Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I need a suitcase for my product samples and oversized stuff.

Honestly the only time I do use luggage check in is my return trip from Japan. Or Europe. The souvenirs there are freaking amazing. Booze, liquids, cheese, sausage and all sorts of delicious food. Carry an empty duffel bag going in and come back with a loaded up bag.

20kg full of stuff with no wheels and going up and down stairs was back breaking. This time I might pack a min trolley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
In my experience as someone who doesn't go on business trips, I consider the people who do and bring oversized bags as their carry-on to be a plague.

For some reason this past year I've been asked many, many times at boarding queues to check my carry on "because too many people have brought oversized luggage". Please don't be one of the assholes contributing to this.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

caberham posted:

I need a suitcase for my product samples and oversized stuff.

Honestly the only time I do use luggage check in is my return trip from Japan. Or Europe. The souvenirs there are freaking amazing. Booze, liquids, cheese, sausage and all sorts of delicious food. Carry an empty duffel bag going in and come back with a loaded up bag.

20kg full of stuff with no wheels and going up and down stairs was back breaking. This time I might pack a min trolley

Sling the duffle across the rolling suitcase, it's now your trolley :ssh:

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Using carry-ons to avoid check-ins seems ridiculous to me. I used to fly between two countries a couple of times a year with singapore airlines and in my experience check-ins usually took like 10 minutes max (even with full 777 flights) whether I turned up 2 hours before boarding or 45 minutes.

The immigration and security screening takes far longer than any check-in process I've gone through in the past few years, but I've mostly flown non-poo poo airlines at non-poo poo airports so ymmv

otoh carrying stuff aboard is pretty reasonable if you've got something fragile because as a rule never assume anyone respects the fragile sticker and also if you don't want to wait 20 minutes or so at the baggage carousel (although, again, this was only a problem at decent airports like changi where the wait time at incoming immigration is usually nil so you turn up at the carousel far quicker than the guys can reasonably be expected to unload the aircraft and drive the bags to the terminal)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

After you get your bag delayed or straight up lost forever a couple of times you may change your opinion of checked baggage.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Yeah, the percentage of bags getting lost is ridiculously high, and even it they find it (they usually do) it's at the very least extremely annoying to get it back if you had a connecting flight and are travelling around somewhere.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I've mostly flown non-poo poo airlines at non-poo poo airports so ymmv

There you go. I wouldn't say flying with SIA and through Changi is indicative of typical air travel anyway. It should be, but sadly isn't. SIA is like one of the best airlines in the world, Changi one of, if not the best airport and take their poo poo super seriously.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
American airports are garbage and American airlines suck. Thankfully, air travel in US is still cheap and the air travel feels like glorified buses.

Don't be like this guy

He's decked in some fancy gear - marmut jacket, deuter bag, maybe colombia shoes. I'm such a travel gear nerd

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

caberham posted:

American airports are garbage and American airlines suck.

It was so depressing to walk around in US airports (and remember walking around in many others) after being in Kansai.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
gently caress that guy and his stupid hat. I bet you he has a few grand in a savings account somewhere and parents who'd send him cash if he asked for it but he 'wants to do it himself'. Get a job pulling pints if you're hard up.

'Need cash to get home' would be more sympathetic.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Oh there we go, that's someone I can hate more than the oversized carry-on idiots.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Mango Polo posted:

In my experience as someone who doesn't go on business trips, I consider the people who do and bring oversized bags as their carry-on to be a plague.

For some reason this past year I've been asked many, many times at boarding queues to check my carry on "because too many people have brought oversized luggage". Please don't be one of the assholes contributing to this.

In my experience with major US airlines, they generally make you abide by carry on size restrictions. It's not that people are bringing on carry-ons larger than allowed so much as the fact that the airline can't accommodate full-sized carry-ons for every passenger. So travelers who don't have priority boarding are the ones who are affected, and the airline is [mostly] deflecting the blame.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I cant speak to international flights, but I used to take like a hundred domestic flights a year in the US and had a checked bag delayed maybe once in 3-4 years.

My issue is always that I have to check my tool/Equitment box and don't want to deal with two rolling bags, so I have to cram all my other poo poo into a backpack. I have a trip next weekend and I suspect I am going to be rocking a rolling pelican, a rolling suitcase, and a huge backpack. It's gonna suck.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

caberham posted:

American airports are garbage and American airlines suck. Thankfully, air travel in US is still cheap and the air travel feels like glorified buses.

