's botany, but that's still nature)
* Off Exhibit At the Maryland Zoo
* Tetrapod Zoology Podcats (from the Tetrapod Zoology blog)
* This Week in (Virology / Parasitism / Microbiology / Evolution), all 4 run by Vincent Racanello with a bunch of other regulars. Might be a bit more medical than what you're looking for tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

fritz posted:

DO I

* American Museum of Natural History (sort of a general natural history podcast but they have a bunch of zoology-specific one, last one I listened to was a sea anemone researcher talking about sea anemones for an hour)
* I Know Dino
* In Defense of Plants (ok it's botany, but that's still nature)
* Off Exhibit At the Maryland Zoo
* Tetrapod Zoology Podcats (from the Tetrapod Zoology blog)
* This Week in (Virology / Parasitism / Microbiology / Evolution), all 4 run by Vincent Racanello with a bunch of other regulars. Might be a bit more medical than what you're looking for tho.

Yes! These are definitely gonna get slotted once I'm done binging Lexicon Valley, which is terrific.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
retrospective music podcasts please. Analysis of great albums, interviews with important people from whatever subculture is the topic, anything as long as it's in-depth and about music history.

There's a podcast series in my country that does retrospective album analysis, but it's in my native tongue, and from a country where nothing musically relevant has ever happened, so they don't have a lot of personal insight or interviews of any kind.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Song exploder

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

blue squares posted:

Song exploder

looks real interesting, thanks for the suggestion

E: anything else? the more the better

Trier fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 8, 2016

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Trier posted:

retrospective music podcasts please. Analysis of great albums, interviews with important people from whatever subculture is the topic, anything as long as it's in-depth and about music history.

There's a podcast series in my country that does retrospective album analysis, but it's in my native tongue, and from a country where nothing musically relevant has ever happened, so they don't have a lot of personal insight or interviews of any kind.

What's the native tongue/country? It could be interesting to any multi-lingual listeners amongst us.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What's the native tongue/country? It could be interesting to any multi-lingual listeners amongst us.

Danish/Denmark. Doubt anyone not from Denmark speak our language, we barely speak it ourselves anymore. I'll link the podcast though
http://www.dr.dk/p6beat/album/

We also have a show that only happens every once in a while, where they spend 6 hours on an artist
http://www.dr.dk/p6beat/p6-beat-elsker/

Trier fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 8, 2016

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cool thanks. It's not the one of the languages I speak, but that is certainly a cool idea for a show.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I want to second or third a couple of recommendations I've come across here recently that I appreciated:

The Unresolved Podcast: (True crime podcast) All the good things I liked about Sword and Scale, without the host's unfortunate views. I'm still in the first series of episodes, but I'm really digging it so far. As others have brought up, the soundtrack is pretty decent. True crime stuff always seems to walk the line on including all the minute details of cases that big-time crime fans seem to need and I think the host strikes a good balance. He doesn't get let the show get dragged down by it.

This Won't Hurt a Bit: (Medical show) This one is a lot of fun. The production is snappy, and the pace is nice and brisk. It's pretty much the perfect length at half an hour -- not so long that you get bored or bogged down, but not too short to dig into something.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

ChetReckless posted:

I want to second or third a couple of recommendations I've come across here recently that I appreciated:

The Unresolved Podcast: (True crime podcast) All the good things I liked about Sword and Scale, without the host's unfortunate views. I'm still in the first series of episodes, but I'm really digging it so far. As others have brought up, the soundtrack is pretty decent. True crime stuff always seems to walk the line on including all the minute details of cases that big-time crime fans seem to need and I think the host strikes a good balance. He doesn't get let the show get dragged down by it.

This Won't Hurt a Bit: (Medical show) This one is a lot of fun. The production is snappy, and the pace is nice and brisk. It's pretty much the perfect length at half an hour -- not so long that you get bored or bogged down, but not too short to dig into something.

Thanks for the recommendations.

someone knows something sounds like an interesting podcast. It is about cold cases.

I was just looking for a list of true crime podcasts and headed over to the Sword and Scale subReddit to see if they had a list. Lol the host of S&S melted down in that subReddit in January, banned everyone, deleted all posts critiquing the podcast, and threatened legal action against the other mods and admins that started the subReddit. Holy Moly. All because someone said season 2 had been weak.

