Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Has enworld or any of the other banner-waving sites woken up to the anemic support for this edition yet? This is the least-supported version of D&D in history.

E: Can we just back up and talk about how loving lovely it is that they are releasing all kinds of stuff that they are admitting is "not playtested" and that you are not supposed to use in organized play?

Name Change fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Second Wind is in 5e as an optional rule, but healing surges are not, nor are healing hit dice functional equivalents.

I must be misremembering the wording of the optional rule than. I thought it was a straight up healing surge.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Nope, it's Hit Dice and I don't really understand why the devs thought they were even remotely acceptable as a substitute. Hit Dice are terrible replacements for healing surges because as you level you're always going to have around 100% of your HP in reserve (though it depends heavily on how well you roll) with each die becoming a smaller portion of your total HP, but even if you were making the worst decisions possible as a 4e character by playing a shade wizard who dumps Con you'd have 4 surges and thus have 100% HP in reserve, while a default mage would have 150% to 175% depending on if you put a 12 in Con, and it could get even better from there. Hit dice just don't have the legs to carry a character as far as healing surges did.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Is the fact that you lose ASIs when multiclassing unless multiclassing in multiples of four levels intended to be some kind of balancing mechanism?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MonsieurChoc posted:

Too bad it didn't come out for the better D&D game.

Yeah I'm bitter.

Man, this isn't even a "better D&D" thing, people have been fantasizing about a D&D/Magic crossover since two thousand frickin one. They've avoided doing so for 15 years and two entire editions, and now when they finally decide to give people this thing they've been wanting, it comes in the form of an anemic PDF with no real testing and minimal hype. Like holy poo poo, this ought to be a big deal! Magic and D&D crossover! If you'd think anything would merit some big pricey full-color hardback it would be be this!

Nope. Whatever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Caphi posted:

Is the fact that you lose ASIs when multiclassing unless multiclassing in multiples of four levels intended to be some kind of balancing mechanism?
Yes. Commence laughing.

Kai Tave posted:

Man, this isn't even a "better D&D" thing, people have been fantasizing about a D&D/Magic crossover since two thousand frickin one. They've avoided doing so for 15 years and two entire editions, and now when they finally decide to give people this thing they've been wanting, it comes in the form of an anemic PDF with no real testing and minimal hype. Like holy poo poo, this ought to be a big deal! Magic and D&D crossover! If you'd think anything would merit some big pricey full-color hardback it would be be this!

Nope. Whatever.
If they make too big a fuss about it the Magic guys might find out :ssh:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Don't forget that fighters get their ASI's on a different schedule than everyone else.

Splicer posted:

In universe Zendikar is about 15 different flavors of hosed right now, It can probably recover but it will take a long time, so they're probably okay with letting their D&D Team have some non-canon adventures while Nahiri turns Innistrad into some very expensive revenge art.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 27, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Yes. Commence laughing.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the new president, if he isn't as concerned with "brand dilution" or whatever the vague excuse for not doing a crossover before was.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I wonder if this has anything to do with the new president, if he isn't as concerned with "brand dilution" or whatever the vague excuse for not doing a crossover before was.

Part of the problem was probably just how incredibly toxic D&D R&D has been at points. I know they started taking steps to keep them segregated.

However, that definitely wasn't always the case. If you look at the credits of books from the middle of 3e, you find a lot of Magic R&D people with playtesting or development credits. Skaff Elias, Randy Buehler, and Mike Donais are three names that come to mind.

This also isn't the first time Wizards has done online content combining both games. Back during 3.0 there was an article presenting several characters from the Legends set in D&D rules. I remember the article saying it made sense since they were originally NPCs from a D&D game anyway. If I remember, it was promoting the Epic Level Handbook, since that was needed for most of the characters due to their high levels.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

Part of the problem was probably just how incredibly toxic D&D R&D has been at points. I know they started taking steps to keep them segregated.
Who was that guy who got sent to design hell for a month?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So every time the Spell Less Ranger comes up at a pub table it's banned outright. Am I misreading something about the variant because it doesn't look anything that breaks the game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Probably because it isn't the one-true-version as printed in the PHB and also it turns the ranger into less of the trap choice for bads that Grogs want it to be.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
"MtG and D&D" makes me think that it could be neat to have a class that works like a psion, except that 0-level powers give you mana instead of costing mana, and every higher level up from there in powers costs more mana but gives you more mana when the casting time ends. Then if you don't burn off all your mana within a given time, it ignites and deals damage to you.

Sort of getting the thematic feel of escalating turn-by-turn mana costs and old-school mana burn from MtG.

I have no idea how you'd balance it against other classes, though, since to fit the thematics it'd be like a nova psion but run in reverse, with the weakest powers at the start of each combat and ramping up to the strongest ones by rounds 4/5.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Has enworld or any of the other banner-waving sites woken up to the anemic support for this edition yet? This is the least-supported version of D&D in history.

