Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The MSJ posted:

The trailer for the R-rated animated The Killing Joke movie:

https://www.superherohype.com/news/372523-batman-killing-joke-trailer

Holy moly the art style is horrendous and does not fit The Killing Joke at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's also a really, really poorly edited trailer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GonSmithe posted:

Holy moly the art style is horrendous and does not fit The Killing Joke at all

I wasn't exactly expecting Bolland, but, yeah.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wasn't exactly expecting Bolland, but, yeah.

Neither was I, but I was also expecting more than "looks like a rough draft storyboard of a finished piece."

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

If they gently caress up the live action Street Sharks movie lord help me I will poo poo my pants with righteous fury

It would make Vin Diesel angry as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4HLBfTcAUg

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I don't know a thing about Valerian but I can already tell I'm going to love these guys. They look so god drat smug, it's amazing.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Pretty amusing to see the Power Rangers biographer getting trolled... in a thread about movies based on comic books... on forums that everyone had to pay :10bux: to post on. idgi

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mr. Sloth posted:

Pretty amusing to see the Power Rangers biographer getting trolled... in a thread about movies based on comic books... on forums that everyone had to pay :10bux: to post on. idgi
I feel like you're approaching having a point but don't have the balls to just say it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

site posted:

I wouldn't put it past them to want a bigger star for the role to anchor the universe since infinity war is gonna "change the status quo" with respect to the mcu and who the main characters will be until they reboot the og avengers with new actors.

Sure, but I'd think the main barrier is getting a hot-poo poo actor to commit to one role for a decade of their career. As I understand it, Joaquin Phoenix passed on Dr. Strange for that exact reason.

They'd probably be willing to drop serious bank on a headliner who's insanely popular. But does Jennifer Lawrence want to be Captain Marvel for 6-8 movies? She's already done Mystique for 3, so it's not like superhero blockbusters are a new experience. And she's already done Hunger Games, so that's 2 insanely profitable franchises where she made millions.

I'm assuming it'll end up being someone like Emily Blunt. Who people kind of know, but who's not some unbelievably household-name actress.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Xealot posted:

Sure, but I'd think the main barrier is getting a hot-poo poo actor to commit to one role for a decade of their career. As I understand it, Joaquin Phoenix passed on Dr. Strange for that exact reason.
That must be why they got Cumberbatch. Can't really get worse than Sherlock in that aspect.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES

Xealot posted:

I'm assuming it'll end up being someone like Emily Blunt. Who people kind of know, but who's not some unbelievably household-name actress.

I see large dump trucks full of money landing on the steps of Blake Livelysomebody else in the near future.

edit: Just realized that wouldn't work because Ryan Reynolds screwed that up, literally

Mr. Sloth fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 27, 2016

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Shageletic posted:

Marvel has never relied on big stars or directors.

Are you being sarcastic? Scarlet Johansen, Robert Downey, Michael Douglas, Wesley Snipes, Paul Rudd, Hugo Weaving, Ed Norton, Mark Ruffalo, Sam Jackson, Anthony Hopkins, Natalie Portman...

There are tons of stars in the Marvel movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mr. Sloth posted:

I see large dump trucks full of money landing on the steps of Blake Livelysomebody else in the near future.

edit: Just realized that wouldn't work because Ryan Reynolds screwed that up, literally

Deadpool was already married to Black Widow. If his new wife is Captain Marvel, we will never hear the end of it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Are you being sarcastic? Scarlet Johansen, Robert Downey, Michael Douglas, Wesley Snipes, Paul Rudd, Hugo Weaving, Ed Norton, Mark Ruffalo, Sam Jackson, Anthony Hopkins, Natalie Portman...

I sortve get his point that they've had several leads who weren't the prototypical A list super stars. But starting out they had Norton who had enough clout to get story oversight and final cut for Hulk. ScarJo was also a name before IM2 and their first female hero, so casting someone big for their first female led movie would fit the pattern.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mr. Sloth posted:

I registered before you had to pay, so, enjoy yourselves down in the mud, people.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
Is there a separate civil war thread? It seems like there should be but I can't find any.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tiger posted:

Is there a separate civil war thread? It seems like there should be but I can't find any.

Not yet, but making one would probably be a good idea.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Maybe two threads, one #TeamCap and one #TeamIronMan :v:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If you're on #teamspidey do you have to go back and forth between the #teamcap and #teamironman threads depending on
the argument of the moment?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Might as well rename this thread #TeamBlackPanther then

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
#Team80sToyizedGoofyLordZedd

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Xealot posted:

They'd probably be willing to drop serious bank on a headliner who's insanely popular. But does Jennifer Lawrence want to be Captain Marvel for 6-8 movies? She's already done Mystique for 3, so it's not like superhero blockbusters are a new experience. And she's already done Hunger Games, so that's 2 insanely profitable franchises where she made millions.

Lawrence is a known actor for big budget event films and franchises, so to sign her on means they probably have a good knowledge of what her history, reception and attitude is on such productions. She seems like if she were available, she's sort of a 'safe' choice. I would put odds sort of high that Disney probably would be interested in her if she was willing for the right price.

