Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Bobo the Red posted:

They could easily be plunging Dorne into the dumbest civil war ever.

Yes. Get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

My uncle works at HBO and knows this . Episode 5 Jon revives and try to get Dorne Support agaisnt the Bolton , at the end of the episode it is revealed taht Peter finger id the uncle of theon

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Bobo the Red posted:

They all ignore the fact that Oberyn got his own dumbass killed. So they come up with a half assed plan to kill Myrcella. They fail. For whatever reason, they are allowed to be near the girl they tried to kill again, so they succeed this time.
I don't think they're ignoring it, I think they believe that the blame rests with Doran. Justice for his sister was Doran's duty and Oberyn got killed because it wasn't done, or seemingly even sought, by Doran.

The fact that Doran then allows them "to be near the girl they tried to kill again" and they succeed is like a small-scale outcome of the Westeros politics - being soft or perceived as soft on people/other nations gets you/your country killed in the long run because people don't necessarily see things the way you do and will take advantage or become contemptuous of your authority.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vegetable posted:

Ned's death and the Red Wedding both got about the same amount of foreshadowing.
A difference here is that the people responsible for either were clearly established as being the official authority in the place, either king or local lord, whereas the victims in Dorne were the people supposedly on top. In the case of Ned's death, you first had a buildup where Ned has to compete with the Lannisters for influence, and then him being thrown in a cell and being clearly at their mercy, while with Frey it's Catelyn reminding Rob that Frey is both important and kind of a poo poo. Establishing that Doran doesn't actually have the loyalty of his people, as opposed to having a family argument with his brother's "widow", would go a long way toward making the assassination seem less out of nowhere.

Actually, given where the show ended up, it would have made more sense to have the events of the plot arranged in a different order. Something like:

- Show Ellaria arguing with Doran about the need for revenge, with him assuring her that things are already in motion, making the viewer believe he's planning something immediate rather than some drawn out scheme.
- Cersei sends Jamie to Dorn. Reestablish Doran as a threat through the dialogue.
- Jaime and Bronn arrive in Dorn.
- Jamie and Bronn fight Dornish soldiers, who as established, operate under Doran's orders. Make one of them someone from a lesser Dornish house, and establish that the lesser houses want some kind of revenge too.
- Jamie and Bronn are caught by the Sand Snakes, and held by them for a while, with Ellaria arguing for them being given to Doran for punishment and the kids wanting to kill him right there. They eventually defer to her greater experience and authority.
- Doran releases Jamie right after he explains why he has come. Show a look of disbelief in the eyes of both the Sand Snakes, and the guards.
- Have Doran assassinated, and Jamie, Bronn, Myrcella, and Trystane, attempt to flee Sunspear. Myrcella and Trystane die in the attempt.

meristem posted:

Just think of Ellaria as of fantasy Bush, and it all makes sense.
Except for her letting Jamie get away.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

I just got done watching After the Thrones. Why does this exist? It barely scrapes the surface of discussing basic themes. "Hey, this character is here and doing this." No poo poo, I picked up on that. I'm pretty sure it's designed for the people who can't pay attention and complain that a basic plot point wasn't explained in the scene that it was explained in.

I forgot how much I love Edd. I think it was in Hardhome when he sees all of the corpses coming over the cliff (or is it when they break through the wall?)...he just runs and screams "Ahhhh gently caress."

Has it been discussed if being dead for a longer period of time has greater consequences when you're resurrected? The only time we see this, Beric Dondaerion is revived quickly after the Hound kills him. I'm also curious of Melisandre's necklace can be transferred. Jon Snow would look dashing.

DrKrankenwagen fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 27, 2016

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Reading the whole thing does make you think it'd have been cool as hell to see Areo fight. That giant fuckoff battle axe :black101:

This is my problem. If you can't flesh out a character, then why add them only to have to clumsily sweep them under the rug later? The show subtlety hints at him being a badass, and then dispatches him by having a girl stand on a stack of phonebooks and kill him with an appetizer fork. It's comically bad.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Cersei's gonna find out about that necklace and spend the last of the Lannister family's resources trying to obtain it

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

DrKrankenwagen posted:

I forgot how much I love Edd. I think it was in Hardhome when he sees all of the corpses coming over the cliff...he just runs and screams "Ahhhh gently caress."

