Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Won't the military pay off a big chunk? They always need combat medics and they can't collect his debts if he's shot in Syria or whatever.
Forgive my military ignorance, but would he need any sort of security clearance for that? It's my understanding that it can be heard to get a clearance if you're in crazy debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Forgive my military ignorance, but would he need any sort of security clearance for that? It's my understanding that it can be heard to get a clearance if you're in crazy debt.

And also he hasn't actually succeeded in finishing/passing and so he doesn't qualify to be a medic.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

RheaConfused posted:

And also he hasn't actually succeeded in finishing/passing and so he doesn't qualify to be a medic.

lol if you think all medics are freakin' doctors

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It can be an eye raiser, but it's definitely not impossible. What it boils down to is, "would this person be likely to compromise information by being bribed or blackmailed?" Typically the debt factor can be mitigated with a history of consistent efforts toward repayment and an explanation of how the individual will follow through on wiping it out. If you check out some of the clearance appeals (they're publicly available, dunno where at the moment), there are examples of people with even more extreme debt loads getting a pass. This particular winner doesn't seem to have much in the way of work ethic, so I'd say the odds are stacked against him.

e: Found it: http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Aliquid posted:

lol if you think all medics are freakin' doctors

That's not what I said. I actually know a hell of a lot about what it takes to be a medic since I spend my days managing flight paramedics and flight nurses. But when you fail out of everything, you don't qualify to just waltz in to the army and be a medic and have them pay off your debts with no extra training. This dude has literally no certifications. That was my point.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Regarding allowances and teaching kids responsibility, you can hook your kid up with a debit card by age 13. Makes life a lot easier when she wants to go to the mall or out with friends since we don't always have cash on hand.

Nice part is she has a savings account too and already hates dipping into it for stupid poo poo.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Kareem posted:

Regarding allowances and teaching kids responsibility, you can hook your kid up with a debit card by age 13. Makes life a lot easier when she wants to go to the mall or out with friends since we don't always have cash on hand.

Nice part is she has a savings account too and already hates dipping into it for stupid poo poo.

Even better is to hook them up as an authorized user on a credit card and teach them about rewards points. Set the overall credit limit relatively low for the card. Odds are, they're going to misuse it and get into debt trouble, but this is 13yo debt trouble and we're talking a couple of hundred bucks - this is a perfect learning experience and a great way to avoid having to do yardwork.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

I think if you go back through this thread there's a whole shitload published DOD documents detailing all sorts of classified status/promotion rejections because of the massive unpaid and defaulted debts these people carry. Or it was the GIP Idiots thread, maybe.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Wickerman posted:

I mean really, what is there left to do with such a debt burden? Short of going on SSI disability for life, fleeing the country, or committing suicide?
I would move overseas asap and forget about my home country and never come back.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

That's the sort of history that makes joining the French foreign legion a decent option, as long as you're able bodied. Learn a new language, get a new passport, choose a new name, see the world! He might have just enough know how to be a combat medic after all :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dillbag posted:

I think if you go back through this thread there's a whole shitload published DOD documents detailing all sorts of classified status/promotion rejections because of the massive unpaid and defaulted debts these people carry. Or it was the GIP Idiots thread, maybe.

There's a website that catalogs all the reasons security clearance was approved or denied for people that gets posted in different threads now and then, it was probably that.

That website taught me that you can basically be a child rapist and as long as you say you're sorry and don't actively lie about it when they ask you you're A-OK to handle government secrets.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

There's a website that catalogs all the reasons security clearance was approved or denied for people that gets posted in different threads now and then, it was probably that.

That website taught me that you can basically be a child rapist and as long as you say you're sorry and don't actively lie about it when they ask you you're A-OK to handle government secrets.

Well, if you're a self-admitted child rapist, what is a blackmailer really going to hold against you?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Being financially ruined for life if you fail a medical degree is a bad situation. It means that clever students without a family background with money would be foolish to do a medical degree. This leads to a shortage of doctors. And it creates a perverse incentive for people who get 4 years into a medical degree and decide they hate medicine to complete the degree and work in a job they loathe because it's the only one that pays well enough to pay their loans back. I personally don't want to be treated by s doctor who loathes his job. For a start, they'd be easily corruptible because if they can get out from under their debt by selling prescriptions, they'd be highly tempted.

There really should be an "out" for people who fail degrees, because the huge loans and inability to discharge them in any way leads to some people being drowned under impossible loans. Bankruptcy was intended to solve this very problem. Perhaps a heavier form of bankruptcy (longer term than normal) would be fair for discharging loans for incomplete degrees.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Fail rate for medicine is really low.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

cowofwar posted:

Fail rate for medicine is really low.

