Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

RVProfootballer posted:

Edit: Although I haven't really been paying attention. If the fictional USA is supposed to have been destabilized and weakened and you're saying the military alone couldn't hold everything together, then fair enough.

tl;dr Yes, it's been heavily destabilized, if you're interested here is a summary of my current thinking on how:

- Some sort of massive algorithmic trading welp (coined the Perfect Storm) cratered the American economy. It may have been an emergent phenomenon, it might have been a terrorist or criminal act. A federal investigation is ongoing, but everyone is pointing fingers at everyone else, and it's going to be years before anyone figures out what happened, let alone brings anyone to account. Or indeed finds where all the money ended up.

- American politics has only gotten more divisive. There has been more budget sequestration, which affects the military particularly hard. This is exacerbated by the fact that there are no longer only two major parties - the old Dems and Republicans are still around, but they have to compete with the Greaters (who are much larger than the GOP at this point) and the Millenium Party (Sanderistas, basically).

- Thanks to the combination of the Perfect Storm and sequestration, government employee furloughs are the norm rather than the exception. Worse yet, troops haven't been getting paid for several months and desertions and disciplinary problems are rife. Think Red Army, 1991.

- Most wealth is heavily concentrated in the offshore bank accounts of major corporations and individual oligarchs. The investigative powers of the IRS have been gutted by a variety of business interests (who use both the Greaters and the Democrats as proxies, depending on their philosophical slant) as we already see in an emerging tax enforcement crisis today:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2016/03/28/irs-admits-audit-chance-is-small-and-dropping-like-a-rock/#5d841f9611f8
As a result, Apple is the largest remaining "American" bank now, and largely survived the Perfect Storm because it hoards cash like a dragon and keeps it well offshore. Its cash pile has now exceeded 1 trillion dollars (in 2016 dollars, adjusted for inflation). That might sound insane to you. Read this blog post by Charlie Stross on why it isn't:
http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2016/03/follow-the-money-apple-vs-the-.html

- Both the Perfect Storm and the revolt happen during another pivotal winner-takes-all election year, not unlike what we're seeing now. The government is paralyzed because it has no cash, no budget agreement, no idea what happened during the Storm or how to fix it, and half the people in Congress don't want any action to be taken until after the elections (just like what's happening now with the vacant Supreme Court spot that is perturbing the highest level of our justice system). The federal government is certainly unable to arrive at a decision to do things like declare martial law or authorize the US military to operate on American soil against American civillians. By the time it becomes clear that action is needed, the Greaters have already made preemptive attacks in the territory they declare as under control against federal targets, seizing power and telecom infrastructure, airports, shipping terminals and other vital assets.

- Red state governors mobilize their national guards. Desertions happen on both sides. Federal troops are not getting paid. Patriotic insurgent movements are all over the place. The Greater army coalesces out of Red-loyal national guard troops plus new recruits who have signed up to fight. Evangelicals are throwing in with them, because they think this is the Final Battle kicking off.

- Greater rhetoric calls for right-thinking Americans to rise up against the weak and morally and fiscally bankrupt Establishment, claim its resources and take back what's theirs - by force of arms. This leads to insurgent movements springing up in blue states too, particularly one where there is significant political disparity between different parts of the state (such as heavily conservative eastern Washington versus heavily liberal western Washington - where I plan to set the book). In the current crisis, Greater insurgents have now started to take over or destroy vital infrastructure that lies in their territory, and raid non-Greater communities for weapons, fuel, vehicles, food and water. Barter and piracy are the norm in combat areas.

- Most operational American forces were already deployed to the European and Pacific regions, to reassure NATO allies during a new Russian push into the former SSRs and to discourage Chinese efforts to control navigation in the vast swath of territorial waters they now claim after completing their island-building efforts in the South China Sea (again, this is happening now with the invasion of eastern Ukraine and China's base-building efforts).

