Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
GRRM is definitely going back and rewriting poo poo to make it different from the show, just out of spite. Because if there's one thing that fat gently caress needs, yet another reason to delay the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I think I get it now. They are just loving with GRRM at this point because they think they own GoT now.
They're right, though. Their ending will be the definitive ending and GRRM's now writing fanfiction for his own creation.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
If/when GRRM dies TWoW and ADoS die with him.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

counterfeitsaint posted:

GRRM is definitely going back and rewriting poo poo to make it different from the show, just out of spite. Because if there's one thing that fat gently caress needs, yet another reason to delay the books.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Depends what happens to it, really. Maybe he'll pull a Barrie and leave the rights to the wolf sanctuary he loves, and they'll hire someone to go through the remainder and publish it. It seems like GRRM himself doesn't care much what happens to his world when he dies, but that doesn't mean it will be left alone.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

counterfeitsaint posted:

GRRM is definitely going back and rewriting poo poo to make it different from the show, just out of spite.

I doubt it, because I doubt most of the show's decisions are based on his notes.

Like the only thing vaguely similar to how things were left in ADWD is the Wall, and some of Braavos.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Any book fan who is going to quit the (book) series because of the show bringing closure to the story probably wouldn't have read/bought the final books anyways. At that point you might as well just read a wikipedia plot summery of the ending and be done with it.

The story is good because GRRM is telling it, and it's even more obvious now that D&D have run out of book and are just stumbling through plot points now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LegalPad posted:

At that point you might as well just read a wikipedia plot summery of the ending and be done with it.

Note that people ITT have literally said they want this.

Then again you're drawing from the same people who said they wanted Half Life 3 to "finish the story".

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I hope when he dies D&D finish the book series, and match out up perfectly with the show.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

computer parts posted:

Note that people ITT have literally said they want this.

Then again you're drawing from the same people who said they wanted Half Life 3 to "finish the story".

No doubt, but that has nothing to do with the show. That's book fans losing patience with GRRM.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ashcans posted:

Depends what happens to it, really. Maybe he'll pull a Barrie and leave the rights to the wolf sanctuary he loves, and they'll hire someone to go through the remainder and publish it.

Brandon Sanderson supposedly did a good job wrapping up Wheel of Time (which was even more of a mess.) We'll probably get Dave Hill. Olly can kill the Night's King and take his place or something.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soo when Stannis had sex with Mel, was that a 200 year old tree vagina or 30 year old tight vagina?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

LegalPad posted:

Any book fan who is going to quit the (book) series because of the show bringing closure to the story probably wouldn't have read/bought the final books anyways. At that point you might as well just read a wikipedia plot summery of the ending and be done with it.

The story is good because GRRM is telling it, and it's even more obvious now that D&D have run out of book and are just stumbling through plot points now.

I quit the books halfway through book 5 because I had just read a book and a half of terrible bloat.

The non book stuff D&D added early on, especially in season 1 was amazing. I think there is some rule that tv shows can only get worst after like their 4th season.

whatever7 posted:

Soo when Stannis had sex with Mel, was that a 200 year old tree vagina or 30 year old tight vagina?

I think you know the answer to this.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Narmi posted:

If/when GRRM dies TWoW and ADoS die with him.

I think TWoW will be published even if it's just a flimsy collection of however many pages he'll have written up to that point. Edit it a little and fill in the blanks then see if they can get a ghostwriter for part 2. Too much money involved not to.

His publishers could compile all the sample chapter's he's released, should be enough of them for a novella at least.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 27, 2016

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The more I think about it the more likely I think it is that we'll see Lady Stoneheart this season. With Thoros confirmed back and Jaime in the Riverlands it makes perfect sense to have him get kidnapped/led to her in some way. It would explain the shot of Podrick getting snatched at the Lannister camp, and given how this show has devolved into the most frivolous soap opera drama, make a great stinger.

You don't show Stoneheart earlier because what do you do with her and Brienne for like a full season while waiting for Jaime to get caught too? You can't just twiddle your thumbs. Now you capture both of them at the same time and get the same results.

Who knows though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gin_Rummy posted:

This may be a stupid question at this point, but is Stannis 100% for-sure dead? We never saw the actual act of killing, nor did we see a body. I know Stephen Dillane wasn't credited in this episode, but does that mean he is out for the whole season/show now?

Stannis is waiting for his opportunity after the feint he made in the previous season, relax.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Have Beric resurrect the Hound instead and he can lead the Brotherhood, overcome his fear of fire by becoming a fire-zombie, hang Brienne then fight his brother who is also a zombie.

It'd be dumb as hell but in a good way.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The Hound is probably not dead in the show too (they never saw him dying)

Have Toros resurrect Ned Stark and be StoneHeadless, now that would be cool

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Stannis was mercy killed before he could find out Melisandre's real age, let the man rest in peace imo.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

whatever7 posted:

"You want a good girl, but you need the bad pussy" was foreshadowing.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I'm still holding out hope for a resurrected RobbWind

B-Hard
Feb 23, 2012

Are you talking to me or my ass?

Narmi posted:

The guy who played Barristan wanted to stay on, and seemed to really like his character. He actually told D&D that killing Barristan off the way they did made no sense and was a mistake, and asked if he could stay on. They told him no, then they went on a q&a session and made fun of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfvVluNxujc (at 1h13m12s)

It's not an actor's place to question the writing, so I see where D&D are coming from from a professional standpoint. That being said, he was right and may as well be a writer on the show. Also, them joking about him like that is lovely.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Syncopated posted:

Stannis was mercy killed before he could find out Melisandre's real age, let the man rest in peace imo.

