Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, Riddler just proved beyond a shadow of the doubt he is the best villain in this game.

I mean, the Arkham Knight didn't build that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Fun fact. All three of the grinder traps, you can dodge just by jumping to the ceiling and letting them pass.

I didn't even you could stay on the ground and dodge them til NG+

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Fun fact. All three of the grinder traps, you can dodge just by jumping to the ceiling and letting them pass.

I didn't even you could stay on the ground and dodge them til NG+

Like Catwoman said, it's just fun to dodge the blades.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The sad thing is if Batman admitted to Selina who he really is, could he bribe her into not stealing? Like would she accept Bruce making elaborate fake museums for her to take poo poo from or pay her a big wage to be a superhero? Or is the part of stealing other people's poo poo the part she really likes? She's still trying to get Batman to be bad with her and even hinting at something more, but thankfully this game isn't as bad as DC comic that slash pages to the outright act. This isn't a Bioware or TellTale game -- not yet, anyway.

And Batman wasn't exactly cold on that delivery. How exactly do you explain to someone that they killed their wife after transforming into a giant bat?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Crabtree posted:

The sad thing is if Batman admitted to Selina who he really is, could he bribe her into not stealing? Like would she accept Bruce making elaborate fake museums for her to take poo poo from or pay her a big wage to be a superhero? Or is the part of stealing other people's poo poo the part she really likes? She's still trying to get Batman to be bad with her and even hinting at something more, but thankfully this game isn't as bad as DC comic that slash pages to the outright act. This isn't a Bioware or TellTale game -- not yet, anyway.

And Batman wasn't exactly cold on that delivery. How exactly do you explain to someone that they killed their wife after transforming into a giant bat?

Well for one you could point out that the bat monster seems to have been functionally a different person given his lack of memories of being a bat monster. If he wasn't the monster then he didn't kill her, and while it's still a tragic pointless death, that's probably easier for the man to handle than having literally murdered her by hand/claw/bat.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Man, the Riddler and the Joker hallucinations are the only times this game is allowing itself to have any loving fun. It's nice to see at least someone remembered that this is a superhero game and not some Frank Miller grimdark crime melodrama.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Crabtree posted:

The sad thing is if Batman admitted to Selina who he really is, could he bribe her into not stealing? Like would she accept Bruce making elaborate fake museums for her to take poo poo from or pay her a big wage to be a superhero? Or is the part of stealing other people's poo poo the part she really likes? She's still trying to get Batman to be bad with her and even hinting at something more, but thankfully this game isn't as bad as DC comic that slash pages to the outright act.

The best explanation I've gotten for their dynamic when it stalls at the point they are now is that there is a huge personal leap from Catwoman/Batman being a thing to Selina/Bruce being a thing. With the masks on, they're in a somewhat stable - and dare I say it - psychologically healthy relationship. Moving from that to Bruce/Selina means that control freak Batman has to let go his own self-control, while Catwoman would find that as Selina, she would be given the attention she wants, removing one of the needs she has to put on the costume and go rob someplace - she could stop being a criminal.

In a game full of Bad Bat-Decisions, this one isn't one of them. Batman straight up tells her that he can't give her the attention she wants because Scarecrow has priority. And Catwoman doesn't give him poo poo for it. If you took off the mask, this is the equivalent to Selina asking Bruce out on a date, but Bruce apologizing by pointing to the stack of paperwork on his desk, with the implicit promise of later.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crabtree posted:

He's certainly the first black superhero of D.C. and a better loving strategist than Hal ever was. Unlike the air force fly boy that got lucky in meeting an alien cop with a magic ring, John not only knew how to kill and how to fight, but with his ability as an architect has the personal flair of being able to see all the intricate little parts of his ring projections working as a real functional object. If he conjured up like a LMG, you'd see the correct screws being used in the grip or stable current wiring if it was a giant robot arm.

Hal Jordan would conjure up something goofy like a giant boxing glove jack-in-the-box.
Guy Gardner, being like a hop and a skip away from Red Lantern, just makes the biggest blunt object his machismo can fart out of his head.
Kyle Rayner, being an artist, is a little bit more fantastic in his ideas as he shares an attention to detail with John.

But when John Stewart makes something out ring energy, he makes as if it was made of real matter.

EDIT: Oh right, I keep forgetting about Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz.

Simon, once being an actual criminal because it was the only way to survive, is a little vicious in his ring projections. Cannot catch a break from terrorism subplots.

Jessica Cruz is a little bit crazy as she uses the Ring of Volthoom and has PTSD from watching all her friends get killed. A goddamn evil Green Lantern Ring that feeds off personal fears and can easily kill you from the inside out. What the gently caress is it with New 52 and cursed artifacts?

Oh, I just want to be clear, I'm not talking about him like he's the first one ever in comic books to be like that. I'm just saying he's probably the first character I knew about who was also in the military even if I didn't realize it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

It might have been more tactful to wait until the guy wasn't a recently retransformed nervous wreck. Just give the dude a sleeping pill or something and tell him in the morning.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
It's kinda a completely different situation, but Bats definitely could have been softer.

