Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

New Orleans first impressions: it feels more durable than the Pepsicola.

Also my first game with tier X players has introduced me to a whole new level of pubbie cowardice. gently caress you, Montana, stop hiding behind that island!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, I'd like for US shell arcs to be reduced somewhat too. I'm incredibly tired of, in high tier games, seeing one parked almost directly behind an island and somehow still lobbing shells over it at me when I'm 10-12 km away, completely untouchable due to my own arcs just plowing into the island. The ballistics involved in somehow managing to do that are absolutely ludicrous, because they're generally effectively hugging the island. If I'm in a battleship I'm not exactly dodging at that range, so it's just a constant stream of damage and fires until I manage to slowly turn around and lumber out of range, because actually trying to advance in such a way to actually allow firing on them is usually suicidal, since it involves charging into likely destroyer infested waters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF3x0aeoPhc

I just had the mission to get 3000 main gun hits to get my Pretty Princess Kongo. The Atlanta probably got 2950 of those hits and it took about 8 minutes to get them.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
How sustainable is a 3 destroyer division? I gently caress around in a destroyer while my two other friends are in a cruiser and an AC, and I finally convinced them to hop in their tier 2-3 destroyers, and we had a blast just scooting around dropping endless waves of torpedoes and smoke

Since only the US and Japan get destroyers, can someone give me a good breakdown between the two, and is one particularly better than the other? I nearly choked when my friend told me the T3 US only had a 4.5-5km range... until I realized it can fire 12 torps in two volleys of 6

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Triple Japanese destroyer division is very very cancerous at high tier.
Permanent smoke and torp wall can lock down a good chunk of the map.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Krogort posted:

Triple Japanese destroyer division is very very cancerous at high tier.
Permanent smoke and torp wall can lock down a good chunk of the map.

Triple japanese DD once you have >10km torps can more or less convert a large section of a map into torpedo cancer, yes.
Triple american DD at tier 7+ can basically sink any ship they can find, and put out an astonishing quantity of fire causing HE dps. Nothing says 'I hate you and wish you to die' like a spread of 30 torpedos.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
DD generalization 101:

USN DDs can stealth torp from T7 and the T9 and T10 are as good as IJN in terms of torping IMO. At lower tiers, USN DDs tend to have fast, short range torps and can fire more at once. IJN in general have longer ranged torps but can't fire as many at once.

USN guns have a much faster traverse and ROF but have terrible arcs. IJN guns have glacial turrets, cruiser-like ROF, but are like railguns compared to USN. If a USN gets within 5km it will generally beat any IJN or Russian DD of even up to +2 tiers.

Russian DDs have guns that have IJN-like arcs but with nearly USN RoF. Their torps tend to be even shorter ranged than USN but tend to pack a bigger punch. At ranges of 8-12km a Russian DD should be able to beat both IJN and USN DDs. Ofc a really good IJN captain won't get into such fights in the first place if possible (but its not completely avoidable).

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I think maybe WG's reduction of repair costs is effecting the T10 meta somewhat. I had two very fun games in my Zao where there was a fair amount of 10km brawling and the pubbies actually showed some aggressiveness. I know Zao is supposed to invisifire, but if a Yamato and Izumo is going to charge, gently caress it, I'll be right alongside them. To their credit, the reds brawled as well.

blowfish posted:

I used to hate the Furutaka for being a piece of crap with slow-turning slow-reloading guns.

What I'm saying is more goons should division up in the Taco and vaporise scrubs for mad bux and chat rage.

I only played it post-buff, but your post and "How to Taco" makes me want to rebuy the thing. Taco divisions will be hilarious.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
0.5.5 patch notes for Asia are up.

Torpedo changes, no invisifire nerf (hell, an invisifire buff).

More useful information on the port stats pane.

:siren: Faster load times :siren:

Small Kirov buff, tiny Pensicola buff :(

Patch day on the 28th.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Most interesting part

quote:

• For the "North" map, we added the "Cyclone" (working title) weather conditions (heavy rain, fog, heavy low clouds), which occur with 50% probability. During the cyclone, the maximum surface spotting/detectability range (ship to ship) is 8 km, and the maximum air spotting/detectability range (ship to aircraft, aircraft to ship, aircraft to aircraft) is 3 km.
  • The chance of a cyclone and its duration are random values that may significantly differ from one battle to another. The Cyclone will start randomly in the time period between the 2nd and 10th minutes of battle.
  • The change from sunny weather to a Cyclone takes 120 seconds and the Cyclone duration can be from 2 to 10 minutes.
  • During "bad" weather, the aircraft carriers will be able to spot only the targets that are spotted by their aircraft or are directly visible
  • Depending on the current weather conditions, the length of the view cone displayed on the Minimap will change to match the spotting range
  • When the weather starts to change to "bad" weather, the following message is displayed: "Cyclone inbound! Spotting range will be decreased to 8 km!" (or a different value, depending on the scenario)
  • When the change from "bad" to "good" weather is complete, the following message is displayed: "Cyclone is over! Spotting range restored!"

