Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stevewm
May 10, 2005
A ticket didn't come in.....

One of our branch locations lost their fiber line this morning. The ISP has been trying since 9:30 this morning to find the break. Good thing we have 4G backup internet, but have no phone service.

Edit: And they fixed it! yay... They ended up having to run a entirely new line.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Speaking of switch vs router, when I worked for Belkin Tech Support in Aus, I routinely had people call in telling me that their switch wasn't giving out IP addresses.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

stevewm posted:

A ticket didn't come in.....

One of our branch locations lost their fiber line this morning. The ISP has been trying since 9:30 this morning to find the break. Good thing we have 4G backup internet, but have no phone service.

Edit: And they fixed it! yay... They ended up having to run a entirely new line.

I like how a new line can be run in an afternoon but damned if it doesn't take 2-4 months to get new fiber service at a location.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sheep posted:

I like how a new line can be run in an afternoon but damned if it doesn't take 2-4 months to get new fiber service at a location.

Well to be fair running a new line is really easy. Just shoot another fiber through the already (approved, permitted, right-of-way'd, buried, etc...) installed conduit.
Repairing the conduit is easy too provided you don't have to stop traffic to do so. That's what the right of way/easement is for.

New service requires a whole goddamn soup-to-nuts, starting with site survey, and ending with you pulling your hair out trying to get that fiber lit.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Ugh, I'm hosed.

Long story short, a while back I contacted the company that handles our security cameras to see about getting some fixed that were down. They quoted an exorbitant amount of like $13k to fix 8 cameras (five of them just need to be hooked back up where they were disconnected), and then charged me an extra several hundred for half an hour of work troubleshooting an issue with the DVR.

The director of the school would never give me a definite yes or no on whether to proceed with the repair and the whole project has been sitting in limbo waiting for him to be available for a walk-around to audit the security system.

Today we audited the system and he publicly shamed me in front of my coworkers for not proceeding. He asked why I hadn't had a technician come look at the cameras and I explained that I had never actually talked to a technician and any correspondence between had just gone through our rep. I mentioned I wasn't a fan of the company in the first place because I had had several messages that were never responded to by sales reps. The director told me if I wasn't getting what I wanted to always go straight to the top. One of the administrators mentioned he had the CEO's number and we could call him later.

I get back from lunch to a bunch of missed calls from the company. Apparently the administrator went ahead and sent an email to the CEO saying that we weren't being served by our rep and my repeated calls were going ignored. So the CEO personally confronted the poor rep and she accidentally sent me her reply to him, which included the lines "It's absolutely untrue and he is lying" and "It looks like [larchesdanrew] is in trouble for not doing his job."

This was followed by 18 email recall requests, which don't work.

So, now I've got this entire company that manages our technology pissed at me over a misinformed email from someone in no way associated with my department.

I'm just so tired, guys.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kind of easy to cover your rear end if you have a bunch of Sent Items that obviously weren't replied to.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

So, now I've got this entire company that manages our technology pissed at me over a misinformed email from someone in no way associated with my department.

I'm just so tired, guys.

I don't understand your new position at all. It sounds like some outsourced MSP does like 90% of everything relating to IT there and they pay you to work with them and manage some flunky help desk guy? Arent you supposed to be a director or manager or something? If they're giving you no influence on decision making you need to have a serious talk with your bosses. Although you live in the bumfuck south so maybe that wouldnt be a good idea.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I don't understand your new position at all. It sounds like some outsourced MSP does like 90% of everything relating to IT there and they pay you to work with them and manage some flunky help desk guy?

This is my entire job in a nutshell. My title is "Technology Coordinator," so my entire job is just to facilitate technology happening. Most of the heavy lifting is done by either MSPs or vendors, and my job is to schedule and budget it all and report everything to the director.

But you're right, I have little autonomy. The director is the biggest micromanager that has ever existed. He has to have his fingers in every single pie. Nothing gets decided without his say-so. It's so very obnoxious and soul-draining. At this point I'm nearly ready to go back to the television station.

I'm just burned out.

Seriously E/N, but whatever: I've been battling waves of depression and anxiety ever since starting this job. Or maybe it was the divorce or being a single father or ending things with weather girl. Maybe it's the fact that I'm stuck here for the next 18 years at least. Maybe it's that I'm broke, or lonely, or bored, or whatever it is, I'm in a pretty bad place, so sorry for not being around with more entertaining stories. I'm trying to pull it all together :unsmith:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Seriously E/N, but whatever
I know it's massively easier said than done, but you really have to get get the hell out of MS. Just to anywhere that's got a more vibrant job market.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Aunt Beth posted:

I know it's massively easier said than done, but you really have to get get the hell out of MS. Just to anywhere that's got a more vibrant job market.

I want to. God, I want to. But the divorce dictates that I live within 50 miles of my children to maintain custody. I have to relinquish full custody to their mother if I want to leave.