Like in the JLU ending where Bruce-Bats comforts a dying Ace(not dog).

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

PhazonLink posted:

It's kinda a completely different situation, but Bats definitely could have been softer.

Yeah,that's one of my favorite JLU moments. Besides World of Cardboard and Flash VS Lexiac .

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I dug Catwoman constantly goving Riddler poo poo for the lack of riddles.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
"I'm sorry, Kirk. The developers needed that extra pathos that only comes from deadly consequences. How dare you attempt to solve one of the world's great problems, and make an unequalled leap forward in related research, in a way that minimises or eliminates risk to other living beings?! You need to be shown the error of your ways, you dirty idealist."

The Riddler stuff was so much more fun than the Manbat sequence. The Catwoman jibes were great, Batman sarcastically responding "You just don't get [the riddle] yet," the saw blade banter, all good stuff. Plus, it's great that he finally decided "Okay, fine, if you're allowed brute force answers, I am too!"

It's just a shame he forgot that he left Catwoman there with a grudge. That boss fight would have turned out very differently if he said "Miss Kyle, if you leave myself and my arch nemesis to our grand battle, I will give you the location of an entire archaeological dig's worth of artefacts from a shrine to the cat goddess Bast."

Or, y'know, if he'd just not let go of her head, and instead pulverised her into the floor with his giant mech suit.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PhazonLink posted:

DCAU Batman had tons of moments like this. Conroy can definitely do a compassionate Batman, and there were times in the animated series where he was really taken aback and let his Bruce voice slip, or vice versa.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The animated series had a Batman who cared about his villains and that's one of the interpretations of how you can take his no kill rule. That he wants to believe they are people that can be sympathized and reasoned with, that they aren't all problems that simply need to be put down like the Joker. They even had another character introduced in the cartoon that went into the main DCU like Harley Quin, Lyle Bolton AKA Lock-Up, who symbolized the blood crazed Punisher that Batman could be if he lacked any empathy at all and quickly becomes disgusted with Batman for not sharing his specific zeal. "YOU ACTUALLY CARE FOR THESE FREAKS?!"

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
I'll admit that I didn't realize you could have Catwoman stand on the blocks to lock them down. I ended up just quickfiring the REC to make the blocks bind up in the physics engine to solve the puzzle. It took me a really long time and I never understood why the blades went back and forth after each solution.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So are you going to show the two secret things about Kirk? I personally only learnt about them by looking him up and they're rather easy to miss.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Crabtree posted:

Jessica Cruz is a little bit crazy as she uses the Ring of Volthoom and has PTSD from watching all her friends get killed. A goddamn evil Green Lantern Ring that feeds off personal fears and can easily kill you from the inside out. What the gently caress is it with New 52 and cursed artifacts?

Was that or was that not Power Ring (evil alternate universe Green Lantern)'s, ring?

PhazonLink posted:

I didn't see anyone else point this out, so I'll give it a shot. Batman is not trying to comfort Langstrom. He's trying to justify his own imminent behavior. "It's not your fault. It was the Joker Blood that made you do something crazy. Yeah, you killed a guy, but that wasn't you."

In a weird way, Batman is confronting "Crazy, destructive, murderous, 'Bat-man'"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Sorry if I missed it, but are we ever going to get to this cult guy?

Now the thugs on the street are dropping references to him as well.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Sorry if I missed it, but are we ever going to get to this cult guy?

Now the thugs on the street are dropping references to him as well.

I'm guessing he'll get caught right after we find the last corpse the game spawns. Which given the way Ryder's interludes at GCPD are linked to it probably won't happen until close to endgame.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

CzarChasm posted:

Was that or was that not Power Ring (evil alternate universe Green Lantern)'s, ring?

I didn't see anyone else point this out, so I'll give it a shot. Batman is not trying to comfort Langstrom. He's trying to justify his own imminent behavior. "It's not your fault. It was the Joker Blood that made you do something crazy. Yeah, you killed a guy, but that wasn't you."

In a weird way, Batman is confronting "Crazy, destructive, murderous, 'Bat-man'"

Yeah, it seems to be the ring of the now dead Power Ring, who turns out to be possessed by Volthoom the First Lantern. So not only is she a transplant from Earth-3, the evil earth, but she's stuck with a sadistic ring that can access more power than any Lantern on top of The Guardians of the Universe loving around with Volthoom to create The Third Army -- a race of infectious mutants who will transform all life into obedient and unfeeling slaves. Because after loving up with The Manhunters they couldn't trust machines to bring order to the Universe, and after The Sinestro Corps War (Sinestro creates his own Lantern corps and goes to war with the Green Lanterns), The War of Light (TURNS OUT THERE'S AN ENTIRE EMOTIONAL SPECTRUM AND poo poo GETS EVEN MORE CRAZY BETWEEN AT LEAST 7 DIFFERENT EMOTION CORPS), Blackest Night (Undead black lanterns trying to kill all life) and The War of Green Lanterns (A goddamn civil war within the corps spurned by Krona the not blue dwarf of the Guardians) they couldn't trust sapient life or free will to protect itself. So they decided to take away the sapient part to bring about total universal order.

