Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm not sure nihilistic is the right word to use. Sure, you (by default) probably aren't going to defeat all evil, destroy the God-Machine, unmake the Exarchs, destroy all vampires and so on.

But you absolutely can make life better for those you know, or even for humanity at large. And in many ways, that's really what the WoD cares about. I would say it's more existentialist than nihilistic, in that sense. Sure, there's no overarching purpose to everything. Sure, you can't solve every problem. Sure, there's no great power watching out for humanity, for your friends or for you.

So you do that yourself, and make life a little better.

Right, that was a problem in some WoD games, people knew they couldn't meaningfully interact with the metaplot so they'd gently caress off to the high umbra or the realms supernal to do something somewhere else.

CofD Doesn't have that metaplot, and the world isn't directly ending. So the theme of say, Werewolf, has changed from "The world is ending and you're but one soldier amongst thousands fighting at the feet of titans" to "You can't kill someone's drug addiction, oh wait, you're a werewolf, you literally can. Go take care of that and make your neighborhood a better place."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Terrorforge posted:

The Lead Storyteller looks like this:

Wait, that's what he actually looks like? I always assumed that was just some picture from a WoD book he liked or something. I didn't realize they ACTUALLY had Goth Rasputin in charge

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kaza42 posted:

Wait, that's what he actually looks like? I always assumed that was just some picture from a WoD book he liked or something. I didn't realize they ACTUALLY had Goth Rasputin in charge

Goth Rasputin who can't wait to tell you everything written after 1992 sucks.

I'm still mad.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Look, the man is an integral part of the time portal to the 90s we are building.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Kaza42 posted:

I always assumed that was just some picture from a WoD book he liked or something.

It is, but it's a picture of him from a WoD book.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Terrorforge posted:

That's actually kind of disappointing. I was hoping they'd hired a full-time Goth Rasputin to be in charge of the story because frankly, "is Goth Rasputin" seems like exactly the kind of qualification you want to see on a WoD developer's CV.

Allan Moore already has a job.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

I've been reading Demon: the Descent and man you weren't kidding; it owns. The only real complaint I have so far is that the exceptional success results for a lot of the Embeds are only useful if you already know they're going to happen. For example, the ability to hold the Shatter effect for one minute has a lot of potential, but 9/10 times when I activate Shatter it's going to be because I want to break something now. If I could do it at will I could find a ton of use for it, but as a random upgrade it's only relevant if I'm planning to destroy something and leave immediately.

Oh, and I'm a little confused about Cover. Specifically, the line about how "taking an action grossly out of character" risks Compromise. Is that meant to apply regardless of whether anyone sees you do it? It feels like it should, but it also feels like that would make it really hard for a demon to be a a demon. I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure that bartering for souls and colluding with occult forces to spy on God counts as acting grossly out of character for pretty much anyone.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It is meant to apply when no one is watching, but also meant to only apply to stuff that would, essentially, be Integrity breaking points for the person you are pretending to be. It's the killing-random-people clause, you can only do that if your Cover is, like, a serial killer. (Bartering for souls is covered by 'revealing information about your true nature to others'.)

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

It specifically calls out "suddenly displaying doctorate-level knowledge of physics" as an example, though. Elsewhere it's mentioned that if your Cover is a "strict corporate boss", showing too much compassion can cause Compromise, as would your Cover disappearing for weeks without notice. I guess it's just a matter of degree? Acting out wildly, obviously or consistently risks your Cover, but occasional indiscretions slip by unnoticed. Your corporate tycoon can probably polish his enchanted broadsword in peace, but he shouldn't wear it to board meetings.

As an interesting aside, I'll note that in both examples of pact making in the book, the demon goes out of their way to not reveal their true nature, posing as a mortal cultist and a divine messenger respectively. It's a nice example of the lateral thinking they keep banging on about.

