Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Commissar Budgie posted:

Real talk: Are whips any good in this game? A few friends of mine are making castlevania-themed characters and I've had moderate luck pairing the whip mainhand with the rapier offhand since the whip seems to do fuckall to anything with a shield or aggressive move sets, like the Lothric Knights. Is there any hope for a purely whip Alvin and the Belmonts or is he to be a rapier pokeboy from here on out?

The weapon skill on most Whips is actually quite good. It hits three times at range, ignores shields, and in PvP is pretty difficult to avoid if you aren't keenly aware of how it works. PvE Whips scale pretty decently.
You can't backstab or riposte with them, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Uncle Andross...!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
My new favorite thing is invading, hitting the host or a phantom with an undead hunter charm, and then watching them try to chug an empty bottle in a panic.

I also enjoy when people attempt to run away, and they fall off a ledge high enough to stun them for a second. I like to land on top of these fools with a plunging attack.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 27, 2016

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Tykero posted:

The weapon skill on most Whips is actually quite good. It hits three times at range, ignores shields, and in PvP is pretty difficult to avoid if you aren't keenly aware of how it works. PvE Whips scale pretty decently.
You can't backstab or riposte with them, however.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll have better luck with them once I can upgrade them more and get some more dex.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4gnyd6/from_is_adjusting_blue_sentinels_and_bodm/

Next regulation looks like it's gonna be...
  • Changes to Blue Sentinel/Darkmoon summoning levels. I'm guessing widening it to increase the chances you get hits.
  • Changes to daggers--probably buffs
  • Changes to twin sword weapons--harder to guess whether it'll be nerfs or buffs. If they only mean the Gotthard Twinswords it's probably a nerf, if they mean all twin sword weapons then if they nerf them that's ridiculous because the Gotthards are the only really good ones, but if they buff them, they really shouldn't buff the Gotthards.
  • Changes to skills in the "Magic" category which is a phrasing I love. That is so insanely vague and far-reaching and could be anything from across-the-board sorcery buffs to nerfing Sunlight Spear into the ground because it one-shots in melee range.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Commissar Budgie posted:

Real talk: Are whips any good in this game? A few friends of mine are making castlevania-themed characters and I've had moderate luck pairing the whip mainhand with the rapier offhand since the whip seems to do fuckall to anything with a shield or aggressive move sets, like the Lothric Knights. Is there any hope for a purely whip Alvin and the Belmonts or is he to be a rapier pokeboy from here on out?

I was using a fire whip as a backup weapon for low level PVP. The damage on it felt incredibly meh and the wind-up on an attack takes forever compared to other weapons, and I eventually dropped it. A charged up R2 attack deals way more damage than a normal hit, though, and is nearly a 180 cleaving range in front of you. It's great for knocking skeletons to pieces and making them waste time reforming, but that was about it. I also don't think it can be parried, either.

Edit: R2 also strikes through solid objects without making you recoil, so it's good for cheap shots around corners or through walls in buildings.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Einwand posted:

Guy who keeps posting their videos of punching dudes, any advice on punching weapons? I'm doing a gimmick setup of "is Gundyr" and I feel having the option to bring out much faster punches along with the halberd is incredibly fitting.

Yo das me

Advice on punching weapons: don't

For real though, they're really fun but super gimmicky because poise is garbage in its current implementation, if it isn't bugged outright. This makes the caestus weapon art useless. The defense boost it gives is negligible, you're still going to get killed in two hits from a greatsword or get chain hit to death by an 8 hit combo from a irithyll straight sword (both happened to me within the last hour)

If you insist because you want to be an incredibly handsome and big-wienered dude such as myself, here's what I've gathered so far form doing tons of pvping while beasting through the whole game with just caestus/demon fists so far.

