Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

I missed Demon Ruins on my first character. I just went through it on my second character, and I can safely say gently caress Demon Ruins. My least favorite zone by far.

yeah, it blows, but it became much more manageable when you just run past everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sssssssssssso is there a better way to grind Darkmoon covenant items or do I really have to just wait to invade

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BillmasterCozb posted:

Sssssssssssso is there a better way to grind Darkmoon covenant items or do I really have to just wait to invade

Kill Silver Knights. The pair at the AL bonfire will do. I think a goon earned over a million souls from the pair before getting all 30 items, mind.

Krinkle posted:

I'm a bad invader but even I've had people alt+f4 or whatever the gently caress the preferred NOPE method is after getting lucky and killing their summon. If the host disconnects and I'm still here, gently caress you pay me. Give me my thing. They forfeited. I get the prize. Disconnect them from the multiplayer until they burn their once-per-character reconnection tool and give me my goddamn vertebrae shackle.

Tie goes to the mother loving runner. Why is "whoops lost connection" my problem?

Yeah, this annoys me something fierce. It's not exactly game breaking to reward the person who didn't toss their connection out, but does save some frustration.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

poptart_fairy posted:

I think a goon earned over a million souls from the pair before getting all 30 items, mind.

If only. I've probably made 1.25m or so there in the three or four stints I've done at 310 discovery, and I'm about halfway there.

The real answer for Darkmoon/Sentinel covenant items is "don't" unless you're one of the lucky people who inexplicably gets hits every 30 seconds or you really, really want the spell/ring achievements and you're playing on a console.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Willfrey posted:

yeah, it blows, but it became much more manageable when you just run past everything

The first time you don't know where to run to or what's important.

In future runs I will just grab the undead bone shards, estus shards, and boss fight and get out.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Let us make a goon covenant to always be Bluebabies so two covenants can actually work.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Broseph Brostar posted:

That's how it should be on paper, but it's not how it works in game. Do you actually do any PvP?

ropa posted:

I would ask the same. I have 3 pvp toons: swordspear, dual flame pyromancer and uchi. The swordspear wins against the shortsword so hard you don't even get to trade once unless you outplay me super hard or parry my one hand R1 that basically stops you from trading even if you roll through it (because the recovery is fast enough I can get out) unless you predict and roll before I attack, but that's still outplaying, and anyone can beat anyone if they're better, regardless of weapon.

The short swords gets outranged by plenty of weapons and plenty of weapons have stronger staggers. You're telling me you trade even with everything that's just bullshit bro.

You get poked by most popular PVP weapons (all of them have more range than the shortsword) before you even get in range and that stops your swing. That's how it works in paper, and in game.

You can't beat a weapon with more range unless you outplay them, you're never going to trade unless they mess up, and if you trade with a weapon with more range, it also probably (can't think of one that doesn't) does more damage so you're still losing the trade

fight
FIGHT
FIGHT

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

cheetah7071 posted:

I missed Demon Ruins on my first character. I just went through it on my second character, and I can safely say gently caress Demon Ruins. My least favorite zone by far.

Correct way to play that place is run past all the demons that cast fireballs. They fight around these pillars they can hit through but they will stop your swings.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the only enemies i've ever killed in the demon ruins are the rats, tsorig, and the black knight. i just ran past everything else because gently caress that poo poo.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If only. I've probably made 1.25m or so there in the three or four stints I've done at 310 discovery, and I'm about halfway there.

The real answer for Darkmoon/Sentinel covenant items is "don't" unless you're one of the lucky people who inexplicably gets hits every 30 seconds or you really, really want the spell/ring achievements and you're playing on a console.