You do see occasional complaints about the lack of content on ENWorld. They are inevitably buried under a wave of insistence that everything is fine, just fine, what more could you possibly want?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

You do see occasional complaints about the lack of content on ENWorld. They are inevitably buried under a wave of insistence that everything is fine, just fine, what more could you possibly want?
You often also see people praising the schedule because they don't have to spend as much money to keep up to date.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ImpactVector posted:

You often also see people praising the schedule because they don't have to spend as much money to keep up to date.
Also because of how painstakingly tested it all is. You know, QUALITY OVER QUANTITY, you demanding nerds!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Splicer posted:

Yes. Commence laughing.

This feels like an actual issue to me - like multiclassing is just broken, or that they've deliberately kneecapped it because someone only put it in at all to appease 3.x grogs. Is scaling hit/save up to 20 less important than I thought it is?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Also because of how painstakingly tested it all is. You know, QUALITY OVER QUANTITY, you demanding nerds!

For anyone who wants more of the D&D 5e Experience™, I recommend taking a look at the trainwreck that was the multi-year leadup process to the recently released Exalted 3e.

The "natural language!!/ask your DM!!" issues are even the same.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 27, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
:siren:ENWorld's Warlord-specific sub-forum has been merged back into the main site!!!:siren:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

dwarf74 posted:

:siren:ENWorld's Warlord-specific sub-forum has been merged back into the main site!!!:siren:

Just goes to show that some wounds can be mended by yelling.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
WotC higher ups should be holding a gun to the MtG fluff guys to hand over world books to DnD's team to put out an semi-annual "Adventurer's Guide to (Plane)."

Ravnica, Lorwyn, Ravnica, Zendikar, Innistrad, Ravnica, Alara, Ravnica, Mirrodin, Ravnica, Tarkir, Ravnica, Shandalar, Ravnica, New Phyrexia, oh and don't forget Ravnica.

Part setting book, part monster compendium, part alternate abilities (who am I kidding, extra spells because spellcaster supremacy).

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Trast posted:

I must be misremembering the wording of the optional rule than. I thought it was a straight up healing surge.

Yeah sorry I'm not exactly sure what you are referring. I mean yeah I'm completely being an rear end but as far as I know there isnt anything that shares the same functional role in 5e as 4e healing surges. Fixed, measurable uses of healing that are applied almost completely without restriction outside of combat and every class have differing amounts relative to how much damage they are expected to be taking

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

gradenko_2000 posted:

In other news, WOTC has released a setting PDF that mashes up Magic the Gathering with D&D 5e

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

Havent even clicked it and Im already nauseous.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Played for the first time tonight. My buddy is GMing for Adventurer's League; he doesn't have much experience but things went pretty smoothly. I did lots of rules lookup while other people were taking their turns and we mostly got everybody on the same page. One of the other players is his wife and between her and I, we helped the two brand new people figure out what was what though I don't know if it'll stick all the way til next week. The Drow Rogue had lots of trouble remembering his Attack and Damage rolls.

While I felt constrained by the system, I did get more utility out of a level 1 Paladin than I expected. Shoving creatures down so the Rogue could Sneak Attack, using Lay On Hands to pick up downed PCs, and never getting hit with my 18 AC. I'm thinking at level 2 I'll go for the Protection FIghting Style; the Druid and Cleric went down a lot. Only being able to cast two spells (out of three choices) feels very limiting but that's how Paladin casting goes I suppose.

For Adventurer's League do we keep using the same characters throughout til they hit a certain level/the modules end? Curse of Strahd starts us at level 1, is it like a new season basically?

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

PJOmega posted:

WotC higher ups should be holding a gun to the MtG fluff guys to hand over world books to DnD's team to put out an semi-annual "Adventurer's Guide to (Plane)."

Ravnica, Lorwyn, Ravnica, Zendikar, Innistrad, Ravnica, Alara, Ravnica, Mirrodin, Ravnica, Tarkir, Ravnica, Shandalar, Ravnica, New Phyrexia, oh and don't forget Ravnica.

Part setting book, part monster compendium, part alternate abilities (who am I kidding, extra spells because spellcaster supremacy).

Instead they are releasing the Art of MtG books (so far Zendikar, Innistrad in a few months), which contain all the fluff and no rules. Which is better, because then it can be easily be used with a good game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PJOmega posted:

I've got a lot of love for old Dominaria and other pre-Apocalypse Planes.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PJOmega posted:

WotC higher ups know what side their bread is buttered on, is the thing.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

PJOmega posted:

the MtG fluff guys to hand over world books
MtG "worlds" are drunk-dreams written one tiny card-quote at a time.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

FRINGE posted:

MtG "worlds" are drunk-dreams written one tiny card-quote at a time.

Just look at all these tiny card-quotes

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

thefakenews posted:

Just look at all these tiny card-quotes
I played that game long enough that it would take a high level Miracle* to make me respect their ability to construct a cohesive world. They just take DUDE THIS ONE COOL IDEA from BRO THIS SICK ART and then try to connect the dots afterwards.

Which reminds me I still have more ancient cards to sell. :20bux:

* Maybe they will hire some good writers and build something from the paint splatters. Its not impossible I guess. They may as well cash in a little more on their addicts.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

FRINGE posted:

I played that game long enough that it would take a high level Miracle* to make me respect their ability to construct a cohesive world. They just take DUDE THIS ONE COOL IDEA from BRO THIS SICK ART and then try to connect the dots afterwards.

