Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Laserface posted:

WRT rents going up, is the argument that without negative gearing, becoming a landlord is therefore less profitable, and a higher rental price is required because there is simply less incentive to be a landlord?

Thats the only argument I can see making any sense.

I mean even if prices dropped, my partner and I probably still couldnt afford to buy, so we would (and I imagine a lot of others) still be renters seeking a place. So to say that renters would then be able to afford a home and therefore stop renting (and further, reducing rental demand) doesnt add up.

I suppose maybe in the long term once all us renters have saved up deposits you would see the shift, but short term it feels like prices would go up as the benefit to having cheap (lol) rent to negatively gear the property is now gone.

Yeah, but both parties are suggesting that existing arrangements will be grandfathered in so in the short term nothing changes at all.

BBJoey posted:

poo poo loving all

are you seriously suggesting that Germany would have sent troops to the opposite end of the world in order to conquer what is an occupying power's worst nightmare? Germany's primary goal during the war was lebensraum to the east (as evidenced by their carving up of Russia), not a British dominion separated from them by tens of thousands of miles of ocean.

what loving possibility, mate

Only tangentially related, but no-one really knows what WWI Germany's war aims actually were, least of all anyone involved with the administration of Germany circa 1914. It was a god drat clusterfuck. It's entirely possible the Kaiser kicked everything off by accident because he thought he could win a game of brinkmanship. Certainly it appears he tried to back out but his staff didn't tell the Austrians until after the Austrians had kicked everything off.

About the only people who appeared to have clear and achievable war aims were the Serbians.. and they began WWI with their chief of army on holiday in Austria(!) which tells you everything you need to know about the quality of the strategic planning that was going down.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ewe2 posted:

That perception that Turnbull isn't connected to the general electorate is incredibly damaging: if they turn off on him, the others are doomed. That shot of a sad little Pyne riding hopefully on Turnbull's coattails as he announced the French deal says it all. Yes subs are being built in Adelaide, and the bulk of the money is flying off overseas, again. A fact not lost on his constituents.
Especially since it doesn't cover the loss of employment due to the death of Australian car manufacturing in that state. Most of those submarine jobs are already taken.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You Am I posted:

Especially since it doesn't cover the loss of employment due to the death of Australian car manufacturing in that state. Most of those submarine jobs are already taken.

quote:

Even on the conservative $25bn extra we’re going to pay, we get 3000 jobs when the same Coalition Government has just hosed 50k jobs in the car industry into the sea by refusing to pay $500 million.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2016/04/would-you-employ-chris-pyne-for-24-5bn/

hehe do the maths.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Pretty sure it's even worse than that...a year or so ago, 110k people were directly employed by car manufacturing in SA and Victoria.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
My calculations were wrong, the submarines being built in Adelaide will actually save an additional 3 jobs in the political industry.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/725161387589140480

:australia:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
https://twitter.com/drobwlldiad/status/725147737361113088

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's definitely going on the report.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
In lighter fluid news Essential now has labor in the lead at 52-48, which is sorta impressive because essential always seems to be a little insensitive to change and its results are usually closer together than the others

http://www.crikey.com.au/2016/04/27/labor-takes-early-campaign-lead/

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I have a habit of no reading things fully and filling in the gaps, especially for news headlines. I read that as "set himself free".

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Amoeba102 posted:

I have a habit of no reading things fully and filling in the gaps, especially for news headlines. I read that as "set himself free".

He did that too, probably.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Combustion will set you free.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

They are being treated for serious burns, according to ABC story on it, unclear what the prognosis is.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The scum was obviously just trying to get a trip to an Australian hospital

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Headline: Serious burn for detention centre conditions.

Oh wait I forgot, this poo poo doesn't get a chance at a front page headline.

Magog fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 27, 2016

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Magog posted:

Headline: Serious burn for detention centre conditions.

Oh wait I forgot, this poo poo doesn't get a chance at a front page headline.