Actually, speaking of revealing information, that clause also confuses me. It's pretty clear that anyone spreading the information at any time is supposed to be a Compromise, though telling multiple people at once only counts as a single leak. But what exactly counts as "at once"? The example used is a Hunter telling his cell about the demon. What if instead of holding a meeting, that hunter calls each cell member individually? What if he holds a meeting, but one member is out of town for a week and doesn't get the info until a week later? What if he tells one guy who then immediately goes into the next room and tells another guy?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I agree that it could be much clearer; my understanding is primarily drawn from forums exchanges and other non-textual material from the writers.

That said, I think the solution that particular issue is 'don't be a dick, GM'.

Because, y'know, whether all that happens is entirely up to the GM and how big a dick they want be to the demon's player.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

In most cases, yeah. The problem I foresee is a player (or possibly an especially shrewd NPC) abusing the RAW to destroy a Cover by doling secrets out sequentially. It might seem clever at first, but I don't think that's a can of worms you want to open.

And yeah, the book as a whole could use a few more explicit yes/no statements. My current bugbear is The Word, because it's really vague about its limitations. What counts as a "command"? Will the target follow the letter or the intent of the command? Does the target have to hear and/or understand the command word? If I can make someone "burn", can I make them "grow" or "evolve"? I get that it's "Storyteller's Discretion: the Exploit" but I feel like it should at least mention whether or not I can use it over the phone.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Terrorforge posted:

It specifically calls out "suddenly displaying doctorate-level knowledge of physics" as an example, though. Elsewhere it's mentioned that if your Cover is a "strict corporate boss", showing too much compassion can cause Compromise, as would your Cover disappearing for weeks without notice. I guess it's just a matter of degree? Acting out wildly, obviously or consistently risks your Cover, but occasional indiscretions slip by unnoticed. Your corporate tycoon can probably polish his enchanted broadsword in peace, but he shouldn't wear it to board meetings.

You've got it. It's specifically for things that Cover would not or absolutely could not do. If you find yourself running into confusion over whether things like fighting angels or spying on G-M facilities, consider that a not-inconsiderable number of people would fight back or investigate weird things they came across. I admit that the doctorate level of physics example isn't a good one for this particular kind of compromise--it's really a better example of the kind of thing that's probably not a compromise roll in and of itself, but could make someone suspicious enough to start investigating you.

But yeah, it's a matter of degrees. If Blake from Glengarry Glen Ross shows up at the office Monday morning and suddenly gives everyone a bonus and three extra weeks' vacation, that might be a compromise. (It might also just be like the physics thing above--his coworkers get suspicious and start trying to figure out what's up, which leads to a risk of compromise when they realize Ohmiel ate Blake's soul at Studio 54 Saturday night.) If he just throttles back on the hardass front, or just starts acting a little erratic, that's suspicious but not necessarily a compromise. It's something you can tune depending on how much you want your game to focus on paranoia and the consequences of letting your lies slip, even for a second.

Terrorforge posted:

Actually, speaking of revealing information, that clause also confuses me. It's pretty clear that anyone spreading the information at any time is supposed to be a Compromise, though telling multiple people at once only counts as a single leak. But what exactly counts as "at once"? The example used is a Hunter telling his cell about the demon. What if instead of holding a meeting, that hunter calls each cell member individually? What if he holds a meeting, but one member is out of town for a week and doesn't get the info until a week later? What if he tells one guy who then immediately goes into the next room and tells another guy?

A good rule of thumb is probably "if you can sum up the information dissemination as a single event, it probably only counts once. "Gary told his cell about the demon" is probably a single event, no matter the specific logistics of how he told them. "Gary told his cell about the demon, then Bob called that weird old guy who calls himself the Chevalier to ask 'is this one of yours?', and Judy went and did some more digging on her own" counts as multiple. There are probably edge cases that you'll have to adjudicate, but that's a good baseline.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

*e whoa, formatting

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The way I think of cover risk is as a specifically risky and extraordinary action taken while under cover. To adapt an example from an old Demon game in the PbP archives: A demon is under cover as a cordon bleu chef, and he needs to high tail it to a local clusterfuck to extract the other demons in his ring. He Tokyo drifts his rear end across the city in minutes during high traffic hours, because time is that critical.