Edd is the one person I have no fear for of ever dying, cause the guy living on with his attitude and being the last survivor of the OG crew now is far greater punishment for him prolly lol. Still, love the way the actor portrays him and :laffo:'d hard at: "It's a sad loving statement if Dolorous Edd is our only chance!"

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

CrazyLoon posted:

Edd is the one person I have no fear for of ever dying, cause the guy living on with his attitude and being the last survivor of the OG crew now is far greater punishment for him prolly lol. Still, love the way the actor portrays him and :laffo:'d hard at: "It's a sad loving statement if Dolorous Edd is our only chance!"

He reflects my personality so well. I think he can get poo poo done when it comes to the Lord Commander. We need more Edd scenes: "My blessed mother. I was holding her hand when she left this world - she farted so hard, the whole bed shook."

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
When's Hodor showing up?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

LegalPad posted:

This is my problem. If you can't flesh out a character, then why add them only to have to clumsily sweep them under the rug later?
To have a cool bit character? Having nice cameos and secondary and bit characters is a good thing. Without them, the show would feel empty. I mean, it has already cut whole stables of bit characters in comparison to the books.

Also, it helped deceived book readers into thinking that Doran would be a big thing, and that's always a plus for me.

itshammertime66
Aug 9, 2013
I'm just waiting for Littlefinger to pop up out of the shadows in Dorne and be all like "Yes, you've all played your parts perfectly, my evil plan is falling into place mwahahahaha!!!" :master:

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

But this is exactly why the show should slow down and do things like Aegon's subplot rather than sprinting through all the books just to catch up with GRRM so they can write their own story.

They should not have done that at all.

When you have too many limitations (budget, schedule, etc.) you can end up with badly done poo poo like the Dorne plot on the show.

But when you have no limitations (no deadlines, no editing) you end up with meandering horseshit like the Dorne plot on the books, which is equally bad.

The show is already going to run for 7-8 seasons which is on the long side for serialized drama. There is no way you can have a ten-twelve season long serialized storyline with an extremely high budget. Interest would wane and the whole thing would be untenable (this is without even getting into the fact that a lot of the cast is fairly young). The books are already untenable: it's taking five years to release a single book, for the past decade and a half, and the majority of the new books are dedicated to building up new poo poo. It's insane and bad.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 27, 2016

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I just find the sand snakes to be probably my least liked characters on a show with ramsay bolton. Icing on the cake is that they murdered one of the more level headed rulers on the whole show, which in GoT logic is his own fault because he didn't execute them at the first slight.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Libertine posted:

They landed on a trampoline park, it was pretty fortunate.

The only actual explanation is that there's like 30 foot deep snow drifts at the bottom of the wall and it cushioned their fall but I don't know if that actually makes sense in terms of physics and anatomy.

The best part is they killed the kennel master's daughter by throwing her off the wall... and then escaped by jumping off the exact same wall.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Just look up Russians jumping off buildings into snow.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Different part of the wall, into a large snow bank and not the floor of a yard where it's all been swept away.

Do we need to post the videos again of real men doing the same thing?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Getting shoved off a platform and jumping off the very same platform is also very different, Theon and Sansa were clearly jumping with their legs first and the such, Myranda was shoved so she'd have a significantly harder time absorbing the energy with her legs. And the snow. yeah.

Really it's not a very good thing to complain about, it's not a fantastic sequence by any stretch given that it still makes you go 'huh?' but it's a tiny bit plausible which is more than enough for a TV show.

The teleporting snakes however...

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 27, 2016

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

AMReese posted:

Different part of the wall, into a large snow bank and not the floor of a yard where it's all been swept away.

Do we need to post the videos again of real men doing the same thing?

Some of those guys set themselves on fire first though, and I didn't see Sansa and Theon doing that. So much for your "theory"...

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I have a feeling the only reason that the Dorne subplot exists is so that there will be a major house in Westeros to support Dany once she manages to cross the sea. They've talked about women being fit rulers and would support a queen. They also would have boats to help her get across I presume.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Master Twig posted:

I have a feeling the only reason that the Dorne subplot exists is so that there will be a major house in Westeros to support Dany once she manages to cross the sea. They've talked about women being fit rulers and would support a queen. They also would have boats to help her get across I presume.