Fingers crossed the summon range widening does something. :v:

Just got the Darkmoon and Warriors of Sunlight to go now, at least.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Bogart posted:

Let us make a goon covenant to always be Bluebabies so two covenants can actually work.
I run WoB whenever I'm embered up. Last night I got invaded in LC and was hanging out by DB bonfire waiting for the guy. Not hiding, just standing towards the back so I could see him coming from either direction. He ran past me without looking and up the stairs. I started to head after him when I got notification a bluebro had come in. Then about 10 seconds later I got notice a second one had come in too. They caught him at the bridge and smashed his rear end to paste. So 2 guys got an ear. I'm doing my best.

Dumb story aside this wouldn't be that difficult, would it? I noticed Fextralife is having a "community event" this weekend where they'll switch off from WoB to a flavor of bluebro to try and farm items. Do passwords work with those covenants so you'll only get assisted by someone with the password? If so just hang out in a high traffic area and spam the finger.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Are there any fights where you should summon NPCs to advance their quests?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

StashAugustine posted:

Are there any fights where you should summon NPCs to advance their quests?

There's a couple of NPCs you can summon to learn gestures, but otherwise no. Siegward comes in to a certain fight, automatically, as human and other storylines have you getting summoned into the NPC's world.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
There's one ridiculously obscure thing where you need to summon a guy and keep him alive through a boss (Great Swamp Cuculus for the Old Demon King in Smoldering Lake) to get a weapon by running back to a way earlier zone. But it's pretty marginal compared to the Lucatiel/Bernhard stuff in Dark Souls 2

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I end up attempting the Crystal Sage 4-5 times. I end up dying as I defeat the boss but good news the souls and items pop so I've triggered "beating it". No problem, I'll just run back to the arena and collect my souls. Thing is despite dying, the ember is restored aaaandd I end up getting invaded by a blue man. I'm right by the boss door so I figure gently caress it, and summon a gold dude to help out. He's standing expectantly by the boss door so I point away from it and we're off to deal with blue man. Thing is blue man is just carting us through room after room of enemies that I just ran past to get to the boss door. We're really scraping along but I'm feeling pretty confident we can deal with him 2 v 1. Cue the PURPLE GUY invading and then all of a sudden I'm off in one room fighting purple guy and gold dude is off in the next room fighting blue man all the while mobs are still blindsiding both of us from all directions. It eventually becomes too much and I end up dying just close enough so that I can look down the hall to see gold dude meeting his maker as well.

It was pretty Dark Souls, which is to feel I was feeling right at home.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know, the sword master isn't that hard to kill right off the bat when he isn't somehow instant cancelling out of his weapon art to 360 parry you.

e: Weird how you can't backstab him though.

e: Oh he's standing on thin air now, ok. That's cool.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 27, 2016

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Yolomon Wayne posted:

My DS3 evening:

Spend 5 minutes to kill the dragon, get oneshot by Nameless King.

Unable to summon Phantom...

I asked the IRC to phantom for me and they told me to upgrade my weapon to +10 and I did and then I beat him my next try, no phantom. I couldn't even see any signs.

You can visceral him and I did it twice, don't know what you need to do to get a visceral chance but I was hitting him in the back.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

There's one ridiculously obscure thing where you need to summon a guy and keep him alive through a boss (Great Swamp Cuculus for the Old Demon King in Smoldering Lake) to get a weapon by running back to a way earlier zone. But it's pretty marginal compared to the Lucatiel/Bernhard stuff in Dark Souls 2

That's a real pain in the rear end to do, too.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Like in DS1 is there a 'all these fuckers have useful things, go kill them' before I face the final boss?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Pierson posted:

Like in DS1 is there a 'all these fuckers have useful things, go kill them' before I face the final boss?

DS1 invented it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

My DS3 evening:

As someone how did a Dex build, don't fight the Draagon with lockon turned on, and crank up the volume. His attacks all have distinct audio cues.

For Nameless King, always dodge to your right and constantly circle-strafe to the right.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

RabidWeasel posted:

I just started using the exile GS for PvP yesterday and between this and someone recommending a washing pole secondary to finish off people trying to estus I think I'm gonna have a good time.