- The Middle East has become virtually inhospitable to human life between decades of warfare and the increase of summer temperatures due to climate change. As such, Europe is also contending with a migrant crisis vastly worse than what we see today. Russia has used its influence in the region to direct those refugees west, further destabilizing Europe and leaving it more disorganized and vulnerable to Russia's expansionist efforts. They have reclaimed the Balkans, Belarus and are looking thoughtfully at Poland. People are seriously worried about tanks crossing the Fulda Gap in the medium term. Unfortunately, between the migrant crisis and the impact of the Perfect Storm on the European economy, the Europeans aren't in great shape - and they have always expected that the US military would be able to defend them, so they still haven't been growing their own forces.

Whew. This ended up being a long post.

Point of order: I realize this is the Space Opera thread, and I apologize for the massive derail - do you guys want to try and take this to SF&F or just roll with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Your general outline seems quite plausible and good. I like it.

I didn't think of the fact that obviously any major action would require a vote by Congress, and Congress is bound to have a decent amount of Greater supporters. Nowadays the Republicans are amazing at blocking things just to be obstinate, Greater filibusters would make world records.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Kesper North posted:

tl;dr Yes, it's been heavily destabilized, if you're interested here is a summary of my current thinking on how:

- Some sort of massive algorithmic trading welp (coined the Perfect Storm) cratered the American economy. It may have been an emergent phenomenon, it might have been a terrorist or criminal act. A federal investigation is ongoing, but everyone is pointing fingers at everyone else, and it's going to be years before anyone figures out what happened, let alone brings anyone to account. Or indeed finds where all the money ended up.

IIRC that was one of the major plot drivers in an Arthur Clarke's novel. Probably Light of other Days. The world economy grinds to a halt when a massive computer failure stops practically all the trading, and also fucks the bank bookkeeping, so noone know how much money owns.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
A US in economic collapse would be a great way to limit the use of air power in the civil war on either side. As we've seen in Libya and Syria, any kind of decent sized air campaign will be ludicrously expensive, and even keeping planes in good repair, never mind actually flying them, would place a serious strain on limited resources. And that doesn't take into account the fact the air to ground ordinance is spent at an incredibly high rate and is also extremely expensive. Between the economic collapse and sequestration, you could see the only aircraft operated by both sides being heavy airlift and maybe some helicopters.

Here's a minor problem with your setup though. If the US is in economic collapse, how are red states, many of which are net recipients of federal money or may not be the strongest economically, doing well enough that they can not only secede, but launch an all out, organized military campaign?

For example, federal funding for state National Guard units will likely dry up long before the money for paying regular Army troops runs out.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 29, 2016

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mars4523 posted:

Here's a minor problem with your setup though. If the US is in economic collapse, how are red states, many of which are net recipients of federal money or may not be the strongest economically, doing well enough that they can not only secede, but launch an all out, organized military campaign?

Officially, they're financing it with the looted treasures of captured territory. However, in the background, Russia and China have a vested interest in keeping the US busy so that they can advance their own agendas, and are providing money, equipment and supplies. See: France in 1775, using America as a proxy against the British.

Also, these days you can get a hell of a long way with enough AKs, fertilizer and ammonia. Not to mentioned hacked self-driving suicide bomb cars.

ETA: Also, technology hasn't been static for the next 20-25 years - provided you have a source of feedstock, you can print a worrying variety of things. I wouldn't say it's outside the realm of possibility to expect to be able to print steel and polymer parts for most modern assault rifles, and bootlegged templates won't be hard to find. Hell, a working 3D-printed plastic gun was making headlines a few years ago. In thirty years I expect that'll be pretty sophisticated. Turning out ammunition is simple enough machining that vast numbers of people do it at home. And don't forget that a lot of the Greater crowd have been preppin' for doomsday and hoarding ammo for years - here in 2016. In the 2040s they'll have had another thirty years to do it in.

