Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

alcharagia posted:

Help I've made 40,000,000 CP this session and counting

Not enough. Keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

God I love this game so much. This is really the sequel FF5 deserves in every way, from the comedy cartoon tone of the characters and story to the job system taking everything FF job systems did good by mistake, focusing in on them, and making them mechanically deep in a good way.

BTW is Cat Mage worth using? Those items are actually kinda expensive early on, like 250 pg a use but a new spell costs 500 pg or so.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Hammer makes Summoning do 9999 without hitting a weakness until right about when you get Patissier, which will last you until you get Rain.

It's Spellcraft, not Time Magic. Meteor is just the most obvious problem with it. Apparently Wizards were even more broken in early testing (according to an answer they gave about game balance at the PAX East panel) to the point where you didn't need any other job to finish the entire game, but I can't imagine how that'd be.
Makes sense because the base wizard spells are not that great eventually and quickly get outdated, you need to combine it with something else to stay good. I imagine initially spirit magic had like, Ra/Ga versions in which case every other mage becomes useless.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is the spooky ghost asterisk any good at all.

The description on what it does is kind of flying over my head and it kinda sounds stupid and useless despite looking cool.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

God I love this game so much. This is really the sequel FF5 deserves in every way, from the comedy cartoon tone of the characters and story to the job system taking everything FF job systems did good by mistake, focusing in on them, and making them mechanically deep in a good way.

BTW is Cat Mage worth using? Those items are actually kinda expensive early on, like 250 pg a use but a new spell costs 500 pg or so.

Catmancer isn't awful but it can be a bit of a nuisance to use effectively. White Wind is a great healing ability, especially since most of the actual spellcasting classes have low AGI making them less than ideal for emergency healing. Vigor Tonic is available fairly early on if you can get your Catmancer to job level 8 and is basically a One More For You that costs items instead of MP, which also has its uses. The rest of its skills are pretty situational and you'll probably need to have your Catmancer spam four Digs in most random battles to collect enough items to use them regularly.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The description on what it does is kind of flying over my head and it kinda sounds stupid and useless despite looking cool.

If you mean Guardian, it has two main gimmicks. The first is taking control of enemies, letting you use their abilities instead of your own while also preventing them from attacking you for the duration of the effect. You can also use it to possess allies instead but that's usually a bad idea unless you have some specific reason for it. The second gimmick is building up soul power by taking hits and using it to power offensive abilities, basically making you into a tank that can do some damage. I didn't find it to be an amazingly powerful class, but it's interesting.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 27, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Guardian is a cool class and I like it also it is very burly and hard for Guardians to die. If you need a tank I recommend it maybe with Bushido or Piracy as a secondary skillset. Help I am almost to 66,000,000 CP. Help

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

alcharagia posted:

Guardian is a cool class and I like it also it is very burly and hard for Guardians to die. If you need a tank I recommend it maybe with Bushido or Piracy as a secondary skillset. Help I am almost to 66,000,000 CP. Help

There's a title for getting 100 million. You can do it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I used it a bunch. Mostly to possess allies because it can basically double hp and damage and having over 9999 hp is always good. Also, if a person being possessed died the Guardian comes back with 1 hp, which has saved my rear end a bunch of times when a boss or enemy braves themselves to nothing to get off a combo that annihilates the party. So it often gave me one last chance to revive my party after almost losing.

But I am absolutely terrible at the game and if you're using any actual game-breaking strats it probably won't find a place on the team.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
chompcrafting is going to destroy my entire life

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Guardian was okay at getting the Cat Masteries for me, but that's about it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i'm great at making idiotic decisions so i gave tiz two bloody shields and piracy and he will now take all of the hits

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Why Piracy?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
provoke, mostly

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like that the owl dudes are still helpful even though I picked the other asterisk.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Makes sense because the base wizard spells are not that great eventually and quickly get outdated, you need to combine it with something else to stay good. I imagine initially spirit magic had like, Ra/Ga versions in which case every other mage becomes useless.

If you get enough JP so everyone learns Dig, you can go to outside the first town and spam the hell out of it with autobattle and as far as I can tell, you can get everything from battles round there. And make a ton of cash.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
update: lol tiz is so burly that he's taking 0 damage from every attack

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

About to wrap up chapter 3, but before I do I want to complete the Catmancy section. Is there anywhere I can find Rock Storm or Stardust prior to chapter 4+?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Rangpur posted:

About to wrap up chapter 3, but before I do I want to complete the Catmancy section. Is there anywhere I can find Rock Storm or Stardust prior to chapter 4+?

