Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
I'm not really a fan of blind, I like my LPers to have so much knowledge about their video game of choice that it's borderline uncomfortable, you politely enjoy their enthusiasm as you avoid eye contact with the elephant in the room that is whatever hosed up things they must have going on in their personal life to delve to that level of escapism.

I like SGF though so maybe I'll check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Here's the thing though; A not-blind LP of The Witness cannot work.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you want an LP of Witness, ride your local bus and watch somebody play Sudoku over their shoulder. You are welcome.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Fedule posted:

Here's the thing though; A not-blind LP of The Witness cannot work.

Wouldn't that just be a video walk-through?

"This puzzle requires you to do X, so the solution is Y. This next puzzle corresponds with this part of the scenery, so we do Z"

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FicusArt posted:

"This puzzle requires you to do X, so the solution is Y. This next puzzle corresponds with this part of the scenery, so we do Z"

That is more or less the point I am making, yes.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I've been getting way into speedrun races and such like RPG Limitbreak and Games Done Quick where super knowledgeable guys try to beat games (primarily RPGs) as fast as they can, but I was curious if you goons knew of any similar formatted stuff that wasn't necessarily speedrunning. As in, either races between people playing through RPGs/Strategy games or runs done by really knowledgable and preferably not annoying.insufferable people.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FicusArt posted:

Isn't that most puzzle games though? I think there is enough off the beaten path stuff that you could make a not blind witness l.p. work.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Jordan7hm posted:

Isn't that most puzzle games though? I think there is enough off the beaten path stuff that you could make a not blind witness l.p. work.

Yeah, there's a test post in the sandcastle where the player in control isn't fully blind (and certainly isn't blind for that video) and it showed off a surprising amount of things that I missed already. He does have the benefit of blind co-commentators and a gimmick to make the commentary interesting, though.

E: If an LP that hasn't even been posted yet afaik can be recommended, there's my content. :v:

E:VVV poo poo, sorry. I didn't know it was posted. People need to use the New LP Thread Thread, dammit! :argh:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 25, 2016

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
^^^^
Haha, it's alright; I realize in retrospect I sounded like an rear end. My bad on that.

AlphaKretin posted:

Yeah, there's a test post in the sandcastle where the player in control isn't fully blind (and certainly isn't blind for that video) and it showed off a surprising amount of things that I missed already. He does have the benefit of blind co-commentators and a gimmick to make the commentary interesting, though.

E: If an LP that hasn't even been posted yet afaik can be recommended, there's my content. :v:
Well since you didn't link to the one you're mentioning, here it is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773217. There's also another second one going on as well: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763619

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 25, 2016

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Verranicus posted:

I've been getting way into speedrun races and such like RPG Limitbreak and Games Done Quick where super knowledgeable guys try to beat games (primarily RPGs) as fast as they can, but I was curious if you goons knew of any similar formatted stuff that wasn't necessarily speedrunning. As in, either races between people playing through RPGs/Strategy games or runs done by really knowledgable and preferably not annoying.insufferable people.

Many A True Nerd did runs of Fallout 3 and of New Vegas where he killed everything he came across, runs where he refused to kill anything, runs where he refused to heal through the entire game + DLCs to see if it was doable on one life bar, & (my personal favorite) a Don't Starve run of New Vegas in Hardcore mode without eating, drinking or sleeping. He's currently doing a run of Fallout 4 in the Survival difficulty without using any guns, and he just started a run of New Vegas with the JSawyer difficulty mod. I can't imagine the amount of research he went through to pull some of that poo poo off.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Hey, I wanted to show a friend your Disaster: Day of Crisis LP, but it seems to not be archived, and dragging up the old thread via masterlist gives me a pile of dead links. Your youtube channel doesn't have it either. What's up with that?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
limited edition LPs.

Anad
Apr 27, 2016
I'll try to be as concise as I possibly can about this.

I used to lurk the LP forums, without an account, quite frequently a few years ago but, rather abruptly, stopped until recently. Now, humouring the thought that I may actual try and make an LP thread, created an account and was quite surprised by how much things have changed: slowbeef was no longer a mod; different threads had been stickied to the top of the sub-forum; and that was about it really.

