Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Broseph Brostar posted:

Vitality is the new worthless stat, it's literally only good for fashion souls

Which actually makes it the most important stat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Broseph Brostar posted:

It does scale your damage reduction more than any other stat up to 40.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Feindfeuer posted:

This

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Is luck the new worthless/nearly worthless stat or is there a good reason to invest in it?

Luck is very super good, but it's also sort of a "gimmick" build in that it's good for a very specific thing.

Luck influences how quickly you can inflict status effects like poison and bleed, and bleed is very good in DS3. So Luck-heavy builds tend to be all about bleeding enemies out. Interestingly, the best way to do this is not to infuse a weapon with the Blood infusion (which kills the base damage and doesn't help with bleed build-up that much) but instead to either take a weapon with inherent bleed and make it Hollow (scales with Luck) or use Anri's Straight Sword, then use Carthus Rouge (bleed resin).

It does so much damage that it's what speedrunners are using to nuke bosses.

Luck is to DS3 as Bloodtinge is to Bloodborne: basically useless unless you're specializing in a small subset of weapons, but if you are, it murders poo poo real fast.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hollow Warden Twinblades w/ Carthus Rouge :captainpop:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Einwand posted:

Pretty sure if you put that thing in your bonfire box it'll stop counting towards your matchmaking.

Can someone confirm this?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Is the defense / absorption / whatever bonus from it significant at all? Maybe in PvP if not in Pve?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Brannock posted:

Yeah this would be amazing.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

Long sword, broadsword, lothric knight sword and astora straight sword are all in high wall and are good.

The key is in a slightly different area.

There's only two illusory walks before Catacombs. One in fire link and one in Farron keep. Basically people troll a lot with messages.

Tenzarin posted:

Broad sword, 10 str 10 dex - room with the cell key in the high wall.

Deep(dark damage) axe, 12 str 10 dex? - first mimic.

Astoria straight sword 10 str 10 dex - room with the cell key in the high wall.
Thanks for the help, guys.

Also, there sure are a hell of a lot of sideways and hidden nooks and crannies this time around!

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
Does Frostbite scale or improve with luck?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Hollow Warden Twinblades w/ Carthus Rouge :captainpop:

I really want to see how quickly that melts things into a puddle of blood.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is the defense / absorption / whatever bonus from it significant at all? Maybe in PvP if not in Pve?

From what I've heard, only in extremes. Like, if you're able to kit yourself out in full Havel's you can tank poo poo pretty well but even at like 50 Vitality you're still fat-rolling.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
I'm fairly new to dark souls as a whole, I keep seeing people talking about "the meta level" in regards to pvp. Is there some level you want to stay at for PVP?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

Next page.

Why do you keep doing this? Now that people can click to the first unread post in threads they're following (a change that's been around for years now), it's not like posts at the end of a page gets overlooked anymore.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Harrow posted:

From what I've heard, only in extremes. Like, if you're able to kit yourself out in full Havel's you can tank poo poo pretty well but even at like 50 Vitality you're still fat-rolling.

So if I get to 30/30/40/40 Vig/End/Str/Dex or so and leave everything else at the base level I'm basically done with a Quality build? That's good to know.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Ok, two questions about weird poo poo:

1) Does the Dancer have an alternative intro where she is creeping around a pillar setting things on fire?

2) Does Havel sometimes get summoned instead of a Drakeblood Knight in Archdragon peak?

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Brannock posted:

Why do you keep doing this? Now that people can click to the first unread post in threads they're following (a change that's been around for years now), it's not like posts at the end of a page gets overlooked anymore.

I saw that too. It made me think of Reddit, you know how people will hijack the highest rated comment. This is SA, all posts are equally worthless here. :clint:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Sylphosaurus posted:

2) I've also found a prisoner in a cell somewhere along the Wall of Lothric but I haven't managed to find the key to the cell. Is it to be found in the same area or will I find it later on along the plot?

