Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Just bought Tales of Hearts R in the sale and jesus christ it's ridiculously anime. Do the characters ever get less.....like that? Bought Shovel Knight too, and ran screaming back to it within 30 minutes of opening ToHR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Help Im Alive posted:

You'll enjoy it but a couple of days after you download the game your starter pokemon from red/blue shows up at your house and asks 'why did you betray me'
Whatever. I swapped my starter Pokemon for a Butterfree in red/blue anyway.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Help Im Alive posted:

You'll enjoy it but a couple of days after you download the game your starter pokemon from red/blue shows up at your house and asks 'why did you betray me'

And then Agumon will roast that fucker
https://youtu.be/Xcz2vHLqtNw

:v:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Pijeus posted:

Just bought Tales of Hearts R in the sale and jesus christ it's ridiculously anime. Do the characters ever get less.....like that? Bought Shovel Knight too, and ran screaming back to it within 30 minutes of opening ToHR.

It is a Tales game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pijeus posted:

Why would you get a tales game if you can't handle anime?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Pijeus posted:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Pijeus posted:

It doesn't even have an English dub, idk what you were expecting

Also, doesn't the cover have the character art on it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*buys a Vita JRPG that's on sale because of Golden Week* wow I sure hope this isn't anime....

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Now now, be nice to him, it's his first post in the vita thread. He deserves being eased into the anime.

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Well I guess I invited all of that. I can definitely handle anime (i took the titty ninjas on honeymoon as my plane game) but I've never played a Tales game before and it was cheap so...
Still gonna play it, just going to be wtfing the whole way through.
Unironically can't wait for nep vs zombies, Almost platinumed neptunia u but fuuuuuuuuuuck going up the tower that many times.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pijeus posted:

(i took the titty ninjas on honeymoon as my plane game)

Sounds like a light novel title in the making.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I honestly can't think of anything in Hearts R that would phase a person who had played a Senran Kagura game

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tales of Hearts is too anime for you but you nearly platinumed a NepNep game. Here's a picture of a very confused Psyduck.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hate this loving lottery thing in Estival Versus

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Baal posted:

I hate this loving lottery thing in Estival Versus

Press square instead of X to skip the animation

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

Now now, be nice to him, it's his first post in the vita thread. He deserves being eased into the anime.

Her....my husband saw me playing estival versus and still hasn't stopped laughing

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

Press square instead of X to skip the animation

I figured this out after a while and I don't know why... why would you make a option for seeing the whole animation and separate the skip option from it

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I honestly can't think of anything in Hearts R that would phase a person who had played a Senran Kagura game
"I have a dumb gimmick
Rhyming lovely poems
And referring to myself in the third person
While insinuating that I'm hitting on this dude's emotionless sister"
By Kor

It's not too bad but it I'm guessing SK doesn't have dudes so that could be why it comes off weird.

Also the "Using Item" gauge really annoys me because what it refers to is item cooldown. And apparently this was changed from the original which just said "Item". Who even thought of that?

HGH fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 27, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Pijeus posted:

Her....my husband saw me playing estival versus and still hasn't stopped laughing

How do you feel about dungeon crawlers? My wife likes Dungeon Travelers 2.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pijeus posted:

Unironically can't wait for nep vs zombies, Almost platinumed neptunia u but fuuuuuuuuuuck going up the tower that many times.

You only have to do it FIVE times!

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer

darth cookie posted:

How do you feel about dungeon crawlers? My wife likes Dungeon Travelers 2.

I really like them but there's something about DT2 and Criminal Girls that really squicks me out in a way that the titty squad and nep games don't. Can't wait for Stranger of Sword City though, and I really liked Brandish and Demon Gaze.

It all started with casually browsing this thread...nest thing I know I have a vita and Persona 4.

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Takoluka posted:

You only have to do it FIVE times!

That's like 4 and a half times too many.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Pijeus posted:

Ah, sorry, read that name for latin grammar. If you can look past the story in DT2, there's a really solid game in there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't really think the DT 2 is on the same level as Criminal Girls but I also realise I'm trying split the thinnest hair with a monofilament blade with that statement.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RanKizama posted:

Whatever. I swapped my starter Pokemon for a Butterfree in red/blue anyway.