The list had all the podcast already lost here.

Dr. David PHD
Mar 12, 2010

ChetReckless posted:

The Unresolved Podcast: (True crime podcast) All the good things I liked about Sword and Scale, without the host's unfortunate views.

I just started listening to Sword and Scale, been mildly interested in true crime since watching Making a Murderer. Gonna check this out since overall I'm not entirely happy with the cases they're presenting, curious about what you mean by "unfortunate views" though... or did Mr Hootington cover most of it?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Dr. David PHD posted:

I just started listening to Sword and Scale, been mildly interested in true crime since watching Making a Murderer. Gonna check this out since overall I'm not entirely happy with the cases they're presenting, curious about what you mean by "unfortunate views" though... or did Mr Hootington cover most of it?

It has been covered before and I'm not sure how far back you have looked at posts. The hosts views that leak through are that mentally ill people are all very bad. when he talks about failures of the system Mike never actually talks about why and how the system fails. There is hints of needing "justice" and that it is "too bad" cops didn't kill murderers when they are caught. Finally in a recent episode that has a very sad case about a boy who was so abused he killed another boy to escape. The abused boy is obviously a monster mike says.

In the first season it didn't leak through that much. Just once in awhile and it is probably some of the best true crime media. Second season onwards it becomes more pronounced.

The Reddit stuff I just posted I found today. It seems that Mike is just a shithead in real life.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Dr. David PHD posted:

I always found that there is an undercurrent of fear-mongering in S&S, and a real lack of understanding in the relationship between mental illness and the types of crimes that are the focus of the podcast. Very much a "monsters can be anywhere, maybe even someone close to you!" kind of thing with particular emphasis on how scary (and inevitably dangerous) crazy people can be. He has a very surface-level view of the issues at play that I found borderline offensive at times. I may be particularly prone as I (foolishly) took Psychology in University, so your results may vary.

Just as an example, here is the episode summary of Episode 31:

quote:

There are 2.2 million schizophrenics in the United States. You have a one in a hundred chance of encountering one on any given day, and when you do hopefully that isn’t the day when the voices in their head are telling them to kill you. This week we tell you the story of three people who were minding their own business, going about their day either taking a trip, going to work, or just relaxing at home after a long day. Each of these people have one thing in common: they all became victims of paranoid schizophrenics. The fact is they are all around us and until we, as a society, begin to treat mental health issues more seriously we will all continue to be possible targets of the madness around us.

Another problem I have with the podcast is the over-reliance on supplemental recorded audio (news stories, interviews from elsewhere, audio direct from the perpetrators, etc.). It was actually one of the things that drew me to the podcast in the first place -- there is a real spooky vibe to a lot of it, and it does a lot to put you into the story (and remind you that these aren't just stories, but real things that happened to and by real people). For example, I found But by the time I gave up on the podcast (about 30-40 episodes in) it seemed like it was just there to pad the length of the thing. Like he stopped picking and choosing good stuff and just started putting it all out there.

Possibly related to some combination of the above, it also seemed like the host got increasingly fixated on the gruesome details of the crimes. Like, way into them the same way people telling horror stories around a campfire do. I suppose some people get into True Crime stuff to really wallow in the terrible things people do to one another, but I prefer a more clinical summary like I've been finding in The Unresolved Podcast. I think it may have been the Luke Magnotta episodes, with graphic descriptions and audio of human and animal torture, that were the last straw for me. He also comes across as very righteous about all of it, which is probably pretty tempting when it comes to these kind of crimes but still comes off as weirdly unsavory to me. Lots of rending of garments over how unfathomable these crimes are and how inconceivably monstrous the criminals are. The melodrama gets a little tiring.

Another example, the rest of the Episode 31 description:

quote:

In this episode we discuss the cases of Vince Weiguang Li, Alton Nolen and Derek Ward. All three of these men decapitated their victims with a complete lack of empathy or mercy. The brutality of their attacks are unimaginable and terrifying. If these stories don’t give you nightmares, you should seek counseling yourself.