It's in the high wall area there's a room with several of the tall undead dudes with big axes/halberds and some dogs. It's in there, tucked away in a corner

TRON JEREMY posted:

i found havel

he's got some new tricks

help

Parrying is good, but also when he starts to buff himself quickly go for a backstab. If you're fast enough he won't get the buff off and you'll have a chance to R1 spam as he rises, depending on your weapon. If he's got his shield up you can try kicking but that might need an extra attack to break his guard. Or do what Oxx said and let him wear himself out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Brannock posted:

I really don't think that's true. All of the testing so far seems to be "the highest upgrade level you have ever had on this character," even if you discard the item (as in, not drop, just remove from the game). That's what people were saying pre-release of course. It's basically the new Soul Memory: it can only go up, never down.

Which, I mean, I'd prefer if it only looked at what was in your inventory because that's all you have access to when multiplayer is happening, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Does Frostbite scale or improve with luck?

All status effects build up faster depending on Luck, though Frostbite is kinda... eh. I can't see a reason to bother inflicting it when you could just use your high Luck to bleed out your enemy instead.

Brannock posted:

Pretty sure I've only done it like twice or three times but also I'm not very smart :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

I really want to see how quickly that melts things into a puddle of blood.

I just looked this up and may go with this AND rear end and take the best of both worlds. And if it turns out it sucks just respec.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Senethro posted:

Ok, two questions about weird poo poo:

1) Does the Dancer have an alternative intro where she is creeping around a pillar setting things on fire?

2) Does Havel sometimes get summoned instead of a Drakeblood Knight in Archdragon peak?

I've seen a havel near the first snake summoner there, so yea I think so. might have to let the snake live for a while to bring one in tho, not sure how they work exactly

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I noticed when looking through stuff that they do actually give a description of how Frostbite works on Vordt's Great Hammer. I know people were trying to figure out what frostbite did back closer to release and I'm not sure if that's still the case but I thought I would share.

According to the description Frostbite: does a burst of damage (I imagine lower than bleed), slows stamina recovery, and lowers absorption. That last part is what intrigues me, I wonder how much of a debuff it is and if it may be worth looking into for PvP purposes. My instinct says no since absorption isn't really a big deal there but I do have to wonder what the damage implications would be from that. Beyond that though, the stamina speed debuff is probably pretty good on its own since DS2 bleed did that and it was why it was pretty good for PvP there.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So it turns out immediately going for a Lothric Knight Greatsword kinda makes you a teensy bit overpowered for pretty much the rest of the game:

You can imagine how fast everything else died up to this point.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Goddamnit, I really can't get the parry mechanic down, despite being pretty good at it in Bloodborne. I guess I'll have to swallow my pride and check for some Youtube videos.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

RBA Starblade posted:

I just looked this up and may go with this AND rear end and take the best of both worlds. And if it turns out it sucks just respec.

You can also add in the BSS until you get the upgrade materials and levels for the rear end to surpass it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Three against one is unfair (the NPC fight in Grand Archives)!

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure Havel gets summoned the first time you encounter the summoners, then it's just Generic K***ht 0042 afterwards.

Azazell0 posted:

Three against one is unfair (the NPC fight in Grand Archives)!

I ran back into the previous room, the melee and caster guys just sat there casting into the wall while the archer bounced around until he fell over from getting stabbed.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Szcwczuk posted:

I'm fairly new to dark souls as a whole, I keep seeing people talking about "the meta level" in regards to pvp. Is there some level you want to stay at for PVP?

Here is the Dark Souls PvP primer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyA8odjCzZ4

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So if I get to 30/30/40/40 Vig/End/Str/Dex or so and leave everything else at the base level I'm basically done with a Quality build? That's good to know.

I've seen people defend tanky builds that can only fat-roll, even in PvP. Full Havel's apparently gives you crazy damage reduction--who cares if you can roll, just trade hits every time and you're always going to come out on top. But it seems like something you really have to fully commit to, which I guess is a pattern with Dark Souls III builds that aren't "equip sword, hit R1."

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

so I killed aldrich with a running slash as the arrow rain killed me

after the cutscene warped me I died

where was the cutscene supposed to warp me to

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hamburger Test posted:

You can also add in the BSS until you get the upgrade materials and levels for the rear end to surpass it.