What I'm asking for with this post is if people could recommend me to some good, modern LPs: the kind that have come out rather recently that you feel reflect the current standards expected of a new LP. Many (nearly all) of the LPs recommend in the OP I had either seen or was at least passingly familiar with so I don't need a list of the all time greats. Also, don't worry; I'm in no rush to create an LP thread.

I ask this primarily out of caution; I know people who barge into a forum without first familiarising themselves to its custom are very unappreciated here and I don't want to annoy anyone by abruptly creating a thread while blissfully unaware that I was exercising a practice considered obsolete since 2011 (which I may be doing with this post). Also, as I said, I've been away awhile and I'm just curious as to what threads I've missed.

So there you have it: assimilate me.

Edit: Blip.tv apparently isn't a thing anymore; learning new things already.

Anad fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 27, 2016

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Anad posted:

I'll try to be as concise as I possibly can about this.

I used to lurk the LP forums, without an account, quite frequently a few years ago but, rather abruptly, stopped until recently. Now, humouring the thought that I may actual try and make an LP thread, created an account and was quite surprised by how much things have changed: slowbeef was no longer a mod; different threads had been stickied to the top of the sub-forum; and that was about it really.

What I'm asking for with this post is if people could recommend me to some good, modern LPs: the kind that have come out rather recently that you feel reflect the current standards expected of a new LP. Many (nearly all) of the LPs recommend in the OP I had either seen or was at least passingly familiar with so I don't need a list of the all time greats. Also, don't worry; I'm in no rush to create an LP thread.

I ask this primarily out of caution; I know people who barge into a forum without first familiarising themselves to its custom are very unappreciated here and I don't want to annoy anyone by abruptly creating a thread while blissfully unaware that I was exercising a practice considered obsolete since 2011 (which I may be doing with this post). Also, as I said, I've been away awhile and I'm just curious as to what threads I've missed.

So there you have it: assimilate me.

Edit: Blip.tv apparently isn't a thing anymore; learning new things already.

the men drinking coffee's LP of Raven's Cry is probably one of the outright funniest lps done on SA. its a group lp of a super loving broken game and the hosts are pretty charismatic and have a really good dynamic going on.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
The big question is: VLP or SSLP?

Anad
Apr 27, 2016

FutureFriend posted:

the men drinking coffee's LP of Raven's Cry is probably one of the outright funniest lps done on SA. its a group lp of a super loving broken game and the hosts are pretty charismatic and have a really good dynamic going on.
Good. I had never heard of that one.

Lacedaemonius posted:

VLPs, preferably: SSLPs are usually only appealing if they're bona fide hilarious.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Streaming's really taken off now. There's also no more three-month rule (since that line was getting blurry anyway with stuff like Early Access) or Pokemon ban (since who cares). We can embed webm's now, though that doesn't really affect too much. Thanks to stuff like GIFCam, there's a lot more GIFs and animations in general in SSLPs.

There's definitely more tools available to make creating a high-quality LP easier, but at the same time the community's become more lax here as well. Not to say the general quality of the LPs here have fallen, it's just now people are more forgiving if your LP has a few minor flaws here and there (being entertaining helps, of course).

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
A lot of people really switched to streaming, whether once a week or every night. It's pretty lucrative compared to LPs too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lacedaemonius posted:

Build it and they will come.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Edutainment is starting to gain some serious traction too, though it's obviously a lot more effort. Check out Assassin's Creed 1 & 2 by Geop, either of the Endless Ocean LPs by Zorak (can't find them in the LP archive and don't have plat to search the forums), or Bioshock Infinite by Bobbin Threadbare.

For contrast, Assassin's Creed II by RChimpCola shows that you don't need fancy draws like history segments or 100% runs or super game knowledge if you're just funny as all hell. Those guys had me consistently laughing so hard the back of my head would start hurting.