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

-In order to improve the efficiency of Soviet destroyers when countering larger targets, we increased the chances of setting them on fire with HE shells.

haha okidoke

-From now on a player can receive the "Team Killer" status even if they caused relatively slight damage to an ally

Oh you hit my fuso tower? YOU ARE PINK NOW

-Now additional ship parameters are displayed in the Port:

Cool

-Integrated the Tobii EyeX technology.

gimmicky :rolleye:

-In the Controls tab, added a new option in the battle camera settings group: "Always start the battle completely zoomed out". By default, this option is disabled. When enabled, the battle camera will always be as zoomed out as possible when the battle starts. All other settings will be ignored. Otherwise, the battle camera will be focused on a main turret during the countdown before the battle starts. This option works for cruisers, destroyers, and battleships.

Good

-Now, the multiplier factor is not applied to the ship's detectability range for 20 seconds after a shot from the main battery is fired, if at the moment of the shot the ship cannot be detected by the enemy, even with the potential detectability range increase being applied.

This sounds like a significant invisifire buff, when the entire community was expecting a nerf. Anyone confirm?

-Added new music tracks, including tracks with vocals

WHY

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Pacra posted:

-Added new music tracks, including tracks with vocals

WHY

This is really terrible because for some reason I can't turn the music off in my game. For some reason in windowed the options screen won't let me make changes.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Pacra posted:

-Now, the multiplier factor is not applied to the ship's detectability range for 20 seconds after a shot from the main battery is fired, if at the moment of the shot the ship cannot be detected by the enemy, even with the potential detectability range increase being applied.

This sounds like a significant invisifire buff, when the entire community was expecting a nerf. Anyone confirm?
Eh, it's not a huge one. Unless you can identify when you're about to get spotted when stealth firing and stop shooting to avoid picking up the 20 second visibility increase, there shouldn't be much of a change. This does, however, buff shooting over islands or firing out of smoke. Now you can scoot behind an island, pop a shot off at somebody turning the corner, and so long as he wasn't able to see you, you won't pop out of cover with a huge visibility increase. Same goes for shooting out of smoke clouds, then getting out, you won't have to wait 20 seconds after firing before leaving the cloud if you want to be perfectly invisible in a DD.

Its a fairly effective buff for RUS DDs (coupled with the HE fire chance increase) and a large one for IJN DDs (which typically don't like getting spotted, ever). If the US DD was shooting, its probably already within a range that it would be detected, whether or not it has the penalty, so its not as big a buff for them.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 26, 2016

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I also feel like a big dick because upon further reflection they're probably going to use the EyeX tech as an Accessibility feature :(

KLazarus
Jul 16, 2007

Is there an up to date discord link? The one in the OP is expired and shooting boats without goons is becoming grindy.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Darkinai posted:

Is there an up to date discord link? The one in the OP is expired and shooting boats without goons is becoming grindy.

https://discordapp.com/channels/137033956238426112/137033956238426112

Buttes McDuff
Dec 4, 2004

Scottish Buttesman

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, I'd like for US shell arcs to be reduced somewhat too. I'm incredibly tired of, in high tier games, seeing one parked almost directly behind an island and somehow still lobbing shells over it at me when I'm 10-12 km away, completely untouchable due to my own arcs just plowing into the island. The ballistics involved in somehow managing to do that are absolutely ludicrous, because they're generally effectively hugging the island. If I'm in a battleship I'm not exactly dodging at that range, so it's just a constant stream of damage and fires until I manage to slowly turn around and lumber out of range, because actually trying to advance in such a way to actually allow firing on them is usually suicidal, since it involves charging into likely destroyer infested waters.

Its really the only way to play the Des Moines until the first half of the battle thins out the numbers and you can close in. The Balti and DM simply do not have the durability to fight at medium to long range effectively compared to a Zao.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Buttes McDuff posted:

Its really the only way to play the Des Moines until the first half of the battle thins out the numbers and you can close in. The Balti and DM simply do not have the durability to fight at medium to long range effectively compared to a Zao.