Sure, you won't be making printed circuits or microprocessors or anything, but the bread and butter of a 21st-century insurgency is guns, explosives, drugs and disposable mobile phones.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 30, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

You might also find some inspiration from the 2006 series Jericho, if you haven't seen it. I don't think the start is very good, but it has good bits.
I was really sad when they got a tank - and then got cancelled. :smith:

Mars4523 posted:

It looks like things would have just escalated into a shooting conflict, with the National Guard just having been activated. Anyways, the government wouldn't be able to crush everything for much the same reasons that the government can't crush any of the other insurgencies it's been fighting for the past decade. Double that with the problem of the civilians the militia are hiding among being obstensibly American civilians, even if they might be sympathetic to or actively aiding the the right wing militia, and the political problems inherent in deploying heavy munitions against American cities.

Plus, there's also the concern that the American government would have no idea which military personnel (who are generally assumed to skew right in their politics) remain loyal, while some might have militia sympathies. How can you be sure that your conventional forces will obey your orders, or that they won't defect to the militia? And not only would there be issues with loyalty in the armed forces, but also among state and local authorities including law enforcement. If some red state governor declares for the militia, then all of a sudden you have a civil war,, not just an insurgency. And what if that governor tries to bring over his/her national guard as well? That would be an utter mess.

Also I want to read this book too.
"The same reasons" being that the enemy in this perceived plot are also speaking a foreign language, in a far-overseas theater? I'm sorry but all it would take is looking up where those rural mercenaries went to high school at and who they're related to.. They're not ISIS, they're more like Heaven's Gate. Especially because white hicks tend to cluster together and believe in their ow strength in numbers, whereas at some point they would just get deemed enemy combatants and have drones sent in to bomb them and all their families in reality.Being from the ethnic majority is a big shield but not THAT big..It would certainly appeal to a certain audience though (some of which already got arrested and will end up reading the novel from prison because the gubmint sat back and spent a couple years to wrangle up all their actual info and IDs before pursuing charges against the from the Bundy Ranch for instance.)

Basically the story idea sounds like Red Dawn except it's white americans versus white 'muricans, and half the 'muricans were already on the other side of that fence anyway (whch was where they learned to use those guns) and it's been historically proven time and again, that military veterans will lay down their arms when the actual military shows up with guns to stop them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blair_Mountain

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 30, 2016

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

coyo7e posted:

"The same reasons" being that the enemy in this perceived plot are also speaking a foreign language, in a far-overseas theater? I'm sorry but all it would take is looking up where those rural mercenaries went to high school at and who they're related to.. They're not ISIS, they're more like Heaven's Gate. Especially because white hicks tend to cluster together and believe in their ow strength in numbers, whereas at some point they would just get deemed enemy combatants and have drones sent in to bomb them and all their families in reality.Being from the ethnic majority is a big shield but not THAT big..It would certainly appeal to a certain audience though (some of which already got arrested and will end up reading the novel from prison because the gubmint sat back and spent a couple years to wrangle up all their actual info and IDs before pursuing charges against the from the Bundy Ranch for instance.)

Basically the story idea sounds like Red Dawn except it's white americans versus white 'muricans, and half the 'muricans were already on the other side of that fence anyway (whch was where they learned to use those guns) and it's been historically proven time and again, that military veterans will lay down their arms when the actual military shows up with guns to stop them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blair_Mountain

Eh, I think you're not quite seeing where I'm going to go with this (because I haven't really gotten into what actually happens in the plot much! Or the very strange people in this PMC! We're going a bit more gonzo than you might expect.) Only one member of the PMC is from the town; most of the rest aren't even American. Or white. They haven't been mixing with the local populace much at all - except for a pair who have taken up identities whose legends have them as a pair of newcomers to the area who opened a restaurant and bar, whose job it is to keep tabs on the locals. They're planning to hunker down for the long haul, so they're not showing themselves, and they are developing sources of information in town. The PMC's compound is well outside of town and down a remote unmarked road; only a few hunters have been up that way, and while it's a very curious sight, the patrol drones and razorwire discourage closer examination. No one in town really has any idea what the hell it is and assume it's probably some sort of secret federal site, as it is close to federal land.

