Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

learnincurve posted:

Few years ago one of the old men with Leica crowd gave me his x100 as he was getting a monochrome, the condition was that I was to use and abuse that camera and not to baby it and if I managed to break it then he would buy me a Leica. It's been rained on, dropped in mud, dropped into bracken water (decayed fern bog) and generally used and abused and the only thing wrong with it is that the stupid soft realise button keeps getting lost and the silver is scuffed a bit. The lesson I was taught was "don't baby your gear it's tougher then you think".

X100/X70 and the XT1 will all be perfectly fine, go for the one with the lens you need. If you want utterly indestructible then it's going to have to be a pro-DSLR but gently caress it you have insurance right.

this exactly, I treat my X100T like a Leica. I don't intentionally gently caress it up but I also don't baby it, it goes in my bag with just the lens hood and no lens cap all the time and it's still in great shape (given the x100t is a lot newer).

Hopefully it will be in great working order when I go to upgrade to the x200 or whatever is next but if not I want to know I got my money's worth out of it for as long as I used it. These things are built beefy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can I take a look at you guys' x100? The x100 models IMO have a lot more shiny painted (metal?) surface to get chipped off compare to the XE/XT series.

The X100 models also have slightly higher quality buttons and switches.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I went to take a picture of the X100 but then realised that it's not actually scuffed or chipped at all, it was just really really dirty, it's not painted btw it's die-cast magnesium. Having now cleaned it it looks brand new. I did have it in a after market leather case for a while but the case got ruined by aforementioned bracken water which really smells. Had to go after market on the case even though fujifilm's own version is supposed to be much hardier because the official one does not accommodate the hood, I don't bother with the cap, just use a filter and the hood.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
What are you people using for camera bags these days? I could just go to a shop and browse, but it seems like a lot of effort.

I'd just want something big enough to hold the camera and a couple of lenses. I have a Crumpler bag but it's way too big so I'm selling it.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

A bigger Crumpler bag? I like my 6 Million Dollar Home.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Terry Bracket, Activate.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer
I just bought an Ona Prince Street, never imagined I'd drop so much much on a bag, but it is styling.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

red19fire posted:

Terry Bracket, Activate.

Can you please tell me more about this

red19fire
May 26, 2010

nerdrum posted:

Can you please tell me more about this

It's one of these, Supposedly T*Rich uses them on all his flashes for that hard flash/white wall look.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
It's a flash bracket that Terry Richardson is famous for using, something like this

http://www.custombrackets.com/products/camera-flash-brackets/cb-mini-rc.html

E:fb

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

psylent posted:

What are you people using for camera bags these days? I could just go to a shop and browse, but it seems like a lot of effort.

I'd just want something big enough to hold the camera and a couple of lenses. I have a Crumpler bag but it's way too big so I'm selling it.

I've got a 5 million dollar home but the best crumpler i find is the inner bag (no idea what its called) that i have. Means i can use the other crumplers i have as camera bags too.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Aargh posted:

I've got a 5 million dollar home but the best crumpler i find is the inner bag (no idea what its called) that i have. Means i can use the other crumplers i have as camera bags too.

Haven?

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

psylent posted:

I hate to say it, but my favorite bag to use when I'm going with just my camera and a couple primes is an old lowepro slingshot 100 I have. It's super ugly, but it just works. I spin it around to the front and it's like a nice little work area to change lenses or whatever and when it's in back I hardly know it's there. It would be great if someone would make a more stylish bag with same size and functionality.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

red19fire posted:

It's one of these, Supposedly T*Rich uses them on all his flashes for that hard flash/white wall look.

Supports TTL? Can you put a pillow diffuser in front of the cute flash?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

whatever7 posted:

Supports TTL? Can you put a pillow diffuser in front of the cute flash?

It's just a metal bracket. Whatever cable or remote trigger you use with it may or may not support ttl.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

psylent posted:

I have a couple of Tenba DNA bags and they are awesome, though the top zipper entry on my 15" is starting to show wear. The 11 is just right for my Pen-F + Voigtlander 17.5 and flash + flash cable, I don't own a 13 but it'd probably do the job for you.

I have been carrying a film rangefinder in my bag lately so I've been using the 15 to hold the insert from the 11 for the pen-f along with the rangefinder and some film. The 15 is also my 5D3 bag sometimes, so its definitely too big unless you need the huge laptop support.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

psylent posted:

I like my Domke F2

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

That's the one

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
So I went to an airshow over the last 2 days, and I am not happy with the A7's EVF performance in bright sunlight. Normally I know that with a mirrorless, what you see isn't always what you get out, but in this airshow it was really hard, even with the histograms to tell how the outside image would look like. Is this an issue with mirrorless in b road daylight. (The photos I took turned out well, and that gimmick mirror lens rocks in broad daylight, while the 16-35 did its job taking photos of the static displays). Just a thing I noticed after around 16 hours of shooting in daylight.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Ryand-Smith posted:

So I went to an airshow over the last 2 days, and I am not happy with the A7's EVF performance in bright sunlight. Normally I know that with a mirrorless, what you see isn't always what you get out, but in this airshow it was really hard, even with the histograms to tell how the outside image would look like. Is this an issue with mirrorless in b road daylight. (The photos I took turned out well, and that gimmick mirror lens rocks in broad daylight, while the 16-35 did its job taking photos of the static displays). Just a thing I noticed after around 16 hours of shooting in daylight.