Probably be a two centimetre article under a "look at this happy animal" photo

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
In less depressing news, the business council of Australia has come out in support of Labor's carbon reduction scheme.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/apr/27/business-council-praises-labors-bridge-to-emissions-trading-scheme

This means that while it's probably a little weaker than it could be, it also means that it will be harder for Turnbull to continue his 'bad for economy' attack.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Nobody important*

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Also the ABS just reported a 0.2% deflation this quarter, paving the way for a reserve rate cut in the next month or two.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
0.2% deflation may be manageable (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflation) but Oh that's right our country is being run by stooges who can't even get their own bullshit economics straight!

:australia:

What will our next budget do to address it?

___________/
Ask Malcolm!

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I heard that manus island is closing

Bad day for Peter Dutton

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

ABC just announced it. No timeframe specified:
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-27/png-pm-oneill-to-shut-manus-island-detention-centre/7364414

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Nam Taf posted:

Also the ABS just reported a 0.2% deflation this quarter, paving the way for a reserve rate cut in the next month or two.

Oh good, another interest rate cut to inflame the housing market a bit more.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Can we get Daniel Andrew's team to do the next budget? They just did Victoria's and it's all sunshine and happiness, as well as a surplus.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
P duddy is going to have to find a dump truck full of money to drive up to the PNG prime ministers house

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
The phrase "the ruling is binding on the PNG government, but not the Australian government" is immensely arrogant. Seems to be implying that you'll just work around the ruling, gently caress the courts!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

oTHi posted:

The phrase "the ruling is binding on the PNG government, but not the Australian government" is immensely arrogant. Seems to be implying that you'll just work around the ruling, gently caress the courts!

Wouldn't they have to declare the concentration camp an Australian extraterritorial jurisdiction? Which sort of defeats the purpose of having offshore torture centres we can pretend we have no part in governing?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Goffer posted:

Can we get Daniel Andrew's team to do the next budget? They just did Victoria's and it's all sunshine and happiness, as well as a surplus.

Sounds like it's all on the back of the property market going nuts though so we'll be proper hosed if/when it all comes crashing down.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

oTHi posted:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
How could resettling the 850 asylum seekers on Manus in Australia act as a pull factor for other asylum seekers, if that were even a thing, how would it show that Australia was weak on border protection? Would they be looking to challenge Nauru's high court on the legality of their detention centre? It just doesn't make any loving sense.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Pull factors are almost totally bullshit to begin with, but I guess the stupid conservative angle is that other refugees will see people being settled in Australia and load their children onto catapults and fire them into the sea or something.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Jesus loving wept.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

tithin posted:

Jesus loving wept.

Some of the twitter comments for the lurking racists who might desire some "balance":

https://twitter.com/BigDemacia/status/725169514007154688

https://twitter.com/lotus2955/status/725166527272505344

https://twitter.com/douggyhird/status/725163288569352192

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Lotus
@lotus2955
Travel is my business, enjoy reading and watching most sports but esp F1, men's tennis & AFL, slightly cynical. Grammar/spelling :siren: :frogsiren:NAZI :frogsiren: :siren:

https://twitter.com/BigDemacia/status/702469521244708864

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 27, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ewe2 posted:

Some of the twitter comments for the lurking racists who might desire some "balance":

Dutton sockpuppet accounts sighted

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Serious, non-trolling question: why would you set yourself on fire when the government will pay for you to be returned to your home country at any time? Life imprisonment with real, actual torture I can understand self-immolation, but surely just going home would be preferable.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Maybe being locked up in a prison camp affected his mental health?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

LibertyCat posted:

Serious, non-trolling question: why would you set yourself on fire when the government will pay for you to be returned to your home country at any time? Life imprisonment with real, actual torture I can understand self-immolation, but surely just going home would be preferable.

Serious, non-trolling reply: hang yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

LibertyCat posted:

You've answered your own question, really. Perhaps returning to their country of origin means life imprisonment with real, actual torture.

• Locked thread