Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Been a good six months, feeling the itch. Anything good come out in the past year or so? Running the unofficial patches, some graphical stuff, SPERG, Apocalypse, Trade and Barter, some bandit and patrols mods, Hothtrooper's armor and some weapon stuff. Really would like a better weapons mod in particular, a lot of them are kind of ugly.

I also had Mazz's End last time but I recall it giving me some horrendous slowdown, so I might just drop that. Shame, it was cool.

Are there any fun or interesting mods I should look at this time around? I'd like to shake things up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

If you're looking for a good house mod, I got my Fyr Manor Fixes released, so Fyr manor behaves as advertised.

Quest wise the only thing I can think of is moon and star which is fairly short, but decent.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

what are some good combat mods? Preferably something that makes the combat more than just button mashing, but not an overcomplicated mess. Basically, not dark souls.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I just finished Moon and Star. It's not bad but just sortof vanilla. The voice acting is all-around decent to good, I liked Little Vivec and its characters, the riddles were nice, and technically its all good. It's just that everything is so... safe. There's enough fetch and FedEx quests in the main game, I'm not installing quest mods to get more of those. Feels like they could've done so much more with all those voice actors rather than to just fill Little Vivec with flavour lines and misc quests. The nostalgia bit was nice though.

On the other hand, I just started Wheels of Lull and drat. I've only been murdering ghosts (and a boss ghost!) in a mine and talking to some...'people' down...somewhere, but it all feels more grand, more weird, more fun. Are all of Trainwiz' mods like that? Cause then I need all of Trainwiz' mods.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

what are some good combat mods? Preferably something that makes the combat more than just button mashing, but not an overcomplicated mess. Basically, not dark souls.

I've been using Combat Evolved together with Deadly Combat and Deadly Dragons. It takes some time getting used to at first because you'll be really wanting to either dodge or block attacks so as not to die, but it's a lot better than the default LARP behaviour where both parties whack at each other with huge cotton swabs. When I first started I had to switch down to apprentice/adept. It might get a bit frustrating against say mages when you don't have a lot of magic resistance, or against particularly strong opponents like my first Old Orc on the side of the road or when higher level enemy spawn kicks in, but having to avoid a few enemies or having to really go all out with scrolls, potions, poisons and abilities makes it feel a lot more rewarding.

Edit: And by dodging I mean just walking around and timing enemy swings. The big guys with two-handed weapons always have a long wind-up and cooldown, something I never cared to notice when I played vanilla. Enemies with one-handers are generally too fast for stuff like that though.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 27, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fleve posted:

On the other hand, I just started Wheels of Lull and drat. I've only been murdering ghosts (and a boss ghost!) in a mine and talking to some...'people' down...somewhere, but it all feels more grand, more weird, more fun. Are all of Trainwiz' mods like that? Cause then I need all of Trainwiz' mods.

The absolute best Trainwiz mod was made for Morrowind, but it is heartily recommended.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Are there any mods that give magic more impulse? I kind of wanna be rolling around knockin' poo poo over with explosive spells and what not.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Fleve posted:

I just finished Moon and Star. It's not bad but just sortof vanilla. The voice acting is all-around decent to good, I liked Little Vivec and its characters, the riddles were nice, and technically its all good. It's just that everything is so... safe. There's enough fetch and FedEx quests in the main game, I'm not installing quest mods to get more of those. Feels like they could've done so much more with all those voice actors rather than to just fill Little Vivec with flavour lines and misc quests. The nostalgia bit was nice though.

Yes, they are. It's Aethernautics, Brhuce Hammar: Legacy, Lost Wonders of Mzark, Blackreach Railroad, Dwemer Spectres, and Fyr Manor (don't neglect to grab the fix mod I made for Fyr Manor.) Even his follower mod (Brhuce Hammar: Legacy) and his house mod (Fyr Manor) have that weird majesty. Brhuce has several neat quests involved, while Fyr Manor has you exploring all over to activate the various rooms.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Trainwiz is loving excellent and is the kind of modder I want to be when I grow up. Wasn't Morrowloot him as well?

