Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SlayVus posted:

Those Intel chips don't even use DDR4 memory.

That is odd, if you go to the linked article the graphic shows DDR3-1333 and DDR3-2400 which makes a lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!

HalloKitty posted:

One problem is the trend of top vents. Always a black mark against a case for me. Then again, I used my Antec P182 (which at least has a cowl on top) as a place to rest my drinks and somehow never had a problem. I did gaffer tape over the open mesh on the cowl as some kind of preventative measure, though.

When I built a new machine, I moved the room around so I didn't do such stupid things again.

Same deal with me. Corsair 900d top vents. gently caress everything about this case though, I'm never buying a full tower again.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

jt posted:

Same deal with me. Corsair 900d top vents. gently caress everything about this case though, I'm never buying a full tower again.

I recently moved over to a NZXT H440, one thing I like is it has top vents but they are on one side and the back of the top panel facing outwards, the other side curves down so if something did spill on top it would go down the side of the case or pool up top. However it's up on my desk so I don't think anything will be going on top of it anyway.

And yeah, the 900D is a crazy huge case, it ought to have come with casters or something, of course I used to have a Cooler Master Cosmos so I don't have much room to talk about the 900D.

jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I recently moved over to a NZXT H440, one thing I like is it has top vents but they are on one side and the back of the top panel facing outwards, the other side curves down so if something did spill on top it would go down the side of the case or pool up top. However it's up on my desk so I don't think anything will be going on top of it anyway.

And yeah, the 900D is a crazy huge case, it ought to have come with casters or something, of course I used to have a Cooler Master Cosmos so I don't have much room to talk about the 900D.

I would like to have the 900D on my desk to show off my leet cable management but the thing scares me. If it fell over it'd probably kill whatever was under it. Also leaves room for this fuckin guy

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

jt posted:

I would like to have the 900D on my desk to show off my leet cable management but the thing scares me. If it fell over it'd probably kill whatever was under it. Also leaves room for this fuckin guy

Oh, until I read that I thought the "desk" was the 900D and you just threw the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers on top of it. :downsrim:

I had an Antec SX-1000 many years ago and thought that was stupidly huge.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 27, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I had to keep buying cheap dumb cases every couple years when upgrading GPUs because they wouldn't fit. A couple years ago when upgrading my PC I just said "gently caress it" and splurged on this 900D and it's really good imo.

Of course, now the new gpus are getting smaller. I could have saved like $300 by buying a smaller case that was just as good.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Truga posted:

I had to keep buying cheap dumb cases every couple years when upgrading GPUs because they wouldn't fit. A couple years ago when upgrading my PC I just said "gently caress it" and splurged on this 900D and it's really good imo.

Of course, now the new gpus are getting smaller. I could have saved like $300 by buying a smaller case that was just as good.

Cases got way better all of a sudden. My $60 NZXT S340 is pretty awesome for a basic case too. Not that good for mounting a bunch of radiators, but...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
All I've got to say is Fractal Design. <.<;;;;

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, they forced all the other manufacturers to really up their game when they released the first Define R2. Especially for how inexpensive it was ($109 vs $200-whatever for the Antec P183) for the features.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Word. I've got a windowless Define R5 with 5 case fans, a dual fan tower cpu cooler, and a Fury Nitro and it's barely audible running full tilt. Turning on the ceiling fan or putting on (open back!) headphones blots it out completely. I consider it one of the best computer purchases I've ever made.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Theris posted:

Word. I've got a windowless Define R5 with 5 case fans, a dual fan tower cpu cooler, and a Fury Nitro and it's barely audible running full tilt. Turning on the ceiling fan or putting on (open back!) headphones blots it out completely. I consider it one of the best computer purchases I've ever made.

Got a Define R5 last month and I did a double take when I walked behind it because I could only really hear the fan going when I was directly in line of sight of it. I had to walk forward and backward a couple of times to work out that was actually what I was hearing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm surprised it didn't burn out my 6850 when I was mining back in the day cause I accidently set the fan speed of 40% for months. poo poo was a wind-tunnel otherwise.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

jt posted:

But without top vents, where would my cat curl up to sleep in the winter?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rukus posted:

Yeah, they forced all the other manufacturers to really up their game when they released the first Define R2. Especially for how inexpensive it was ($109 vs $200-whatever for the Antec P183) for the features.

