Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

treasureplane posted:

King Aroo (April 4, 1951)

I guess all olde comics and fairytales have some racist baggage - but "without a violin, a gypsy's just another tramp" sounds harsh, especially coming from a bunny. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

L1 - Stop charging thug with Batarang

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Trickjaw posted:

This is a Nancy strip we can all enjoy.
It would be a lot better if certain characters switched places.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wanamingo posted:

Pluggers

welp
I literally laughed out loud at this for like 5 minutes. I can't believe they made this one.
Yes, Charles, those lies looks like the truth, but it's not.

root posted:

What kind of loving face is that in the middle panel? He looks like he has two mouths...
That's the "quivering-chin-about-to-cry" thing, but it's poorly placed, unnecessary due to other facial features, and doesn't really fit either the situation or the character's face/head shape anyways. He's doing it because he's a hack artist who is good at aping the style of another cartoonist but without understanding what he's doing or why.

F Minus

Hard to blame the dog here. It isn't like he's Poncho or something. But Poncho wouldn't care anyways. He'd be happy he ruined the sweater that belongs to that cat-loving woman that lives with him and his master.

Mary Worth

"Well you see he was the silly one that only cared about pizza."
I apologize for the TMNT joke, but they named like 3 of them here and I couldn't help it.

Rex Morgan MD

Ah the old "Museum Gift Shop Book" get-rich-quick scheme.

Secret Agent X-9

Well it could be because they're just starting out and all the parties are heavily invested and if they lost their one and only ship they'd all be ruined, but what do I know.

Apartment 3-G

Hm Margo and LuAnn both have dates but Tommie is left at home who'd have thunk?

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Wanamingo posted:

Andertoons

I don't understand what this chart is trying to convey.

(I actually like Andertoons, but it's kind of jarring to see one that's not set in the boardroom)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Esplanade posted:

I don't understand what this chart is trying to convey.

(I actually like Andertoons, but it's kind of jarring to see one that's not set in the boardroom)

Andertoons occasionally has some really good non-boardroom jokes

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 11/01/15

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Just in case you were wondering how it was originally presented, here are the strips from April 26 - 28, 1968.

Judge Parker

Oh no! Neddy might lose her meal ticket! :ohdear:

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Aardmania posted:

Just in case you were wondering how it was originally presented, here are the strips from April 26 - 28, 1968.

:stare: It's been so long since the last time Chester Gould-era Tracy was posted I'd nearly forgotten how brutal it was, Christ.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Poil posted:

It would be a lot better if certain characters switched places.

You mean

??

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Forktoss posted:

You mean

??

Yessssss

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Uh, duh? To make Peter look like he's talking to himself.

Trilobite posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Like Zereth points out above, Dr. Strange is his actual name: he has a phone number and neighbors, he can't have people thinking that he spends his time hanging out with Newspaper Spider-Man. That's the kind of thing that makes people cross the street when they see you walking towards them.

You guys are right on the money.

Dr. Strange is an rear end in a top hat to The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

No, Eve's just doesn't want to talk to you.

Luann

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Gosh, I can't imagine why he'd cut off all contact with these fine people.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (April 29-30, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (September 27-29, 1954)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big)

Holy poo poo it's unsettling to read an "unwanted pregnancy" strip that was produced years before Roe v. Wade.

treasureplane posted:

Today I'm adding Lil' Abner to my dailies. One of the most popular strips in the world during its prime, Lil' Abner focuses on the titular Lil' Abner Yokum, a hillbilly from the town of Dogpatch, and his various misadventures.

Lil' Abner (October 12, 1936)

As I recall, last time we tried doing a run of L'il Abner, the general decision was that it's too mean-spirited... and also, Al Capp was a rapist.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set lives large.

Working Daze references that thing the kids like.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix can't believe what it's hearing.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

SomeMathGuy posted:

:stare: It's been so long since the last time Chester Gould-era Tracy was posted I'd nearly forgotten how brutal it was, Christ.

I fondly remember how nasty the Locher-era strips posted in previous incarnations of this thread could be. Villains would meet their end under steamrollers or by being torn apart by vicious dogs, while the short-armed, clenched-fist Dick Tracy stands around and makes a quip about it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

Hobnob posted:

I fondly remember how nasty the Locher-era strips posted in previous incarnations of this thread could be. Villains would meet their end under steamrollers...
The Locher strips had a manic, almost dream-like quality to them. I remember the crappy pacing of the dailies made it seem like that one guy got ran over several times by the same steamroller...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

root posted:

The Locher strips had a manic, almost dream-like quality to them. I remember the crappy pacing of the dailies made it seem like that one guy got ran over several times by the same steamroller...
Wasn't there a sequence where a guy got out of a cab like five or six times?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Has Purdy been mentioned in the current story at all, or are we just expected to know the name of a character who died in 1968?

God, how many novelty items of clothing did Luann buy?