That being said, Genesis Rodriguez as a potential? I know little of her work, and while not super popular nor not looking like traditional Carol Danvers, she'd be a non-conventional choice that has worked with Disney before with Big Hero 6. Casting a Latina performer in the role also maybe helps give the oft-criticized MCU some more diversity on that front.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I just watched a cam rip of the Civil War airport scene on the Internet and its cool.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 27, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If it's not Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel then I'm not interested.

At least give me a Next Wave movie, Marvel.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

net cafe scandal posted:

I just watched a cam rip of the Civil War airport scene on the internet and its cool.

link? i'll unban ur account if u get got

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

link? i'll unban ur account if u get got

Its on the internet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 27, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it is, start to finish, a really good scene yeah.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why they delay releases regionally? Why does the US get Civil War basically after everyone else? I know they do this all the time to movies but I never figured out why.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rurea posted:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why they delay releases regionally? Why does the US get Civil War basically after everyone else? I know they do this all the time to movies but I never figured out why.

Piracy. They release the film in Europe (especially Eastern Europe) and other regions that are piracy heavy first and then in the U.S. because the US has tougher copyright laws. Releasing first in the piracy heavy areas maximizes the total revenue, because U.S. ticket sales are largely constant.

The U.S. gets shafted because it is more honest / rigorous in defending copyright law / willing to pay for tickets / technologically inept.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 27, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Short answer, they make more money this way.

Long answer, the release date doesn't have much effect on how much money a movie will make in the US, but it does effect how much money a movie will make outside of the US. The typical reason for this that I hear thrown around is that the US pirates movies at a much lower rate than the rest of the world, but honestly, I don't know if I trust that, and I have no clue why it really is.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Goffer posted:

They can do recasting within the marvel comic book rules as well - All the have to do is have a infinity gauntlet, a secret war or a scarlet witch to reshape reality and pow, you can explain why people are played by different actors. If they wanted to bring the X-men back into the fold, or the fantastic four, there are characters whose powers make those things possible.

I half expect the end of the infinity war to bring back the heroes that died a little 'different' to what they were before, giving Robert Downey junior and co an out of the franchise.

Not to be antagonistic but this is a terrible idea. Universe-wide clusterfucks to explain changing continuity is the reason why mainstream DC (and Spider-man) comic books suck. Marvel's much more elastic subtle rejiggering is much more preferable. Let's try to quarantine the nerdish "this happens because this happens" continuity claptrap to the books.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

None of whom are in the prime of their career or as A-list as Jennifer Lawrence is right now. RDJ was at the bottom of his career with a slight resurgence due to the indie movie Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Scarlet Johansen would be the biggest name on that list but circa IM2 was nowhere the level she is now, Wesley Snipes was never A-list, Hugo Weaving is a character actor in the States, Paul Rudd worked as supporting cast in Apatow movies and indie TV shows, Ed Norton hadn't had a hit (this is way before Birdman) in years, ditto with Michael Douglas. Of that list Natalie Portman (an actress that had movies like Black Swan under her belt, but no big screen success since The Professional when she was like 11) and Anthony Hopkins (who has been playing mostly bit parts lately fit for an actor his age) are the most high-tier I think.

I'm not trying to belittle them, but this was a conscious choice by Marvel, a company that (at least until recently) penny pinched to hysterical extents.

EDIT: Sorry about posting twice in a row.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 27, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, is the spoilers on Wikipedia are accurate about Civil War

Which I hope they're not, they pretty much confirm everything I didn't want in the movie. Extraneous cast that do nothing in the film, Hydra is literally behind everything, and Tony Stark is wrong about everything and a total moron. There are not two sides to the issue, Tony is totally in the wrong and Cap is utterly right. Da End. Black Panther sounds like the only competent one though.

So yeah.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Burkion posted:

Which I hope they're not, they pretty much confirm everything I didn't want in the movie. Extraneous cast that do nothing in the film, Hydra is literally behind everything, and Tony Stark is wrong about everything and a total moron. There are not two sides to the issue, Tony is totally in the wrong and Cap is utterly right. Da End. Black Panther sounds like the only competent one though.

So yeah.

The secondary cast is important in that it's an ensemble film, but the plot gets more personal about Cap/Tony/Bucky near the end since they are the core of the story.

Hydra is barely even mentioned in the film.

Tony Stark is wrong about Cap's motivations vis-à-vis Zemo, but still believes in the accords, as does most people in the film and they go through while cap remains on the run. To say there are not two sides is laughable. Which side is the right one is up to interpretation, but the movie does make a good case for the accords in my opinion.

All the heroes are competent, except maybe Ant-Man.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 27, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

So yeah.

It sounds like technically the main bad guy isn't part of Hydra, although he knows the secret Hydra password to get Bucky to kill people. Otherwise, yeah.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

The MSJ posted:

The trailer for the R-rated animated The Killing Joke movie:

https://www.superherohype.com/news/372523-batman-killing-joke-trailer

Batman: The Killing Joke will be premiering on Kids WB in 1994.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
How much America is there in Captain America: Civil War?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How much America is there in Captain America: Civil War?

About half of it takes place overseas. The least American place of all.

Apparently in a Nightline interview that hasn't aired yet, Robert Downey Jr. says he has "one more" Iron Man movie left and gives some details about his role in the new Spiderman movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is it kosher to discuss the leaked airport scene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Well if you remove the word leaked, you'll get less silent judgement. But the movie is in theaters now.

• Locked thread