Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is Ferret Business particularly engaging? It seems to just be a lot of "craft every item from this mod" for its own sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
It's more guided exploration of mods than anything else, yeah.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Is Ferret Business particularly engaging? It seems to just be a lot of "craft every item from this mod" for its own sake.

Yes and no.

It opened up a lot of mods i had seen but never used, but it doesnt take it to the full conclusion of.

'now that you have built it, here's a good way to use it.'

But that seems to be the bane of modpacks. (really only blightfall and to a degree regrowth i have seen as having a reason to make stuff.) Ferret business gets around this by having you then work out ways for mass producing this stuff and packaging it up in order to increase your standing in the business.

But it really should give you a setup guide for the most basic (in my opinion) where it says now you have built this, attach it to this and then feed in the materials and put a chunk loader in so your mass producing X.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Is there an alternative mod to HQM yet? Apparently the NH server keeps losing its HQM data.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm sure one of IE:S/Ferret Business/Regrowth will catch my interest.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think you should play gregtech new horizons it's really good and fair

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

I just discovered the Galactic Science pack last night and it's hitting theHQM itch so far, without the Journey to the Core creeper bullshit.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Apparently the new version of Forestry will have wild beehives sting you if you try to harvest them/get too close without smoking it out first.

Because what that mod needs is MORE tedium/uninteresting additions. :effort:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

chrisf posted:

I just discovered the Galactic Science pack last night and it's hitting theHQM itch so far, without the Journey to the Core creeper bullshit.

Hope you like sieves!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

Yes and no.

It opened up a lot of mods i had seen but never used, but it doesnt take it to the full conclusion of.

'now that you have built it, here's a good way to use it.'

But that seems to be the bane of modpacks. (really only blightfall and to a degree regrowth i have seen as having a reason to make stuff.) Ferret business gets around this by having you then work out ways for mass producing this stuff and packaging it up in order to increase your standing in the business.
Hey! BFSR specifically is doing that. :colbert:

You'll have a hard time finding HQM packs that really go into detail. We can blame the modpack authors, but HQM is really hard to format towards explaining stuff. The text editor is very basic. It can't handle quickly moving up and down lines to make edits, and it doesn't support having line breaks. What I wind up doing in BFSR is trying to make an overview for the main quest body, and then break my paragraphs across subquests.

Technically, I can now export all the quest books to disk, but last time I did that, I had all kinds of problems when importing them again. Objects stopped getting correctly detected. A killer was scorched bricks for the smeltery. I have no idea how that happened because there is no metadata associated with it. I also had to import in order, and it would still screw up cross-chapter dependencies. There have been two updates since I last time, but I loathe trying it again. it is a shame because I'd love to keep the raw text in source control and allow collaborative editing.

Even if that was fixed, people are bereft of things like pictures, so I have been giving illustrated books I create with Enchridion as quest rewards so that they can thumb through a picture guide. If I could make a quest book with Enchridion, I would be quite happy. At the least, I can do offline editing with it to find all the stupid mistakes I make from crapping out all my words.

This model assumes they don't lose the book, so I have a free shop in the starting tutorial city where they can pick up every teaching resource or important dependency they need to complete particularly tricky quests.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

a nuclear reactor full of blood

Is this ship named the Event Horizon by any chance?

McFrugal posted:

Is there an alternative mod to HQM yet? Apparently the NH server keeps losing its HQM data.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2577119-better-questing-a-new-and-improved-questing-mod

Made by the Enviromine guy, it looks a lot better than HQM. I'd use it myself but I'm already 200 quests in...too late to turn back.

There's also a mod called notimefix packaged with Blightfall that seems to address some HQM error. Maybe give that a try? I used it in mine and haven't had any problems with the small test server I set up.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

mensrea posted:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2577119-better-questing-a-new-and-improved-questing-mod

Made by the Enviromine guy, it looks a lot better than HQM. I'd use it myself but I'm already 200 quests in...too late to turn back.

There's also a mod called notimefix packaged with Blightfall that seems to address some HQM error. Maybe give that a try? I used it in mine and haven't had any problems with the small test server I set up.

HQM has since updated with the notimefix issues fixed. But right, Better Questing was the one the admin was talking about, I guess I didn't actually search for it, durr.

NH is really ambitious, I hope they at least MOSTLY complete the quest book and balance/nerf everything before moving on to something else.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Jetamo posted:

Apparently the new version of Forestry will have wild beehives sting you if you try to harvest them/get too close without smoking it out first.

Because what that mod needs is MORE tedium/uninteresting additions. :effort:

I thought SirSengir quit modding MC. Was that just a bid for attention or did some devoted psychopath decide to carry on the horrible legacy?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
So I've been playing around a bit with mods for 1.8.9 and I gotta say the PSI mod is pretty neat.