Hobnob posted:

I fondly remember how nasty the Locher-era strips posted in previous incarnations of this thread could be. Villains would meet their end under steamrollers or by being torn apart by vicious dogs, while the short-armed, clenched-fist Dick Tracy stands around and makes a quip about it.
The current team has done a few of those, but they seem to have backed way off on them since they started. Actually, they've backed way off on everything, really. When they first started, things happened. Crimes were committed, and investigated, and criminals died horribly. Hot Rize was buried alive and suffocated in flour by her boss, who was then murdered in revenge by Blaze. It was pretty great. Now I cna't even remember what the last storyline was or when was the last time someone died, even a relatively tame death. I guess maybe those guys who got stuck in the space coupe when it went flying out of control into space?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
For the rest of my life any trip to the bank will be a trip to the GODDAMN BANK

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Tiggum posted:

Has Purdy been mentioned in the current story at all, or are we just expected to know the name of a character who died in 1968?

Purdy has been mentioned in previous strips, but this was the last mention of him back in February. It's pretty easy to miss though because of the way this strip jumps from topic to topic during a story. This strip was run during Tracy's trip to Cuba.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

or are we just expected to know the name of a character who died in 1968
That's kind of Staton and Curtis' whole thing though.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

I know it's a nitpick, but an art history professor calling the dude 'da Vinci' irks me.

As for the relationship between Blandy Blunt Cut and Professor Moustache Ride -- ick.

Demon Child's 80% royalties...ah hahahahaha. I think the best I've ever done was 5%, and that ended up being split three ways as we've got three editors on the collection.

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 28, 2016

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Ah the old "Museum Gift Shop Book" get-rich-quick scheme.

Wait, wasn't this stupid book specifically about the mafia lady's museum? Why would all these museums be buying up something that's basically an advertisement for a different museum? I mean, I know the real answer is "the entire world operates so that it is most advantageous to the Morgans" but still, gently caress off.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Garfientelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Skippy (February 27-28, 1929)

Peanuts (May 10, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 6-7, 1929)

And just like that, we get another caption to tie around a theme...and in this case, a character.

The Worry Wart was the only OOW character that got his own comic book. It was a Four Color, though, so there was only one issue. Obviously he grew into the sweater by the 50s.

Thimble Theater, in which our favorite mutant sailor gets a useful loophole. (November 15, 1929)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 29, 2016

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Hmm, I am not yet convinced that Wedgeman's class ring is huge. Hopefully we will get more strips this week espousing this idea, so I can be certain that that's :thejoke:.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

We don't talk about One Big Happy much, so I want to say it seems like a nice harmless family strip that's even a cut above the likes of Family Circus or other "oh precious children" strips but every so often you can tell it's firmly rooted further in the past than even newspaper strips get away with. It belongs with Luann in the "offensively vanilla suburban family who time forgot" category.

And also, every time someone's in profile, it looks like their mouth is hanging open and they're one second away from drooling.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

My Lovely Horse posted:

We don't talk about One Big Happy much, so I want to say it seems like a nice harmless family strip that's even a cut above the likes of Family Circus or other "oh precious children" strips but every so often you can tell it's firmly rooted further in the past than even newspaper strips get away with. It belongs with Luann in the "offensively vanilla suburban family who time forgot" category.

And also, every time someone's in profile, it looks like their mouth is hanging open and they're one second away from drooling.

That profile view is definitely my least favorite thing about that strip. It's still fun from time to time though. Or atleast harmlessly cute, which I'm ok with.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

OH NO, LUANN, YOU, A YOUNG ADULT, CANNOT PARTAKE OF THE DEMON DRINK. REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED THAT TIME GUNTHER DRANK A BEER????????? HE IS STILL PAINSTAKINGLY MAINTAINING THAT lovely BEARD.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Yeesh, Newspaper Spidey, be a bigger doof.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Same.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

OH NO, LUANN, YOU, A YOUNG ADULT, CANNOT PARTAKE OF THE DEMON DRINK. REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED THAT TIME GUNTHER DRANK A BEER????????? HE IS STILL PAINSTAKINGLY MAINTAINING THAT lovely BEARD.
Reminder that Pru got Luann on a list for a club she wasn't actually old enough to be in. What did Pru think would happen there? (Nothing. Because Pre-NY Luann was boring, unlike Post-NY Crazy Luann!)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cassiopeia is another easy one to remember. It's a circumpolar constellation that is shaped like a W.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Luann strikes me as one of those assholes who goes to Spain for a week and then insists on pronouncing Barcelona "Barthelona."

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why they bothered to move Luann's age forward when she's still mentally 13.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

You can only see it in winter? I guess finding out you're Ted Forth is better than discovering you're a plugger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strontium posted:

Garfientelligent Life
OK, so everything about Intelligent Life is terrible, but seriously, that thought balloon in the last panel is just egregious. When we can clearly see the air-guitar going "poof", you don't need to also tell us that that is happening! :argh:

My Lovely Horse posted:

One Big Happy is nowhere near Luann. It's sometimes good, sometimes bad, mostly fairly neutral. Luann wishes it could aspire to being neutral.

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man
Those people must be tourists. Real New Yorkers know that Spider-Man talks to himself like a crazy person all the time.

• Locked thread