No, but also you can leave the Skyhold in the middle of Chapter 4. You know, FYI.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

McDragon posted:

I like that the owl dudes are still helpful even though I picked the other asterisk.

Oh yeah, I forgot to get the Katanas from them. I mean, I have all of them already, but still. :v:

I wonder what the deal with the Anchorites is, anyway. We don't get a lot of lore on the Summons from Bravely Default, aside from where they come from.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rangpur posted:

The enemies with them don't spawn until Chapter 5, so feel free.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder what the deal with the Anchorites is, anyway. We don't get a lot of lore on the Summons from Bravely Default, aside from where they come from.

S-splendid!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
As far as I can tell someone put up one of those posters with the tearaway tabs in the chompcrafting village's coffee shop saying 'WANTED: Magical souls with a spirit of adventure to represent aeons old entities of unimaginable might. Travel stipend included, no heavy lifting (unless you're Charybdis or Amaterasu)"

I like how all the summons are weird and technological (well, except for ziusudra's sin)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wait, what do the owls do if you pick Swordmaster?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
They go "will you gently caress off if i give you a free katana" and then give you a free katana.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

alcharagia posted:

They go "will you gently caress off if i give you a free katana" and then give you a free katana.
Holy poo poo, that's awesome. Can you do it in Chapter 5 if you pick Summoner first?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm amused at the chapter 5 twist but I feel it could of been handled better than (chapter 4 ending spoilers) Yew literally turning to the camera and going HEY PLAYER. SURELY THERE'S A WAY TO GO BACK TO THE START OF THE GAME HUH? CAN YOU THINK OF A WAY? SURELY THERE'S SOME WAY TO GIVE US A SECOND CHANCE... A BRAVELY... SECOND. *NG+ unlocks*

For some reason that scene didn't trigger till I left Anchiem

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Holy poo poo, that's awesome. Can you do it in Chapter 5 if you pick Summoner first?

Maybe, but unless they give you better katanas, they're pretty useless at that point.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Are summons easier to survive this time around? I remember having to tweak my character builds just so one person could survive them back in Bravely Default. Here I can just talk to the Acolytes and get the summons without too much trouble.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Are summons easier to survive this time around? I remember having to tweak my character builds just so one person could survive them back in Bravely Default. Here I can just talk to the Acolytes and get the summons without too much trouble.

They are way easier. You can basically survive just with default gear.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm amused at the chapter 5 twist but I feel it could of been handled better than (chapter 4 ending spoilers) Yew literally turning to the camera and going HEY PLAYER. SURELY THERE'S A WAY TO GO BACK TO THE START OF THE GAME HUH? CAN YOU THINK OF A WAY? SURELY THERE'S SOME WAY TO GIVE US A SECOND CHANCE... A BRAVELY... SECOND. *NG+ unlocks*

For some reason that scene didn't trigger till I left Anchiem

Considering there are people who still miss it, eh.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh my god the fight against Yoko is incredible and the reason I say this is of course because of Ringabel's lovely one-liners and mugging for the camera

that loving owned

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Summons are waaaay easier to survive. I don't think I ever saw any do over three digits in damage.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I smacked a cat girl with the ice summon hammer two times and she dropped from full HP to 0 instantly. I don't think I was meant to have this much power so early. :stare:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Now combine it with Good Measure. :getin:

Meanwhile, "Is this the end... for progressive taxation...?" This game. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, the defeat quotes for the Eternian Forces tend to lean towards either funny or depressing.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terper posted:

Considering there are people who still miss it, eh.

im dumb and should not be held as the standard

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cake Attack posted:

im dumb and should not be held as the standard
I missed it because I expected to just attack him for damage because I had all these levels held over from the first cycle but NOPE THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS

(it was a reasonably clever twist but no matter how much you telegraph it or fail to do so people will either think it's too much or too little)

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
In the first game you just randomly get villagers sometimes but I haven't gotten any yet so I just have the 5 from finishing the demo. Is it all streetpass only this time?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Can't wait to go to Florem and attend prestigious FAPP.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(it was a reasonably clever twist but no matter how much you telegraph it or fail to do so people will either think it's too much or too little)

It was loving epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

In the first game you just randomly get villagers sometimes but I haven't gotten any yet so I just have the 5 from finishing the demo. Is it all streetpass only this time?

You get 5 every day from "update data" on the save menu

• Locked thread