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Yes, they are. It's Aethernautics, Brhuce Hammar: Legacy, Lost Wonders of Mzark, Blackreach Railroad, Dwemer Spectres, and Fyr Manor (don't neglect to grab the fix mod I made for Fyr Manor.) Even his follower mod (Brhuce Hammar: Legacy) and his house mod (Fyr Manor) have that weird majesty. Brhuce has several neat quests involved, while Fyr Manor has you exploring all over to activate the various rooms.

Thanks, I installed the lot of them. I already looked at some of them earlier it seems and then didn't install them cause of the weirdness factor, but playing through Wheels of Lull has me convinced that that's perfectly fine and exactly what I didn't know I wanted.

Before I got my hands on them I thought they'd be jarring. Now I can't wait to toy around with harquebuses and jump around in puddles of space-time continuum or whatever he's concocted.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Well, sounds like I'm grabbing all of Trainwiz's stuff tonight.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Yeah, he did the original Morrowloot. He also made World Eater Beater, a complete overhaul of the Alduin fight (warning: may kill your music permanently after the fight) and this follower (warning: may result in random wolves getting very mad about elves).

(Trainwiz is loving awesome, but if he has one weakness, it's that his code-fu isn't always up to snuff).

theshim
May 1, 2012

NuclearPotato posted:

(warning: may result in random wolves getting very mad about elves).
Now that's the sign of an excellent mod.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Quick Question: I use NMM, have installed SKSE, and have my original Skyrim shortcut all on my desktop. If I want to just launch into the game, with my mods, which shortcut do I use? Do I launch through NMM everytime? I don't like all these superfluous icons on my desktop.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Blimpkin posted:

Quick Question: I use NMM, have installed SKSE, and have my original Skyrim shortcut all on my desktop. If I want to just launch into the game, with my mods, which shortcut do I use? Do I launch through NMM everytime? I don't like all these superfluous icons on my desktop.

As long as you launch sks_loader.exe, it should be good. NMM is just a package manager, it doesn't virtualize its Skyrim data folder like MO does.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Question regarding AA:

I remember reading somewhere that Skyrim's in-game AA is poo poo, and that I should use ENB's or my graphics card's AA instead. Is this true? Which one is better, ENB's or the card's?

I'm using ENB just for ENBoost, do ENB's AA settings still affect the game in this case?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Question regarding AA:

I remember reading somewhere that Skyrim's in-game AA is poo poo, and that I should use ENB's or my graphics card's AA instead. Is this true? Which one is better, ENB's or the card's?

I'm using ENB just for ENBoost, do ENB's AA settings still affect the game in this case?

I can't say anything definite on that, but I have a feeling that it might depend on what graphics card you're using, so it might be a good idea to post what model it is, just in case it turns out to be relevant.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I just use the in-game FXAA. Good enough for me.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ThaumPenguin posted:

I can't say anything definite on that, but I have a feeling that it might depend on what graphics card you're using, so it might be a good idea to post what model it is, just in case it turns out to be relevant.

It's a 970gtx

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Question regarding AA:

if you have a 970 take the easy way out and just find a high quality vanilla ENB, yes they exist

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mortimer posted:

if you have a 970 take the easy way out and just find a high quality vanilla ENB, yes they exist

Why you lie to me, bro? I went and tried one out:

(it was a mask png on the root dir, but why the hell do they pack it in in the first place?!)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
because Boris :shrug:

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

It's been about a year and FO4 isn't as replayable as I'd like, so I'm reinstalling Skyrim. Thinking about doing a Forsworn playthru. Anybody have any good mods they'd recommend for such a venture?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

-Fish- posted:

It's been about a year and FO4 isn't as replayable as I'd like, so I'm reinstalling Skyrim. Thinking about doing a Forsworn playthru. Anybody have any good mods they'd recommend for such a venture?

I'm glad you asked! I find that whole faction really interesting, so two of the better mods that I have made myself are heavily Forsworn-centered.