Antec still doesn't get it though. Such a high end brand now releases absolute poo poo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

By line: Polaris573

i want to believe

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Looks like rumors that AMD are targeting mainstream price points are correct:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/amd-polaris-will-be-a-mainstream-gpu/

quote:

The reason Polaris is a big deal, is because I believe we will be able to grow that TAM [total addressable market] significantly," said Taylor. "I don't think Nvidia is going to do anything to increase the TAM, because according to everything we've seen around Pascal, it's a high-end part. I don't know what the price is gonna be, but let's say it's as low as £500/$600 and as high as £800/$1000. That price range is not going to expand the TAM for VR. We're going on the record right now to say Polaris will expand the TAM. Full stop.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm giving Precision X (for fan control) + Nvidia Inspector (for OC) a try, since GPUTweak kept resetting my god drat fan curve every time I restarted.

Does inspector measure the memory clock differently? I basically copied the offsets from gpuTweak over to inspector, but in GPUTweak I used to have ~7400 Mhz memory clock, and with Inspector I'm getting ~38700 mhz (which is about half of what GPUTweak used to show).

Also, I can't "unlock" the temp target from the power target as I could in GPU, whenever I put the temp as low as it goes and click on "apply" it jumps back to 79:

GPUTweak:

Inspector:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm giving Precision X (for fan control) + Nvidia Inspector (for OC) a try, since GPUTweak kept resetting my god drat fan curve every time I restarted.

Does inspector measure the memory clock differently? I basically copied the offsets from gpuTweak over to inspector, but in GPUTweak I used to have ~7400 Mhz memory clock, and with Inspector I'm getting ~38700 mhz (which is about half of what GPUTweak used to show).

Also, I can't "unlock" the temp target from the power target as I could in GPU, whenever I put the temp as low as it goes and click on "apply" it jumps back to 79:

GPUTweak:

Inspector:

Yes, it's dividing the number by 2. This is also what afterburner reports. In reality, the actual number is 1/2 even that value so they're all "wrong" (and right lol), but sometimes you will see the actual figure (like in GPU-Z I believe).

It has to do with dual data rate (DDR) math

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yes, it's dividing the number by 2. This is also what afterburner reports. In reality, the actual number is 1/2 even that value so they're all "wrong" (and right lol), but sometimes you will see the actual figure (like in GPU-Z I believe).

It has to do with dual data rate (DDR) math

Thanks, I thought that could be the case since it was WAY too much of a difference (and too much of a coincidence it being around half), but I get super paranoid about anything GPU related. :shobon:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Got a Define R5 last month and I did a double take when I walked behind it because I could only really hear the fan going when I was directly in line of sight of it. I had to walk forward and backward a couple of times to work out that was actually what I was hearing.
I hate this entire discussion because it rekindled my desire for an R5 even though there's nothing wrong with my Antec Three Hundred Two.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, poo poo. Skyrim crashes whenever PrecisionX is running. Looks like my graphics card doesn't want me having OC and a custom fan curve at the same time. :v:

Once I set inspector to create a clock startup task I don't need to open inspector every time, correct? It's just going to do its thing on the background? (I may still have it open for the sensors though, if only you could minimize the bloody thing to tray :argh: )

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, poo poo. Skyrim crashes whenever PrecisionX is running. Looks like my graphics card doesn't want me having OC and a custom fan curve at the same time. :v:

Once I set inspector to create a clock startup task I don't need to open inspector every time, correct? It's just going to do its thing on the background? (I may still have it open for the sensors though, if only you could minimize the bloody thing to tray :argh: )

Even with precision, once you set the clocks it'll hold them even when you choose the application.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Keep in mind that if your display driver crashes your card will go into a safety mode where it'll run at default clocks regardless of whatever your OC program says (at least the 700-series does) until a system restart.

Maybe pull back the OC just a bit until stable then slowly raise it back in 5 or 10MHz increments.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rukus posted:

Keep in mind that if your display driver crashes your card will go into a safety mode where it'll run at default clocks regardless of whatever your OC program says (at least the 700-series does) until a system restart.