The God-Machine doesn’t have eyes EVERYWHERE, but it has two primary means of detecting incognito demons – a variable sensitivity (based on angel proximity, etc.) to manipulation and exertion of aether, and a duller sensitivity to things working the way they’re “supposed to”. Demons operate on the margins of the GM’s rules of reality, and beyond things like physics and chemistry, there are to a greater or lesser degree rules about what humans can or cannot do. An action doesn’t have to be impossible, but if very few can do it, it has to be accounted for or else it will stick out. Doing crazy poo poo slips the mask of cover ever so slightly and there’s a chance you’ll catch heat if you’re not careful.

So a demon’s stunt driving across LA. Normally this would incur cover risk, because nobody would expect a chef to have such skills. But say the demon secured a lesser contract with a petty criminal, who gave up his experiences joyriding as a kid in exchange for the “misplacement” of evidence against him in a robbery case. Now driving like a maniac is part of that chef’s history. A thing about the GM and angels that demons can often exploit is that they’re observant but not terribly critical, and because of that, players-as-demons can get away with a lot of stuff if they rationalize it in such a way that the action falls within the realm of logical possibility. It’s much like paradox in Mage, as I understand it – summoning a fireball from nowhere incurs it, but if you’ve got a lighter and an aerosol can on hand it’s a lot less risky.

I sort of see this as a corollary to the systems like “morality” in Hunter. In that system, a person with low morality score can do a lot of things without consequence, but a paragon of morality will risk devolution if they look at someone’s hard drive without their permission. Higher score, higher standards. Likewise a Demon’s cover, as it gets stronger, becomes more defined, there are more “facts” that are added to the legend, and therefore more opportunities to slip up and break the rules. So if you go into action with a cover, it’s going to deteriorate. A good cover will just last longer before you have to go loud.

Note that espionage is acting. I as a GM would allow wiggle room if something extraordinary is done but finessed in certain ways. So if a demon needs to convey what the temperature in Kelvin of plasma in a solar core, he could say “ten to the seventh power” on the spot, which would be a risk if the cover is a line cook, but if that line cook liked to read in his spare time then the demon could make a big show of it with pacing and brow-rubbing for a minute and saying “God, I know I read this somewhere” and throw out a false answer before “remembering”, but still acting uncertain. That wouldn’t raise flags.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Note that espionage is acting. I as a GM would allow wiggle room if something extraordinary is done but finessed in certain ways. So if a demon needs to convey what the temperature in Kelvin of plasma in a solar core, he could say “ten to the seventh power” on the spot, which would be a risk if the cover is a line cook, but if that line cook liked to read in his spare time then the demon could make a big show of it with pacing and brow-rubbing for a minute and saying “God, I know I read this somewhere” and throw out a false answer before “remembering”, but still acting uncertain. That wouldn’t raise flags.

I was thinking along the same lines. It might also be worth considering that as described in-universe, except for truly egregious compromises, Cover doesn't so much disappear in chunks as "fray" away bit by bit. Thus it seems reasonable to me for non-catastrophic breaches to come with a grace period. Take the above example; if you don't prepare properly and just blurt out an answer you shouldn't have, that's suspicious, and suspicion eats at your Cover. If you can defuse that suspicion by convincing those present that you're just a well-read nerd with a head for numbers, the damage stops there - although your next indiscretion will be even harder to brush off.

If however you were to just drop that bomb and not even to explain it away (or worse, tip your hand further with clumsy attempts at damage control), that suspicion might fester and permanently damage your Cover (force a Compromise).

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

From all this talk it sounds like Demon is just Shadowrun: gently caress god edition.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

From all this talk it sounds like Demon is just Shadowrun: gently caress god edition.

It's got something of that in it. I think of it as Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Cyborg.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's got something of that in it. I think of it as Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Cyborg.