-Your openers are the sprinting L1 doublepunch (fast to come out and easy to roll out of for safety) and the sprinting R1 backhand (strong, and the parry timing is strange so its less likely to get you stabbed in the dick).
-If you got a dude who likes to roll whenever he feels like he'll be carressed by the gentlest breeze (this should be you too, btw), if you can predict the roll you can hit them with your sprinting heavy dunk which is your most damaging move.
-Punish people trying to do the same to you with your R2 jab. It has a surprising amount of reach.
-You WILL trade with everything, up to and including the Fume Ultra Greatsword. And since poise is stupid right now, there's nothing you can do about being combo'd. Stay mobile, be patient.
-Off-handing the caestus lets you parry instead of using its terrible weapon art. Tight timing but it's better than nothing.
-Learn the weapons you're fighting against:
Katana users are going to try and sprint-poke you. You can parry this if you can see it coming. If they use their weapon art, you can just sprint at them to try and bait the parry or roll past them if they try to hit you. If you're not sprinting, the timing for the caestus parry on their weapon art attack is to use it when they crouch down to their lowest point.
Spear users are going to try and poke you to death. Sprint to the side, bait the poke, run in and slap, get away. Hit and run tactics. If they're the spinning kind, bait it, stay away, roll into the last spin, R2 uppercut, get out.
Greatswords users are going to make you their bitch, but they're more often than not wearing the pee-pants so it evens out. Stay mobile. If you don't stagger them on the first hit, get the gently caress out. They get to use poise and you don't, so there's nothing you can do to break through their hyper armor and they need to hit you a lot less than you need to hit them. Do not try to parry them (unless they're using one of the dex greatswords). These guys will be your biggest problem.
Straightsword/Thrusting sword users are generally of lower quality stock and lesser class, but they can be a problem since they've gotten really good at just mashing R1 through the entire game. You will be swiped 7 times by a dark sword. your only options here are hit and run or to try and roll through all of their poo poo. Do not try to trade. Pretty easy to parry since they're generally really dumb but poking weapons have double-sized hotboxes so it's not safe to try and get them. They've also generally invested a lot of points into vigor because they'e bad at the game so fighting them is going to be a slog.
Axe/Scythe/Whatever users are generally pretty simple since those weapons take a little finesse to use, which means (like your own weapons) they're not nearly as good as the alternatives listed above. They can be weird sometimes. be patient, hit and run, punish their inevitable big dumb useless move that is the reason no one ever uses these weapons.
Magic users (including faith and pyros) need to be baited into using their spells and then you run up and punch them in the dick. These will usually be straight/thrusting sword users, so head's up.
Dagger users don't exist.
Shield babies need different mindsets depending on their shield type. The types are "Parrying" and "Not Parrying". You will eat Not Parrying shields for breakfast. This is the moment you've been training for. Get your kicks out. Parrying shields can be rough because of your range, you've just got to learn to bait that parry. Get them on the defense, run up to them, pause, and then attack once their animation is playing. Works every time.

e: also if you don't mind some fire shenanigans, the demon fists are so cool. You can break most people's blocks with the spinny-winny-slam-a-ninny if you have the knight-slayer ring on, and it's unparryable. The rest of the moveset is pretty much the same but you'll be doing fire damage on top of physical and it uses a little more stamina.

e2: OH one more important piece of information that I just remembered because I just beat a fool by doing it:

-The double-tap is generally less useful than the backhand BUT if you're chasing after a roller, and you use the sprinting combination punch in the middle of their roll, the second hit will connect. Excellent wait to punish cowards.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 27, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Harrow posted:

Changes to skills in the "Magic" category which is a phrasing I love. That is so insanely vague and far-reaching and could be anything from across-the-board sorcery buffs to nerfing Sunlight Spear into the ground because it one-shots in melee range.

I read this as "We heard people complain that Sorcerers are bad and we are doing 'unknown thing/random buffs' about it."

As for the Gothard thing, if DS2 is any indication, From is not beyond nerfing an entire class category of weapon/spells out of existance because of one thing in that category being a little too strong.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 27, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Armchair game designer time! Feel free to make fun of me for being the worst.