Probably because you are 100% screwed if you fail. So those who find they hate it, soldier on, and those who aren't 100% sure they want to do it, don't. Of course, this makes "doctor" a kind of social caste, as the only people who are 100% sure about doctoring are those who know exactly what it involves (because their parents do it) and have the financial backing of a wealthy family (of doctors) to help them. A poor but clever kid, would be an idiot to study medicine without serious scholarships - too much of a gamble.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BarbarianElephant posted:

Probably because you are 100% screwed if you fail. So those who find they hate it, soldier on, and those who aren't 100% sure they want to do it, don't. Of course, this makes "doctor" a kind of social caste, as the only people who are 100% sure about doctoring are those who know exactly what it involves (because their parents do it) and have the financial backing of a wealthy family (of doctors) to help them. A poor but clever kid, would be an idiot to study medicine without serious scholarships - too much of a gamble.

To be fair doctors themselves (and more specifically the doctor boards) make it a social caste a hell of a lot more than student loans or whatever.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
My cousin managed to fail out of Harvard Law. From what I've read that's nearly impossible unless he got hit with academic fraud.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Well at least you know why he failed out.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Mocking Bird posted:

We have a system of one chore a day for an allowance, and collaboration on bigger projects because "you live here too." So she puts away the dishes out of self interest, but helps me now the lawn or mop the floors because it needs to get done. No money for things like doing your own laundry or studying for SATs.

She's also aware of budgeting and will ask "do we have any fun money left?" before proceeding to badger me for the thing she wants regardless.

I lived in El Salvador for a couple years with a very poor family and they had a pretty great chore system in place. Everybody had a certain day of the week that they were responsible for and they were free to skip their day so long as they payed someone else to do it for them.

I liked it because it inverted the traditional "I'll pay you to do the dishes" scheme and replaced it with "You're free to not do the dishes if you pay me." By default the responsibility was theirs and they had to figure out if they wanted to accept it or barter it off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BarbarianElephant posted:

There really should be an "out" for people who fail degrees, because the huge loans and inability to discharge them in any way leads to some people being drowned under impossible loans. Bankruptcy was intended to solve this very problem. Perhaps a heavier form of bankruptcy (longer term than normal) would be fair for discharging loans for incomplete degrees.

I sit on the board of a (Canadian) college that offers a range of programs from short-session certificates to 4-year honours degrees. One of the things the college tries to do is make sure that there is an incremental path of credentials along someone's school career, so that they get credit for the things they did, even if they have to stop or pause for some reason. It's not a perfect system, and it requires some planning on the part of the student, but I hope we see more of that sort of thing at different institutions.

El Mero Mero posted:

I lived in El Salvador for a couple years with a very poor family and they had a pretty great chore system in place. Everybody had a certain day of the week that they were responsible for and they were free to skip their day so long as they payed someone else to do it for them.

I liked it because it inverted the traditional "I'll pay you to do the dishes" scheme and replaced it with "You're free to not do the dishes if you pay me." By default the responsibility was theirs and they had to figure out if they wanted to accept it or barter it off.

Yeah, I like the idea that someone is responsible for making sure that a chore is done, not necessarily doing it themselves. Teach some comparative advantage to the kids too!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Subjunctive posted:

Paying for chores hurts the important sense of contributing to a shared household.

I refused to do some chores without pay growing up, because mowing the lawn for 12 hours every saturday was bullshit and it wasnt like anyone else wanted to do it. 21 acres of idiotic grass, ugh. Then again the harder chores I never got paid for so I suppose it evened out.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Not a Children posted:

It can be an eye raiser, but it's definitely not impossible. What it boils down to is, "would this person be likely to compromise information by being bribed or blackmailed?" Typically the debt factor can be mitigated with a history of consistent efforts toward repayment and an explanation of how the individual will follow through on wiping it out. If you check out some of the clearance appeals (they're publicly available, dunno where at the moment), there are examples of people with even more extreme debt loads getting a pass. This particular winner doesn't seem to have much in the way of work ethic, so I'd say the odds are stacked against him.

e: Found it: http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/
This was always explained to me as the reason for not being able to get into the military with debt when I was going through the process, but it made no sense to me. How is wiping out somebody's X amount of debt going to make them more susceptible to bribes than just offering someone with no debt X amount of cash?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gray Matter posted:

This was always explained to me as the reason for not being able to get into the military with debt when I was going through the process, but it made no sense to me. How is wiping out somebody's X amount of debt going to make them more susceptible to bribes than just offering someone with no debt X amount of cash?

Someone with a major debt is usually much more motivated than someone who would be putting it in savings or luxuries.

Compare: "how would offering a homeless person $5K motivate them more than offering that $5K to a millionaire?"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Be prepared to hear a lot of shitlords talk about calling it "rewarding failure" where "being a decent human being" isn't in the mix.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

I refused to do some chores without pay growing up, because mowing the lawn for 12 hours every saturday was bullshit and it wasnt like anyone else wanted to do it. 21 acres of idiotic grass, ugh. Then again the harder chores I never got paid for so I suppose it evened out.

Who has a 21-acre lawn? Did you grow up on a golf course?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

holy poo poo. even farmers only mow a couple acres around their house and just bale the rest later.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Trillian posted:

Who has a 21-acre lawn? Did you grow up on a golf course?