The Honorable Schoolbot.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I've just started a campaign with some friends using the CofD rules for vampire: Requiem 2e is what we're using. I don't have the most experience with Chronicles; so maybe you guys can help!

How often do vampires need to feed in 2e? I don't see it anywhere- also what happens when you're out of Vitae? What makes a vampire hungry or starving for modifiers to predatory aura?

The rules for vitae say about kindred vitae: "However, it’s efficient. Every Vitae taken is a Vitae earned" What does that mean? Does it give more vitae? Does mortal blood not nourish as well?

With regards to sanctity of Merits- what happens when you lose a touchstone? Do you just automatically get a new touchstone? How do you get the languid condition? The rules are kind of confusing! Are touchstones aware of the vampiric condition since they can talk a vampire down from Frenzy?

Is there a good source for antagonist design for Chronicles?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Quantumfate posted:

How often do vampires need to feed in 2e?
Vampires expend one point of Vitae when they wake every night, so they have to average at least one point per day.

Quantumfate posted:

what happens when you're out of Vitae?
When you would wake and spend a point of VItae, you instead fall into torpor.

Quantumfate posted:

What makes a vampire hungry or starving for modifiers to predatory aura?
Hungry is 4 Vitae or less; Starving is 2 Vitae or less

Quantumfate posted:

The rules for vitae say about kindred vitae: "However, it’s efficient. Every Vitae taken is a Vitae earned" What does that mean? Does it give more vitae? Does mortal blood not nourish as well?
It just means that there's no "conversion tax" or anything like that. Specifically, I think it refers to the fact that the Vitae in a vampire's body can be significantly more concentrated than the blood in a human body. You also don't do damage to Kindred when you feed from them, you just steal Vitae directly.

Quantumfate posted:

With regards to sanctity of Merits- what happens when you lose a touchstone? Do you just automatically get a new touchstone? How do you get the languid condition? The rules are kind of confusing!
"If a vampire loses her last Touchstone — for example, if he died — then she has two choices. She may immediately lose a dot of Humanity. If she takes that path, she has one month to find a new Touchstone to replace him. If she does not within that time, she gets the Languid Condition (see p. 304). Alternately, she may take the Languid Condition immediately."

You don't get a new Touchstone automatically - you have to work for it, establishing the relationship through roleplay and then gain a point of Humanity to cement it.

As for the sanctity of merits, that just means that if you do lose the touchstone permanently, you get to reassign that merit dot - for example, putting it into Haven to represent your character retreating from a frightening world.

Quantumfate posted:

Are touchstones aware of the vampiric condition since they can talk a vampire down from Frenzy?
If you look at the examples, you'll see that some do and some don't.

Quantumfate posted:

Is there a good source for antagonist design for Chronicles?
I don't think there's any such material for 2e specifically, but it's not like converting 1e stuff is a herculean task. Requiem itself has all the business with the Strix, though, which seems like a good place to start.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Terrorforge posted:

I don't think there's any such material for 2e specifically, but it's not like converting 1e stuff is a herculean task. Requiem itself has all the business with the Strix, though, which seems like a good place to start.

The new Chronicles of Darkness core book has the horror creation section which would let you build supernatural creatures for use with Requiem.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Stumbled on another unclear rules thing reading through the CofD rulebook:

Chronicles of Darkness posted:

If the Storyteller judges that your character’s actions during a scene reflect his Vice, he regains one spent Willpower point. Note that acting on a Virtue or Vice does not need to pose difficulty or risk to your character.
If the Storyteller judges that your character’s actions during a scene reflected her Virtue while posing her difficulty or risk, she regains all spent Willpower. She may regain Willpower up to twice per game session in this way.

For a second I thought that implied you could also regain single points of Willpower by fulfilling your Virtue in small ways, but it's just a typo, isn't it?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Terrorforge posted:

For a second I thought that implied you could also regain single points of Willpower by fulfilling your Virtue in small ways, but it's just a typo, isn't it?