Wonderfully easy to kill yourself in silly ways by making your brain pop out the top of your head or transmuting your face into TNT, but very very neat.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Re: Agrarian Skies 1

I want to make a cobalt shovel with two modifiers, flux and hammered. I can make a cobalt shovel with a thaumic tool rod for the +1 modifier but if I level it up, won't AS1 apply a random upgrade automatically? I've also tried a cobalt pick with paper binding and thaumic rod for the +2 modifiers but that thing is super slow.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mensrea posted:

Is this ship named the Event Horizon by any chance?
I had named it the USS Philadelphia in honor of The Philadelphia Experiment. I thought it would be a funny homage, but nobody I have explained it to even knew about the urban legend. It makes me sad. :(

quote:

Well, I'll give this one a spin when I get to the end of everything. At the last, I suspect I'll be able to feed the developer some bug reports from non-trivial use cases.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

Re: Agrarian Skies 1

I want to make a cobalt shovel with two modifiers, flux and hammered. I can make a cobalt shovel with a thaumic tool rod for the +1 modifier but if I level it up, won't AS1 apply a random upgrade automatically? I've also tried a cobalt pick with paper binding and thaumic rod for the +2 modifiers but that thing is super slow.

From AS 2 (not 1) i found that yes you get a random modifer when it levels up but you also get the +1 remaining. (so my flint axe got beheading, because thats super awesome for a non melee weapon and i then dropped some moss on it otherwise it have thrown it away)

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hey! BFSR specifically is doing that. :colbert:

You'll have a hard time finding HQM packs that really go into detail. We can blame the modpack authors, but HQM is really hard to format towards explaining stuff. The text editor is very basic. It can't handle quickly moving up and down lines to make edits, and it doesn't support having line breaks. What I wind up doing in BFSR is trying to make an overview for the main quest body, and then break my paragraphs across subquests.

Technically, I can now export all the quest books to disk, but last time I did that, I had all kinds of problems when importing them again. Objects stopped getting correctly detected. A killer was scorched bricks for the smeltery. I have no idea how that happened because there is no metadata associated with it. I also had to import in order, and it would still screw up cross-chapter dependencies. There have been two updates since I last time, but I loathe trying it again. it is a shame because I'd love to keep the raw text in source control and allow collaborative editing.

Even if that was fixed, people are bereft of things like pictures, so I have been giving illustrated books I create with Enchridion as quest rewards so that they can thumb through a picture guide. If I could make a quest book with Enchridion, I would be quite happy. At the least, I can do offline editing with it to find all the stupid mistakes I make from crapping out all my words.

This model assumes they don't lose the book, so I have a free shop in the starting tutorial city where they can pick up every teaching resource or important dependency they need to complete particularly tricky quests.

Yeah i know its hard to do, which is why most packs are the way that they are.

So i really appreciate when all the effort is put in. (even if i know what im doing i still make the default guide book one just because :) )

Thing is most packs are kitchen sink packs with everything thrown in, so unless you know the mods, the pack doesnt really help. Im semi enjoying Agrarian Skies 2. Ive past the point it being a skyblock, and while i am not exactly post scarcity im on the cusp.

But the mods it show-cases it goes into enough detail to actually be helpful. Point being, i have learnt more about bees in 3 quests in AG2 than in the hours i put into Bee Happy which focuses entirely on bees. And that is because BH is a build this, i give you this, then i take it back, hope you read the wiki.... whereas AG2 is, build this because it does X, oh you'll also need y and z to make it good though, here is y, make z yourself and see.

BFSR is great in the detail it gives, even in the original state ive played

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I've been taking a break from minecraft a while to play other things, but IE always sounded strangely appealing so it was sort of tempting, but all the IC2 stuff just sounds too awful.

I'm mostly praying for another amazing Blightfall style pack to pop up - tutorial packs are great and all but a lot of them just show you the very basics and then drop it and move to the next mod.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Been a while since I've played Minecraft in general, and BFSR in particular. Any of the neat stuff you've been talking about actually in the version of the mod up on Technic yet?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

RickVoid posted:

Been a while since I've played Minecraft in general, and BFSR in particular. Any of the neat stuff you've been talking about actually in the version of the mod up on Technic yet?

A lot of it is in the BFSR Beta. It is a separate one on Technic.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I had named it the USS Philadelphia in honor of The Philadelphia Experiment. I thought it would be a funny homage, but nobody I have explained it to even knew about the urban legend. It makes me sad. :(

I appreciate this reference.