Anyway. I did enjoy some episodes of the podcast, particularly the early episodes, but some of the host's views just got to be a bit much eventually.

edit -- tl;dr: I'll basically echo what Mr. Hootington said and add that you can listen, but maybe considering bailing after the first season.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 11, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh perfect timing, I was genuinely just about to post asking if anyone knew good "long form" true crime. I never got into Lore's style and while I don't think I'll ever drop S&S (it helps that I went in prepared with all the goon stuff about host tendencies that sucked and episodes to avoid) I'm definitely looking for better.
I'm not really surprised by Mike being a try hard melt down type of dude though, I mean the corny cannibal robot voice prank call after that ep I'm never listening to was really sign enough.
It's a well produced show with surprisingly great music at times (it was kind of disconcerting just finding myself rocking out in between a story about brutal killers though). It really wasn't just Mike and his tendencies to hate on/fearmonger defense attorneys and the mentally ill though, I think he's a decent enough to pretty good host when he's not tangling himself with those topics he always mishandles, he just also tends to surround himself with (I presume) an unavoidable lame aspect of the true crime genre alongside the basic lookie here sensationalistic exploitative nature of a lot of it: dumb smug hicks, be they tangentially involved, directly involved, telling the story, whatever, there'd always be some hick with their twisted sense of hick justice warbling on about something as Mike's "expert guest".
There's a lot of interesting and compelling stories and I still enjoy new episodes but it just often suffers from that black and white "go get em, get the bad guy!" simpleton attitude on crime and justice.
Time to try out The Unresolved Podcast.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 11, 2016

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Mr Hootington posted:

I am about ready to drop it too. I'm tired of him harping on mentally ill people, victims, and system failures that could be solved but do not. The guy needs to do an episode arc about how and why the system is failing. Why are these mentally ill not getting help? Why is DHS failing? He doesn't have the balls to do it.

It's not that he doesn't have the balls, it's because he's a manichean fascist who thinks he's performing a service to the world as a force for good in a binary world beset by evil.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
mike boudet is a rube and and idiot.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
maybe the next murderer... could be right inside your house right now. *2 minutes and 45 seconds of deep house plays*

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
To get away from S&S, I have found two more D&D podcasts that are newer and do not seem too bad so far.

Dungeons and Dragons and Chillseems to have some of the same problems most D&D podcasts have at the beginning with talking over each other and having giggle fits constantly. If they worked through this and the DM took control a bit more this could be a good listen.

Bros and Dragons is a group of older, veteran players playing D&D. It will not blow you away, but is good enough so far. The DM is great at keeping the game on track while not squeezing out the funny moments.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

ChetReckless posted:

I listened to a few episodes of The Unresolved Podcast recently, and I just can't get past the stilted-yet-sensationalistic delivery of the host. It's just really offputting, which is disappointing, because I think that topics are interesting and well researched. I have the opposite problem with the host of Lore, who has a weird pretentious cadence.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The best crime podcast I listened to was when You Must Remember This covered the Manson murders.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Mr Hootington posted:

To get away from S&S, I have found two more D&D podcasts that are newer and do not seem too bad so far.

Dungeons and Dragons and Chillseems to have some of the same problems most D&D podcasts have at the beginning with talking over each other and having giggle fits constantly. If they worked through this and the DM took control a bit more this could be a good listen.

Bros and Dragons is a group of older, veteran players playing D&D. It will not blow you away, but is good enough so far. The DM is great at keeping the game on track while not squeezing out the funny moments.

I like the RPPR actual play podcast despite the fact that they've been doing it for like half a decade and still have lovely mics

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm looking for some thing along the lines of last podcast on the left any good alternatives?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I'm still a huge fan of S&S, and I can understand anyone who doesn't like it, and I'm going to point out that he has a couple times alluded to the fact that he has autism (clinically) and his podcast is very well produced and satisfies my morbid curiosity. That having been said, I'm adding the Unresolved podcast to my lineup soon.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

bollig posted:

I'm still a huge fan of S&S, and I can understand anyone who doesn't like it, and I'm going to point out that he has a couple times alluded to the fact that he has autism (clinically) and his podcast is very well produced and satisfies my morbid curiosity. That having been said, I'm adding the Unresolved podcast to my lineup soon.
No, I mean, I'm the same, I understand. There aren't a lot of great options. The thing about his issues and flaws is that they're usually identifiable enough to avoid completely if you know about them beforehand. It's weird because I never caught his allusions to being autistic. I have completely skipped a few episodes though, like that one where he just has a robot voice read cannibal chatlogs or w/e that is.
And when he was like I'M GONNA PLAY THE HAMMER MANIACS VIDEO I was just like, "dooooon't wanna ever hear or see that poo poo again...I'm not 15 anymore trying to desensitize myself for no reason...NOPE." Watch out for that for anyone who might start the podcast.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I just started listening to The Bright Sessions. It is a fiction podcast with premise of a psychologist having sessions with patients that have unique situations. For example the first episode the patient spontaneously time travels.