What I'd do to magic:
  • Speed up base casting times on all sorceries, but keep the max casting speed where it is. Basically, lessen reliance on the Sage's Ring and make early-game sorcery less slow and painful. Miracles and pyromancies are fine, speed-wise.
  • Buff all damage spells, across the board. All of them. Every last one. But...
  • ...nerf all damage-boosting rings, like the Ring of the Sun's First Born or Witch's Ring or Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring.
In the end, the point would be to make magic stronger in the early- and mid-game, but about the same as it is now in the late game, by reducing reliance on speed- and damage-boosting rings. The rings suck because, if you want to use attack spells at all beyond throwing a Great Chaos Fire Orb into a group of basilisks or something, all four of your ring slots are spoken for: you need the Sage's Ring so your casts aren't painfully slow, and you need three damage-boosting rings because two 15% boosts and a 25% boost are a big loving deal. Until you get all of those it sorta sucks to cast, and once you do get them all it's suddenly fine.

Oh, and move Lightning Spear earlier, like High Wall of Lothric early.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Alright so I just wasted like an hour trying to get the Crucifixion Victim at the bottom of the Dungeon to take the elevator by where the giant is that leads up to the bonfire.

I got him onto the elevator twice, but both times he clipped through at the same point, so I think it's not possible.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, torn between using NK's soul for the weapon or the miracle trophy. I dread the idea of fighting himin NG+

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm mostly relying on Gundyr's halberd, but having some faster attacks to mess with people seems useful so far. Absolutely no one expects to get punched, who uses a caestus for anything but parrying afterall?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

we exist, you just never hear about us because why do 46 damage on two hits when you can just clobber someone with a plank for a sword

(Twinspears, on the other hand, are pretty scary with that rolling L1; it comes out fast enough to poke someone with both at the same time out of, well, anything, also really good at applying bleed since wow two weapons at once)

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Reading posts about beating the game makes me feel like a chump, as I'm SL85 having just beat Dragonslayer armour and I still needed two phantoms to help... I can't help but feel I'm horribly overleveled for certain areas. Even so, I feel that my knight set build (Just Longsword + Longbow + kite) has just utterly poo poo dps for the bosses. I probably just need to git gud and roll better though.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 27, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Added a section on shield babies.

Mixing up your weapon types is always useful, and if you're just using the caestus to chase down quick guys or surprise someone with the ol' 1-2, they can be very useful. Make them Heavy and knocc 'em down

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Armchair game designer time! Feel free to make fun of me for being the worst.

What I'd do to magic:
  • Speed up base casting times on all sorceries, but keep the max casting speed where it is. Basically, lessen reliance on the Sage's Ring and make early-game sorcery less slow and painful. Miracles and pyromancies are fine, speed-wise.
  • Buff all damage spells, across the board. All of them. Every last one. But...
  • ...nerf all damage-boosting rings, like the Ring of the Sun's First Born or Witch's Ring or Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring.
In the end, the point would be to make magic stronger in the early- and mid-game, but about the same as it is now in the late game, by reducing reliance on speed- and damage-boosting rings. The rings suck because, if you want to use attack spells at all beyond throwing a Great Chaos Fire Orb into a group of basilisks or something, all four of your ring slots are spoken for: you need the Sage's Ring so your casts aren't painfully slow, and you need three damage-boosting rings because two 15% boosts and a 25% boost are a big loving deal. Until you get all of those it sorta sucks to cast, and once you do get them all it's suddenly fine.

Oh, and move Lightning Spear earlier, like High Wall of Lothric early.

I wouldn't mind them adjusting Great Chaos Fire Orb too, or at least the other pyromancies, because once you get that one you can safely ignore almost all the others.