Quoting myself, trip report: this is the most fun I've had with PvP in this game so far, two awesome weapons which play totally differently, huge damage, 1 shott riposting estoc / straight sword spammers, etc.

Of course having to devote 25 units of weight just to your two stupidly huge swords is kind of a pain but there's a downside to everything!

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

I earned 3 million souls in ng++ doing this with 400+ item find.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Dragonslayer shield completely neuters the NK. You've got to be patient though - one or two attacks at most before going on the defensive again. He has definitive pauses in his attack chains but will gently caress you up at the slightest chance. I felt a bit hollow killing him though, gotta admit. Beyond wanting more stuff to kill there's no reason to go up there and start poo poo. :saddowns:

Also, is it just me or or is his weapon hand trembling as he prepares to mercy kill the Dragon? If so, goddamn FROM.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm an idiot and didn't type 'checklist' there for some reason. I mean is there a list of NPCs to murder for useful stuff before starting New Game+?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

Stay around the very first bonfire in Lothric Wall

Alot of guys have been Darkmoon farming there

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

RBA Starblade posted:

You know, the sword master isn't that hard to kill right off the bat when he isn't somehow instant cancelling out of his weapon art to 360 parry you.

e: Weird how you can't backstab him though.

e: Oh he's standing on thin air now, ok. That's cool.

He doesn't need to cancel out of his weapon art to parry you. Katana hold + 'heavy attack' does a parry.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I almost never do any PVP so somebody explain what I'm sure is obvious to everybody else please - I was in the swampy area in the Road of Sacrifice and took an ember in order to get "invaded" by one of the NPCs - Yellowfinger. As we were fighting, I was invaded by another person but when they showed up they were blue. I was under the impression the blue guys were the "good guys" who help you out, and indeed the guy attacked Yellowfinger as well. After Yellowfinger died I went to use a bow gesture to show my appreciation when the guy just went apeshit on me and killed me, then bowed and returned to his own world.

So does it just not matter what color they are, if they enter your world they can (and will) kill you? In which case, what is the point of being blue or red?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Is anyone else loving crashing to desktop every 15 minutes?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

ropa posted:

I would ask the same. I have 3 pvp toons: swordspear, dual flame pyromancer and uchi. The swordspear wins against the shortsword so hard you don't even get to trade once unless you outplay me super hard or parry my one hand R1 that basically stops you from trading even if you roll through it (because the recovery is fast enough I can get out) unless you predict and roll before I attack, but that's still outplaying, and anyone can beat anyone if they're better, regardless of weapon.

The short swords gets outranged by plenty of weapons and plenty of weapons have stronger staggers. You're telling me you trade even with everything that's just bullshit bro.

You get poked by most popular PVP weapons (all of them have more range than the shortsword) before you even get in range and that stops your swing. That's how it works in paper, and in game.

You can't beat a weapon with more range unless you outplay them, you're never going to trade unless they mess up, and if you trade with a weapon with more range, it also probably (can't think of one that doesn't) does more damage so you're still losing the trade

I have pvped a lot with a great club and a morning star and a bit with a winged knight halberd and I am going to make up a pickaxe next and this person seems to be telling the truth and not all the people who talk about how powerful straight swords are.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yerok posted:

Is anyone else loving crashing to desktop every 15 minutes?

No, I actually fight my invaders.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.

Jerusalem posted:

I almost never do any PVP so somebody explain what I'm sure is obvious to everybody else please - I was in the swampy area in the Road of Sacrifice and took an ember in order to get "invaded" by one of the NPCs - Yellowfinger. As we were fighting, I was invaded by another person but when they showed up they were blue. I was under the impression the blue guys were the "good guys" who help you out, and indeed the guy attacked Yellowfinger as well. After Yellowfinger died I went to use a bow gesture to show my appreciation when the guy just went apeshit on me and killed me, then bowed and returned to his own world.

So does it just not matter what color they are, if they enter your world they can (and will) kill you? In which case, what is the point of being blue or red?