Basically, a bunch of foreign brown people, including a transgendered sergeant and the result of a failed attempt at engineering a supersoldier, are going to lead the dumb hicks - and educated but rural folk - and the local Indian tribes, of which there are several - and anyone else they can to the wisdom of tolerance, inclusiveness, unisex latrines, and blowing up psychopathic, meth-crazed racist bullies in spectacular fashion. They'll get away with this because their leader is the sheriff's estranged daughter, and they'll have a lot of work to do to get to that point.

It's meant to be a response to John Ringo, remember? Pure id from a cynical intellectual liberal hipster bent instead of a racist, pedophilic jackbooted thug one. You may think those two things sound equally bad, but it sounds like fun to me so I'mma write it :sun:

And you might wanna go back and read the last few pages, we already covered why nobody's sending in the drones pretty extensively for a variety of reasons, technical, economical, strategic, and political.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I think it's a great idea that will sell a load if you get it in front of the right audience. Not even joking.

I'm just personally trying to knock holes in it from a historical/logical/strategic/etc standpoint - because that's the same test I put my own ideas through (and thus why they always get sunk 50 feet off shore). :)

Also I'm worried that posting my own story ideas could possibly end up with plagiarism of premise occurring (I dunno, is there a better term to use?) before I even get my own attempts past a dozen pages.. But I have had some experiences with being plagiarized in the past in other fields so I could just be overly paranoid. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 30, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

coyo7e posted:

I was really sad when they got a tank - and then got cancelled. :smith:

Only thing I remember about that show is the plot point when a bunch of "Marines" showed up and the cool mayor guy was a former Ranger and he figured out they were fake because they used the wrong grunt. Like they said "oo-rah" instead of "hoo-ah."

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Antti posted:

Only thing I remember about that show is the plot point when a bunch of "Marines" showed up and the cool mayor guy was a former Ranger and he figured out they were fake because they used the wrong grunt. Like they said "oo-rah" instead of "hoo-ah."

That's actually pretty clever because dumb differences like that is a point of pride amongst Marines.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Internet Wizard posted:

That's actually pretty clever because dumb differences like that is a point of pride amongst Marines.
Yeah for real. I'm pretty sure that every branch has a different grunt which they use.. It's almost the equivalent of someone pretending to be in the army but then they flash a three-finger boy scout salute.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Antti posted:

I'm probably damning myself for knowing this but I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. Army says "Hoo-ah", Marines say "Hoorah". The "Marines" revealed their fraud when they used the Army grunt instead of the Marine one.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Libluini posted:

Yeah, that ending destroyed the entire universe for me. It's like the author had a funny joke to tell and just wrote it in because it made him laugh, it's that bad!

Now his books are a good example of why a bad ending can destroy everything you build up beforehand. That ending didn't work on so many levels I could basically spend two pages just ranting about it. (I'll spare you, though.)

The ending of Absolution Gap paid off the same way the ending of Mass Effect did... Press button pick outcome gently caress up the galaxy

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mars4523 posted:

A US in economic collapse would be a great way to limit the use of air power in the civil war on either side. As we've seen in Libya and Syria, any kind of decent sized air campaign will be ludicrously expensive, and even keeping planes in good repair, never mind actually flying them, would place a serious strain on limited resources. And that doesn't take into account the fact the air to ground ordinance is spent at an incredibly high rate and is also extremely expensive. Between the economic collapse and sequestration, you could see the only aircraft operated by both sides being heavy airlift and maybe some helicopters.

For example, federal funding for state National Guard units will likely dry up long before the money for paying regular Army troops runs out.