I'm not abandoning my children.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

This is my entire job in a nutshell. My title is "Technology Coordinator," so my entire job is just to facilitate technology happening. Most of the heavy lifting is done by either MSPs or vendors, and my job is to schedule and budget it all and report everything to the director.

But you're right, I have little autonomy. The director is the biggest micromanager that has ever existed. He has to have his fingers in every single pie. Nothing gets decided without his say-so. It's so very obnoxious and soul-draining. At this point I'm nearly ready to go back to the television station.

I'm just burned out.

Seriously E/N, but whatever: I've been battling waves of depression and anxiety ever since starting this job. Or maybe it was the divorce or being a single father or ending things with weather girl. Maybe it's the fact that I'm stuck here for the next 18 years at least. Maybe it's that I'm broke, or lonely, or bored, or whatever it is, I'm in a pretty bad place, so sorry for not being around with more entertaining stories. I'm trying to pull it all together :unsmith:

If you're burned out on this job already you should find somewhere else.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm just burned out.

Why are you stuck there for 18 years? Kids can change schools, and it sounds like yours are young enough not to really have friends anyway.

Judgments can be changed, especially if you can prove that moving(and taking the kids with you) will give those kids a better life.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Why are you stuck there for 18 years? Kids can change schools, and it sounds like yours are young enough not to really have friends anyway.

Judgments can be changed, especially if you can prove that moving(and taking the kids with you) will give those kids a better life.

He's recently divorced and he has to live near the mother if he wants to have shared custody of the kids. He can't just move and take the kids with him.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

RFC2324 posted:

larchesdanrew posted:

I want to. God, I want to. But the divorce dictates that I live within 50 miles of my children to maintain custody. I have to relinquish full custody to their mother if I want to leave.

I'm not abandoning my children.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FireSight posted:

He's recently divorced and he has to live near the mother if he wants to have shared custody of the kids. He can't just move and take the kids with him.

As I said, judgments can be changed. He goes before a judge with a valid reason why it should be, and a decent lawyer, and he can probably change that.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
Larches, look into jobs that let you telecommute. More than a few places will let you get away with working via VPN hundreds of miles away from the office if you wow them sufficiently.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sheep posted:

This will be that locations 3rd new line..

The first line they dropped from the pole over to our conduit, but left it laying in the ditch coiled up. They where supposed to come back and bury it, but never did. We found this out about a month later when one of our staff was mowing and mowed right over it.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

New service requires a whole goddamn soup-to-nuts, starting with site survey, and ending with you pulling your hair out trying to get that fiber lit.

I've had it go both ways - Charter of all companies managed to get us new service in a location (which necessitated getting permitting and shutting down multiple lanes of traffic downtown for construction) in under a month, whereas Time Warner Telecom once took two months to do a 40 foot demarc extension on existing fiber service for us.

I'm on my eighth new fiber install over the past 12 months and it really just seems to boil down to whether the project manager/coordinator/whatever is useless or not.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Seriously E/N, but whatever:

Please don't hesitate to E/N.

I'd rather listen to someone complain about their life, blow off some steam, maybe get some ideas on how to get through things, than to have an abrupt stop to all the posts, and then like a month later I internet detective things out and find out you jumped off of a bridge.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'd rather listen to someone complain about their life, blow off some steam, maybe get some ideas on how to get through things, than to have an abrupt stop to all the posts, and then like a month later I internet detective things out and find out you jumped off of a bridge.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A co-worker was on a conference call trying to educate a customer, that no we can't differentiate between a legitimate wireless client (they don't keep a client whitelist) sending incorrect EAP authentication packets and a legit dictionary attack. All we can do is err to the side of security and flag it as a dict attack requiring investigation and intervention/remediation. The chief rear end in a top hat, who is in fact a HUGE pain in the rear end, was getting upset that we couldn't tell the difference. Whatever, not the point other than to point out he's a moron. If you don't keep a whitelist of valid clients, you can't tell if it's an attack or not just from EAP failures.

After the call, a follow up email was sent by one of the customer company's people on the call. And they included Chief rear end in a top hat in the list. How do we know? Because apparently everyone at the customer's feels the same way as we do seeing as how one of the email addresses was literally "Huge rear end in a top hat <real-email@address.here>". I'm guessing she had him listed as "Huge rear end in a top hat" in her phone and sent a reply email from the phone. Oops.

Bonus fun: My co-worker sent her a message saying she may want to check her contacts list. So she re-sends it out. To the same people. Without changing his entry.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

100% this, but that being said, he did say he wasn't gonna abandon his kids.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh, she was Latin AND a weather girl?

It's like the nerd of the school dating the head cheerleader!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Raerlynn posted:

Larches, look into jobs that let you telecommute. More than a few places will let you get away with working via VPN hundreds of miles away from the office if you wow them sufficiently.

