Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
So I had a poison ship piece crash in my map, my very first encounter with one. The poison it spreads seems to be increasing in radius and after looking at the info it tells me it can pop out either AI, components, or other things. Will the poison keep spreading non-stop or does it have a certain radius? And should I take care of it now before something happens? And are mechaniloids guaranteed to pop out of it?

EDIT: It landed sufficiently far and away from my colony, but even so, the info tells me it's going to constantly disgorge poison. Will this expand infinitely or does it have a set radius and I can leave it alone until I get better arms, person shields, etc? I also saw a very interesting video consisting of walling it in, building four beds by it, awakening what's within, and then lighting it on fire and they all died a heat death. Will that work? I also don't seem to see any colonists being hit with a psychic drone moodlet so does that mean that it isn't the psychic drone kind of ship part?

EDIT EDIT: I also forgot, since it spits out poison will my colonists be affected by it if we move in to deal with it or does the poison only affect plant life? And pro killing strats would be appreciated, all I have are pistols and the starting survival rifle.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Blackray Jack posted:

So I had a poison ship piece crash in my map, my very first encounter with one. The poison it spreads seems to be increasing in radius and after looking at the info it tells me it can pop out either AI, components, or other things. Will the poison keep spreading non-stop or does it have a certain radius? And should I take care of it now before something happens? And are mechaniloids guaranteed to pop out of it?

EDIT: It landed sufficiently far and away from my colony, but even so, the info tells me it's going to constantly disgorge poison. Will this expand infinitely or does it have a set radius and I can leave it alone until I get better arms, person shields, etc? I also saw a very interesting video consisting of walling it in, building four beds by it, awakening what's within, and then lighting it on fire and they all died a heat death. Will that work? I also don't seem to see any colonists being hit with a psychic drone moodlet so does that mean that it isn't the psychic drone kind of ship part?

The poison ship is like the normal ship part, just with poison instead of psychic drone.

If memory serves, it'll disgorge mechanoids on the first attack, and then be easy pickings after that. No idea re: radius

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Blackray Jack posted:

The poison effect is simulated by the terrain turning to snow. This means that it will kill any and all plants (even hydroponics), but will not affect your colonists. And yes, it will eventually spread everywhere. It might be blocked by stone walls, but I'm not too sure about that, need more testing.

If you shoot it mechanoids will pop out and if it's early on they will wreck your poo poo. So standard tactic is to surround it with a wooden wall and surround that with a stone wall, leaving a door in one side. Like so

Shoot the ship to draw out the mechs and and close the door. The mechs won't try to beat their way out. You then use something that can cause fire (molotovs or incendiary launcher) to set fire to the wooden walls. Like so

(Ignore the red dudes, they are from a mod)

Target the stone walls and the AoE will eventually set the wood on fire. Stone doesn't set on fire so they will stay intact while the wood burns. And make sure you un-home area that place or your colonists will run in to put out the fire! The upper temperature tolerance of a mech is 250C. Look at the temp in the bottom right

Once they've died, unroof the area to cool the place down, re-home area it so your guys put out the fire (to save the mech corpses for disassembly, they give valuable plasteel), and then beat the ship to death with your fists. Because you can.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Omnicarus posted:

Whelp, my colony just hosted a trade caravan. The muffalos drank enough beer to get blackout drunk and vomit and pass out all over my storage room.

Edit: And now it's dead. Drank itself to death. Free Muffalo Steaks everyone!

I love everything about this post. I didn't even know animals could drink beer, this changes everything.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

MadJackMcJack posted:

The poison effect is simulated by the terrain turning to snow. This means that it will kill any and all plants (even hydroponics), but will not affect your colonists. And yes, it will eventually spread everywhere. It might be blocked by stone walls, but I'm not too sure about that, need more testing.