The Soul of Cinder is surprisingly weak to it, too.

e: My fashion souls at the end of the game was the Faraam helm and gloves, Artorias' armor, and the Outrider booties. It's shiny and chrome.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 27, 2016

Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!
A quick question about shields - do all small shields have the better parrying? Or is that only things like the target shield?
I'm trying to make a foppish stately Unkindled and the target shield is ugly. I want to use that golden falcon shield, but I want to parry easy-mode.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is anybody else noticing these regulations/patches are coming out extremely fast? I don't remember too much of vanilla DS2 and nothing at all about DS1, was this the case there?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Lovely Senorita posted:

we exist, you just never hear about us because why do 46 damage on two hits when you can just clobber someone with a plank for a sword

(Twinspears, on the other hand, are pretty scary with that rolling L1; it comes out fast enough to poke someone with both at the same time, which is dang good for bleed)

I faught one guy with daggers in my entire time playing and he made a good account of himself. Too bad they were daggers. He buffed the bandit twin-daggers with fire and was laying into me pretty well but as you said, low damage per hit was his undoing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HaB posted:

I realize that's probably near impossible to balance and is completely a pipe dream, but there it is. Instead we get "spam R1 with a straight sword or a rapier" which will be every invader you see until someone finds a counter, then we'll be on to the next generic build.

Every time someone posts "balance is impossible, there's always an optimal build" I wonder what kind of poor, deprived gaming life they've lived. Like, have you never played a good multiplayer game? What happened to you to make you think that "lovely balance" and "total homogeneity" are the only possibilities? It's possible to do better! :unsmith:

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

Yo das me

Advice on punching weapons: don't

For real though, they're really fun but super gimmicky because poise is garbage in its current implementation, if it isn't bugged outright. This makes the caestus weapon art useless. The defense boost it gives is negligible, you're still going to get killed in two hits from a greatsword or get chain hit to death by an 8 hit combo from a irithyll straight sword (both happened to me within the last hour)

If you insist because you want to be an incredibly handsome and big-wienered dude such as myself, here's what I've gathered so far form doing tons of pvping while beasting through the whole game with just caestus/demon fists so far.

-Your openers are the sprinting L1 doublepunch (fast to come out and easy to roll out of for safety) and the sprinting R1 backhand (strong, and the parry timing is strange so its less likely to get you stabbed in the dick).
-If you got a dude who likes to roll whenever he feels like he'll be carressed by the gentlest breeze (this should be you too, btw), if you can predict the roll you can hit them with your sprinting heavy dunk which is your most damaging move.
-Punish people trying to do the same to you with your R2 jab. It has a surprising amount of reach.
-You WILL trade with everything, up to and including the Fume Ultra Greatsword. And since poise is stupid right now, there's nothing you can do about being combo'd. Stay mobile, be patient.
-Off-handing the caestus lets you parry instead of using its terrible weapon art. Tight timing but it's better than nothing.
-Learn the weapons you're fighting against:
Katana users are going to try and sprint-poke you. You can parry this if you can see it coming. If they use their weapon art, you can just sprint at them to try and bait the parry or roll past them if they try to hit you. If you're not sprinting, the timing for the caestus parry on their weapon art attack is to use it when they crouch down to their lowest point.
Spear users are going to try and poke you to death. Sprint to the side, bait the poke, run in and slap, get away. Hit and run tactics. If they're the spinning kind, bait it, stay away, roll into the last spin, R2 uppercut, get out.
Greatswords users are going to make you their bitch, but they're more often than not wearing the pee-pants so it evens out. Stay mobile. If you don't stagger them on the first hit, get the gently caress out. They get to use poise and you don't, so there's nothing you can do to break through their hyper armor and they need to hit you a lot less than you need to hit them. Do not try to parry them (unless they're using one of the dex greatswords). These guys will be your biggest problem.
Straightsword/Thrusting sword users are generally of lower quality stock and lesser class, but they can be a problem since they've gotten really good at just mashing R1 through the entire game. You will be swiped 7 times by a dark sword. your only options here are hit and run or to try and roll through all of their poo poo. Do not try to trade. Pretty easy to parry since they're generally really dumb but poking weapons have double-sized hotboxes so it's not safe to try and get them. They've also generally invested a lot of points into vigor because they'e bad at the game so fighting them is going to be a slog.
Axe/Scythe/Whatever users are generally pretty simple since those weapons take a little finesse to use, which means (like your own weapons) they're not nearly as good as the alternatives listed above. They can be weird sometimes. be patient, hit and run, punish their inevitable big dumb useless move that is the reason no one ever uses these weapons.
Magic users (including faith and pyros) need to be baited into using their spells and then you run up and punch them in the dick. These will usually be straight/thrusting sword users, so head's up.
Shield babies need different mindsets depending on their shield type. The types are "Parrying" and "Not Parrying". You will eat Not Parrying shields for breakfast. This is the moment you've been training for. Get your kicks out. Parrying shields can be rough because of your range, you've just got to learn to bait that parry. Get them on the defense, run up to them, pause, and then attack once their animation is playing. Works every time.