It is a well done fiction podcast and most episodes clock in at 15 minutes. I recommend it to those that enjoy the radio theater.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Mike Boudet having autism has nothing to do with the fact that he's morally reprehensible and even seriously calls into question why he, as a person with a psychological disorder, thinks all people with schizophrenia should be killed or imprisoned

Alvie
May 22, 2008

Anybody know a decent Call of Cthulhu podcast? I tried searching through the thread and found a few to avoid but there's gotta be at least one decent one out there. I lean towards the goofier shows like Adventure Zone more than a totally dry game session. I tried listening to the first episode of the Call of Cthulhu Mystery Program, but it just seemed a bit dumb. If not Call of Cthulhu, I'd settle for something at least in the Lovecraft ballpark. I'm trying to find a decent podcast to listen to with my friend, who loves CoC but has no other RPG experience.

Dr. David PHD
Mar 12, 2010
Anyone have any good alternatives to Anything Ghost or Jim Harold's Matress Endorsements Campfire Tales?

I like spooky ghost stories, used to be a big fan of the quarterly ghost story threads here on SA back in the day and am looking for something similar in tone. Anything Ghost is pretty good actually, it has lame stories here and there but there are enough interesting and novel ones that I don't mind. I will probably shell out the 20 bucks to hear the entire archive at some point, but that's not an option for at least a few weeks. Jim Harold's show is horrible, the bar for who he invites onto the show seems to be pretty low, he has no sense of how to interview his guests properly, and it's riddled with advertisements. Not interested in stuff like Nightvale, mostly because I'm more interested in direct narratives than having to follow one big story. A bit of campiness is fine, and the stories don't exactly have to be believable, just entertaining.

ChetReckless posted:

The Truth is a series of one-off audio fiction and some of the stories can get pretty spooky, usually around Halloween. I'd say maybe check out the episodes "The Death of Poe", "Silvia's Blood", "The Devil You Know", and the two parter "In Good Hands".

Trying this for now but still interested in other suggestions!

Dr. David PHD fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 20, 2016

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Dr. David PHD posted:

Anyone have any good alternatives to Anything Ghost or Jim Harold's Matress Endorsements Campfire Tales?

Lore
The Black Tapes (this one eventually moves in an overarching plot in an interesting way, but it's one of the best supernatural story podcasts I've found. X-Files meets Ghost Hunters)
The No Sleep Podcast
Knifepoint Horror

Edit: the Dollop still has some of my favorite true ghost stories I've ever heard, but they're comedians telling and joking about actual historical stories. If that interests you, look into these episodes: "Ghosts", "American Vampire Panic", "The Talk Board", "Australian Exorcists", "Spiderman of Denver", "The Mad Gasser", "The Greenbrier Ghost". One of the best podcasts, hilarious and informative, well-researched as well

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 20, 2016

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Under the vegetable posted:

Mike Boudet having autism has nothing to do with the fact that he's morally reprehensible and even seriously calls into question why he, as a person with a psychological disorder, thinks all people with schizophrenia should be killed or imprisoned

The way I kind of viewed his style is more like he exaggerates because that's what old time radio did. I never took in what he said was what he honestly believed, more like someone trying to scare you into a story (maybe I'm giving him too much of the benefit of the doubt). But seriously that child thing, and the showing the friend the tapes was really off putting.

Does anyone know of any crime podcasts that covers things besides murder cases? Something like Detective really good police storytelling that doesn't have to do with murder. White collar crimes would be cool too. I wouldn't even mind just straight up lawyer cases or some kind of legal storytelling thing.

Also I'm looking for podcasts about the process of filmmaking/storytelling. Thanks.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Nude posted:

The way I kind of viewed his style is more like he exaggerates because that's what old time radio did. I never took in what he said was what he honestly believed, more like someone trying to scare you into a story (maybe I'm giving him too much of the benefit of the doubt). But seriously that child thing, and the showing the friend the tapes was really off putting.