Could you explain exactly how the performance did not meet your expectations and in what manner it did not match what you got? The EVF is fine on my A7S.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
For those of you with Sony cameras (the site doesn't specifically list which models work and which don't so I can't be more specific), looks like someone put together a firmware hack that removes the 30 minute recording limit and enables the language menu.

https://github.com/ma1co/OpenMemories-Tweak

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

HPL posted:

Could you explain exactly how the performance did not meet your expectations and in what manner it did not match what you got? The EVF is fine on my A7S.

Ok, I've used my A7 for a year and change now, and its a great camera, but in the broad daylight, what I saw in the EVF (and its metering) did not match what I downloaded into lightroom. When using my 16-35 f4, I had to constantly decrease exposure to make the image match what I would have expected the EVF to show. Now I understand unlike say a DSLR where what you see is usually (not counting for say white ballance) is what you get, but the screen did not match 'reality'.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
evf should be more accurate than OVFs which don't compensate for your exposure setup

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Ryand-Smith posted:

Ok, I've used my A7 for a year and change now, and its a great camera, but in the broad daylight, what I saw in the EVF (and its metering) did not match what I downloaded into lightroom. When using my 16-35 f4, I had to constantly decrease exposure to make the image match what I would have expected the EVF to show. Now I understand unlike say a DSLR where what you see is usually (not counting for say white ballance) is what you get, but the screen did not match 'reality'.

Did you turn up the EVF brightness? I usually have to do that when I'm out in the sun. You're probably cranking up the exposure to compensate for a dim viewfinder set for indoor light levels.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

8th-snype posted:

I didn't loving say that you don't need to worry about salt water I said that not everyone needs to worry about salt water. Your post makes it seem like everyone ever will be next to the ocean at some point wielding a camera, which is simply not true. "Not how odds work" is when you seem to think that the probability of something malfunctioning this time in the rain is contingent on how many times it's been in the rain. Please do wear condoms since you seem to have trouble with basic poo poo like being mad at the internet when you are wrong.

Wow, you seem like a real dick.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Radbot posted:

Wow, you seem like a real dick.

A dickish reply to another dickish post preceding it? On the Internet? How unusual and surprising. Nobody cares.

---

Any advice on how to take high quality time lapses? Someone at my work mentioned qDslrDashboard and it supposedly works with my a7S but I haven't the faintest clue how to work it. Apparently there's some sort of optimization for adjusting camera settings?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Any advice on how to take high quality time lapses? Someone at my work mentioned qDslrDashboard and it supposedly works with my a7S but I haven't the faintest clue how to work it. Apparently there's some sort of optimization for adjusting camera settings?

I think Sony makes you buy an app to do this? If you need bulb/T mode, good luck, somebody I know of resorted to crazy poo poo - wiring their Canon remote shutter cable into an IR transmitter to pretend to be a wireless release.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

A dickish reply to another dickish post preceding it? On the Internet? How unusual and surprising. Nobody cares.

Nah, not really. I don't see how somebody talking about why *they* need WR lenses makes them a dick.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

windex posted:

I think Sony makes you buy an app to do this? If you need bulb/T mode, good luck

Wow, that's really hosed up. I thought the intervalometer feature was pretty much standard on newer cameras. That's not a cheap camera either.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Radbot posted:

Nah, not really. I don't see how somebody talking about why *they* need WR lenses makes them a dick.

Cause it was phrased as why everyone needs them and a bit misinforming? I mean yeah I was being a dick but this is the internet and that's a thing here. Maybe try Fred Miranda or something if you are uncomfortable with the posting on something awful because it only gets worse.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

8th-snype posted:

Cause it was phrased as why everyone needs them and a bit misinforming? I mean yeah I was being a dick but this is the internet and that's a thing here. Maybe try Fred Miranda or something if you are uncomfortable with the posting on something awful because it only gets worse.

I've been here awhile but thanks for the advice 8th-snype!

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Choicecut posted:

Wow, that's really hosed up. I thought the intervalometer feature was pretty much standard on newer cameras. That's not a cheap camera either.

It would be hosed up if it were true, which it isn't.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Radbot posted:

I've been here awhile but thanks for the advice 8th-snype!

oh well in that case go gently caress yourself

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I seriously cannot believe you dicklocks actually made me come into the fuji mirrorless thread of all places to bust up a slapfight.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Anyone tried the Pentax Q series? How is it?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

Anyone tried the Pentax Q series? How is it?

They are the Lomography of digital cameras.

How you interpret that speaks of you and you alone.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

windex posted:

They are the Lomography of digital cameras.

How you interpret that speaks of you and you alone.

Not going to lie; if they were a bit cheaper or the sensor a bit bigger, I would buy one for funsies.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

spog posted:

Not going to lie; if they were a bit cheaper or the sensor a bit bigger, I would buy one for funsies.

I do not disagree, but man they are expensive for what they are and the Ricoh GR II or even the new Olympus Tough that shoots raw cameras are nicer cameras for real use I think.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

windex posted:

I do not disagree, but man they are expensive for what they are and the Ricoh GR II or even the new Olympus Tough that shoots raw cameras are nicer cameras for real use I think.

But look at this:

So sweeet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
what is pentax's obsession with tiny cameras? they tried this with a film SLR too, the pentax 110 system