The real thing with making an LP here nowadays is honestly just knowing what not to do, though. Or rather, what will limit your audience, because nothing will shut you off entirely. Some people will see a facecam and immediately turn off the video; some won't care. Some people will hear a racist/sexist joke and immediately turn off a video; some will laugh and keep watching. There's a whole host of things that various people consider no-nos, and I probably couldn't name them all if I tried, but I'd say the best rule of thumb is "would I be ashamed to show this to some random on the street that I'll never meet again". If that's a yes, maybe tweak a thing, otherwise go nuts and have fun. After all, the biggest problem people will get up in arms about is if you sound like you're bored out of your skull while playing a video game. Games are supposed to be fun, and LPing should be fun too. Otherwise, why do it? :)

Oh, and for video hosts, basically everyone's doing YouTube now. It's won't disappear, or murder all your videos for being game footage (most other sites have done one or the other over the years), and the quality's actually gotten pretty good if you upload in 720p or better.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Felinoid posted:

Edutainment is starting to gain some serious traction too, though it's obviously a lot more effort. Check out Assassin's Creed 1 & 2 by Geop, either of the Endless Ocean LPs by Zorak (can't find them in the LP archive and don't have plat to search the forums), or Bioshock Infinite by Bobbin Threadbare.

For contrast, Assassin's Creed II by RChimpCola shows that you don't need fancy draws like history segments or 100% runs or super game knowledge if you're just funny as all hell. Those guys had me consistently laughing so hard the back of my head would start hurting.

The real thing with making an LP here nowadays is honestly just knowing what not to do, though. Or rather, what will limit your audience, because nothing will shut you off entirely. Some people will see a facecam and immediately turn off the video; some won't care. Some people will hear a racist/sexist joke and immediately turn off a video; some will laugh and keep watching. There's a whole host of things that various people consider no-nos, and I probably couldn't name them all if I tried, but I'd say the best rule of thumb is "would I be ashamed to show this to some random on the street that I'll never meet again". If that's a yes, maybe tweak a thing, otherwise go nuts and have fun. After all, the biggest problem people will get up in arms about is if you sound like you're bored out of your skull while playing a video game. Games are supposed to be fun, and LPing should be fun too. Otherwise, why do it? :)

Oh, and for video hosts, basically everyone's doing YouTube now. It's won't disappear, or murder all your videos for being game footage (most other sites have done one or the other over the years), and the quality's actually gotten pretty good if you upload in 720p or better.

The bold part is not entirely true. Sometimes the reason is "We play this so you don't have to", or the LPer's pain is the entire reason why the LP stays alive. I know from experience. A painful experience that just keeps dragging on and on and on and on...

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Alexeythegreat posted:

The bold part is not entirely true. Sometimes the reason is "We play this so you don't have to", or the LPer's pain is the entire reason why the LP stays alive. I know from experience. A painful experience that just keeps dragging on and on and on and on...

That's true, a really bad game can have some serious schadenfreude value. Anger at a bad game, or audible exasperation at a tedious one, or people that get more and more run down as a game drags on all have their merits. I still feel it fair to say that someone who sounds bored as hell throughout usually ends up boring the viewers too though, unless the game itself is interesting enough to hold focus (and even then they're not doing it any favors).

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

oldskool posted:

Many A True Nerd did runs of Fallout 3 and of New Vegas where he killed everything he came across, runs where he refused to kill anything, runs where he refused to heal through the entire game + DLCs to see if it was doable on one life bar, & (my personal favorite) a Don't Starve run of New Vegas in Hardcore mode without eating, drinking or sleeping. He's currently doing a run of Fallout 4 in the Survival difficulty without using any guns, and he just started a run of New Vegas with the JSawyer difficulty mod. I can't imagine the amount of research he went through to pull some of that poo poo off.

Wasn't exactly what I was looking for but I like this guy nonetheless, so thanks for the recommendation!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

oldskool posted:

Gave this guy a look and he's pretty neat! :v: The Hitman videos are very nice (working through Blood Money right now). He's big on editing out lots of stuff, but I really don't mind that since Hitman and Fallout games are ones which most folks already kinda know the fluff involved :staredog:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Verranicus posted:

If you don't mind SSLP's, Orange Fluffy Sheep's LPs usually involve breaking RPGs in half in a myriad of wonderful ways and showing off how he does it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What are some good LPs for Pokemon Black/White and Black2/White2? I'm curious how they turned out since it's the only gen I skipped but can't back to playing them after being used to gen 6.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeANMcBAY posted:

What are some good LPs for Pokemon Black/White and Black2/White2? I'm curious how they turned out since it's the only gen I skipped but can't back to playing them after being used to gen 6.

Best Pokemon Let's Plays... Period.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504666

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3583102

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Unfortunately, the Black 2 LP was pretty much abandoned, though it did get pretty far into the game.