Looks like a typo, yeah.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Terrorforge posted:

You could probably just re-order the sentences to make better sense:

quote:

Note that acting on a Virtue or Vice does not need to pose difficulty or risk to your character.

If the Storyteller judges that your character’s actions during a scene reflect his Vice, he regains one spent Willpower point.

If the Storyteller judges that your character’s actions during a scene reflected her Virtue while posing her difficulty or risk, she regains all spent Willpower. She may regain Willpower up to twice per game session in this way.

e: I guess there is still some ambiguity that way and that was what you picked up on anyway, so nvm.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Started recruiting for a D:tD game over in The Game Room. 3-4 players, ideally available for real-time chat. Post in the thread if you're interested.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
Vampire MET update.

Regional Prince and my Advocate were having a private meeting (which is why I imagine Vampire LARP has such a negative stereotype, it's more or less Boardrooms the Masquerade, anyone not involved in the power plays feels like an extraneous charterer at times), which apparently brought to light that the Anarch's constable was feeding info to the local hunters, which lead to the death of the Cams Harpy.
Rather then asking our Constable, the Advocate decided to try and pry it out of his brain, while we were busy doing his job negotiating a temporary truce with the local Settite clan. So he wigged out and left town.

Me and the other anarchs were left sitting on park bench bored out of our minds, wondering what the hell just happened.
Needless to say I did what any self respecting Anarch would do and started a riot during the Cam meeting. All while very clearly luring the entire Settite group to their meeting. Not a Cammie got hurt, the entire Cult of Set was slain to a snake(?), and I made some friends with a pair of Toreadors. Granted pretty much any person with authority seems to hate me but what's you gonna do.

Seriously, though, me and like half the Anarchs were gonna walk from boredom until I decided to start poo poo. It's waaaaay to easy to put a Vampire court into a state of doing nothing safely, which seems to be the current goal of both the Advocate and Ambassador.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Sounds like an inherent risk of a political game where the big dogs are real players and there's little risk of outside influence. Much as it's nice to talk up player agency, most players like to "win", keep their characters, move forward with the story etc., so they don't take big risks or start interesting but risky conflicts. That's usually offset by an ST forcing action on them, but when the whole thing is player-lead there's a significant risk it breaks down into "playing house", as it were. Kudos on making poo poo happen.

Makes me wonder if it mightn't be a good idea to seed these events with "NPC" troublemakers. Give somebody a "fake", disposable character and the explicit mission to poke the hornet's nest.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Terrorforge posted:

Sounds like an inherent risk of a political game where the big dogs are real players and there's little risk of outside influence. Much as it's nice to talk up player agency, most players like to "win", keep their characters, move forward with the story etc., so they don't take big risks or start interesting but risky conflicts. That's usually offset by an ST forcing action on them, but when the whole thing is player-lead there's a significant risk it breaks down into "playing house", as it were. Kudos on making poo poo happen.

Makes me wonder if it mightn't be a good idea to seed these events with "NPC" troublemakers. Give somebody a "fake", disposable character and the explicit mission to poke the hornet's nest.

This works very well, especially if you (as the ST) get them to visibly go through the process of character creation, establishing ties with other PCs, etc.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Someone in the Catpiss thread did that in a Dark Ages LARP, playing Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by way of a Lasombra priest, getting involved in as much as possible to cause chaos. Nobody picked up on what was happening even when he flipped in front of them, and he was eventually staked on an unrelated matter, nearly causing a fight to break out over what to do with him. Then the truth finally came out to the shock (and enjoyment) of the players.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Terrorforge posted:

Sounds like an inherent risk of a political game

It's tough to appreciate conflict in a LARP game when you deal with character death and XP loss, or when your political enemies use ST plots as excuses to attack your position/status, or when people who are bored decide to 'start poo poo' by wiping out an entire Clan (hopefully if any PCs got wiped out, they at least had some kind of fun.)