Agreed

Edit : wow that pasted four times

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Every time I check a bag it comes back missing a zipper pull. Once I checked a bag between Beijing and Shanghai and during the flight, a container of some sort of foul liquid cheese in another passengers bag broke open and spilled all over the luggage compartment. I got off easy, my bag only got a little bit on it, but it still stank. Between that, and hating to wait at the baggage claim, I try to never check a bag.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I actually had to buy a suitcase today as I'm going away for business and only had my 40L travelling backpack. I'm stopping by in Hong Kong on the way back for a holiday and am not looking forward to lugging the suitcase around - usually I travel light so it'll be a bit weird having all that stuff.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Lady Gaza posted:

I actually had to buy a suitcase today as I'm going away for business and only had my 40L travelling backpack. I'm stopping by in Hong Kong on the way back for a holiday and am not looking forward to lugging the suitcase around - usually I travel light so it'll be a bit weird having all that stuff.

Rimowa or bust!

When are you in HK? Come hang out with us HK goons

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

caberham posted:

Rimowa or bust!

When are you in HK? Come hang out with us HK goons

Ended up getting a cheapish Swiss Gear :)

I'm arriving in HK on the morning of the 7th March, leaving afternoon of the 11th. Would be good to meet up! Is there a HK thread?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm going on a 2 week trip across Europe before ending in HK (gonna try and live my dream of living in HK). Just bought this bag (http://www.caribee-uk.com/fast-track-laptop-carry-on-cabin-bag-black-green-cat-3-subcat-21-product-512) and I'm really happy with it. It's small but it fits my laptop, has lots of pockets for pens/documents/books and Caribee has always been a quality make for me. Also I got it for £40 on Amazon.

Gonna buy new clothes in Uniqlo, particularly their Airism underwear. Now I just need a good pair of walking shoes that don't cost the earth and look good with jeans. Any recommendations in the UK?

Also interested in a HK thread/meetup!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

As far as shoes go I really like my Eccos but you could probably get a better deal on some Clarks in the UK. It's impossible to know what will fit you, your best bet is to try a bunch on and this is an area I encourage people not to try to save a few dollars/pounds. I'm An Old so something like a neutral-colored leather shoe makes the most sense for me due to versatility but may not be your style. Also even if the absolute perfect pair exists [and those Eccos are close for me] your feet will thank you if you have an alternate pair as well, maybe something compact like some Vans Authentics.

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 1, 2016

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm going on a 2 week trip across Europe before ending in HK (gonna try and live my dream of living in HK). Just bought this bag (http://www.caribee-uk.com/fast-track-laptop-carry-on-cabin-bag-black-green-cat-3-subcat-21-product-512) and I'm really happy with it. It's small but it fits my laptop, has lots of pockets for pens/documents/books and Caribee has always been a quality make for me. Also I got it for £40 on Amazon.

Gonna buy new clothes in Uniqlo, particularly their Airism underwear. Now I just need a good pair of walking shoes that don't cost the earth and look good with jeans. Any recommendations in the UK?

Also interested in a HK thread/meetup!

I've never heard of anyone dreaming of living in HK :stare:

I mean I live in singapore so I don't really need to venture out to hong kong to get rear end hosed by home and car prices (homes about 25% cheaper than HK, cars about 200% more expensive- new toyota corollas recently fell in price by 15,000 USD to the current 74,000 USD)), but what do you like about HK so much?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well I'm not going there to buy a car, that's for drat sure!

I love walking by the harbour at night. I love all the various food places, and shops, and the temples. I love the huge malls full of electronics. I love that there are parks everywhere, and free zoos to walk past. I love that I can go to the beach, or Disney World. I love how clean and safe HK is, seeing women jog at 11pm, and how everyone seems proud of it and there's always lots going on. It's just a cool place!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hong Kong is super fun, the main reason I've never tried to live there is office workers are expected to put in stupid hours [average work week is 49 hours]. Plus it's pretty central for traveling around the rest of Asia.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Would things like sake and pottery be able to survive in a checked duffel bag? Or is it a case of stuff will break no matter how well I pack it?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'd be worried about a fragile item like porcelain unless very well packed, but sake? I've carried tons of assorted bottles without a hitch, usually by wrapping them in clothes and keeping them in the middle of the bags, with a few items above and below.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

I'd be worried about a fragile item like porcelain unless very well packed, but sake? I've carried tons of assorted bottles without a hitch, usually by wrapping them in clothes and keeping them in the middle of the bags, with a few items above and below.