Edit: VV I always thought Event Horizon was a terrible name for a ship. Like calling a boat Vortex or something.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 27, 2016

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
while i get the philadelphia experiment reference the event horizon would probably be one more people get

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
If you were trying to reference the Philadelphia experiment, you should have called the ship the USS Eldridge. I mean, it is really similar to Eldritch, AND is the ship the experiments were supposedly performed on.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So I'm trying to start up FTB Infinity Skyblock but I can't turn off the performance-eater known as Decocraft, because the FtBTrophies mod has it as a dependency, and I'd take that out too, except for some reason it appears something else is dependent on that. If anyone else wants to get it totally removed, clear the customAchievements.json file from config/customthings, which uses those trophies in achievements.
Decocraft is a really bad mod though so I'm not sure why it's even included in the first place.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I used the custom change to Decocraft available here. It includes some other good memory saving tips for IE:E. http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/guide-how-to-run-infinity-evolved-with-1-0gb-ram-allocation.149222/

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My advice is always check for Fastcraft first if you're having performance issues. A lot of packs are unplayable for me without it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Zebrin posted:

If you were trying to reference the Philadelphia experiment, you should have called the ship the USS Eldridge. I mean, it is really similar to Eldritch, AND is the ship the experiments were supposedly performed on.

When I was thumbing through NPC stuff, I did pause at the idea of Eldritch stuff. It's just so topical.

Vib Rib posted:

So I'm trying to start up FTB Infinity Skyblock but I can't turn off the performance-eater known as Decocraft,

Even if it has nothing placed out the world, does it still eat up a lot of resources?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Even if it has nothing placed out the world, does it still eat up a lot of resources?

Yes, hundreds of MB of RAM. MC is always a mess with memory, but decocraft is exceptionally bad.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Taffer posted:

Yes, hundreds of MB of RAM. MC is always a mess with memory, but decocraft is exceptionally bad.

Reading this thread and the Roguelike thread is always a little weird. Other games take 6-8 GB RAM and things like Skyrim mods will eat as much as you give them, but Minecraft's "hundreds of MB" is to much!!!

I get that it's because Minecraft's memory management can be charitably called a dumpster fire, (and a lot of people who play roguelikes would upgrade by switching to an actual toaster) but I always enjoy seeing these posts.

For actual content, has there been any rumblings about a TE release for 1.9? I'm thinking of compiling a modpack for shits and giggles, would I be better off waiting?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
TE's been stuck in 1.7.10 so long that people are making TE alternatives now...

NeoTech's been an interesting thing to play around with.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

bbcisdabomb posted:

Reading this thread and the Roguelike thread is always a little weird. Other games take 6-8 GB RAM and things like Skyrim mods will eat as much as you give them, but Minecraft's "hundreds of MB" is to much!!!
If that was all of Minecraft, or a sum total of the mods, it would be fine. But when it's one mod causing that in a pack of like 200, yes, that's a big problem.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osclEiWdCDc

McJty rapidly becoming my favorite modder

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

I get that it's because Minecraft's memory management can be charitably called a dumpster fire, (and a lot of people who play roguelikes would upgrade by switching to an actual toaster) but I always enjoy seeing these posts.

For actual content, has there been any rumblings about a TE release for 1.9? I'm thinking of compiling a modpack for shits and giggles, would I be better off waiting?

Hundreds of MB for one mod. Most modpacks have 120+ mods. You do the math.

Additionally, MC is Java so GC eats performance alive when you go over 4GB. Basically it's all a symptom of MC being terribly written, not that something using 4-7GB of RAM is inherently bad.

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009
So what's the hottest new HQM pack? I've been away from modded Minecraft for a while and could use something skyblocky that tutorializes all of the currently popular mods - like Agrarian Skies but inclusive of newer stuff.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Heffer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osclEiWdCDc

McJty rapidly becoming my favorite modder

I am so freakin' excited for 1.9 packs.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
At this point McJty just has to implement ore processing to take over just about everything.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Considering how RFTools work, ore processing would definitely be some wacky over-complicated process. Like it teleports your ore to a dimension and then forces it back through the fabric of reality splitting it into multiples in the process.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I'd love that. :D

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko, i got around to trying out the beta.

The only book i had was materials vol 2. I spawned in a forest between 2 lava pools, so the resulting fire pretty much took the game down to 3 fps (for some reason fire just lags my game sup badly) and it was the setting of the sun.

Was there at least meant to be the quest book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Black Pants posted:

Considering how RFTools work, ore processing would definitely be some wacky over-complicated process. Like it teleports your ore to a dimension and then forces it back through the fabric of reality splitting it into multiples in the process.

Considering how RFTools power generation works, this isn't that far fetched.