Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

I just hope they aren't nerfing the Gotthard Twinswords. Like, they're very super good weapons, but they're also really fun, and I still wouldn't call them any more OP than any other straight sword so :v:

I said I was going to do a luck build but I think I might do a quality twinweapon build because they look super fun and I didn't touch them this run. I love having variety again. :allears:

e: I wonder how Hollow Drang Hammers would work out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Internet Kraken posted:

Didn't Miyazaki outright state he wasn't interested in making another Souls game or equivalent gameplay wise, which meant Bloodborne as well?

The interview made it sound like he was talking about lore / plot, not gameplay.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Internet Kraken posted:

Didn't Miyazaki outright state he wasn't interested in making another Souls game or equivalent gameplay wise, which meant Bloodborne as well?

I think he's always been pretty careful to say that Dark Souls III is the end of Dark Souls, not From making this style of game, actually (which is the right thing, IMO). I recall a pre-release interview talking about how they're interested in taking the Souls concepts to other settings (I want sci-fi Souls that plays like Bloodborne. I want it so badly).

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Giant Isopod posted:

Heavy Dark Sword is pretty op if you want something fast

Lothric Knight Greatsword has innate lightning damage already and hits like a truck

Ill second Lothric Knight Greatsword, though quick note about that weapon: Refined Infusion is actually better for a STR build than Heavy for some reason (I believe it has something to do with the non-infused version having better inherent DEX scaling?) Not going to pretend I understand how infusion works yet, but I know that one.
Dont use Dark Sword, that's a weapon for children. It's like using a wheelchair because youre lazy and not because you're crippled.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The interview made it sound like he was talking about lore / plot, not gameplay.

It really could be read both ways. I'd been interpreting it as both the settings and the Souls-like gameplay style--that he wants From to do something entirely different in all ways--but only that one GameSpot interview read that way. Everything else has been focusing on "Dark Souls is over" and a "new IP" that doesn't say anything about gameplay styles.

I'm totally ready for another game with Souls-like gameplay in a new setting, and I hope we get one sooner than later. Maybe not next year. They can take a little time between games. But, y'know, eventually.

Wagrid posted:

I think he's always been pretty careful to say that Dark Souls III is the end of Dark Souls, not From making this style of game, actually (which is the right thing, IMO). I recall a pre-release interview talking about how they're interested in taking the Souls concepts to other settings (I want sci-fi Souls that plays like Bloodborne. I want it so badly).

Would preorder in a second.

Gimme some transhumanist far-future Souls craziness.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 27, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

from is making a smash clone and its gonna have Raikoh and Cookie & Cream and Patches and Giant Dad and Patches (AC) and President Wilson and Rurufon and and and and

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

ZenVulgarity posted:

I murdered the socerer guy for his clothes though

Am I hosed until another playgthrough/NG+?

Nah, you find that spell in the archives level.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the zweihander has hyper armor on is first R1 attack lmao goddamnit

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tykero posted:

While we're talking about spinning weapon arts, it's a good time to mention that most of the weapon arts in that style are best utilized after an R1 hit confirm, because they'll allow you to hit the full combo against somebody without letting them escape due to the way hitstun works, and will generally do more damage than R1-R1. It differs between weapons a bit, though. My current favorite, the Exile Greatsword, benefits from this quite well. R1 - L2 - R2 is inescapable after the R1 connects, and does over a thousand damage against most targets with my quality build. It's essential for surviving ganksquads when invading to be able to kill or nearly kill a target with one combo. Use a weapon good for punishing panic rolls in your offhand slots, like a Katana or Curved Sword of some variety, to finish off resilient targets before they can take a sippy.

Edit: More random tech - punish R1 spammers if they catch you by just parrying shortly after their second R1. You'll escape the hitstun right about the perfect time to start a parry. It works like a setup parry basically. If your build has a heavy weapon + hornet ring this is a great way to instantly end ganks.

People probably already know this stuff but it bears repeating because it does wonders for improving the PvP experience against "cheap" tactics.

I just started using the exile GS for PvP yesterday and between this and someone recommending a washing pole secondary to finish off people trying to estus I think I'm gonna have a good time.

Babe Magnet posted:

the zweihander has hyper armor on is first R1 attack lmao goddamnit

I think most really big swords do, when 2handed at least. The exile GS and BKS definitely do.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Azazell0 posted:

Man, that mini Vordt in Grand Archives is super tough. He just keeps on attacking, and his attacks are so fast AND he's got some range. It's like he's got no stamina meter to worry about at all. I'm currently stuck on him.

From gives all NPCs unlimited stamia and unlimited bullets. :ssh: They call it difficulty. :ssh:

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Vermain posted:

What's the "standard" way of punishing panic rolls, with, say, an Uchi? The weapon art R1?