If you shoot it mechanoids will pop out and if it's early on they will wreck your poo poo. So standard tactic is to surround it with a wooden wall and surround that with a stone wall, leaving a door in one side. Like so

Once they've died, unroof the area to cool the place down, re-home area it so your guys put out the fire (to save the mech corpses for disassembly, they give valuable plasteel), and then beat the ship to death with your fists. Because you can.

A better way to do this is without a door.

Create a room like this with stone or steel walls, put some wooden beds inside and a incendiary IED trap or two. Then have a colonist melee attack the ship from the corner as shown.

Result:

Remove roof when they are dead, dismantle wall and put out fire.
If you don't have incendiary IED yet, you can molotov the wall next to the beds.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Has anyone found a good method to deal with brushfires getting started by dry thunderstorms? Even if I decide to throw my dudes out into the wild trying to stomp out fires, the lightning tends to fall in a wide enough range that you can guarantee it'll burn down a major slice of the natural plants. Its easy enough to keep it away from the colony, but then your colony is in a dustbowl with no trees or plants and very few animals as they slowly migrate back in.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Conot posted:

Has anyone found a good method to deal with brushfires getting started by dry thunderstorms? Even if I decide to throw my dudes out into the wild trying to stomp out fires, the lightning tends to fall in a wide enough range that you can guarantee it'll burn down a major slice of the natural plants. Its easy enough to keep it away from the colony, but then your colony is in a dustbowl with no trees or plants and very few animals as they slowly migrate back in.

i just draw strategic containment lines with home zones and let the contained area burn to ashes. flash storms are super obnoxious

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i just draw strategic containment lines with home zones and let the contained area burn to ashes. flash storms are super obnoxious

I think the most irritating event are heat waves - 130-140F is ridiculous to have to deal with in a temperate environment.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Kenlon posted:

I think the most irritating event are heat waves - 130-140F is ridiculous to have to deal with in a temperate environment.

For any temp above 40 just use cowboys hats as they help the tolerances, and occasionally draft the colonists to go stand in the freezer (which should have more than 1 cooler in the wall).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Geokinesis posted:

For any temp above 40 just use cowboys hats as they help the tolerances, and occasionally draft the colonists to go stand in the freezer (which should have more than 1 cooler in the wall).

Dusters and cowboy hats.

That said heat waves are the best part of the new mountain temperature mechanics. 40C outside, 18C inside with no effort on my part.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Azhais posted:

40C outside, 18C inside with no effort on my part.

Forecast: Shady, with a chance of hellbugs

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ChickenWing posted:

Forecast: Shady, with a chance of hellbugs

Meh, that was an issue in my first A13 mountainhome, I just re-layed out the place in subsequent runs to leave lots of room for sniping/melee/etc.

A murderball of melee guys makes infestations a non-issue.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Thanks for the tips, but like I said I only have pistols and the one rifle. Are there any non-flammable strats?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Blackray Jack posted:

Thanks for the tips, but like I said I only have pistols and the one rifle. Are there any non-flammable strats?

For poison ships? My strats for them are (in descending order of preference):

1. Fire
2. Sniper Rifles (they outrange the aggro of mechs so you can just casually snipe them in shifts)
3. Turret walls (build power out to the ship, some reasonable number of turrets, release the mechs, hope for the best)
4. Build some walls so you have a chokepoint, melee murderball
5. Pop the mechs, ignore them, hope a raid deals with it for you
6. Build some more walls to split up the scythers and centipedes and hope you kill the scythers fast with small arms fire before the centipedes show up then run around spastically trying to kite the centipedes, fail, die.

I imagine you could try a hybrid of 1 and 3, build a wooden & stone building around the mechs, put a turret in there, hope a centipede with an incendiary launcher pops out. But that could get awkward if one doesn't.

Or I suppose research incendiary IEDs quick, but I don't know how viable that is for you

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Do this

shoot it once from a distance with one colonist and then back them off and let the sentries kill it

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Once again, thank you everyone for the tips. Also here's a very unsettling factor for some of you; I decided to do that solid wall thing and bash it to death from the corner. Two flamethrowing centipedes came out. At first they were content to wander around like idiots while I bashed the part in safety, but unfortunately when I went in for round two, they smartened up and began bashing down the walls to freedom. So yeah, they're not QUITE so dumb anymore.