All true and probably an underestimate of the dislocation of a civil war. The entire US economy and military would rapidly become unrecognizable in an armed conflict. Its an incredibly complicated interdependent system of logistics, production, and finance that keep everything running. In a civil war, it all breaks down and reverts to a simpler level. Outside players supplying arms would be the primary source of advanced weaponry outside of the first year or two. Possibly sooner depending on the course of the breakup. it could all be gone upside down by the time where people actually start shooting. Once debts/taxes stop getting paid, you'll see utter economic collapse strongest in the financial/services/tech sectors and manufacturing/farming the ones that fair best and become the centers of power that determine the course of events.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell, without Texaco providing underhanded (and illegal) fuel to Franco (on credit, which was also illegal - Texaco's owner paid less than $30k in fines for all of the poo poo he did), WWII might have ended much, much earlier.

Imagine how the US mil-industrial machine would break down when everyone stopped selling fuel to them. MRAPs get like 5-9 mpg, iirc?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 2, 2016

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

coyo7e posted:

Hell, without Texaco providing underhanded (and illegal) fuel to Franco (on credit, which was also illegal - Texaco's owner paid less than $30k in fines for all of the poo poo he did), WWII might have ended much, much earlier.

Uh, I'm not sure of that. The Spanish Civil War _could_ have had a different outcome (but I'm afraid Hitler or Mussolini would have provided that son of a bitch of everything he needed), but in that case it could have meant one more country for the allies to liberate (in case the germans would have considered worth of it to invade the spanish republic).

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Another thing to consider is that, depending on what has happened in the intervening years, an American economic shock to the point of collapse would basically gently caress the entire world economy.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Kesper North posted:

Eh, I think you're not quite seeing where I'm going to go with this (because I haven't really gotten into what actually happens in the plot much! Or the very strange people in this PMC! We're going a bit more gonzo than you might expect.) Only one member of the PMC is from the town; most of the rest aren't even American. Or white. They haven't been mixing with the local populace much at all - except for a pair who have taken up identities whose legends have them as a pair of newcomers to the area who opened a restaurant and bar, whose job it is to keep tabs on the locals. They're planning to hunker down for the long haul, so they're not showing themselves, and they are developing sources of information in town. The PMC's compound is well outside of town and down a remote unmarked road; only a few hunters have been up that way, and while it's a very curious sight, the patrol drones and razorwire discourage closer examination. No one in town really has any idea what the hell it is and assume it's probably some sort of secret federal site, as it is close to federal land.

Basically, a bunch of foreign brown people, including a transgendered sergeant and the result of a failed attempt at engineering a supersoldier, are going to lead the dumb hicks - and educated but rural folk - and the local Indian tribes, of which there are several - and anyone else they can to the wisdom of tolerance, inclusiveness, unisex latrines, and blowing up psychopathic, meth-crazed racist bullies in spectacular fashion. They'll get away with this because their leader is the sheriff's estranged daughter, and they'll have a lot of work to do to get to that point.

It's meant to be a response to John Ringo, remember? Pure id from a cynical intellectual liberal hipster bent instead of a racist, pedophilic jackbooted thug one. You may think those two things sound equally bad, but it sounds like fun to me so I'mma write it :sun:

And you might wanna go back and read the last few pages, we already covered why nobody's sending in the drones pretty extensively for a variety of reasons, technical, economical, strategic, and political.

Please have technicals jury-rigged with salvaged railguns cut off of more expensive/less easily usable military hardware. Like, with massive makeshift battery banks and haphazard cabling. Because that's loving awesome.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Keeper North posted:

I can't help but be reminded of that series of books about an American town being displaced into Germany during the Thirty Years war (I forgot the name).

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Kassad posted:

I can't help but be reminded of that series of books about an American town being displaced into Germany during the Thirty Years war (I forgot the name).

1632 by Eric Flint.
Where the union mine workers, a black inner city doctor and some Jewish people save the day. Published by baen, same as Ringo.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Please have technicals jury-rigged with salvaged railguns cut off of more expensive/less easily usable military hardware. Like, with massive makeshift battery banks and haphazard cabling. Because that's loving awesome.