When someone is panic rolling, you want to get right up in their grill (sprint until you're very close to them, then walk right up on them as they go). Most people play at 60~69% encumbrance, so their rolls are relatively short, and you can mostly keep up without using too much stamina sprinting. This makes them continue to panic roll, which is good. Katanas and Curved Swords are great for punishing panic rolls because their dashing R1 comes out fast and has a gratuitous hitbox. You want to time your attack so that it lands as the panic roller is roughly upside down, poking their butt while they're on their head, basically, as they begin to reorient to being rightside up. It takes a bit of practice, but once you've got the timing down it's actually quite easy. If your opponent doesn't try to juke you (and almost none do), you can reliably hit them every second roll, which is enough to finish off most players with an appropriately upgraded and scaled weapon. I personally use a Washing Pole for the extra reach, but other good choices are the Darkdrift or Uchigatana (for their low weight), Falchion (high base damage and scaling, decent reach), Storm Curved Sword (reach), and Painting Guardian Sword (super light, some bleed buildup if you're a bleed build, but low base damage and reach). I recommend experimenting and finding what works best for you.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Harrow posted:

It really could be read both ways. I'd been interpreting it as both the settings and the Souls-like gameplay style--that he wants From to do something entirely different in all ways--but only that one GameSpot interview read that way. Everything else has been focusing on "Dark Souls is over" and a "new IP" that doesn't say anything about gameplay styles.

I'm totally ready for another game with Souls-like gameplay in a new setting, and I hope we get one sooner than later. Maybe not next year. They can take a little time between games. But, y'know, eventually.

I've never wanted something so hard in my life. :qq:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

From gives all NPCs unlimited stamia and unlimited bullets. :ssh: They call it difficulty. :ssh:

Not true, actually, DS3's NPC enemies do incorporate it. It's the trick to beating Havel in the Archdragon Peak - he loves to bust loose two-handed combos that can take your life from full to zero, but at the end he's so fatigued that a single swing is enough to knock him into riposte status if he's guarding.

The Outrider Knights aren't NPC's, though. More like frosty armored werewolves.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think I've decided on drang hammers and other fun twin weapons. How should I allocate my stats? just aim 40/40 str/dex? How much FP should I shoot for if I want to spin to win?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So I started out as an Assassin last night and I've made some headway, although I'm looking for a decent longsword to replace the starter thrusting sword I've started with.

1) Is there a decent straight sword (besides the shortsword from the shop lady) to be found relatively early?

2) I've also found a prisoner in a cell somewhere along the Wall of Lothric but I haven't managed to find the key to the cell. Is it to be found in the same area or will I find it later on along the plot?

3) I've also seen several messages about secret door but I've haven't managed to break one open with my weapon. Do I need some special item to accomplish this or are these just assholes trying to be funny?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Azazell0 posted:

Man, that mini Vordt in Grand Archives is super tough. He just keeps on attacking, and his attacks are so fast AND he's got some range. It's like he's got no stamina meter to worry about at all. I'm currently stuck on him.

You can also cheese him by running to the elevator. He will fall down the shaft, just make sure he makes it through the door before you hop on.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I think I've decided on drang hammers and other fun twin weapons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8_015EKDlY

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

RBA Starblade posted:

I think I've decided on drang hammers and other fun twin weapons. How should I allocate my stats? just aim 40/40 str/dex? How much FP should I shoot for if I want to spin to win?

If you're going to two-hand, there's no reason to take your STR above 27 (or 22 with the STR ring), because you'll the 50% scaling boost.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If/when From makes another Souls-style game, I hope they experiment with different methods of character progression. I like obsessing over each individual stat point as much as the next insufferable nerdlord, but I wouldn't mind a system that's less... granular and fiddly but still offers the same amount of meaningful choices and variety.

Then again I think I'd go nuts for a Souls-type game with an FF5/Tactics/Bravely Default class system where you level up individual classes and can mix and match your active and passive skills.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 349 days!
i found havel

he's got some new tricks

help

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I've never wanted something so hard in my life. :qq:
The funny thing about that picture is that the original (somewhere on DeviantArt) didn't have the various HUD elements ala Bloodborne. But after someone commented that the shot looked like something from a Souls game, the artist agreed and retouched the image to what you see now.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind something in that sort of vein. Honestly there's already a fair bit of material to pull from with things like Eclipse Phase and the Takeshi Kovacs novels which both feature "cortical stacks" as a mechanism for literally backing up one's mind in real time. I'm guessing that other works out there probably do similar things, but I've not read heavily into that scene.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
Is luck the new worthless/nearly worthless stat or is there a good reason to invest in it?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sylphosaurus posted:

So I started out as an Assassin last night and I've made some headway, although I'm looking for a decent longsword to replace the starter thrusting sword I've started with.

1) Is there a decent straight sword (besides the shortsword from the shop lady) to be found relatively early?

Broad sword, 10 str 10 dex - room with the cell key in the high wall.

Deep(dark damage) axe, 12 str 10 dex? - first mimic.

Astoria straight sword 10 str 10 dex - room with the cell key in the high wall.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love that you can apparently put the Sharp infusion on blunt weapons this time, unlike Demon's Souls. And that the Great Club gets A Dex scaling when you make it Sharp.