They do have a lot in common: they act rashly, they're kinslayers, their plotlines are uninteresting interruptions to the cool poo poo

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Bobo the Red posted:

They do have a lot in common: they act rashly, they're kinslayers, their plotlines are uninteresting interruptions to the cool poo poo

Calling Dany a kinslayer is a bit of a stretch, her oaf of a brother held her at swordpoint and told Drogo he'll cut up the embryo out of her stomach, in Vaes Dothrak of all places. it can be argued that Dany could have possibly pleaded for his life but she didn't kill him herself and Drogo was justified in executing him either way.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Calling Dany a kinslayer is a bit of a stretch, her oaf of a brother held her at swordpoint and told Drogo he'll cut up the embryo out of her stomach, in Vaes Dothrak of all places. it can be argued that Dany could have possibly pleaded for his life but she didn't kill him herself and Drogo was justified in executing him either way.

I guess. She definitely had to the power to spare him, and didn't.

She did also Drogo; don't know if that counts.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

Myron posted:

Some of those guys set themselves on fire first though, and I didn't see Sansa and Theon doing that. So much for your "theory"...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

itshammertime66 posted:

I'm just waiting for Littlefinger to pop up out of the shadows in Dorne and be all like "Yes, you've all played your parts perfectly, my evil plan is falling into place mwahahahaha!!!" :master:

Littlefinger takes off his shirt and the camera pans on his body for no reason for like 3 minutes

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Runs in wildly out of breath. Takes a deep inhale, bent over hands on his knees. Looks up. "Dorne." Turns around to leave and looks back . "Sand snakes. " Runs down the hall out of the thread and shouts, "God tier tits."

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Master Twig posted:

I actually hope we'll get a War of Five Queens between the Sand Snakes, Dany, Cersei, Sansa, and Theon's sister.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

QuoProQuid posted:

I actually hope we'll get a War of Five Queens between the Sand Snakes, Dany, Cersei, Sansa, and Theon's sister.

War of dah bad pooseh

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Phi230 posted:

War of dah bad pooseh

The TV IV > Game of Thrones: Season 6 - War of dah bad pooseh

Make it happen.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Phi230 posted:

War of dah bad pooseh

You're not wrong, Bronn is almost certainly a Dornish agent now.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Maarak posted:

You're not wrong, Bronn is almost certainly a Dornish agent now.

Oh motherfuck, they could have actually killed Trystane this way and it would have worked since we know that Lannisters' goldmines are running dry.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Lloyd Boner posted:

Just look up Russians jumping off buildings into snow.

Yeah. In the North, that's a thing people are going to know about as a possible thing to do.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Golem II posted:

When's Hodor showing up?

Bran was in the ep preview so probably this Sunday. :dance:

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
This was a good ep, but then I've been mostly watching the Walking Dead for a couple of months.

Was Witchtitties getting into bed with John's corpse in that last shot?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
No, Jon was on a table in a different room.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Ok, boner killed.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Melisaggers

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

QuoProQuid posted:

I read a fan theory that mentioned how Martin was a conscientious objector during the Vietnam war, since he believes wars are violent and miserable and stupid. It would be weird for the story to end with another yet war, "but a good one this time." Rather, the story will be resolved somehow through diplomacy and compromise rather than some dramatic battle between dragons and zombies.

I personally like to think that that theory connects with the "Five Queens" theory. Dany arrives ready to "break the wheel" (dismantling patriarchal nobility) and finds it's easy to do since most of the men have already gotten themselves killed for stupid reasons. The queens of Westeros, led by Dany, then manage to figure out how to stop the Others without millions dying in some climactic, Tolkein-esque battle.

It wouldn't make for good TV though so it probably won't happen that way, but I'd like it. I think it would be good.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 27, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

EccoRaven posted:

I read a fan theory that mentioned how Martin was a conscientious objector during the Vietnam war, since he believes wars are violent and miserable and stupid. It would be weird for the story to end with another yet war, "but a good one this time." Rather, the story will be resolved somehow through diplomacy and compromise rather than some dramatic battle between dragons and zombies.
Well, you could always end the story with a great big violent miserably stupid war with the only winners being the people who weren't great movers and shakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

The only god-tier tits that exist in this show belong to Mel.

And Sam.

• Locked thread