Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

xom still turns snakes into sticks, though?

e: i don't think that effect was actually changed at all to match the spell, it can still make quarterstaves and so on.
It's a nerf to the Xom quality, not a power level thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Shinino Kage posted:

Okay, guys. This is my best game EVER so far. Level 25 and just cleared Vaults 5 -- what should I do next, given my character? Is there any equipment I don't need anymore that I"m carrying? Anything I should be looking for?

78 AC is incredible, good stuff. That CPA of yours is the stuff of legends. But dodging is good too, and you haven't trained it at all! You're spending way more experience on very high armour skill that would get much more utility from some dodging as far as defenses.

Also, even if you're in Crystal Plate, you've got a whopping 30 Intelligence, 25 armour skill, and plenty of strength to wear it with reduced spellcasting inhibition. And your placid magic will reduce failure chance some, and you've got huge intelligence for spellpower. You should grab some support magic! Ctrl-F for some nice spells like Regeneration, Animate Skeleton / Dead, Repel Missiles, Blink, Apportion, Summon Butterflies, Shroud / Passage of Golubria... there are a buncha spells out there that you could probably get running to flesh out your build a bit more.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Shinino Kage posted:

Okay, guys. This is my best game EVER so far. Level 25 and just cleared Vaults 5 -- what should I do next, given my character? Is there any equipment I don't need anymore that I"m carrying? Anything I should be looking for?

Shinino the Slayer (Gargoyle Fighter) Turns: 56328, Time: 11:37:18

Health: 176/176 AC: 78

Goddam man, maybe I haven't played a gargoyle in a while and used to playing squishier characters but when I see those numbers I get pretty envious

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I feel like Gargoyle is a great class for just about anything. Tanky fighters obviously, but also enough defenses to get around the early game squishiness of casters. And the Poison immunity helps get around the early unlucky adder deaths as well (which happens embarrassingly often to me).

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fhqwhgads posted:

I feel like Gargoyle is a great class for just about anything. Tanky fighters obviously, but also enough defenses to get around the early game squishiness of casters. And the Poison immunity helps get around the early unlucky adder deaths as well (which happens embarrassingly often to me).

Perma flying, rot immunity, torment resistance, innate resistances out the whazoo... Why am I not playing a gargoyle right now instead of banging my head against a wall with Mummy Wizards of Gozag?

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

Goddam man, maybe I haven't played a gargoyle in a while and used to playing squishier characters but when I see those numbers I get pretty envious

I'm AC 81 now.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
They pretty much have rLair between poison immunity and an affinity for maces(rHydra). Ogres and (especially) orc priests still hurt due to low gargoyle HP.

The defenses are ridiculous of course - I never hit 81 AC but I had one with 67 AC and 33 EV.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 27, 2016

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

FulsomFrank posted:

Perma flying, rot immunity, torment resistance, innate resistances out the whazoo... Why am I not playing a gargoyle right now instead of banging my head against a wall with Mummy Wizards of Gozag?

Because a lategame mummy wizard of gozag is the stuff dreams are made of

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
I now have 4 runes, just finished Slime. Going to give Crypts a shot.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The 0.18 tournament page is up!

It starts May 6th.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'm going to need a good Abyss pun again. Hm.

Give A Man Abyss And You Feed Them For A Day?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
My team: The Wolf Pakellas

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
So about to head to Zot for the first win, I think.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I need to get back into this for the tournament. I haven't really touched 0.18 much. How serious is no rMut? Does anyone have like a Cliff's notes of what I need to know?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

odiv posted:

How serious is no rMut?
Not a big deal. cMut is more common, malmut continues to not exist outside of extended. Just kill neqozecs on sight and you'll be fine.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Haifisch & co? Anyone from the old gang still posting?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm going to need a good Abyss pun again. Hm.

Give A Man Abyss And You Feed Them For A Day?

Life's Abyss and Then You Die.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
where's Sigmund's Schadenfreude Squad at :clint:

e: this tourny's gonna start not long after I have my wisdom teeth taken out lmao. ready to streak on painkillers

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

quote:

Xom is always looking for entertainment and thinks it would be hilarious to watch a player's DESCENT INTO MADNESS into the Abyss or through a ziggurat.

I: Enter the Abyss.
II: Reach the 10th floor of a ziggurat.
III: Leave a ziggurat from its lowest floor.

That doesn't seem so bad?

I've never done a tournament before and I would like to try one but I'm curious, are you responsible for submitting what you think are the qualifications necessary to take a banner level? And you have to play online on the awful laggy webtiles?