This is true, especially since you can't hollow infuse until the end of Irithyll Dungeon.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've seen a havel near the first snake summoner there, so yea I think so. might have to let the snake live for a while to bring one in tho, not sure how they work exactly

It's random, sometimes it's the first one he brings in. It's just really rare, based on my observations it's a low single digit % chance.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hamburger Test posted:

It's random, sometimes it's the first one he brings in. It's just really rare, based on my observations it's a low single digit % chance.

The very first thing I saw in archdragon's peak was Havel's dragon's tooth in my face. I didn't win. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ruggington posted:

so I killed aldrich with a running slash as the arrow rain killed me

after the cutscene warped me I died

where was the cutscene supposed to warp me to

Go to Vordt's bonfire, then run up the stairs to where the lady gave you the banner.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

So it turns out immediately going for a Lothric Knight Greatsword kinda makes you a teensy bit overpowered for pretty much the rest of the game:

You can imagine how fast everything else died up to this point.

where'd you even get it? they can only drop from lothric knights that are using it, yea? honestly can't remember if I've seen one or not

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Tykero posted:

Dancer's fire attacks can light the room on fire. It's pretty cool looking.

Aw. I was hoping it would open a secret door or something. The flames are pretty, though.

Steam has one of the most user-unfriendly screenshot systems I have ever witnessed.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I started out with a cleric and pumped faith hoping throwing lightning bolts would ever be loving worth it, ever, and it never was, so I pumped str instead. I like lightning blade but I don't care about any other miracles. I don't even bring blue with me when I PvP. Should I respec to have the least faith required to cast that miracle, or does a lightning buff miracle actually scale with faith or something? Same question for catalysts, I just use the speedy bell chime one but I maxed it out anyway.

Because I'd love to put these possibly wasted points into endurance.

e: nevermind spell needs 30 I'd only get 5 back. Nevermind.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

where'd you even get it? they can only drop from lothric knights that are using it, yea? honestly can't remember if I've seen one or not

If you kill the Dancer early you can get to one of the Greatsword guys super early.

Krinkle posted:

I started out with a cleric and pumped faith hoping throwing lightning bolts would ever be loving worth it, ever, and it never was, so I pumped str instead. I like lightning blade but I don't care about any other miracles. I don't even bring blue with me when I PvP. Should I respec to have the least faith required to cast that miracle, or does a lightning buff miracle actually scale with faith or something? Same question for catalysts, I just use the speedy bell chime one but I maxed it out anyway.

Because I'd love to put these possibly wasted points into endurance.

Blessed Weapon doesn't scale (adds 7.5% damage), but all other weapon buffs do. Quite a bit, too--we're talking a difference of at least 120 damage added between 30 and 60 Faith with Lightning Blade.

Lightning Spears, by the way, are fantastic if you use them point-blank. They have two hitboxes: one for the spear, and one directly around you when you cast, and the point-blank one does more damage and can hit at the same time as the spear. At 50+ Faith, Sunlight Spear is a one-shot in PvP if you hit with it point blank on drat near anyone, like 1300-1400 damage.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 27, 2016

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Harrow posted:

My endgame pve setup was full Havel's, a broadsword and a staff in the offhand for casting magic weapon. Even with full Havel's, Lord of Cinder's juggling combo would put me low enough to get killed by one more attack. Even if you have slightly higher absorption, you still end up dying to the same amount of hits. In some uncommon situations you might have one extra hit of survivability, but that still doesn't justify the stat investment.

Feindfeuer posted:

This is bad though. You shouldn't have to gimp your character just to look cool. Bloodborne lets you wear whatever you want regardless of stats.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ooooh yeah, I forgot about them completely. seems like it's not really worth the effort to me, but more power to anyone that does it. you could get a black knight ultra greatsword pretty soon after killing vordt tho iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

RBA Starblade posted:

The very first thing I saw in archdragon's peak was Havel's dragon's tooth in my face. I didn't win. :v:

If you do kill him he will drop the shield and tooth, if it's the first Havel you kill in a playthrough - and will probably also spawn the armor. I didn't check since this happened to me in NG+ and I already had it all.