Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I dig this, and things like it.

Dudeabides posted:

Is this Northwest Philly?

Close! Austin, TX.

My latest long exposure:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
First time trying to photograph stars

Stars Over Wenderholm Regional Park by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Leviathon
Oct 23, 2015

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

DorianGravy posted:

Does anyone have advice for photographing constellations? Whenever I photograph starfields, the bright stars don't stand out as much as they do to the naked eye. For example, here's Orion. Is there any photography technique that emphasizes the bright stars more? This is 30 seconds at f/4.5 at ISO-3200. I don't have a tracking mount.

I have found a lower ISO and longer exposure (15-25 seconds) helps. The lower ISO cuts out a lot of the noise from the other stars.

Here are a couple of mine from this weekend.

IMG_4302 by Jack , on Flickr

IMG_4199 by Jack , on Flickr

IMG_4177 by Jack , on Flickr

Short time lapse. ****Cleaned up pictures, should see stars better now****
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFa3M7sY2MU

jvick fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 5, 2016

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Pickup up a Lumix G7 this weekend, went out and played with the timelapse feature.

I'm pretty terrible at this, but I think it turned out ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8xzZXPyTxs

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Star Trails from the ISS:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2016/04/04/what-do-star-trails-look-like-from-the-iss/#543ff3db47eb

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Holy crap Forbes is super snotty about ad blockers these days.

edit - direct link to flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasa_jsc_photo/sets/72157629726792248/

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

xzzy posted:

Holy crap Forbes is super snotty about ad blockers these days.

edit - direct link to flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasa_jsc_photo/sets/72157629726792248/
Nice sense of motion here, NASA.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Bill Barber posted:

Nice sense of motion here, NASA.

Some look like they are in Tron.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Time lapse of the full moon rising the other night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o6rEcpp4Yk

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Night by Iain Compton, on Flickr

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Does 10 seconds count as long exposure?

I walked around DC for 4 hours tonight, I think this is the best one I got, even though it's the most cliched shot of DC you can take. I had to do a ton of post to get rid of the high ISO noise and I'm not really happy with how it turned out.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

CommanderApaul posted:

Does 10 seconds count as long exposure?

I walked around DC for 4 hours tonight, I think this is the best one I got, even though it's the most cliched shot of DC you can take. I had to do a ton of post to get rid of the high ISO noise and I'm not really happy with how it turned out.

What ISO/aperture did you shoot this at? It's quite blurry. Also, did you use a tripod or just leave it on a flat surface?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

huhu posted:

What ISO/aperture did you shoot this at? It's quite blurry. Also, did you use a tripod or just leave it on a flat surface?

I had it on a gorillapod on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. I used Lightrooms built-in presets and it kinda blew everything out, I was exhausted when I got back to the hotel last night. I'm going through some of them with Nik tools now and that's working much better.

10 seconds at f/22, ISO 3200. I realized this morning that I left ISO at Auto the whole time I was down there and about 75% of my shots look like rear end. If the rain holds off I may go back down tonight and try again. Tips would be helpful, I've got an 18-55, a 28-135 3.5/5.6 and a 50 1.8.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 27, 2016

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

CommanderApaul posted:

I had it on a gorillapod on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. I used Lightrooms built-in presets and it kinda blew everything out, I was exhausted when I got back to the hotel last night. I'm going through some of them with Nik tools now and that's working much better.

10 seconds at f/22, ISO 3200. I realized this morning that I left ISO at Auto the whole time I was down there and about 75% of my shots look like rear end. If the rain holds off I may go back down tonight and try again. Tips would be helpful, I've got an 18-55, a 28-135 3.5/5.6 and a 50 1.8.

I think it's probably your liberal use of noise reduction that's making it look bad. 3200 won't be horrible.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

CommanderApaul posted:

With such a far subject distance, you should be able to shoot wide open and still get a solid depth of field. If you're curious you can check out the DOF calculator here: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html Use your 2s self-timer because taking a picture causes the camera to shake a slight bit. Try to lower your ISO and take use longer shutter speeds. Turn off image stabilization since you're using a tripod.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

huhu posted:

With such a far subject distance, you should be able to shoot wide open and still get a solid depth of field. If you're curious you can check out the DOF calculator here: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html Use your 2s self-timer because taking a picture causes the camera to shake a slight bit. Try to lower your ISO and take use longer shutter speeds. Turn off image stabilization since you're using a tripod.

Thank you! I'll give all this a shot tonight (I was thinking enough to use the timer)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Are you sure your gorillapod is heavy enough to hold the camera without moving then? Because you defintiely have camera shake in those photos, and if you used the self timer you shouldn't have.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

HookShot posted:

Are you sure your gorillapod is heavy enough to hold the camera without moving then? Because you defintiely have camera shake in those photos, and if you used the self timer you shouldn't have.

I think it's liberal use of noise reduction, not camera shake.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Original:

Nik Tools Editing:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

CommanderApaul posted:

Original:

Nik Tools Editing:

No matter what you do, you aren't saving this photo. Sliders to 11!