You're a monster

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DT2 is very anime fanservicey, but it's never on the same level as Criminal Girls. I'd even venture to say that CG is a little less outwardly fanservicey but replaces it with a mini-game that will probably make you uncomfortable more than once and in a way that DT2 will not ever.

Also, DT2's fan service can be overlooked in favor of a robust system. CG is so bare-bones that the punishment motivation mini-game is really all it has going for it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

RanKizama posted:

Would someone that doesn't know poo poo about Digimon enjoy Cyber Sleuth? I grew up a Pokemon kid.
It was a little weird getting used to the difference of evolving each critter in your team up and down through trees instead of just "catching em all", but you'll get the hang of it fast enough and be glad you don't have to throw away your buddies every time you find the new hotness

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't really think the DT 2 is on the same level as Criminal Girls but I also realise I'm trying split the thinnest hair with a monofilament blade with that statement.
it's true, DT2 actually has gameplay

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Pijeus posted:

I really like them but there's something about DT2 and Criminal Girls that really squicks me out in a way that the titty squad and nep games don't.

Is it the torturing of teenage girls?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Schrodingers cat posted:

Is it the torturing of teenage girls?
they're like in some weird afterlife prison thing where the only real torture appears to be bad gameplay

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DT2 gets extremely loving creepy at points, especially involving the young characters, but has actual gameplay. If you can overlook the former it has good gameplay but nobody should be obligated to.

Criminal Girls starts creepy, never stops getting creepy, and has lovely terrible gameplay.

Basically DT2 is a car with faulty breaks and Criminal Girls is you going off the edge of a cliff into a pool of acid-lava.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Does Escha & Logy Plus run any better than Ayesha? I'm not bothered by a little slow down now and then but I couldn't even run around town without jumping and skipping and everyone popping in. It made the game totally unplayable.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CrashCat posted:

they're like in some weird afterlife prison thing where the only real torture appears to be bad gameplay

Is the torture until "orgasm" for leveling up in CG2 then? I remember that being mentioned when it first came out in Japan.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

HGH posted:

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/724981841128644609

Pretty much this, the perma death mechanics can be pretty rough. And you kinda have to grind some spots for equipment.

Love how RPG Site straight up steals Yoko Tarou's personal images.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Schrodingers cat posted:

Is the torture until "orgasm" for leveling up in CG2 then? I remember that being mentioned when it first came out in Japan.
I dunno you play some poo poo minigame over a blurred out CG and that lets you spend your XP or some poo poo. My curiosity couldn't hold out to watch it for very long

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Schrodingers cat posted:

Yes.

Basically, doing it increases a meter, and filling the meter teaches new skills. Skills that they may or may not do in battle, because attacks are random. (Both CG games are like this.)

I don't know enough about CG2 to know what's changed (outside of better battle animations), but the trailers showed multiple girls, so uhh... there's that.

I dunno. Who's the guy who got the special edition? Maybe he follows this better than any of us.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Megalixir posted:

Love how RPG Site straight up steals Yoko Tarou's personal images.
They link the source in a reply below, but maybe retweeting would have been a better choice.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ugh... CG is really on a tier of its own and it makes me sad that tier exists at all.

Edit: Forgot about Monster Monpiece.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 27, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Criminal Girls is a weird existence, because there is a very profitable H-game market that exists (in the West, even!), and by releasing it on the Vita, you basically make sure you cater to almost nobody.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spuzzz posted:

Does Escha & Logy Plus run any better than Ayesha? I'm not bothered by a little slow down now and then but I couldn't even run around town without jumping and skipping and everyone popping in. It made the game totally unplayable.

Very slightly but it still doesn't run great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to the usual PSN SNAFU I was able to purchase the new Neptunia Zombie game early. The translation seems to be more literal like in Rebirth 1. There is nothing much different from the Neptunia U gameplay. SP charges automatically instead of requiring items to refill and the EXE guage was made larger. All the specials are unlocked from the start and I haven't run into the dumb situation where only one enemy would spawn at a time.

Even for what the game is, it was kinda disappointing. The new characters had no relevance to the story along with Dengekiko and Famitsu. At least this time around there isnt a 100 floor tower and lilly ranks aren't required to unlock events.