The Stannismentum can't be stopped.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

B-Hard posted:

It's not an actor's place to question the writing, so I see where D&D are coming from from a professional standpoint. That being said, he was right and may as well be a writer on the show. Also, them joking about him like that is lovely.

Err.. yeah it is, there are plenty of bits of classic cinema history that exist solely because of actors pointing out flaws in, and advising on changes to the script. Like any good joint creative endeavour, it's only healthy and professional to have that feedback.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

B-Hard posted:

It's not an actor's place to question the writing, so I see where D&D are coming from from a professional standpoint.

This attitude would have given us Han Solo saying "I love you too" to Leia in Empire.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

:pusheen:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

Depends what happens to it, really. Maybe he'll pull a Barrie and leave the rights to the wolf sanctuary he loves, and they'll hire someone to go through the remainder and publish it. It seems like GRRM himself doesn't care much what happens to his world when he dies, but that doesn't mean it will be left alone.

That's not true at all unless there has been some recent interview I don't know of. GRMM has stated in the past that he wouldn't let another author finish his books or write in that world and he doesn't think his wife would either.

So yeah we'll get book 6 (maybe) and it would take a damned miracle for him to write book 7 unless he lives a lot longer than he looks like he should.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

B-Hard posted:

I half agree - I think that he has the right (and was right) to give his opinion to the writers, but he shouldn't have gone off publicly on them. Though I can understand that a lot of people had a problem with his death so he was probably asked that a lot and decided to come clean about how he felt.

Both parties should have kept the exchange behind the scenes, but D&D joking about killing him off makes them look worse IMO.

e: Kit Harington going from looking like he was having fun to looking awkward when they said that kind of sums up the exchange.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 27, 2016

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mike N Eich posted:

The more I think about it the more likely I think it is that we'll see Lady Stoneheart this season. With Thoros confirmed back and Jaime in the Riverlands it makes perfect sense to have him get kidnapped/led to her in some way. It would explain the shot of Podrick getting snatched at the Lannister camp, and given how this show has devolved into the most frivolous soap opera drama, make a great stinger.

You don't show Stoneheart earlier because what do you do with her and Brienne for like a full season while waiting for Jaime to get caught too? You can't just twiddle your thumbs. Now you capture both of them at the same time and get the same results.

Who knows though.

But you can't write a good ending for lady stoneheart! That's why this zombie poo poo is dumb! It also makes zombie Jon a character people hard to root for.

GURM should have rewritten the series from book 4 and time skip most of the poo poo. And give book readers a lol $5 coupon to buy the revised book 4 and 5.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

That's not true at all unless there has been some recent interview I don't know of. GRMM has stated in the past that he wouldn't let another author finish his books or write in that world and he doesn't think his wife would either.

So yeah we'll get book 6 (maybe) and it would take a damned miracle for him to write book 7 unless he lives a lot longer than he looks like he should.

Oh, the only thing I know is that when people ask him 'What happens when you die!!!' he tells them that's an rear end in a top hat question to ask and that if he's dying the last thing he's going to worry about is providing resolution on all his writing. I hadn't seen that he specifically didn't want anyone else to touch it.

Maybe we'll never get an ending then, which will be kind of ironic because then his 'no one writes it but me' stance will make the show's conclusion the de facto ending for everyone.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

whatever7 posted:

But you can't write a good ending for lady stoneheart! That's why this zombie poo poo is dumb!

Yes you can, Arya encounters her, realizes that this is what revenge ultimately looks like, and gives the undead shade of her mother the gift of mercy like the Hound showed her.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Soup du Jour posted:

Yes you can, Arya encounters her, realizes that this is what revenge ultimately looks like, and gives the undead shade of her mother the gift of mercy like the Hound showed her.

Nah her character arc ends with brainwashed Arya assassinating Jon, and then wake up from the spell.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

For people having trouble with books 4 & 5, I highly recommend reading the compilation "Ball of Beasts". Made it much more enjoyable.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Narmi posted:

I half agree - I think that he has the right (and was right) to give his opinion to the writers, but he shouldn't have gone off publicly on them. Though I can understand that a lot of people had a problem with his death so he was probably asked that a lot and decided to come clean about how he felt.

Both parties should have kept the exchange behind the scenes, but D&D joking about killing him off makes them look worse IMO.

e: Kit Harington going from looking like he was having fun to looking awkward when they said that kind of sums up the exchange.

Someone filmed the exhcange.

"We have a new writer now."

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 27, 2016

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

whatever7 posted:

But you can't write a good ending for lady stoneheart!

I would very much like the series to end with a Stoneheart/Littlefinger scene.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Soup du Jour posted:

I legitimately really like this idea.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Promethium posted:

I would very much like the series to end with a Stoneheart/Littlefinger scene.

You mean like Stoneheart pushing Littlefinger out of the moon door? This twist only works if Littlefinger win the game of Thrones (and inseminate Sansa with a little littlefinger).

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Dave Hill wrote all the Histories & Lore extras which are pretty good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why is he called littlefinger. his fingers looked normal length to me. he aint trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

His father was a landed knight who held land on the Fingers, which are a set of narrow peninsulas that extend from the Vale into the narrow sea. The Tully children nicknamed him 'Littlefinger' because his family's holdings were the smallest on the Fingers.

Also it was probably a dick joke.

• Locked thread