The usual lack of good Staff to Players ratios, people identifying more strongly with their characters because of the medium, and a vast differential between player investment in the game itself (people who have been playing for years, vs. newcomers and tourists competing for the same space/plots) are all pitfalls that seem to come up over and over again in long-form Vampire campaigns.

Most LARP games like that would almost run better as PbP. It takes a really good crew to really work around those pitfalls in a live game and take advantage of the medium.

Anti-Citizen, can I ask what City your game is in?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The best LARP story I ever heard is of a few people who decided to join a vampire LARP, played a bit, and then were asked to sit outside a room and wait by the Storytellers. After hours of inactivity they were informed that their characters had been ambushed, staked, and diablerized, and the huge delay was a result of the culprits (longtime players with ST support) carefully calculating who should diablerize whom and in what order in order to maximize the gains.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 27, 2016

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

This works very well, especially if you (as the ST) get them to visibly go through the process of character creation, establishing ties with other PCs, etc.

This works well sometimes.

Unfortunately, I've seen it backfire too, with the established player-base then distrusting new players as a knee-jerk reaction. And while having a paranoid-Prince establish Nazi-like interrogation scenes for every new lick that shows up is an interesting concept, in practice it usually just turns off any new players from investing in the game when that's their first experience.

e: ^Ugh, that's terrible. The diablerie mechanic is so bad for group games. Incentivization to kill other PCs for free XP is not a good rule.

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 27, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

The best LARP story I ever heard is of a few people who decided to join a vampire LARP, played a bit, and then were asked to sit outside a room and wait by the Storytellers. After hours of inactivity they were informed that their characters had been ambushed, staked, and diablerized, and the huge delay was a result of the culprits (longtime players with ST support) carefully calculating who should diablerize whom and in what order in order to maximize the gains.

That was HappyElf, and I don't think it was a LARP.

quote:

MEGA-DIABLERIE CHAIN:

I'd met this group of players through a friend, and we were really glad to meet them because there weren't many people we knew in town who played besides us. The main guy even let us play at his house, and was enthusiastic about characters, so things seemed really cool. There are a few stories about them, but i'll tell the most ridiculous.

A friend of mine was really eager to play Vampire. After a few years of knowing about it, one of the guys in this group (who I was gming for) declared that he would be running a vampire game, for us and ANOTHER group these other guys knew. We were happy to play it because it was pretty new to us, so me and my two friends rolled up some vamps and played with the group, while the other group was going to come by later on. We were playing two brujah and a gangrel, the other guys were playing like a malk who thought he was sherlock holmes and some other poo poo. We never foud out what the other party was playing.

Early on the game was regulation horrible. We went through the Sabbat initiation process, and then things just got surreal. We were kind of wandering around the city, and some super-powerful vampire NPCs turned up and fought each other. Yeah I know, massive plot twist, right?

But it was wose than that. They had huge potence and celerity, so we couldn't even see them move, and the only part we took in the battle was repeatedly being staked and unstaked and then re-staked as one of these super-doods zoomed by us. Why?

Well one guy didn't want us getting involved because we were such nubs, so when he zoomed past he stuck wooden stakes in all our hearts, paralising us. So we're wandering along, and then we see these two badasses, and then there's a lot of wind and suddenly big bits of wood seem to sprout from our chests and we're going A over T and flopping around on the ground like landed fish.

Then the other guy zoomed past, and aparently just to spite the first guy, he pulled the stakes back out of our chests. So these bits of wood vanish and fly into the air and we can move again and we start getting up and dusting ourselves off. Only then the first guy comes back past us and stakes us all again before we even fully stand up again. And so it went.

After stakeapalooza finished up, we were given a mission to track down some mysterious guy called monty or something. The other players turned up at this point, we all said our hellos, and then they ajourned to another room. the GM went next door to check with them occasionally, leaving us waiting for ten minutes at a time and them waiting at least that long.

Back in our game, we followed a laad to an. . underground series of tunnels in another part of the city, and fought some vampires and some werewolves who were working with them. Yeah. And then once we beat them all, the GM and the other players in our group entered phase one of the DIABERLIE EXTRAVAGANZA.