Was he completely or blue with red accents?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Harrow posted:

If you're comparing the attack rating you see on the sheet, it's deceptive. Split damage is penalized pretty heavily because it has to go through multiple defenses. The non-scaling AR is going to be higher but the effective damage is lower.

That said, Sharp is a... weird infusion. It's going to be better than normal if you're a Dex-heavy build but worse than Heavy and significantly worse than Refined on drat near any weapon. Apparently DS1 Strength scaling applies here, meaning that if you can manage 27 Str/40 Dex you're getting pretty much full scaling on a Refined weapon if you two-hand. There's very rarely a reason to go Sharp.

I'm pretty sure even a weapon like the Gotthard Twinswords is going to be better Refined than Sharp even if you only have like 20 Strength.

And then you have the weird poo poo. If you make the Large Club Sharp (what are you doing, sticking nails in it?) it gets loving A scaling with Dexterity.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is, if you're leveling to 100 or 120 or so, just don't go pure Dex ever. Either go quality--you have the points for it--or a hybrid buffing build, or Dex/Luck if you're feeling fancy. Pure Dex ain't a great option except probably for a very small amount of weapons.

Sharp infusions seem to generally be better on weapons that are dex-focused to begin with. Let's take the Uchi. At +10, the standard Uchi gets D Str and C Dex scaling at +10. Making it refined turns the STR scaling to plus C, but the Dex scaling stays at C. Going heavy removes Dex scaling altogether and bumps Str scaling to C. And finally, going Sharp drops the STR to E and dumps the Dex to B.

I'd like to see how a refined Uchi stacks up against a sharp one at 40 Dex and 13 STR damage-wise both singled-handed and two-handed. I might experiment a bit tonight, because if you're rolling a dex build and planning to 2-hand 100% of the time, it might make more sense to go refined.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

In that specific area you can get invaded by a covenant which protects that place. There are two such covenants and you found the first. :haw:

They're all shades of blue but should be marked as Watchdog of Farron, or Aldrich Faithful, if they're hostile.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

BillmasterCozb posted:

Nope. At this point I'm probably going to take a break from the game and hope it's fixed soon (Diablo season starts soon anyway, may as well), since I've done basically everything else already.

e:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Stay around the very first bonfire in Lothric Wall

Alot of guys have been Darkmoon farming there
I'll have to try this. Hopefully SL25/+4 isn't too high for that though...

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 27, 2016

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Siljmonster posted:

No, I actually fight my invaders.

I will gladly die to an invader as soon as I can play without the crashing randomly.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Begemot posted:

So it's probably based on the starting TOTAL value of the scaling across all stats, which you can then transfer to other stats with infusions.

No.

It's all done by hand. Every weapon-infusion combination is defined by hand.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 27, 2016

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Well here's a dumb question: does your weapon upgrade tier for PvP carry across characters? Because I started a new guy and have been trying to helpful purple phantom but I keep getting summoned by people with all sorts of hosed up weapons who then proceed to wreck me. One dude was 2h a Havel's shield and some others have stuff they really shouldn't have by Undead Settlement.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

SubponticatePoster posted:

Well here's a dumb question: does your weapon upgrade tier for PvP carry across characters? Because I started a new guy and have been trying to helpful purple phantom but I keep getting summoned by people with all sorts of hosed up weapons who then proceed to wreck me. One dude was 2h a Havel's shield and some others have stuff they really shouldn't have by Undead Settlement.

No. It's done by character.

Again, I know this because I edit the value in question to test Darkmoon autosummoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

poptart_fairy posted:

In that specific area you can get invaded by a covenant which protects that place. There are two such covenants and you found the first. :haw:

They're all shades of blue but should be marked as Watchdog of Farron, or Aldrich Faithful, if they're hostile.

Ahh okay, that makes some sense then. I just saw blue and went:

http://i.imgur.com/lV7wt83.gifv