EDIT: And it's gone. Best colony yet, felled to two loving flamethrowing centipedes.

Azhais posted:

They'll bust down walls if you're actively attacking, they just won't feel the need to prison break if you leave them alone to burn to death.

EDIT EDIT: To the guy below me, it was weird though. When I first started attacking they were content to wander around but when I took a break and sent a replacement in to whack at it that's when they suddenly began trying to break out.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Will frag grenades set walls and beds on fire? And if not, can I just lob grenades over the walls at it otherwise?

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 27, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They'll bust down walls if you're actively attacking, they just won't feel the need to prison break if you leave them alone to burn to death.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kenlon posted:

this is why every bedroom in my colonies has AC as well as a heater. they wont even notice heatwaves really if they can sleep in comfort

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

could you fill the inside of the wood wall with sentires, so when the mechs come out they kill a single sentry and the entire bunker explodes 15 times?

i haven't played in ages, exploding sentries are still a thing right

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

ninjewtsu posted:

could you fill the inside of the wood wall with sentires, so when the mechs come out they kill a single sentry and the entire bunker explodes 15 times?

i haven't played in ages, exploding sentries are still a thing right

Yes, but its such a massive waste of resources as to be a stupid thing to do.

There are IEDs now that use artillery shells that will explode nicely, and use far less resources than a turret.

I just wasted a psychic drone ship with 3 EMP grenadiers, 3 charge riflemen, 1 sniper, and 1 frag grenadier. Didn't need to use cover because the mechs were stunlocked most of the time.

So yeah, EMP nades are amazing against mechs, and if you ever see them for sale pick them up.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
I have a few questions.

Do both durability and quality affect a weapon's stats? Or is it just quality?

I built my first comms console and I was wondering if trade caravans stop coming through on foot since I have a comms console now. I haven't seen one in a while so I'm guessing so. So my question is, do I need to turn off the comms console in order to activate on-foot caravans again? I already got a passing arms ship but passing ships seem uncommon.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Normal trade caravans will continue to come through after you build a comms console.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Internet Explorer posted:

Normal trade caravans will continue to come through after you build a comms console.

The best is when they come through during a tribal raid and the caravan gets wiped out with 1-2 survivors the tribals decide to kidnap and leave with. The rest of the caravan (and possibly the stuff you sold them) is left behind.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Hmm, that's disappointing, I can't seem to make the human subspecies mod I had planned really pan out as I wanted it to. I don't seem to have access to anything that would allow me to set up what kind of traits and backstories are available to given races, which kind of smushes a lot of the purpose I had in mind. Like subterranean humans being immune to cabin fever or genetic soldiers not having backgrounds that would disable combat.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
So here's a question, as someone who has Prepare Carefully installed: What livestock?! SO MANY OPTIONS!

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

So here's a question, as someone who has Prepare Carefully installed: What livestock?! SO MANY OPTIONS!

Always Alpacas. They live a long time, passively produce wool, it's worth a shitload(I think it's something like 800 silver per alpaca per shearing), and it's one of the best cloths available outside of Devilstrand/Hyperweave.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
See, awesome advice there. Thanks!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

I Said No posted:

Hmm, that's disappointing, I can't seem to make the human subspecies mod I had planned really pan out as I wanted it to. I don't seem to have access to anything that would allow me to set up what kind of traits and backstories are available to given races, which kind of smushes a lot of the purpose I had in mind. Like subterranean humans being immune to cabin fever or genetic soldiers not having backgrounds that would disable combat.

You're going to need a compiler and do some C++/C# coding (whichever of these is actually used, I forget). I can see that providing a means to select subrace and restricting which subrace can get what traits will break EdB Prepare Carefully, aside from whatever else.

e: Apparently the meals that raiders bring with them often have human meat in them. Oops.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 1, 2016

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Blackray Jack posted:

Do both durability and quality affect a weapon's stats? Or is it just quality?