But if that's not loving enough, these things are powered by again the First Lantern, an ancient earthling who was given the First Ring that had access to all emotions, back when the Maltusians had even less of an idea of what they were doing and he got drunk on that power until he was imprisoned in the Chamber of Shadows, super duper space jail inside of a black hole, for thousands of years. Except now he keeps finding ways to break out and just gently caress with lives because he just likes hurting other people.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 28, 2016

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Is there a comicsplot.txt somewhere in BSS? Because I feel like this should be high-ish on that list. Everything involving the Lantern Corps always sounds loving nutter.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If there's anything you can take away from the Green Lanterns plot its that the Guardians are the worst at everything.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

fool_of_sound posted:

Man, the Riddler and the Joker hallucinations are the only times this game is allowing itself to have any loving fun. It's nice to see at least someone remembered that this is a superhero game and not some Frank Miller grimdark crime melodrama.

This framework could work well for a Spider-Man game. Webswinging instead of grapple, spider sense replacing detective vision, no Batmobile because Spidey's a New Yorker and never learned how to drive...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Jessica Cruz is a little bit crazy as she uses the Ring of Volthoom and has PTSD from watching all her friends get killed.

Also she's related to the Zodiac Killer so she probably doesn't have a whole lot of supportive relatives to rely on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Is there a comicsplot.txt somewhere in BSS?

Actually yes there is! Join us and read up on (or post about) some of the most batty poo poo that's ever happened in comics or perhaps print media as a whole!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bruceski posted:

This framework could work well for a Spider-Man game. Webswinging instead of grapple, spider sense replacing detective vision, no Batmobile because Spidey's a New Yorker and never learned how to drive...
I have some bad news for you.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Crabtree posted:

She just has to steal, just like Riddler makes riddles and the Joker makes jokes. The intensity of this need varies from version to version, but she doesn't do it just for the money, but the challenge. And it's something cat-related? That's even more of a reason to steal it. She's not as bad as Magpie, who straight out resorts to murder to get what she wants, but there's a part of her that can't help it.

That being said, I liked the more recent versions where she's worked alongside Batman, becoming more heroic little by little. It's been shown she does have feelings for Bruce, and that they both fulfill each other's needs, but Batman always is going to put Gotham's safety above all else, and Catwoman needs the thrill that comes from breaking the law.

I did like the end of the Dark Knight Rises, with Bruce and Selina content with just being themselves and enjoying life together. :unsmith:

Yvonmukluk posted:

I have some bad news for you.

This is what happens when you give Spidey some money. He ends up wasting it in poo poo like this. :sigh:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kal-L posted:

This is what happens when you give Spidey some money. He ends up wasting it in poo poo like this. :sigh:

This isn't the first time Spider-Man had a Spider-Mobile - except the first time it ended up at the bottom at the East River, because the writer thought it was a stupid idea. And Peter was being paid to make it.

But then this is also the run where Spider-Man has his own space rocket and had him not only survive freefalling from ISS - level orbit and not only surviving, but somehow managing to successfully land exactly in the city he was aiming for.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
At least he uses it for a good reason, like to annoy JJJ by spinning brodies on the side of the Daily Bugle building

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vicissitude posted:

At least he uses it for a good reason, like to annoy JJJ by spinning brodies on the side of the Daily Bugle building

That's actually from a story written by the guy who writes the current series. How the mighty have fallen.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I genuinely didn't expect the Riddler to show up in deathhead's mech suit.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Speaking of poo poo Spider-man's had, there is a Spider-man with something much better than a car...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pyroi posted:

Speaking of poo poo Spider-man's had, there is a Spider-man with something much better than a car...

CHANGE LEOPARDON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P8BxyZddzU

Spiderman is the one true Spider-Man.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pyroi posted:

Didn't they instantly kill that off, though, undoing all the Amazing Points for calling back to it?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Didn't they instantly kill that off, though, undoing all the Amazing Points for calling back to it?

Yes, that was the plot arc of "Lets murder loving everyone spiderman loves to prove how badass our new villains are."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kurieg posted:

Yes, that was the plot arc of "Lets murder loving everyone spiderman loves to prove how badass our new villains are."

This is like, the lamest thing I've seen besides the Arkham Knight.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Why does Spiderman have a mech based off a leopard? Don't ask stupid questions and just enjoy him killing poo poo in a robot!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Crabtree posted:

Why does Spiderman have a mech based off a leopard? Don't ask stupid questions and just enjoy him killing poo poo in a robot!

Because Bandai had a previously established toy that didn't sell well, so Toei was like "Let's have Spiderman drive it" and that was a direct influence on Super Sentai and by extension Power Rangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crabtree posted:

It's mutiverse Japanese Spiderman.*

*Citation needed.

• Locked thread