Which reminds me I still have more ancient cards to sell. :20bux:

* Maybe they will hire some good writers and build something from the paint splatters. Its not impossible I guess. They may as well cash in a little more on their addicts.

When did you stop playing? Their setting creation has improved a lot in recent years. They very much start with developing settings for a set, before dong the mechanical design.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying the settings have the depth of the Forgotten Realms or whatever, just that they have more cohesive settings that do provide a reasonable basis for an RPG setting.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 28, 2016

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

thefakenews posted:

Instead they are releasing the Art of MtG books (so far Zendikar, Innistrad in a few months), which contain all the fluff and no rules. Which is better, because then it can be easily be used with a good game.
I wonder if that was the cause and effect.

MtG: We're releasing what's effectively system-independent sourcebooks!
D&D: Aww come on!
MtG: Fine, you can release something concurrently.
D&D: *shits out a half-assed pdf with no fanfare*
MtG: ...gently caress's sake.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

thefakenews posted:

When did you stop playing? Their setting creation has improved a lot in recent years. They very much start with developing settings for a set, before dong the mechanical design.

Before that happened apparently. :v:

(Like I quit sometime after Urzas Saga. Made a pile selling the stack of dual lands and Legends cards after the new "Commander" thing started.)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

For Adventurer's League do we keep using the same characters throughout til they hit a certain level/the modules end? Curse of Strahd starts us at level 1, is it like a new season basically?

Yeah pretty much. Season 4 just started recently so the only module content is low to barely mid tier. You can keep playing these characters as long as you like but when the next season comes out it'll begin with low tier content again. If you're playing the book then you can just play through the whole thing with your current characters then do any high/epic tier modules that are out by then.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Splicer posted:

I wonder if that was the cause and effect.

MtG: We're releasing what's effectively system-independent sourcebooks!
D&D: Aww come on!
MtG: Fine, you can release something concurrently.
D&D: *shits out a half-assed pdf with no fanfare*
MtG: ...gently caress's sake.

I think it's pretty much exactly this.

The slightly more charitable read is that the PDF is a way for the D&D team to gauge interest in a proper supplement. A supplement they probably want to do because they already have a good hundred pages of setting material written by former D&D guy James Wyatt (he did the text of the Art of MtG book), and so they just need to bullshit up some new races and a couple monsters and spells, and BOOM - low effort supplement.

Edit: Also Zendikar was developed to be essentially a D&D type world of adventure. That was the conceit of the Zendikar set, which included "quest" cards and creatures that levelled up. Of course, it's got a bunch of cool aspect to that make it more interesting than the average D&D setting, and was created to be basically destroyed by Cthulhu monsters from beyond time and space.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 28, 2016

knux911
Nov 21, 2012

Selachian posted:

*sigh*
There used to be regular Dungeon and Dragon magazines coming out via DnD Insider.
Plenty of new options and flavour etc. for players and DMs.

All that thrown aside and everything wound back so the game doesn't evolve anymore.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've got a lot of love for old Dominaria and other pre-Apocalypse Planes.

Same. I've been running my 4e group in a post-Brother's War Dominaria (none of them know MTG at all so it's whatever to them) and they just nuked Mercadia before leaving on their Spelljammer with the bones of Ramos.

It's been a fun campaign, these books might help me flesh things out a bit more when we get to Ravnica.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

knux911 posted:

*sigh*
There used to be regular Dungeon and Dragon magazines coming out via DnD Insider.
Plenty of new options and flavour etc. for players and DMs.

All that thrown aside and everything wound back so the game doesn't evolve anymore.

It must be really hurting small games stores. I was in Glasgow for the weekend and thought I'd support the shop there so I went along with the intention of buying basically any D&D sourcebook that wasn't an adventure. I was in fairly uncritical mood. But I had everything they had, and I posses less than half a dozen books for the system.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
They could fire up Dragon Magazine again and just hire some editors and let people bomb them with free articles that they could pick and choose from (and refine/flesh out).

They could also allow submissions pertaining to any edition of actual DnD. Just have it tagged clearly "based on ruleset B/1e/2e/3e/4e/5e" and let people run with it and share ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FRINGE posted:

They could fire up Dragon Magazine again and just hire some editors and let people bomb them with free articles that they could pick and choose from (and refine/flesh out).

They could also allow submissions pertaining to any edition of actual DnD. Just have it tagged clearly "based on ruleset B/1e/2e/3e/4e/5e" and let people run with it and share ideas.
They could probably get someone to pay them to produce Dragon again (by licencing it), and just have one guy on WotC's D&D staff whose job it is to say yay or nay to whatever fan-made free content the licencee is planning to publish each issue so they can maintain control over the IP as a whole. Christ, that guy probably wouldn't have to spend more than two days a month approving the proposals if the lead times were long enough, and if the mag is online only they don't even have to worry about finding replacement editorial to fill the pages if something's turned down.

Basically, they could get other people to give them money for the privilege of taking all the risk and doing all the work.