There is another one on here, but it's a randomizer run, so probably not what you're looking for.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm trying to watch Odin Sphere on the Internet Archive and the videos kinda stop in the middle and the reset to the beginning. Any idea why, or where can I find the LP otherwise?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm trying to watch Odin Sphere on the Internet Archive and the videos kinda stop in the middle and the reset to the beginning. Any idea why, or where can I find the LP otherwise?

They're on his Youtube channel, just scroll down until you find the playlists for each chapter.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
I'll throw in another recommendation for SGF's The Witness, but for different non-puzzleloving reasons: it's just an incredibly comfortable and lowkey LP. I fall asleep to it and LPs like it (particularly CannibalK9's The Void or The Talos Principle) very often. Which isn't to say they're bad players playing bad games. They're great players with comfy voices playing really well thought-out and comfy games.

That said, I'd like to request a recommendation for a good horror VLP that isn't from your typical franchise - less Silent Hill, more Rule of Rose. Anybody doing stuff like that nowadays?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

MNSNTZR posted:

I'll throw in another recommendation for SGF's The Witness, but for different non-puzzleloving reasons: it's just an incredibly comfortable and lowkey LP. I fall asleep to it and LPs like it (particularly CannibalK9's The Void or The Talos Principle) very often. Which isn't to say they're bad players playing bad games. They're great players with comfy voices playing really well thought-out and comfy games.

That said, I'd like to request a recommendation for a good horror VLP that isn't from your typical franchise - less Silent Hill, more Rule of Rose. Anybody doing stuff like that nowadays?

I assume you've already seen all of Nigguraths lp's?

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

MNSNTZR posted:

Maybe give Blackout a shot: http://lparchive.org/Blackout/

Clay animated Scandinavian surreal horror noir adventure game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm extremely late tot he party but Sundowner's Alien Marines LP is really loving good, he let's the games terribleness speak for itself at the beginning, and his accent is like butter to American Ears. Which feels weird to say, but it is what it is.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
are there anymore ongoing dwarf fortress lps?

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
I haven't been following the subforum for the past few months or maybe even a year or so, so I have two questions.

1. Any good recent adventure game VLPs in the vein of Bacter's Colonel's Bequest or Discworld Noir? Well-written games with an interesting plotline (and not too much action filler) that aren't necessarily adventure games work as well. P.S. I am aware of Bacter's Oxenfree LP but it just doesn't do it for me.

2. Any good recent dungeon crawler LPs that I missed? I mean stuff like Wizardry, The Dark Spire, Dungeon Master, etc. (the more obscure the better). Screenshot or video.

CrookedB fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 10, 2016

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

CrookedB posted:

2. Any good recent dungeon crawler LPs that I missed? I mean stuff like Wizardry, The Dark Spire, Dungeon Master, etc. (the more obscure the better). Screenshot or video.
Highwang did Legend of Grimrock 2 with a single character. Legend of Grimrock 2 does not have a mode designed for a single character, and there is plenty of editing to remove everything between the first and last hit of particularly dull and unnecessary fights.

Spinning off from that, Thornbrain did Legend of Grimrock 2 with characters inspired by his co-commentators. The character portraits are amazing.

Highwang went back and did Legend of Grimrock 1 with a single character. It has a mode designed to let you play a single character, so it was less painful than the sequel.

They're all VLPs.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

CrookedB posted:

1. Any good recent adventure game VLPs in the vein of Bacter's Colonel's Bequest or Discworld Noir? Well-written games with an interesting plotline (and not too much action filler) that aren't necessarily adventure games work as well. P.S. I am aware of Bacter's Oxenfree LP but it just doesn't do it for me.

It's probably stretching the definition, but Bobbin Threadbare's L.A. Noire might fit the bill. It's a VLP with extra segments about noir movies.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If anyone stumbles across a good Ratchet and Clank (2016) LP please let me know. Thank you.

My laptop does not load twitch streams fast enough to actually watch them so that's kind of a bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Give it a month or so for resident Ratchet LPer kalonZombie to give a crack at it, as he's done literally every other game in the series.

The only thing that jumps to mind was Chip doing a stream of it when it came out, so you can watch it on his youtube channel here.