Do you mean "durability" or "concealment" there?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Again and again, tier IX-X matches where half of both teams sit behind islands and try to play whack-a-mole with each other for the entire round. The gently caress is this poo poo?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

Again and again, tier IX-X matches where half of both teams sit behind islands and try to play whack-a-mole with each other for the entire round. The gently caress is this poo poo?

Welcome to the high-tier meta, created by the fact that repairs on a TX ship are/were 300+k credits, so dying in a TX will take a massive bite out of your wallet.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Maybe vocals means badass Russian military choirs. I would be okay with some of that.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Redeye Flight posted:

Maybe vocals means badass Russian military choirs. I would be okay with some of that.

Obviously WoWS is now getting an anime theme song.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hazdoc posted:

Obviously WoWS is now getting an anime theme song.

Every single shipgirl theme song, all 47 of them.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Every single shipgirl theme song, all 47 of them.

At the same time :unsmigghh:

E: they're going to get the Red Army Choir to do the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGFrvzKecq0

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 27, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The patch can't come any sooner.

Edit:

Also, new video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK0P_6vw5Ho

This is an old one, since I've hardly had time to actually play boats. I've also got 11 gun only devastating strike kills recorded so far. Don't know how many I'll bank before I make a montage of them.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 27, 2016

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
This surprise 2x exp and 2x credits on every win is a nice bonus from this upgrade. Goes til the 29th.

Don't forget to change your battles back to Random, instead of co-op... wasted my first game in New Orleans.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 27, 2016

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
what happens to those arpreggio ships after the mission ends? are they removed from the hangar dockyards?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Redeye Flight posted:

I hope that's the case. I still have the Red October theme song stuck in my head.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I have no idea if my update is proceeding or not, the WoWS process has a core pegged but the bar isn't moving (possibly because there aren't any spare cycles to update it because LOL at single-threading in TYOL 2016).

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

Ishizuchi: Steering gear and magazine modules are now more protected from HE shell fragments. Moreover, the rate of fire for her main guns was improved from 30 seconds to 25 seconds

:eyepop: the zucchini got buffed? I would have preferred a range buff, but I wasn't expecting poo poo so yay I guess.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Dreadnought closed beta just started. You can try and snag a code or get a founders pack if you the desire to play space boats. Also there's a thread up in Games.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
0.5.5 Patch has been delayed indefinately in EU :-s

Apparently there is some real bad UI bug so they are going to spare us while they solve it. Thanks for the Beta test, US cousins! Tbh I'd take a bug for the increased turret armour on Atlanta and potential for fewer DDs in matches.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Jesus christ the bugs are real. UI freezes randomly and it becomes a shitshow of figuring out who is what and where.

This would be HILARIOUS as a game mode, no indicators on friendly or hostile ships, so you're constantly trying to figure out who's friendly and who's not. No indicators on planes sometimes, either, so your squads suddenly get strafed by invisible planes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

Jesus christ the bugs are real. UI freezes randomly and it becomes a shitshow of figuring out who is what and where.

This would be HILARIOUS as a game mode, no indicators on friendly or hostile ships, so you're constantly trying to figure out who's friendly and who's not. No indicators on planes sometimes, either, so your squads suddenly get strafed by invisible planes.

So much for a couple days of double xp in every battle!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

I agree, some sort of night battle mode where all ships are the same to your UI and you can blast away at your own teammates because the UI is telling you it's an enemy ship (like what actually happened a few times at Guadacanal) would be hilarious.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
I played 12 games, and it only happened in the last game. It also happened to be my best game, because apparently no one else can simply shoot at ships without big indicators above ships.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The New Mexico seems to me a step down from the New York. I was actually doing alright with the New York but base New Mexico is just trash.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Holy loving data repacking what did they do with this update??

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

demonR6 posted:

Holy loving data repacking what did they do with this update??

Changed the way the game data is stored, to stop it from loading people in minutes after the battle started. 3gb, 1gb, localisation, and a bit of processing time is what it took for me.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Changed the way the game data is stored, to stop it from loading people in minutes after the battle started. 3gb, 1gb, localisation, and a bit of processing time is what it took for me.

Ended up being a lot faster for me to redownload than repack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
After 20 minutes of data repacking it wants to clean up files, then tells me I have the incorrect game version.. more clean up, downloading missing files, now I am downloading that other 1gb file you mentioned. Bravo WG all this and there is a horrible GUI bug waiting at the end of the rainbow for me.