Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe in s&m you go back to pokefrance like how kanto was the post game of gen 2, and that's where they planned for the zygarde stuff to be all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Cuckoo posted:

Speaking of grass, I'm doing a mono-grass restart of X to kill time since I can't game on my PC for a week. Holy poo poo it's so much better than ORAS

How someone gets to hold such mad opinions I don't even know. Kalos is a super boring region, even worse than Unova. Hoenn has loads of exploration you can do, Kalos is like a set of railroad tracks.

The postgame bit with Looker is really good in XY though

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Hoenn is the worst region in the series from a gameplay perspective. Visually it does look nice and diverse but it doesn't have much merit beyond that. The Pokémon distribution is also terrible which is extra tragic because of how great a lot of the gen III designs are but you'll mostly see just a few of them.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Hammerite posted:

How someone gets to hold such mad opinions I don't even know. Kalos is a super boring region, even worse than Unova. Hoenn has loads of exploration you can do, Kalos is like a set of railroad tracks.

Except for the fact that on the railroads you don't really need to use HMs like Cut or Surf but if you do there is quite a lot to explore.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kalos has a lot of pokemon but other than that it's a big long streak of half-assed nothing.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Kalos looks really pretty, and I like the idea of having a lot of options to play around with. Really, I don't have TOO many gripes with XY. Team Flare, of course, are really bland villains, but then you could say "Well in Z, they could've been improved to be a better threat, as what happened with Galactic".
It's sort of lame in that case, because the scientist ladies have very little personality or development, so maybe they would have more in Z.

The other hand is that, while Hoenn is my 2nd favorite region in the series... I feel people knock on ORAS BECAUSE it's like playing RS again, and those people probably didn't like RS back then, so they probably wouldn't like it now. I do like how DexNav is a thing, and having new options by the 7th badge is cool (AND they justified how mega stones are even in Hoenn in the first place in a neat way), but by the end of the day... Some people aren't into RS. So ORAS probably isn't gonna be A Thing they like.

Long story short is Gen 6 has some Good Games, and not having a Z means that for the people who usually wait for the third game, are kind of screwed over.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Guarantee you Z wouldn't have fixed walking around Lumiose.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zore posted:

There's just a lot of weird areas that never get used. Like the four distinct parts of the power plant that never open etc.

Also Zygarde got like 4 other revealed formes that have yet to appear in a game and seemed primed for a Z version since he's just sort of there in X/Y like Kyurem was in B/W or Rayquaza was in R/S.

There's also AZ and his special Floette. His plotline didn't really have any importance or go anywhere.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

How do you get Pokemon to evolve in go?
You collect x amount of a Pokemon either by capture or evolution. Some take more than others. For example, you only have to evolve four Caterpie for a Metapod but you need 100 goddamned Magikarp for a Gyarados. Each time you capture or evolve one, you fill up an 'evolution shard' for that particular Pokemon kind. Once it's full, you click on whichever version of that Pokemon in your inventory that you want to evolve (so it's a good idea to evolve the most powerful version).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dexie posted:

There's also AZ and his special Floette. His plotline didn't really have any importance or go anywhere.

That special Floette has an in game model so it's pretty obvious it was meant to be catchable at one point.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

LightningKimba posted:

Kalos looks really pretty, and I like the idea of having a lot of options to play around with. Really, I don't have TOO many gripes with XY. Team Flare, of course, are really bland villains, but then you could say "Well in Z, they could've been improved to be a better threat, as what happened with Galactic".
It's sort of lame in that case, because the scientist ladies have very little personality or development, so maybe they would have more in Z.

The other hand is that, while Hoenn is my 2nd favorite region in the series... I feel people knock on ORAS BECAUSE it's like playing RS again, and those people probably didn't like RS back then, so they probably wouldn't like it now. I do like how DexNav is a thing, and having new options by the 7th badge is cool (AND they justified how mega stones are even in Hoenn in the first place in a neat way), but by the end of the day... Some people aren't into RS. So ORAS probably isn't gonna be A Thing they like.

Long story short is Gen 6 has some Good Games, and not having a Z means that for the people who usually wait for the third game, are kind of screwed over.

I was recommended Omega Ruby earlier in this thread, and while I love the region and really enjoyed the story I agree that the pokemon availability was kinda lacking. I was looking forward to Z so I could experience Kalos but now that Sun and Moon are in the works I really feel no reason to spend money on Gen 6 anymore.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That special Floette has an in game model so it's pretty obvious it was meant to be catchable at one point.

It even has its very own signature move.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Roger Explosion posted:

You collect x amount of a Pokemon either by capture or evolution. Some take more than others. For example, you only have to evolve four Caterpie for a Metapod but you need 100 goddamned Magikarp for a Gyarados. Each time you capture or evolve one, you fill up an 'evolution shard' for that particular Pokemon kind. Once it's full, you click on whichever version of that Pokemon in your inventory that you want to evolve (so it's a good idea to evolve the most powerful version).

That sounds kinda dumb and boring. I mean, I don't know what I expected from a mobile game though.

I guess they're strategically making the pokemon phone game bad for some reason?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I was recommended Omega Ruby earlier in this thread, and while I love the region and really enjoyed the story I agree that the pokemon availability was kinda lacking. I was looking forward to Z so I could experience Kalos but now that Sun and Moon are in the works I really feel no reason to spend money on Gen 6 anymore.