One is Blood and Silver - Cidhna Mine Expanded which improves the climax of the Markarth questline regardless of whether you side with the Forsworn, but it's way more fun if you do. The Forsworn jailbreak scene turns into all-out war. For a Forsworn playthrough it would be cool to start in (or near) Markarth, run the questline and join up with the Forsworn rebellion in-character at the end of the quest. This also adds a couple of bonus followers who will look cool in Forsworn armor.

And then there's Female Forsworn Briarhearts which is not as shallow as it may appear. This has a lot of cool extra features like the ability to recruit a badass Forsworn Briarheart follower and the added ability to "craft" a wearable Briarheart body (at a hagraven altar) and either play as a Briarheart (male or female) or turn another follower into one. It also offers improved meshes for the original male Briarheart body and the briar heart clutter item, with a pulsing "heartbeat" glow effect that you really need to see in-game to fully appreciate.

lovely gif preview:

Get yo black magic on.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

-Fish- posted:

There's always A Forsworn Story! :suicide:

Link is NSFW, in case you haven't guessed.

NuclearPotato fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 28, 2016

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

NuclearPotato posted:

Yeah, he did the original Morrowloot. He also made World Eater Beater, a complete overhaul of the Alduin fight (warning: may kill your music permanently after the fight)
Is it recommended to do it when you've done everything else in the game, or is that only an occasional bug?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Maera Sior posted:

Is it recommended to do it when you've done everything else in the game, or is that only an occasional bug?

Not sure, but I'd probably save loading it up until you reach Sovengard, just in case.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That's actually wrong, the bug is just that he forgot to remove his music from playing, and it was pretty easily fixed with a console command, and I believe it's fixed in the newest version anyway.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

-Fish- posted:

Alternate Start - Live Another Life lets you start as a Forsworn. Breton only.

I do know that one camp will be friendly to you. Not sure about other ones, or if a guard will spot you and try to kill you.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
also if you don't like LAL or want a less structured alternative start Skyrim Unbound lets you pick a faction to belong to and Forsworn is one of the options. Fair warning I haven't played with that much, have only tried it as an Imperial and got kinda tired of being attacked unexpectedly, so I have no idea how the Forsworn option works out but you can switch it off if it's a hassle.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
I'm having a weird issue with the MCM. Menus keep loading slowly or not loading at all, or the menu won't appear to respond (though if I close and reopen it, it'll show any changes I made by clicking so I guess it's technically working?). I originally thought More Hotkeys Please was the culprit, as it always occured near instantly when going into its menu. I tried both AH hotkeys and going without any hotkey mods, but it still happens. Am I missing something obvious?

Load Order:

code:
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp
Wyrmstooth.esp
WM Flora Fixes.esp
SPERG.esm
Ket_ARMONIZER_v2.esm
EFFCore.esm
notice board.esp
MolagBalsInferno.esm
Cutting Room Floor.esp
SkyUI.esp
Grimy Utilities Interface.esp
FISS.esp
SkyTweak.esp
Dragon Stalking Fix.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
SPERG-DB.esp
SPERG-DG.esp
DK_Armor_By_Hothtrooper44.esp
Souls_Quick_Menu.esp
Wintermyst - Enchantments of Skyrim.esp
HandyMan.esp
LegacyoftheDragonborn.esp
Complete Alchemy & Cooking Overhaul.esp
SPERG.esp
CACO_LegacyoftheDragonborn_Patch.esp
Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
DBM_CCOR_patch.esp
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
TwoRings.esp
PassiveWeaponEnchantmentRecharging.esp
Thieves Guild Requirements.esp
LostGrimoire.esp
WarmongerArmory_Vanilla.esp
DragonBoneEbonsteel.esp
UIExtensions.esp
Helgen Reborn.esp
BetterDarkBrotherhood.esp
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
EFFDialogue.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
Dual Wield Parrying_LeftHand.esp
OBIS.esp
OBISDB.esp
VioLens.esp
HeartBreaker.esp
DifficultArchery_30.esp
CraftableCultistArmors.esp
Civil War Overhaul.esp
the room.esp
Thunderchild - Epic Shout Package.esp
Improved Dragon Shouts - Dawnguard.esp
Improved Dragon Shouts.esp
Improved Dragon Shouts - Dragonborn.esp
Forgotten Dungeons.esp
MoonAndStar_MAS.esp
Undeath.esp
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
Skyrim Unbound.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
Unique Uniques.esp
Insanity's Pale Blade.esp
Insanity's Red Eagle's Bane.esp
Lore Weapon Expansion.esp
OMageCommonRobesV2.esp
Ket_WEAPONIZER.esp
Throwing_Weapons_Redux.esp
PrvtI_HeavyArmory.esp
Third Era - Dwemer.esp
Hebrock_Der Schatten von Meresis - EV.esp
TheFrontier.esp
Heimfeigr.esp
DragonmournInn.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
Volundr.esp
Ket_ARMONIZER_LListsNPC.esp
TheDomain.esp
WindstadMine.esp
AdalMatar.esp
quest into the depths.esp
DBM_IWIA_Patch.esp
The Fifth Gate.esp
Immersive Patrols II.esp
konahrik_accoutrements.esp
KRUZIIK.ESP
ORVAR.esp
Atlas Map Markers.esp
DBM_HeavyArmory+IWIA_Patch.esp
DeadlyDragons.esp
Unexpected Blades.esp
AutoHarvest2.esp
DreadmystHollow.esp
arnima.esp
HothFollower.esp
HothFollower UFO Patch.esp
Uncle Sheo.esp
Aurora - Standing Stones of Skyrim.esp
DA_Skyship.esp
DBM_DASkyship_Addon.esp
DBM_MAS_Patch.esp
ForgottenCity.esp
WheelsOfLull.esp
WorldEaterBeater.esp
TimingIsEverything.esp
The Pit.esp
BlackreachRailroadNew.esp
AesirArmor.esp
MzarkWonders.esp
ItBeatsForHer.esp
AV1Dragon_Lords.esp
Phenderix's Magic Evolved No Perks.esp
RabbitHole.esp
Atlas Dawnguard.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
DrunkenDragon.esp
Magic of the Magna-Ge.esp
Immersive Music Temples.esp
Immersive Music.esp
MHdunSky001.esp
Atlas Dragonborn.esp
konahrik_accoutrements_db.esp
PP_OgmundsTomb.esp
Portal.esp
Dead Body Collision.esp
CRF_LotB_Patch.esp
MoonAndStar_Undeath_compat.esp
Atlas Hearthfire.esp
PP_WindcallerPass.esp
ForgottenMagic_Redone.esp
Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
Apocalypse - More Apocalypse.esp
Medusa and Drakul Armors.esp
PP_EngelmannRest.esp
Insanity's Chrysamere.esp
Dwemer Spectres Legendary.esp
Troll Hunter Armor by Hothtrooper44.esp
AetheriumSwordsnArmor.esp
Atlas Blackreach.esp
Contractor Armor.esp
Evil MasterMind Armor.esp
HraghenskaagLabyrinths.esp
GuildStarter.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
AchieveThat.esp
HitStop.esp
ACE Synergy.esp
ACE Realistic Fighting.esp
SPERG Weapon Styles.esp
Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp
SPERG-Ordinator-combined.esp
AcquisitiveSoulGemMultithreaded.esp
Bounty Gold.esp
dragonaspectredone.esp
ConvenientCrossbows.esp
Dragon Claws with Solutions.esp
tes5merged.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Grey Elephants fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 29, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Grey Elephants posted:

I'm having a weird issue with the MCM. Menus keep loading slowly or not loading at all, or the menu won't appear to respond (though if I close and reopen it, it'll show any changes I made by clicking so I guess it's technically working?). I originally thought More Hotkeys Please was the culprit, as it always occured near instantly when going into its menu. I tried both AH hotkeys and going without any hotkey mods, but it still happens. Am I missing something obvious?