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah, I was hoping I just didn't suck but in the end, there it is. :)

Thanks for the criticism and suggestions and I'll see if I can't figure this out if I go back down tonight. Flying back home on Friday afternoon.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

CommanderApaul posted:

Thanks for the criticism and suggestions and I'll see if I can't figure this out if I go back down tonight. Flying back home on Friday afternoon.

Long exposures on the mall are like easy mode. You'll get it figured out.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

CommanderApaul posted:

For the future, practice on random crap so that when you're actually in a cool place you'll be ready. Star photos - practice from your backyard, sports - practice with your animals/kids running around, panning - practice on cars, etc.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

vxsarin posted:

I think it's liberal use of noise reduction, not camera shake.

Look at the lights though in the full-size version of the one with the cars in the parking lot though. Sure, everything else is super fuzzy, but the lights look like he tried shooting stars for 30s with an 18mm lens and got just a bit of movement in them.

The ones with the big pool in them look still to me, but I'm pretty sure the one with cars is more than just sliding the noise reduction slider to the right.

But yeah, good luck tonight for sure!!

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Redemption (hopefully). Managed to get drenched walking 2 miles back to the silver line in the pouring rain for my troubles. Manually set the ISO to 100 and the shutteraperture to between wide open a f/8 and everything worked out much better. Thanks for the help. I read about stopping the shutter down to 16 or lower to get the lights to look like stars and took that poo poo waaaaay too far.

Edit: fixed, I am wet, cold and tired and my brain is no longer working.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 29, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think you're mixing up shutter with aperture. These shots are technically a lot better though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, nice job :)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Setting the aperture to smaller than f/16 might introduce refraction issues, depending on your lens. Just look up where the sweet spot for your particular lens is and stick to that when you can.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Eta aquarid watching :)

toggle fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 11, 2016

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Gas Works Park
by jvick125, on Flickr

Gas Works Park
by jvick125, on Flickr

Port of Seattle
by jvick125, on Flickr

Discovery Park
by jvick125, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

My first real meteor shower in truly dark skies. Turned out pretty good. This is a aquarid meteor. :)

Stochastic
Jul 7, 2002

toggle posted:

My first real meteor shower in truly dark skies. Turned out pretty good. This is a aquarid meteor. :)

This is cool, nice catch of the meteor! Big fan of wide field astronomy shots. Hoping to get out of the city and capture the milky way soon.

I took this last night, experimenting with long exposure traffic. I think it turned out pretty well.

Kansas City Skyline
by John, on Flickr

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Stochastic posted:

I took this last night, experimenting with long exposure traffic. I think it turned out pretty well.

It sure did.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Is four seconds long?

Kosice June-52.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Stochastic posted:

This is cool, nice catch of the meteor! Big fan of wide field astronomy shots. Hoping to get out of the city and capture the milky way soon.

Cheers!

Here's a short little timelapse of the shower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJP1i6ZxdNA

Stochastic
Jul 7, 2002

toggle posted:

Cheers!

Here's a short little timelapse of the shower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJP1i6ZxdNA

Whoa, awesome timelapse. What is your method for making those videos? Stitching together many still frames or do you speed up captured video?

I drove about an hour out of the city where I live to take some photos of the Milky Way during the last new moon. It turned out pretty well, but next time I'm going to try to take more exposures and stack them together to reduce noise.

Milky Way Ultra Wide by John, on Flickr

Milky Way 50 mm by John, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Stochastic posted:

Whoa, awesome timelapse. What is your method for making those videos? Stitching together many still frames or do you speed up captured video?

Thanks! Yeah, they are individual frames (240 shots at 20 second exposures) all sequenced up in After Effects. Mostly shot on a GH4 which isn't the best at low light/night photography.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Stochastic posted:

I drove about an hour out of the city where I live to take some photos of the Milky Way during the last new moon. It turned out pretty well, but next time I'm going to try to take more exposures and stack them together to reduce noise.

Milky Way Ultra Wide by John, on Flickr

Milky Way 50 mm by John, on Flickr

Nice ones. Stacking is where it's at, especially when you have a nice AP setup that can track for long periods. Deep Sky Stacker is good, but I broke down and bought a license for PixInsight back in the day. It's basically like it's own operating system, but man can it do some poo poo once you get into it. Astrophotography is what got my interest in photography a long time ago. I need to get back into it, but it's such a time consuming process when it takes 45 minutes to set up and 45 minutes to tear down in 0 degree weather. I'm in a nice remote location now with land and have been toying with the idea of building a permanent observatory in the top of my pole barn and getting new bad rear end equipment. I probably posted these years ago, but here are a couple of my favorites from my old system (Celestron CGEM,StellarVue 80ED,Orion 80ST,Starshoot Autoguider,Self Modded Canon 1000D):

This was a stack of 5x6 minute exposures:

Lagoon & Trifid Nebula 7-21-2012 by Eli J, on Flickr

Stack of 15x240 seconds:

Orion & Running Man Nebula by Eli J, on Flickr

Stack of 10x360sec, 15x180sec. Dark subtraction.

Horsehead & Flame Nebula by Eli J, on Flickr

These are nothing compared to a lot of AP stuff, but I am still proud of them.

Not really long exposure, but solar filters are fun to play with too:

Venus Transit - June 6, 2012 by Eli J, on Flickr