You kind of missed out on actual gen VI then, since ORAS were gen III remakes with admittedly some gen VI stuff mixed in like new Mega Evos. But XY were the core of gen VI and also better games.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm gonna be real miffed if I can't get Zydog and Zygundam in Sun and Moon.

I'm going to be miffed if Zydog isn't competitively useful. And they just expect you to only use it long enough to get something better.

Cause he's adorable.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The Zygarde in XY is 50%, the dog stage is 10%. So it'll be about one fifth as strong as regular Zygarde.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Wait what. The idiot hexagon snake has different forms??

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

zygarde is cool, check yourself

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

less laughter posted:

The Zygarde in XY is 50%, the dog stage is 10%. So it'll be about one fifth as strong as regular Zygarde.

They could pull a Deoxys and just move his stats around. But I know you're right and that saddens me.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Why doesn't anyone talk about the important features that are mandatory for next gen or I"m out, like returning Chatter's recording functionality

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
possibly because they're gonna buy it anyway, and both they and everyone else knows it

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Why doesn't anyone talk about the important features that are mandatory for next gen or I"m out, like returning Chatter's recording functionality

I almost forgot this was a thing. I can imagine the planning meetings for this one... "Well, this new DS thing has a microphone, so let's make a move that lets you play back your voice!"

At least now the move has a 100% chance to confuse.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

oddium posted:

zygarde is cool, check yourself

Zygarde is awesome....all the other forms are dumb as hell. The dog would be cool if it wasn't part of the hosed up chain, and the final form is just really bad looking. It looks like some reject power ranger villain.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't really get why you'd be excited to use a form that is just plain worse than what we already have. In fact, I'm not sure why they bothered with the four forms to begin with.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Momomo posted:

I don't really get why you'd be excited to use a form that is just plain worse than what we already have.

Because it looks amazing and adorable.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Hammerite posted:

To each their own? V:v:V I liked Kalos and loved Unova, but felt meh about Hoenn (in the original RS and now) and my least favorite by far is Sinnoh. Which sucks, Pokemon Hokkaido should have been way more interesting.

All Pokemon games feel pretty on-rails except maybe for the original Kanto.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
They don't seem to like monkeying with stats, it was only this generation where anyone got a boost that wasn't because on a new evolution. That being said I love the hexagonal flatworm look of Zygarde. It just looks so alien and is probably my favorite legendary from that standpoint. It's just a shame that it's not particularly good competitively.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

less laughter posted:

Because it looks amazing and adorable.

This is true, I do dig dogarde's design even if it's a really bizarre take on the original. This gen was really weird since they have what, six things we can't ever obtain in any way? Four Zygarde forms, the Floette, and that weird Ash Greninja form they went with. I figured having pokemon you can't catch would be a huge nono as far as advertising was concerned.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ash Greninja is likely a preview of what's to come in gen VII; a Pokémon Burst Heart-esque symbol (i.e. trainer/Pokémon fusion) that looks like a Plumbob from The Sims is even featured in the Japanese Pokémon Sun and Moon logos. Just like how the Mega Evo symbol was in the XY logos.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

All of Zygarde's forms are cool.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

less laughter posted:

Ash Greninja is likely a preview of what's to come in gen VII; a Pokémon Burst Heart-esque symbol (i.e. trainer/Pokémon fusion) that looks like a Plumbob from The Sims is even featured in the Japanese Pokémon Sun and Moon logos. Just like how the Mega Evo symbol was in the XY logos.

Imagine if Gen VII had something like the Gen VI Underground... but it was a Mystery Dungeon instead.

Also if we get appearance changing trainer fusions, I guess it's a no-go for more trainer customisation :sigh:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

less laughter posted:

From what I heard about Pokemon Burst, this is in no way a good thing...

I feel like the human and the pokemon should always be kept separate. The human doesn't do poo poo and the Pokemon is the one risking its life, anything else is just weird.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

less laughter posted:

Pokemon and people fusion like that stupid manga aren't happening. It's stupid and you all know it

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Kikas posted:

Also if we get appearance changing trainer fusions, I guess it's a no-go for more trainer customisation :sigh:

gently caress this concept in advance, then. :( trainer customization was one of the coolest parts of XY.

Also when a legit game/manga concept looks like it drew its inspiration from the bowels of Deviantart...

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Spintzel posted:

Pokemon and people fusion like that stupid manga aren't happening. It's stupid and you all know it

"Hahah what, Mega Evolution, just like Digimon? No way man that ain't happenin hahaha"

I'm not laughing at you, I just mean that dumber concepts have made it into the game.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Kikas posted:

"Hahah what, Mega Evolution, just like Digimon? No way man that ain't happenin hahaha"

I'm not laughing at you, I just mean that dumber concepts have made it into the game.

I'd say burst evolution is dumber than mega evolution :colbert:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
They're both pretty lame until one of them works on snorlax, in which case that one becomes cool.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Yeah, it's pretty dumb that it takes a chosen trainer with a special bond or whatever and a super rare artifact for Pinsir to remember it has wings.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

spirit fusion ruled in megaman battle network and guess what. yeah. it's cool here too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Roger Explosion posted:

That sounds pretty cool. I hope they release the game during the summer, so I can do a lot of biking around town.

• Locked thread