e: also if you don't mind some fire shenanigans, the demon fists are so cool. You can break most people's blocks with the spinny-winny-slam-a-ninny if you have the knight-slayer ring on, and it's unparryable. The rest of the moveset is pretty much the same but you'll be doing fire damage on top of physical and it uses a little more stamina.

e2: OH one more important piece of information that I just remembered because I just beat a fool by doing it:

-The double-tap is generally less useful than the backhand BUT if you're chasing after a roller, and you use the sprinting combination punch in the middle of their roll, the second hit will connect. Excellent wait to punish cowards.

I haven't tried the Caestus yet because it seemed super lackluster, but doesn't it have the same Weapon Art as the Mace, Black Knight Sword, etc that basically gives you about three seconds of reduced damage taken and super high deflection for enemy attacks?
I saw a video of somebody using the Mace and wrecking up on people with that weapon art, but again I haven't tried it myself.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tykero posted:

I haven't tried the Caestus yet because it seemed super lackluster, but doesn't it have the same Weapon Art as the Mace, Black Knight Sword, etc that basically gives you about three seconds of reduced damage taken and super high deflection for enemy attacks?
I saw a video of somebody using the Mace and wrecking up on people with that weapon art, but again I haven't tried it myself.

It does, yes. It's got a small cast time, though, which generally signals your intentions. Intelligent players will usually watch for it and either prepare a parry or roll away until it's finished.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

poptart_fairy posted:

Ugh, torn between using NK's soul for the weapon or the miracle trophy. I dread the idea of fighting himin NG+

If you want all the trophys good news: you need to fight him on ng++ to get all the rings anyway!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Gologle posted:

Is anybody else noticing these regulations/patches are coming out extremely fast? I don't remember too much of vanilla DS2 and nothing at all about DS1, was this the case there?

There were plenty of patches for both of them, http://darksouls.wikidot.com/game-patches

RIP dragon butts September - November 2011
RIP Captain America shield too but I don't recall if that was the same patch
RIP bottomless box
RIP dragon vomit

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Giant Isopod posted:

If you want all the trophys good news: you need to fight him on ng++ to get all the rings anyway!

Just noticed all rings is an achievement I'm missing, you just gave me incentive to take my SL160 character on a third playthrough!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I have never once noticed the deflection on the caestus, not a single time. Nothing you do with the caestus gives you any amount of hyper armor. I'm not sure if the other weapons do, but I've never been able to do anything but get staggered by light weapons even with the effect active.

The armor is okay but it's generally not enough to save you from whatever's going to happen when you try to poise through an attack.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Vermain posted:

It does, yes. It's got a small cast time, though, which generally signals your intentions. Intelligent players will usually watch for it and either prepare a parry or roll away until it's finished.

The way I saw it used was in reaction to an opponent's attacks, sort of like a wider window parry. Their weapon would get deflected, Perseverance-user would take a small amount of damage and counterattack for a higher value trade. Seems niche and altogether probably not worth it for the lower damage-per-hit of the Caestus, now that I consider it. What a shame.

Edit: Caestus version is apparently just worse than other Perseverance weapon arts for some reason? C'mon From

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Giant Isopod posted:

.._:negative:

Spear it is.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They would have been much better off with a weapon art like the demon fists, a spin that isn't very good on its own but has its uses (punishing parry attempts, shield-busting)

Or even just the defense boost but slightly better.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tykero posted:

The way I saw it used was in reaction to an opponent's attacks, sort of like a wider window parry. Their weapon would get deflected, Perseverance-user would take a small amount of damage and counterattack for a higher value trade. Seems niche and altogether probably not worth it for the lower damage-per-hit of the Caestus, now that I consider it. What a shame.