See when a vampire totally sucks the poo poo out of another vampire's blood, and sucks them to death, they can take some of their power. This is basically the alpha-powergaming of the V:TM set, where you can eat other vampire's souls and level up in a way not otherwise possible. It's a big no-no if you're in the camarilla, but we were in the eevil Sabbat so it was ok for us to do it. And of course, being OWOD the rules for doing it were dodgy and easily exploited. Diablerie was a powergamers' wet dream.

As a result there was a great deal of math that aparently had to go into the dialberlire of the six vampires we had defeated. The GM and his buddies put some serious thought into planning the mass-diaberlie, in order to maximise the power yield of said horrifc blood orgy. They even called in a few of their buds from the other room to lay things out in the best possible way.

First we had to figure out who would get to diablerise, and then what order they would diaberlise in, in order to maximise their power gain and minimise risk. One PC could not diablerise at all since they already had the same disiplines of the vamps we were eating, and another had a low generation, so they could not either, since they'd only go from 12th gen to 11th wheras somebody else could go from 10th to 9th! And on and on the calculations went. Then somebody realised that draining the werewolf henchmen of blood would boost people's fortitude, hence helping them diablerise better, and everyone recalculated.

This took about half an hour, even though it really wasn't that hard. For all their enthusiasm for optimal power, they kind of weren't very good at handling basic numbers I guess, and they'd constantly refine the plan, laying it out like this: "Ok you diablerise him and then you drain a werewolf and then you diablerise him, then you're done and next you drain a werewolf first and then dialberise him and-" and one and on.

Then we sucked them all to death or whatever. We were kind of over the whole game at this point, but we were hoping the action would pick up. And we still hadn't met the other PC party, maybe that would be interesting.

We did some investigation work and figured out the monty guy was actually like montazuma or something and he was an elder vampire in torpor in some zigguraut in south america. Note at this point we've still seen nothing of the other group, althought the GM left to confer with them regulalry, leaving us waiting for a few minutes each time.

We flew down to south america and broke into this tomb looking for monty. At this stage I suspected that we'd end up diablerising him, but who knows? We went down a few straight hallways and tunnels, and finally came to some kind of guardian or it might have been monty itself it wasn't clear. Aparently something about the guy made us all roll frenzy checks, and me and the other Brujah in the party (a friend of mine) failed and that meant we attacked each other for some reason, only the guy we were fighting was in between us. So we cut through him in one round of celerity and then laid each other out.

I realise how long this is, but I wanted to lay things out. You see, here's where it gets really retarded.

Our whole party bar one or two was down in torpor, so the GM asked us to wait outside. So we went outside, at two in the morning, sat on the stairs, and waited.

For four hours.

Let me make this clear. In our defence, we were sick of the game. Really we were much happier to be sitting outside, under the stars, smoking and talking and such, rather than playing anymore. My and one friend wanted to catch up to the other friend, and we were talking to the otehr guys about other games and ideas we had and such. But we were in theory, still playing and waiting for the word to come back in. All we could hear from inside was some kind of tense conversation, we weren't sure about what.

The few times we got word from inside, we were told it would just be a few more minutes. It wasn't really a wierd way to spend time for us since we used to hang out in much the same way if we had nothing to do, but around the time the sun started coming up we realised something really wierd was going on inside. And no it wasn't like a gay orgy or something. I kind of wish it had been.

Eventually the GM came out and we went back in and the game was over. He told us we were dead and then said we'd been diaberlised. By the other party, who had apparently just gotten out of the ziggeraut when we came back into the room and the game was called to an end.

It wasn't clear what they'd been doing for four hours, but we kind of assumed there was some big dungeon in the tomb and the thing we'd fought hadn't been the thing we were after, it must have been deeper inside. Of course me and my friends all vowed never to play in that guy's games again, but apparently this was more of a one-off anyway. Still, I was curious as to what the gently caress had been going on in there.