It's both. On ranged weapons, quality and durability affect accuracy. On melee weapons they affect damage.

(If you click on the 'i' when you have an item selected, it will open an info screen where you can see the exact details).

Omnicarus posted:

Always Alpacas. They live a long time, passively produce wool, it's worth a shitload(I think it's something like 800 silver per alpaca per shearing), and it's one of the best cloths available outside of Devilstrand/Hyperweave.

Alpaca wool has a market value of $6.00, so that's 600 silver for a single shearing of 100 wool. But in reality you'll never actually sell it for that much because traders buy at something like a fifth of the actual value (though modifiers for good social skill can drive this up a bit). It's still worthwhile, though, because it's the fastest growing and also most valuable wool, so it's pretty much geared towards trade. It's too bad alpacas themselves don't seem to breed very fast, unfortunately.

One other thing to note, though: alpaca wool is not one of the best clothing materials available. It's actually the worst 'wool' (muffallo and camelhair are better), and the only thing it really offers over regular cloth is its good insulation properties (it has a heat armour bonus too, but from a bit of testing I did recently, I think heat armour might be broken). If you're playing in a really cold biome then it can be useful if nothing better is available, but otherwise you might as well just sell it or clothes made from it if you have plentiful access to leather or better wool (or the high quality materials like devilstrand, of course).

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Flesh Forge posted:

You're going to need a compiler and do some C++/C# coding (whichever of these is actually used, I forget). I can see that providing a means to select subrace and restricting which subrace can get what traits will break EdB Prepare Carefully, aside from whatever else.

e: Apparently the meals that raiders bring with them often have human meat in them. Oops.

The coding isn't a barrier to me, it's just a matter of I have no idea where to actually look or work for the poo poo I want to do. =v

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Well the source code is included in the download :shrug:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Apoplexy posted:

I never start with animals. Something to feed in the early game that doesn't provide any benefit, and if your pet alpaca gets eaten by a bear one of your residents will have like a -10 mood penalty for like 3 seasons.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

I Said No posted:

The coding isn't a barrier to me, it's just a matter of I have no idea where to actually look or work for the poo poo I want to do. =v

I've done a little open source coding and I had this problem too. Just go through and try and familiarize yourself as best you can, search the codebase for keywords you think might be what you want like race, species, etc. Characters and NPCs and animals might be in a class called mob or something along those lines, possibly pawn.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I had toxic fallout, quickly hunted enough meat to last the duration and chucked it in the freezer, and quarantined my colonists. Then my colonists die in their beds. The reason? I had forgot an old no roof zone, so acid rain poured directly into their skull until they died :eng99:

Also, although I have a trade beacon, uncovered by roof and full of gold and silver, I can't seem to offer it to traders. How do I fix this?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
You can use a trade beacon under a roof now. It's been this way for some time.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Overwined posted:

You can use a trade beacon under a roof now. It's been this way for some time.

Yes, some traders just don't want to buy your stupid shiney gold rocks

Tias
May 25, 2008

YOTC posted:

Yes, some traders just don't want to buy your stupid shiney gold rocks

Okay but why wouldn't a bulk trader accept my silver :confused:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Because your silver operates as your cash instead of a resource to be bought and sold? Unless you somehow had $0 when you tried to trade, in which case is your trade beacon hooked into your power?

Tias
May 25, 2008

I could have sworn the beacon was supplied, and I had ample silver in the attendant stockpile, so I'm not really sure what went wrong. Oh well, my colonists all got their face melted from atmospheric toxins, so I'm starting up another colony :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Cassandra Classic can suck my nuts. Four raids in one week, leaving me with two crippled, gut worm-infested colonists, immediately followed by a pack of boars going mad and incapping them both. And of course, the new colonist event I get is the "chased by pirates" one. At least the naked jogger I got managed to grab a shotgun before getting torn apart by the melee pirate raid.