Yeah, that's what I'd do. A duffel bag isn't as good as a hard suitcase, but if you had something really fancy you could put it in a box with bubble wrap within the bag.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If it's something you really care about it might be better to get it well-packed and mail it home instead then you won't have to worry so much about the space it takes up. If my experiences buying watches from Japan is any indication they have a very high standard of packaging for shipping.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

qirex posted:

If it's something you really care about it might be better to get it well-packed and mail it home instead then you won't have to worry so much about the space it takes up. If my experiences buying watches from Japan is any indication they have a very high standard of packaging for shipping.

IDK where the poster is from, but for the sake, you can't mail booze into the US standard post (or within it, for that matter), have to use a specialty service like DHL or whatever. That, and booze/pottery are relatively heavy, in all likelihood it's cheaper (not to mention faster) to pay for an extra suitcase than it would be to mail it, even if you used seamail.

I'd also rather deal with the airline potentially breaking my poo poo than the postal service, as my recent foray into filing an insurance claim with USPS was pretty awful. They flat out ignored the first claim, claimed to have never received the report from the local post office I brought the item into for assessment on the second one (I watched them fax it), and stalled until the 6 months validity ran out. I'll use it for selling stuff if buyers insist, but I'm never loving bothering again for personal effects.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Easychair Bootson posted:

In my experience with major US airlines, they generally make you abide by carry on size restrictions. It's not that people are bringing on carry-ons larger than allowed so much as the fact that the airline can't accommodate full-sized carry-ons for every passenger. So travelers who don't have priority boarding are the ones who are affected, and the airline is [mostly] deflecting the blame.

I definitely find that travelling domestically in America (where I go a few times a year) there's always way more of a struggle to find space for your bag than say Australia (where I live). People there just seem to really push the boundaries of carry on.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
What are you guys using for day packs? I'm going to be traveling long term with a carryon sized backpack and wanted something that compressed down so it wouldn't take up much room in my main bag when I'm moving around. Picked up one of these from Amazon, looks like it's got pretty good reviews.

http://amzn.com/B0092ECRLA

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would live in HK for 18-24 months. It's about $200 round trip to anywhere in SE asia, you have access to more beaches within a 4 hour plane ride than anywhere else on the globe, probably.

I would not raise a family there, but if you're 22-34 it's a great place to hang out for a year or two.

Re: day packs, I've had a flash 18 pack from REI for approximately 80,000 airmiles over nearly a decade and it hasn't let me down yet, they still sell them (revision 2 or 3 by now though)

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

ddiddles posted:

What are you guys using for day packs? I'm going to be traveling long term with a carryon sized backpack and wanted something that compressed down so it wouldn't take up much room in my main bag when I'm moving around. Picked up one of these from Amazon, looks like it's got pretty good reviews.

http://amzn.com/B0092ECRLA

I got one of those. It works fine for light use. Since it has no support anything odd shaped you put in it is pretty awkward to carry.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I got one of those. It works fine for light use. Since it has no support anything odd shaped you put in it is pretty awkward to carry.

I bought one of those and it was a horrible piece of garbage. I threw it away after a month and a half of moderately heavy use. The water resistant material had all peeled away on the top of the bag, one of the zippers broke, and a whole bunch of seams were coming loose all around the backpack. One of the back straps was frayed too and probably would've given way with a few more weeks of use. It was probably the worst travel item I've ever purchased, and definitely the worst thing I bought for my 4.5 month backpacking trip. I never thought I could be so disappointed by a $20 item, but it had so many different failures that I can't even attribute it to one single failure of QC. The loose threads were already obvious when I first got it. Oh, and the liner between the tiny front pocket and the middle pocket completely disintegrated.

The water resistance was also TERRIBLE even when it was brand new. Everything was damp inside after a light rain on my first time using it. I would 100% not trust it with electronics, papers, or anything else more important than gym clothes.I took a bunch of photos of it, but I was so disheartened by it that I never even bothered to write a 1* review or make a claim with Amazon or the manufacturer. They would probably send me a new one, but I would not want it again even for free.