What are you doing, sticking nails through it and twirling it around?

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

I just started using the exile GS for PvP yesterday and between this and someone recommending a washing pole secondary to finish off people trying to estus I think I'm gonna have a good time.

I think most really big swords do, when 2handed at least. The exile GS and BKS definitely do.

I'm using basically that exact build. Refine Exile GS primary, Refine Washing Pole offhand, quality 40/40 build with 40 endurance, 15 faith 14 attunement (to run Second Chance, it's worth it), Simple Target Shield on my back for infinite weapon arts and parrying when needed.
30 Poise between my armor and Wolf Ring. Ring of Favor, Cloranthy, and Hornet rings as well.

It's very close to a build that Oro was running a few days ago on stream (with some personal modifications for preference) and I've had quite a bit of success with it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

il serpente cosmico posted:

If you're going to two-hand, there's no reason to take your STR above 27 (or 22 with the STR ring), because you'll the 50% scaling boost.

Hm, maybe 27/something, make it heavy, and just pump hp, fp, and stamina then. Toss a few points into int or faith just for a weapon buff if I really want to.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Sylphosaurus posted:

2) I've also found a prisoner in a cell somewhere along the Wall of Lothric but I haven't managed to find the key to the cell. Is it to be found in the same area or will I find it later on along the plot?

3) I've also seen several messages about secret door but I've haven't managed to break one open with my weapon. Do I need some special item to accomplish this or are these just assholes trying to be funny?

Long sword, broadsword, lothric knight sword and astora straight sword are all in high wall and are good.

The key is in a slightly different area.

There's only two illusory walks before Catacombs. One in fire link and one in Farron keep. Basically people troll a lot with messages.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd say just pick one of either str or dex (probably str if you're going with hammers) and only raise the other to the minimum requirement for the weapon, then infuse heavy/sharp to take advantage of the primary stat. I don't know exactly how the scaling compares - 40/40 on a normal weapon is PROBABLY more than say, 40 str on a heavy weapon, but the difference is likely pretty negligible and you'd get more mileage putting those levels into other stats.

Obviously this doesn't apply if you're using a weapon that can't be infused, but I think the only non-standard twin weapons are the ones you get from boss souls.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Is luck the new worthless/nearly worthless stat or is there a good reason to invest in it?

If you're doing a bleed build it affects either build up or total damage. Either way the Warden blades, Knightslayer Torg's ring, and the ring that increases damage thru persistent damage is a near guaranteed bleedout just thru the normal r1 hit combo according to my friend.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Einwand posted:

Pretty sure if you put that thing in your bonfire box it'll stop counting towards your matchmaking.

I've only heard the opposite, that even outright deleting the item won't stop you from matchmaking with whatever your highest upgrade level ever was. So I've screwed myself back into being in the same spot, which is why I remade my original character in the first place. It's hard to learn how to PVP when people 2 or 3 shot you while you do maybe 10% of their life per hit.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Harrow posted:

Even this fan art is making me slightly giddy - the real thing would probably be bad for my health.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

99 luck is already a very real build apparently, considering there is an infusion as well as unique straight sword that scales well with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish From made their pvp/matchmaking systems more clear so there wasn't so much goddamn hearsay involved in figuring out what makes them tick. Yeah I get it, leaving the players to work out the intricacies is Dark Souls' thing and all, but boy is it annoying in the interim between the game coming out and that happening.

edit: With a hollow weapon and lots of luck and/or carthus rouge, certain weapons trigger bleed on 2 hits even if the opponent is blocking. Bleed builds get very powerful.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

il serpente cosmico posted:

This isn't quite true, partially due to the fact that twin weapons do not receive the strength bonus when dual wielded (even though the strength requirement is reduced as you would expect), and partially due to the weird humps Strength scaling gets that means that when two-handing you can actually get significant damage gains by going all the way up to 66 strength on certain weapons.

But yeah if you're budgeting hard on stat points for a low level character, 27 str is a good stopping point for a 2h weapon build.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
The fun part about the Consumed King's Garden is

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Melanion posted:

The fun part about the Consumed King's Garden is

summoning Hawkwood and letting him go to town while you kick back with some Sunny D and watch.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
Also in the Dancer arena I've noticed tons of notes near the candelabras saying 'try fire' or 'time to destroy' so I got myself a fire orb and lit up ever square centimeter of this room and destroyed all the candelabras (including the ones behind fencing. Was something supposed to happen?

e:

CJacobs posted:

summoning Hawkwood and letting him go to town while you kick back with some Sunny D and watch.
Curse my un-embered ways.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Melanion posted:

Also in the Dancer arena I've noticed tons of notes near the candelabras saying 'try fire' or 'time to destroy' so I got myself a fire orb and lit up ever square centimeter of this room and destroyed all the candelabras (including the ones behind fencing. Was something supposed to happen?

e:

Curse my un-embered ways.

Dancer's fire attacks can light the room on fire. It's pretty cool looking.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Vitality is the new worthless stat, it's literally only good for fashion souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Next page.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 27, 2016