Is there a way to programmatically tell that the driver is in that mode? I've been entertaining writing a warning overlay/widget.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

Is there a way to programmatically tell that the driver is in that mode? I've been entertaining writing a warning overlay/widget.
There's a "PerfCap Reason" flag that tells you why the card isn't boosting higher, GPU-Z's Sensors tab will display it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Rukus posted:

Maybe pull back the OC just a bit until stable then slowly raise it back in 5 or 10MHz increments.
No, it wasn't that, Skyrim was just CTD as soon as I loaded a game, it wasn't my OC settings; I googled a bit and it looks like it doesn't play well with the OSD server Precision X has going.

SlayVus posted:

Even with precision, once you set the clocks it'll hold them even when you choose the application.
It's not doing it for me, as soon as I close Precision it goes back to "auto" for the fans. :(

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

No, it wasn't that, Skyrim was just CTD as soon as I loaded a game, it wasn't my OC settings; I googled a bit and it looks like it doesn't play well with the OSD server Precision X has going.

It's not doing it for me, as soon as I close Precision it goes back to "auto" for the fans. :(

It'll only hold clocks, not fan curves. Turn off the OSD?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Figured I should drop this here, because it took me a bit of digging to find:

https://twitter.com/RyanSmithAT/status/709644729118425088

Radeon Pro Duo is going to have ISV-certified drivers. That CAD rig with a consumer card and Quadro card is starting to look a lot less likely in my future...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
How well do CAD programs use multiple gpus these days though?

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
You didn't really have to dig that much...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
So a Pro Duo is basically two R9 Nanos on the same board, right? Is this the return of Radeon -> FirePro driver hacks?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

All I know is that, at this point, I just want a release date so I can plan around getting a Polaris chip.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
When It's Done(tm).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yea the Onscreen crap Precision (or any of those GPU apps for that matter) seems to be a crapshoot on causing issues for games or not. However they work perfectly for everything sending the OSD stuff only to my G19's LCD and just using it for Fan Curves Otherwise.

Also I got a Corsair 500R at the Nvidia Lan in 2011 and swapped from a P180 to it. The P180 at the time was that high quality, quiet case, however man it had terrible ventilation when you started getting crazy with SLI or bigger hardware (such as a 6 Core 3930K) and wasn't any good for a water setup unless you wanted to go all custom and loose out on the quiet that the case offered.

Switching to the 500R though ended up being great as it had more room, much better airflow, and overall seems to be a much better case overall except for the front USB 3.0 port dying (1 out of 2,) I got the replacement front panel for free under warranty, but been to lazy to rip the entire thing apart to replace it yet.

It isn't as quiet due to it being more open and having 4 fans for the H100 I threw on there, but overall when everything is idling it can quiet down rather well, and keeps everything rather cool with how much you can shove into it.

Not many other cases have caught my eye for a future build but I guess partially the reason is I haven't really been looking. I can't do one of the cubes because my old style desk (hey I got it in 2000 after building my first PC OK. Its big and wood and has lots of space for junk) can't really fit a cube over a mid tower with the 500R being about as tall as It can take before airflow out the top becomes a issue unless I scrap the top vent entirely. Not looking to rebuild anytime soon really as outside of whatever the next Ti/Fury level cards offer, the rest of my rig really isn't being held back by any major point requiring a X99 build or anything....yet.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Hey Faustian your friend should buy this (low profile bracket included).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125680R

Ffffffuuu- was away and totally missed this. Thanks for the effort though Paul.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tanreall posted:

You didn't really have to dig that much...

Well, if I had known that deck was no longer under embargo, sure! Still wouldn't have saved me the time between last week and now, though. =P

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Truga posted:

I just cut a hole in the side of my case when my CPU cooler didn't fit. :v:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larrymer posted:

I just cut a hole in the side of my case when my CPU cooler didn't fit. :v:

i call it a "spill-hole"

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I've got an Air 240 with an MSI GTX 970 and the window does flex a little bit. I'm gonna make a gasket to give it a couple more centimeters, but in the meantime the temps are perfectly fine.

Or I'll just use that as an excuse to get a Pascal or Polaris card that fits. I've got no reason to be dishonest with you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Laslow posted:

Or I'll just use that as an excuse to get a Pascal or Polaris card that fits really deserves a nicer case, and then I might as well upgrade my CPU and mobo while I'm at it, and step up to 16GB RAM, and then there's no sense in not getting a bigger SSD so I can have all the games on it to feed the rest of the system. I've got no reason to be dishonest with you guys.