SkyUI is slightly buggy. Sometimes it just won't show when you change a menu, but if you go out to the main game then back into the MCM, most times it will show up.

I did spot a couple of things with your mod list regardless that you might want to take a look at.

The improved shouts are not required at all with Thunderchild. Thunderchild includes the buffs to shouts. Also there is a Thunderchild compatibility patch with Wyrmstooth.

There is a SPERG compatibility patch for Apocalypse magic.

Convenient Horses has basically been replaced by Immersive Horses. BUT it's not a required switch.

Since you're using Civil War Overhaul and Immersive Patrols, you should use one of the Civil War Overhaul specific Immersive Patrols .esp files, if you're not using one anyways.

GET RID OF AMAZING FOLLOWER TWEAKS. You are using EFF. You have two things touching the exact same system. Basically EFF is trying to control followers while AFT is as well. That will cause issues.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Action Combat might be my favorite mod altogether. It adds mini-stuns to getting hit, there's some parrying and other stuff in there too. Overall makes fights more realistic and dependent on timing.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Recommendations on mods to turn Skyrim into a full winter wonderland? I was using a CoT mod that did it but I'm tired of needing a drat patch mod for everything, and Enhanced Landscapes requires you to download even more mods along with a bunch of TESVedits to make it work even if you don't care about seeing way out into the distance or something. I just want Skyrim to be covered in eternal winter. :(

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 29, 2016

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

GET RID OF AMAZING FOLLOWER TWEAKS. You are using EFF. You have two things touching the exact same system. Basically EFF is trying to control followers while AFT is as well. That will cause issues.

Alternately, get rid of EFF. But if you do keep AFT, it needs to be last in your order, or else it won't work right. It's kind of a pain that way, but I find it to be worth it.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Gorgar posted:

Alternately, get rid of EFF. But if you do keep AFT, it needs to be last in your order, or else it won't work right. It's kind of a pain that way, but I find it to be worth it.

My problem with AFT and EFF is what they do to companion dialogue and interaction. The UI and menu system is really clogged and seemingly complex. I would like talking to my followers to remain at least a little similar. Similar to the Ask Followers their Skills mod (whatever it is called). Perhaps Something like the follower wheel from new Vegas?

Does anyone know of any like this? I want simplicity in use and features, as in not a lot of new things added other than stat checking and some other quality of life stuff like stealth improvement... I've looked around a lot but could use some advice. What do you prefer? Thanks in advance

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 29, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Truecon420 posted:

My problem with AFT and EFF is what they do to companion dialogue and interaction. The UI and menu system is really clogged and seemingly complex. I would like talking to my followers to remain at least a little similar. Similar to the Ask Followers their Skills mod (whatever it is called). Perhaps Something like the follower wheel from new Vegas?

Does anyone know of any like this? I want simplicity in use and features, as in not a lot of new things added other than stat checking and some other quality of life stuff like stealth improvement... I've looked around a lot but could use some advice. What do you prefer? Thanks in advance

... EFF has a new vegas style companion wheel, that's why I use it.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Agents are GO! posted:

... EFF has a new vegas style companion wheel, that's why I use it.

Oh perfect, thanks. Hope it's compatable with Followers Can Relax

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Truecon420 posted:

Oh perfect, thanks. Hope it's compatable with Followers Can Relax

you shouldn't need it, EFF has a relax command and your follower will chill out and sandbox in the area.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
This is super cliche I know and a ton of people hate them, but are there any good talking swords mods for Skyrim? I don't trust any of the reviews. Oblivion had a pretty good one if I remember right, and it had a really cool quest tracking it down.

I know about Lilacor but that looks like the worst quest in history, especially since the entire reason I love skyrim is because of the quest markers since I normally get lost easily in 3d games like this.

Washout fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Lilarcor is the greatest talking sword in the history of talking swords, which makes it all the worse that the mod is so bad. I wouldn't mind knowing if there were any good ones myself.

• Locked thread