Next week I was running the game in the same house, and although the GM of the lovely game was tight lipped, I asked some people some questions, and checked out the vampire character sheets which were still there, and some scratch-paper with them upon which was laid out a bizzare but oddly familiar series of numbers. After a while I realised what had really happened.

The other PCs had been trailing us the whole game. Just following along. And when we went down fighting in the tomb, they immediately swooped in, finished off one other party member, and joined forces with the other one left standing. They did that in the first ten minutes we spent outside.

And then they spent the next four hours of real time figuring out how to diablerise our PCs and the Monty vamp in the most optimal and efficient manner, so as to gain the maximum possibly value from doing so.

So, like the mess we'd sat through after the fight we'd had earlier, only eight times longer. That is all. They. Did. For four. Hours.

We stopped playing with those guys.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Barbed Tongues posted:

This works well sometimes.

Unfortunately, I've seen it backfire too, with the established player-base then distrusting new players as a knee-jerk reaction. And while having a paranoid-Prince establish Nazi-like interrogation scenes for every new lick that shows up is an interesting concept, in practice it usually just turns off any new players from investing in the game when that's their first experience.

e: ^Ugh, that's terrible. The diablerie mechanic is so bad for group games. Incentivization to kill other PCs for free XP is not a good rule.

Yup, the whole 'secret infiltrators' does not work at all if it results in a playerbase that spends the first hours of a player's experience with the game as a depressingly solitary interrogation.

Its better to trust that player will develop their rivalries and compete, especially with hard XP floors to keep everyone from feeling like they can't fall behind.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Reading through F&F I came up with a game idea where you play as aliens fleeing their homeworld after it got shitfucked by WoD shenanigans, only to come to Earth and find it engulfed by those same forces. With not enough supplies to go with any alternative, they now have to adopt to their new home, and figure out how to defeat the darkness and whether or not the Earthlings are acceptable collateral damage.

Each of the splats represents the different WoD lines in alien form, but they each look like movie aliens. Or rather, movie aliens look like the real deal. So instead of vampires you have Mr. Spock that feeds on rational thought, and instead of werewolves you have Giger Xenomorphs.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

My favorite vampire LARP story was the group that went into an established Camarilla larp, sat down in a circle with an egg timer. When asked what they were doing they just said they were casting a ritual and otherwise weren't disruptive or hostile to conversation.

Eventually the egg timer went off and the Storytellers informed everyone that they just let a bunch of Sabbat vampires infiltrate their gathering and complete a blood ritual and now all of them were dead.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I like the story where super soakers were used to protect a university burrito shop from closing.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007

Barbed Tongues posted:

Most LARP games like that would almost run better as PbP. It takes a really good crew to really work around those pitfalls in a live game and take advantage of the medium.

Anti-Citizen, can I ask what City your game is in?

We're in Sacramento, most of the game is PbP which yeah works a lot better. I was just annoyed with the 4 hour long meeting with an hour long break for bickering over the summoning rules had monopolized the session.

That part could have easily been done on the web.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Kurieg posted:

My favorite vampire LARP story was the group that went into an established Camarilla larp, sat down in a circle with an egg timer. When asked what they were doing they just said they were casting a ritual and otherwise weren't disruptive or hostile to conversation.

Eventually the egg timer went off and the Storytellers informed everyone that they just let a bunch of Sabbat vampires infiltrate their gathering and complete a blood ritual and now all of them were dead.

Heh, reminds of that time when Spoony first participated in a LARP where his character was tortured by the other players who then foolishly let him join their Covenant in the belief that they "won him over." As his PC was min-maxed in chemistry, he infiltrated Elysium with a bunch of homebrewed explosives and blew them up, killing the majority of the Kindred gathered there.

Starts around the 10:34 mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, since I hate myself, and I'm sort of obligated to, I got the Beast fiction anthology.

The first story is an Eshmaki Nemesis gaslighting her abusive mother that she hasn't seen in fifteen years.

Really off to a great start.