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 27, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yes, you have to play on webtiles. It's all automatic though(if you wanna be on a team you gotta put your team captain in your rcfile, '# TEAMCAPTAIN nameofcaptain').

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

where's Sigmund's Schadenfreude Squad at :clint:

e: this tourny's gonna start not long after I have my wisdom teeth taken out lmao. ready to streak on painkillers

I'm up for it again. I'll make the team when I get home if you or someone else already hasn't (still liking Crawl of Duty for a name unless something better comes up).

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Dark Shoals III

e: They Named the Third Abyss Rework Abyss:1

megane fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 27, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Zaodai posted:

Life's Abyss and Then You Die.

Has a nice ring to it, now that you mention it.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
O, a tournament. I want to participate in this one.

Anyone recruiting a team of people to die horribly?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

FulsomFrank posted:

That doesn't seem so bad?

I've never done a tournament before and I would like to try one but I'm curious, are you responsible for submitting what you think are the qualifications necessary to take a banner level? And you have to play online on the awful laggy webtiles?

No, you can play as god intended (online console)

Edit: and the banners are checked automatically via milestones and computer wizardry

kaschei fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 27, 2016

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Well, gently caress.

Died on Zot 3 -- bunch of draconians showed up, I was taking them out then one teleported me to a corner where they surrounded me. Started regen at half health but one of them was a annihilator and hitting me with serious fire damage. Healed in one round from 50 to 8. :P Should have blinked as soon as I hit half-health as it would have taken 1.5 turns.

Oh well. Taking a break until the tourney :)

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

megane posted:

That's good and funny.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Rupert crossbows his father Maurice dead on the Slime rune

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

megane posted:

Dark Shoals III

Idgi

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Awful team names people can steal and improve:
Goons Against Malicious Mutations
Rhyme Drakes
Mostly Harmless
Purple Rain
Zeezeemeatls
Hybrid Heaven
Beoghs Bizarre Adventure
Greatersplatters

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

The Xbox and ps4 threads in games

Crawl 0.18: Just Play 0.17

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Floodkiller posted:

I'm up for it again. I'll make the team when I get home if you or someone else already hasn't (still liking Crawl of Duty for a name unless something better comes up).

I'm in, as always. Will sort my rcfile out when I get home tonight

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

I'm up for a tournament team if anyone will have me.

Edit: I've been playing since .034 or so and have a number of wins (lots offline), but since I prefer 15-rune wins I often crash with characters that can do simple 3-rune wins.

King of False Promises fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 27, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So 0.18 is coming out with the mutation system still awful? Honestly struggling to work up the motivation to play extended in light of that.

:byodood:REMOVE:byodood:
:byodood:GLOW:byodood:
:byodood:FROM:byodood:
:byodood:HELL:byodood:
:byodood:EFFECTS:byodood:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

Awful team names people can steal and improve:
Zeezeemeatls

Stealing this one for my crappy beginner team. I'm going to be team leader with 1 3-rune win :toot:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

LogicNinja posted:

Haifisch & co? Anyone from the old gang still posting?

Yo I'm around and I'll tell Haifisch to be also. Let's do this thing. :getin:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

FulsomFrank posted:

And you have to play online on the awful laggy webtiles?
Nah, you can play console!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

So 0.18 is coming out with the mutation system still awful? Honestly struggling to work up the motivation to play extended in light of that.

:byodood:REMOVE:byodood:
:byodood:GLOW:byodood:
:byodood:FROM:byodood:
:byodood:HELL:byodood:
:byodood:EFFECTS:byodood:

I'm probably going to do it on a Zinotaur on my one Extended run so I can continue to ignore the mutation system in the areas of the game where it is intolerable.

Also, I don't see 0.18 branched out on any of the servers yet to put the necessary stuff in the rcfile, but here's the team sign-up for when I can set it up:
code:
Crawl of Duty

1. Floodkiller
2. IronicDongz (Shard1697)
3. Wolfechu

# TEAMCAPTAIN Floodkiller
Anyone can join (priority to any previous members of the SSS in any form), no skill level required; you just have to be willing to play (and die) a bunch. Playing for banners/the biggest mutation list is also acceptable.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

megane posted:

Dark Shoals III

That's such a terrible in-joke pun that I am sorely tempted to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm playing Crawl a lot less these days, so I might join in on a team and maybe squeeze out a win or two, but I'm not going to be posting the 0.18 thread. Someone else should plan to do that.

• Locked thread