I hear electric cars have lots of batteries now. Stick an ultracapacitor or two on that bitch and go to town. It really shortens your driving range though, I should think :v:

(Obviously you couldn't manage anything remotely close to the naval railgun they want to stick on the Zumwalt).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ianmacdo posted:

1632 by Eric Flint.
Where the union mine workers, a black inner city doctor and some Jewish people save the day. Published by baen, same as Ringo.

It's always been so bizarre to me that Baen publishes Flint's stuff.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Chairman Capone posted:

Flint and Bujold; between them they make up for rather a lot of Ringo and such.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Kesper North posted:

I hear electric cars have lots of batteries now. Stick an ultracapacitor or two on that bitch and go to town. It really shortens your driving range though, I should think :v:

(Obviously you couldn't manage anything remotely close to the naval railgun they want to stick on the Zumwalt).

Totally could do with tank guns. :v: It is, after all, supposed to be near future.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Groke posted:

Flint and Bujold; between them they make up for rather a lot of Ringo and such.

I feel comfortable adding David Drake to that first list, too.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Khizan posted:

Me too! He always gets lumped in with all the trash mil-scifi, but his work has always been a bit different. Just a bit more thoughtful.

I mean his milscifi is from the point of view of the soldiers most of the time, so you only get their thoughts, but he doesnt seem to glorify them as much as other authors.
Like they when they do horrible stuff its not always justified as them being clear thinking ubermensch as opposed to those stupid liberals. Its mostly just that the soldiers are hosed up too.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Khizan posted:

Yes. Also Ryk Spoor (aka good old Sea Wasp from rec.arts.sf.written, I always liked his stuff).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

ianmacdo posted:

Me too! He always gets lumped in with all the trash mil-scifi, but his work has always been a bit different. Just a bit more thoughtful.

I mean his milscifi is from the point of view of the soldiers most of the time, so you only get their thoughts, but he doesnt seem to glorify them as much as other authors.
Like they when they do horrible stuff its not always justified as them being clear thinking ubermensch as opposed to those stupid liberals. Its mostly just that the soldiers are hosed up too.

Isn't this because Drake starting writing milsf to deal with his trauma from Vietnam?

I might be confusing him with another author, but I'm almost certain Drake was actually in the service before he began writing.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Most of Baen's business relationships were based on who Jim Baen was personal friends with. That they publish a large number of right-wing whackos has more to do with the sort of people Jim Baen became friends with than for any other reason.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Isn't this because Drake starting writing milsf to deal with his trauma from Vietnam?

I might be confusing him with another author, but I'm almost certain Drake was actually in the service before he began writing.

Yes Drake and Joe Haldeman both had lots of stuff to work through.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Yes, He was in a tank unit in Vietnam. The Hammer's Slammers series is really good and it seems very personal.

Edit:

http://david-drake.com/2009/vietnam/

G-Mach fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 4, 2016

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Chairman Capone posted:

Baen the person has always been right wing as hell. But Baen the company has never had any kind of ideological message they want to present.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

A lot of Drakes early short stories are literally Vietnam war stories where he's added one scifi/horror element so that he can sell it to a magazine.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I did that thing we talk about here sometimes and I jumped directly from Caliban's War to Nemesis Games.

I'm 200 pages in and it works out beautifully. All the stuff that happened in the two intervening books is more like off-screen backstory and not that significant to the plot at hand. The book's clearly written so that you can just jump in and for once it works in my favour. Usually I'm a stickler for reading everything in a series and in order so I just skim all the "previously on..." type stuff.

If the TV series takes off I can just watch that to fill in the gaps!

Edit: Exactly like book 2, I just gobbled it up in two nights. It was great fun. I'm saddened some people have probably dropped out of the series due to books 3 and 4.