Does anyone know of any crime podcasts that covers things besides murder cases? Something like Detective really good police storytelling that doesn't have to do with murder. White collar crimes would be cool too. I wouldn't even mind just straight up lawyer cases or some kind of legal storytelling thing.

Also I'm looking for podcasts about the process of filmmaking/storytelling. Thanks.

Criminal is what you are looking for as far as true crime.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So since Worst Episode Ever sucks dong are there any actually good podcasts about The Simpsons?

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Everything's Coming Up. Try: http://everythingscominguppodcast.libsyn.com/episode-6-a-fish-called-selma-with-josh-weinstein

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011

Jippa posted:

I'm looking for some thing along the lines of last podcast on the left any good alternatives?

I like True Crime Garage . The two hosts are rather laid back and have a good chemistry going on.
They are not trying to be funny, but there is some black humour now and then.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Minister of Chance posted:

I like True Crime Garage . The two hosts are rather laid back and have a good chemistry going on.

Sounds perfect thanks.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Minister of Chance posted:

Also try My Favorite Murderer. It's two women with great chemistry.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Alvie posted:

Anybody know a decent Call of Cthulhu podcast? I tried searching through the thread and found a few to avoid but there's gotta be at least one decent one out there. I lean towards the goofier shows like Adventure Zone more than a totally dry game session. I tried listening to the first episode of the Call of Cthulhu Mystery Program, but it just seemed a bit dumb. If not Call of Cthulhu, I'd settle for something at least in the Lovecraft ballpark. I'm trying to find a decent podcast to listen to with my friend, who loves CoC but has no other RPG experience.

Role Playing Public Radio has some fantastic CoC episodes, both stand alones and campaigns. I think their best episode was a mini-campaign, "Call of Cthulhu – U-Boote Heraus Part 1 & 2". It's long, at about 11 hours, but was tightly run with a strong story and ending.

Browsing their archive I'd also strongly recommend:
-Lover in the Ice
-Bryson Springs

They also did a campaign on The Sense of the Sleight of Hand Man, which I enjoyed but I wouldn't recommend as an entry episode.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So since Worst Episode Ever sucks dong are there any actually good podcasts about The Simpsons?

Talking Simpsons is fantastic, they are going through each episode in order and are up to season 3. The hosts are super knowledgeable, the episodes are tightly edited, with a generous heaping of audio clips. They aren't gushing fanboys and will criticize episodes when needed, but will also give mega-episodes their due. Season 1 is behind a Patreon donor wall (worth it) but 2 & 3 are free.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Under the vegetable posted:

I really don't get his early Johnny Gosch episodes...like, these are mostly wacko conspiracy theories from a grieving mother, right? Not too different from the creepy ep about the mother whose daughter (clearly) commits suicide but instead she creates elaborate conspiracy theories...but unlike that one he's seemingly presenting all the Gosch stuff straight up?
Like he's just like...AND YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT
Soooo is this stuff actually credible or did he just decide to skip fact check/scrutiny especially for those two episodes? It's confusing and weirding me out and obviously online research on the subject isn't really elucidating anything.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I really don't get his early Johnny Gosch episodes...like, these are mostly wacko conspiracy theories from a grieving mother, right? Not too different from the creepy ep about the mother whose daughter (clearly) commits suicide but instead she creates elaborate conspiracy theories...but unlike that one he's seemingly presenting all the Gosch stuff straight up?
Like he's just like...AND YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT
Soooo is this stuff actually credible or did he just decide to skip fact check/scrutiny especially for those two episodes? It's confusing and weirding me out and obviously online research on the subject isn't really elucidating anything.

I figured it was mostly bullshit (Gosch's mom is clearly mentally.... something) but it was hung on framework of real events and at least someone believes it's real so I enjoyed it immensely either way.

Kinda like that show TV show Gigolos. It's mostly staged but my man Brace is a real dude out there so sweating how "real" it is seems dumb when you can just go with it.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Four Finger Discount I've found are pretty good, though the fact fact that they're Australian may be making my judgement a bit biased. They have been going through each episode in chronological order, with some side episodes including interviews with people involved with the Simpsons, the most notable so far being Joe Montegna.