Also you would probably make enough money to build a mansion in Bumfuck, Mississippi.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

E/N all you want man, better to vent and discuss things with people than to simmer until something bad happens.

You've had a rough period and some reaction is to be expected, really. So don't beat yourself up over it.

It gets better! :unsmith:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Raerlynn posted:

https://remoteok.io/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pixaal posted:

Our contract is up on our VOIP system, and C-levels want to shop around. They are currently wowed by ShoreTel cloud solution. The features seem pretty great and everything just upgrades without me having to touch anything. Anyone have any experience?

I want to like it, it seems way better on paper than what we have, but what doesn't when sales is telling you everything it can do. Features we most want CRM: Integration, soft phone for building be closed / DR, redundancy for if ISP goes out. (lovely street with single line in, both ISPs in the area use the same line one leases from the other for the road). Everything falling back to cellphone usage if it can't reach our phones just sounds great, and impossible with on site stuff.

Give 3CX a look, we use it at work and it's been great.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thank you. They didn't have anything, but several jobs I looked at that had expired were on weworkremotely.com. I found a really awesome one to apply to. I'm just working on starting to implement JUnit for a project I have.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've complained about this on IRC enough.

I don't drink but this client is going to drive me to it.

Mid-April comes around and it's time to do maintenance for our client. (Patches\reboot basically)

I do this after hours so 9:00pm rolls around and I start looking into the servers. Nothing is reaching Windows Update. :confused:

I do some quick troubleshooting and find the registry key for updating pointing to a "local" server which is an SCCM server that has the role but nothing else set up.

Shoot e-mail off to team lead and go to bed. Monday rolls around and client is mad we didn't patch.

We tell him about the change and receive the response "Why didn't you tell us earlier?" :sigh:

We hand that bullshit off to higher ups but continue working on other stuff. We ask him about adding the SCCM server to our monitoring software.

:v: It's a development machine

:negative:

I really want to tell him his development network spilled over into his precious production network and he needs to fix his poo poo but I know we'll just end up blowing it off. They constantly make changes to the network and don't tell us. They've uninstalled our monitoring software without telling us. The list goes on and on. The worst part is, they're financially our best client so we can't dump them yet.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Yesterday, our CFO demanded one of the company's PhotoShop licenses for use on her laptop.
Today: "Does anyone know how to use PhotoShop?"

Apparently it's not for anything work-related, so marketing's graphic designer won't help her. Therefore: time to visit IT and Support!

WTF

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Yesterday, our CFO demanded one of the company's PhotoShop licenses for use on her laptop.
Today: "Does anyone know how to use PhotoShop?"

Apparently it's not for anything work-related, so marketing's graphic designer won't help her. Therefore: time to visit IT and Support!

WTF

"Thanks for contacting IT Support, to better assist you with this request please contact the graphic designer in the Marketing department as he/she is our foremost subject matter expert on Photoshop"

Time to play hot potato with the C-level executive.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'd be tempted to play dumb and ask questions about the exact error that's occurring, ask for screenshots etc.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Do you know anything about photoshop? Even if you do, if they don't know that you know how to use it do a google search for some youtube channel or site with videos that looks pretty good and give that to them. I'd go with, "I've only installed photoshop I've never used it you'll have to ask our graphics department for first hand experience. I did do a bit of research and believe this to be a great resource for learning."

If they insist you watch the videos yourself say it's not sticking and you feel you cannot teach him unless you take a few classes in graphic design and get some free classes if they keep going down the road of stupidity.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

"No, sorry my expertise is in IT and not graphic design".

"Thank you, drive through."

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

hazzlebarth posted:

Let me guess: It was the shortcut to a program already installed, user just didn't look at the start menu?

A URL, actually. Which I had also sent to her. "I have to keep finding your email to click the link you sent! Put it on my desktop!"

Maybe if you didn't have 50 word documents on your desktop you'd notice the shortcut I added there the first time you asked. Or maybe you could just make the shortcut yourself. Or maybe just add it to your favorites in IE.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

wa27 posted:

A URL, actually. Which I had also sent to her. "I have to keep finding your email to click the link you sent! Put it on my desktop!"

Maybe if you didn't have 50 word documents on your desktop you'd notice the shortcut I added there the first time you asked. Or maybe you could just make the shortcut yourself. Or maybe just add it to your favorites in IE.

Checks favorite list, 500000 favorited items in the favorites bar.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

wa27 posted:

Just change the IE homepage to it. Problem solved.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Alighieri posted:

Where's my aol homepage? What did you do to it?!?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Asmodai_00 posted:

Where's my aol homepage? What did you do to it?!?

who took away my facebook, you can't block facebook here, this is affecting production!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Alighieri posted:

[CRITICAL] THE INTERNET IS DOWN

• Locked thread