General Battuta posted:

No, it's real bad, but Nemesis Games is very very strong (arguably the best book of the five). It's clearly meant as the middle pivot of the series arc, so I blame Cibola's weakness on the bloat up to a 9 book contract.

I would agree that it's the best (holy crap these character arcs are actual arcs now) and it's basically the second act of the series i.e. absolutely everything goes to poo poo and there's an even bigger bad out there waiting.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 13, 2016

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Just reread those Red Rising books that had been talked about earlier. Definitely one foot in YA and one in Space Opera, but loving awesome. Really fast, really fun, really worth snagging and devouring over a long weekend.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

pugnax posted:

Just reread those Red Rising books that had been talked about earlier. Definitely one foot in YA and one in Space Opera, but loving awesome. Really fast, really fun, really worth snagging and devouring over a long weekend.

The audiobooks are a fantastic way to experience these books, because the narrator really nails all the inspiring speeches.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Looking for some recommendations. Over the past few years have gone through all of Banks' Culture novels, The Scalzi Old Man's War series, most of Vernor Vinge's stuff and just finished Alistair Reynolds Revelation Space trilogy.

I enjoyed all of these very much. What's the consensus on James Corey's Expanse series? If I liked the above would it be a decent read? If not any other recommendations? Also while not quite space opera I enjoyed the 1st two Cixin Liu books translated so far.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

That Works posted:

Looking for some recommendations. Over the past few years have gone through all of Banks' Culture novels, The Scalzi Old Man's War series, most of Vernor Vinge's stuff and just finished Alistair Reynolds Revelation Space trilogy.

I enjoyed all of these very much. What's the consensus on James Corey's Expanse series? If I liked the above would it be a decent read? If not any other recommendations? Also while not quite space opera I enjoyed the 1st two Cixin Liu books translated so far.

Alas, there is no consensus. The majority here likes them, I don't.

If you like Reynolds, most of us think that House of Suns is his best work. Also, I don't know whether you've read Banks' The Algebraist, a standalone novel outside the Culture series that I personally find the most amusing and the most starwarsy of his books.

Greg Bear's The Forge of God/Anvil of Stars is an extremely depressing duology that is also his best work IMO. The less I tell you about it, the more you'll enjoy reading it.

And, of course, Frank Herbert's Dune. The rule of thumb is, go by date of publication, read the first book, then give up when the sequels stop being fun. And skip everything by Brian Herbert/Kevin J Anderson.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mcustic posted:

Alas, there is no consensus. The majority here likes them, I don't.

If you like Reynolds, most of us think that House of Suns is his best work. Also, I don't know whether you've read Banks' The Algebraist, a standalone novel outside the Culture series that I personally find the most amusing and the most starwarsy of his books.

Greg Bear's The Forge of God/Anvil of Stars is an extremely depressing duology that is also his best work IMO. The less I tell you about it, the more you'll enjoy reading it.

And, of course, Frank Herbert's Dune. The rule of thumb is, go by date of publication, read the first book, then give up when the sequels stop being fun. And skip everything by Brian Herbert/Kevin J Anderson.

Read the Greg Bear, Frank Herbert ones already. I haven't read the Algebraist or House of Suns yet though so thanks for that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

That Works posted:

Seconding the "House of Suns" recommendation. It's one of his best.

I also just made a recommendation in the sci fi / fantasty thread.

Quoted from there:

quote:

I finished "Children of Time" by Adrian Tchaikovsky a couple of weeks ago and loved it. It's about the survivors from a post war uninhabitable earth and solar system checking out a pre war terraformed planet. You find out pretty early in the story what the deal with the planet is but I don't want to ruin as it was cool to go into it knowing nothing. I definitely got the feeling that Adrian Tchaikovsky is a big Vinge fan. There's a lot of similarities with "A Deepness in the Sky", although I think his portrayal of an intelligent Arachnid civilization was done much better than Vinge's. One of the best books I've read this year.

• Locked thread