Maybe the Caestus has a different one, or it's Poise-dependent, but all it seems to do is increase absorption (about 35%) and give you max hyper armor on all of your attacks, without any increase in deflection.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Even if it does work out how you want, with how low damage the caestus are you're probably going even after trading like that, with heavier weapons you're coming out behind guaranteed.
Man, this idea is working out great for finishing people, especially those with slower weapons. Oh hey he's gonna sprint attack me with his slowass halberd I'll punish him, and then they get punched in the face and die.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 27, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The hyper armor thing just doesn't seem to be working if that's what its supposed to do. I'm recording my testing of the move now, I'm clearly getting clobbered out of attacks by the dudes you fight in the beginning of the game while I'm still glowy

But yeah at the end of the day, the damage of the caestus is so low it's just not worth using over rolling out of the way. Everything that you could want to use it on is going to outdamage you and it's not going to be worth the trade.

poo poo straight swords and poking weapons can just keep spamming and hit you once your animation ends lmao

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 27, 2016

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
While we're talking about spinning weapon arts, it's a good time to mention that most of the weapon arts in that style are best utilized after an R1 hit confirm, because they'll allow you to hit the full combo against somebody without letting them escape due to the way hitstun works, and will generally do more damage than R1-R1. It differs between weapons a bit, though. My current favorite, the Exile Greatsword, benefits from this quite well. R1 - L2 - R2 is inescapable after the R1 connects, and does over a thousand damage against most targets with my quality build. It's essential for surviving ganksquads when invading to be able to kill or nearly kill a target with one combo. Use a weapon good for punishing panic rolls in your offhand slots, like a Katana or Curved Sword of some variety, to finish off resilient targets before they can take a sippy.

Edit: More random tech - punish R1 spammers if they catch you by just parrying shortly after their second R1. You'll escape the hitstun right about the perfect time to start a parry. It works like a setup parry basically. If your build has a heavy weapon + hornet ring this is a great way to instantly end ganks.

People probably already know this stuff but it bears repeating because it does wonders for improving the PvP experience against "cheap" tactics.

Tykero fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 27, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Alright so after some testing, I've loaded up on poise and here's what I've found:

Still useless.

It technically works, though, which is nice. You can persevere through most attacks and then attack immediately after, and after a certain poise threshold you might even get some hyper armor!

But it doesn't matter, because by the time you've struck back with your hyper armored attack, you've been hit twice already, and the effect doesn't last long enough to get you through a third hit. Maybe if the caestus did like twice as much damage or had an A or B scaling right off the bat it would be better but you're going to lose 100% of the time.

The only time I can see it being useful is if you're fighting a really defensive dude with low health and you have the health advantage and he can't kill you in two hits and he also doesn't know how perseverance works.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've just got the second coiled sword fragment. Is this area a dead end and is there any reason not to trade it?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I beat the Dancer last night and then tried to help some people out with co-op afterwards. Two things: I think the fight is actually easier solo, because she is more predictable, and her 360 attacks nullify the advantage that multiple people usually have against bosses. She also hits like a truck, and giving her more HP extends the fight and increases the chances that she'll catch you with a nasty combo that'll end it.

I kept running into a problem where I'd get summoned, and then immediately sent back to my world because of a connection error. I don't think this was anything on my end, because I immediately went over to the Aldrich covenant area afterwards and didn't have any problems invading anyone. Is there something buggy about summoning in this area?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

net cafe scandal posted:

Lmfao... Gona repost this in the IZ.

I know the music is familiar, but can't place where I heard it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M

It's a Jojo reference

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jose posted:

I've just got the second coiled sword fragment. Is this area a dead end and is there any reason not to trade it?

Check where irina should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tykero posted:

Use a weapon good for punishing panic rolls in your offhand slots, like a Katana or Curved Sword of some variety, to finish off resilient targets before they can take a sippy.

What's the "standard" way of punishing panic rolls, with, say, an Uchi? The weapon art R1?