Farm, and my dad was obnoxious about wanting way more mowed than necessary. This was with a five foot riding mower too. Eventually we let most of it go back to prairie but I think he still pays to have 5-6 acres mowed. It's absurd.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I guess that puts the BWL of the average mcmansion lawn into perspective. :stare:

What reason does he even have for mowing that much? Is it just an obsession with appearances that doesn't make sense when you're dealing with a farm?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Haifisch posted:

I guess that puts the BWL of the average mcmansion lawn into perspective. :stare:

What reason does he even have for mowing that much? Is it just an obsession with appearances that doesn't make sense when you're dealing with a farm?

Mental illness

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I posted a couple pages ago about my parents' cable bill being BWM, and I just took a look at it :aaa:

$299 for phone, internet, and various tv packages/add ons/gently caress you fees

All sorts of poo poo they don't use. $5 for streampix, whatever that is, $2.49 for directory assistance. $9 for HD technology fee, which they can't get rid of because of the DVR, even though they don't have an HD tv.

They talk about canceling it, and I hope they do.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Moneyball posted:

$299 for phone, internet, and various tv packages/add ons/gently caress you fees

Holy gently caress. Do they have every premium movie channel package and the craziest fastest tier of internet?

I mean, even discounting the three dumb things you mentioned, that's still $282/month. The most I've ever paid for TV was $140/month and that was DirectTV with like 5 DVR boxes.

E: VVV $40/month for landline service? :psyduck:

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 27, 2016

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

$39 phone
$79 internet
$120 for basic and premium package

The rest is modem rental, fees, and taxes.

I left and texted my girlfriend to promise me she will never make us get cable.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I pay $12 a month for 50 mbps internet, landline, and TV with every premium channel and VOD service.

Good with money, working for the cable company.

edit: if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My internet service is $50/month but it comes with all the tv shows, free.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

My internet service is $50/month but it comes with all the tv shows, free.
You can get your groceries for free too, just put them under your coat and walk past the register.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Holy gently caress. Do they have every premium movie channel package and the craziest fastest tier of internet?

I mean, even discounting the three dumb things you mentioned, that's still $282/month. The most I've ever paid for TV was $140/month and that was DirectTV with like 5 DVR boxes.

E: VVV $40/month for landline service? :psyduck:

For that price here I can literally get half-gigabit symmetrical fiber-optic

I even thought about getting it too for at least a minute which I think should automatically trigger someone coming to my house and slapping me in the face and going NO, BAD

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My wife and I just moved from the Atlanta suburbs and we're very close to the perimeter now. I think I'm paying about $100 for U-Verse's U200 TV service and the 12Mbit internet, and that includes the stupid bullshit "HD tech fee". We had Charter for $130 in the old place.

I get a free VoIP account through my company so that saves a few bucks a month on a landline.

But man oh man I wish we had Google Fiber nearby. If they start laying cable nearby, I'm dropping AT&T like a bad habit.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

My wife and I just moved from the Atlanta suburbs and we're very close to the perimeter now. I think I'm paying about $100 for U-Verse's U200 TV service and the 12Mbit internet, and that includes the stupid bullshit "HD tech fee". We had Charter for $130 in the old place.

I get a free VoIP account through my company so that saves a few bucks a month on a landline.

But man oh man I wish we had Google Fiber nearby. If they start laying cable nearby, I'm dropping AT&T like a bad habit.

You end up paying more for Fiber once it comes to town.

When Fiber started laying line out here, all of a sudden Time Warner was giving me 50mbps for 30 dollars a month.

Granted, you layer in fees and bullshit and you're closer to 50.

Fiber is 70/mo. Granted, that includes everything, flat 70 bucks, no matter what.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

No Butt Stuff posted:

You end up paying more for Fiber once it comes to town.

When Fiber started laying line out here, all of a sudden Time Warner was giving me 50mbps for 30 dollars a month.

Granted, you layer in fees and bullshit and you're closer to 50.

Fiber is 70/mo. Granted, that includes everything, flat 70 bucks, no matter what.

When I had FIOS, I can't recall a single time when the internet slowed or I had to reset some device (router, modem, w/e). With Time Warner, that poo poo is weekly (and sometimes daily).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
On a much bigger and more entertaining scale than cable-chat, a guy at my office has been trying to get someone to take over the lease on his one-year-old BMW M5. BMW usually means BWM, the bigger the more so, and my coworkers have been trying to figure out how he got into this situation.

1 - The payments on this thing are a little north of $1200/month.
2 - The car starts around $95,000 - probably about as much as he makes in a year, plus or minus a month, maybe two on the outside.

We figure he's pretty much screwed, since:

1 - He's asking the new leasee to cover the $500 lease-transfer fee that BMW charges, since he's "giving up his down payment".
2 - The $1200/month price is exactly the same as you can get by walking into a BWM dealership today - in fact you can get more miles/year than he got.
3 - His down payment was only $2000. For only about five weeks' extra payments anyone interested in his offer could get one brand new, with choice of paint/trim/etc.

• Locked thread