E: My girlfriend bought a McKinley superlight/compact backpack at the same time I bought my New Outlander one, and hers was awesome and so much better in every way. It was also like 3x the price, though. We bought it in a brick and mortar store. I guess they have them on Amazon, but I couldn't find in a quick search and I don't remember the exact model name. I couldn't find it on McKinley's website either, but their website seems to not display all their models (oddly).

VVV: That one looks nice, although it's a 15L pack and weighs a half pound more than the 20L Outlander one. In retrospect though, getting a paper-thin ultralight daypack might not be the best thing to do to save weight when packing for a long trip.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 26, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Saladman posted:

I bought one of those and it was a horrible piece of poo poo and I threw it away after a month and a half of moderately heavy use. The water resistant material had all peeled away on the top of the bag, one of the zippers broke, and a whole bunch of seams were coming loose all around the backpack. It was probably the travel item I've ever purchased. Seriously I never thought I would be so disappointed by a $20 item, but it had so many massive failures that I can't even understand how badly their factories must be managed.

Yeah I use this jansport bag more often when I travel. It's held up well so far and has a lifetime warranty.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Any kind of compressible daypack sucks loving balls unless youre just using it to carry jackets or whatever. They have no padding so any hard, odd-shaped item constantly pokes you in the back

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Anyone ever try Lems Shoes? http://www.lemsshoes.com/

They are extremely light weight, and most of them aesthetically don't look too terrible or dad shoe-y (though they could definitely change some details).

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Re: daypack: I just use a regular old cotton drawstring bag. Small, light, can't be opened without me noticing it while it's on my back and it cost €2.
Only works when you're not carrying around too much though.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

hbf posted:

Anyone ever try Lems Shoes? http://www.lemsshoes.com/

They are extremely light weight, and most of them aesthetically don't look too terrible or dad shoe-y (though they could definitely change some details).

Oh yeah, I remember those. I thought they were pretty bad, especially in person :(

What exactly are you looking for in them, the wide toebox?

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

I also agree with not using a fancy daypack.

Go to your destination and get the cheapest little bag you can find and just use it.

I tend to just use plastic grocery bags if I need to carry stuff. But i mostly prefer to carry nothing but whats in my pockets these days.

in your day-to-day life do you carry a backpack all over the place? does that not sound cumbersome, especially in hot places? do you really need one traveling? probably not.

if theres one thing I learned about gear from actually traveling, its that all this "travel stuff" is mostly just dream fuel that (people who want to travel) just eat up because "one step closer to my dream!" when in reality the best travel purchases are cheap, practical items. Ones that travel branded sellers dont sell.

for instance the best towel I used was a big ole sheet of linen, rough cut from a fabric supply store. It was small enough to fold tiny but big enough to absorb all the water off me, way better than any travel towel (i ditched that poo poo so early on). I just researched absorbent fabrics and went from there. I encourage you to look up fabrics too because I'm sure im not perfect and my linen isn't the absolute best option, but its a drat good one.

things to not cheap out on: shoes, socks( darn tough merino wool),underwear, (exofficio), and a backpack that fits.

link to the best travel towel ever http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&menu=f&menu=f&fabric_id=1445 protip: get it sewn up nice around the edges for 10 cents at your destination.

I LIKE COOKIE fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

I also agree with not using a fancy daypack.

Go to your destination and get the cheapest little bag you can find and just use it.

I tend to just use plastic grocery bags if I need to carry stuff. But i mostly prefer to carry nothing but whats in my pockets these days.

in your day-to-day life do you carry a backpack all over the place? does that not sound cumbersome, especially in hot places? do you really need one traveling? probably not.

I agree you don't need them in a lot of places, but if you're going to do a bunch of single day hikes or whatever it's pretty much essential, or if you're carrying a real camera and several lenses for taking a bunch of photos so that you can post them on Facebook so that no one will ever look at them.

Also in my day-to-day life I carry a backpack all over the place? Grocery shopping, going to work, etc. I used to carry a messenger bag for years to look more professional, but honestly it was worse in every way than a backpack except it matched my suit better and I looked like a real yuppie instead of an imitation one with a suit and backpack.

E: Grocery bags are good for being inconspicuous though if you want to carry around something expensive but not have it look like it is. Just don't try that trick in Venezuela, where people might think you have a loaf of bread in there and shoot you for it :/.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 27, 2016

• Locked thread