Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

this starfy sprite is yet another shining example of Nintendo spitting in America's face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Motto posted:

this starfy sprite is yet another shining example of Nintendo spitting in America's face

Starfy owns actually

You can't say "Stars and Stripes forever" without the word "star" :colbert:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Macaluso posted:

Starfy owns actually

Can confirm that Starfy owns.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
NoA is selling off the majority of its stake in the Seattle Mariners

It's the end of an era

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Macaluso posted:

Starfy owns actually

Starfy opposed the draft during Vietnam.

He's a lover not a fighter.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I didn't even know that was a thing

Which position did they have Bill Trinen playing

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I have no idea what a baby metal is so hearing "It's the most popular thing ever" is kinda weird to me. Like on a few other sites I'm also seeing "who?" so... :shrug:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Its okay to be uncultured swine

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Whoa, I knew Nintendo owned a big interest in the Mariners, never knew that Howard Lincoln was the CEO. Crazy stuff

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I would rather more nintendo characters like Wonder Red then random rear end Japanese centric people no one outside of Japan gives a poo poo about.

Like where's Ryu or Roy or the rest of the smash cast, why not a classic wario skin or wonder red or something.

I'm outside Japan and I like Babymetal.

And in any event, I would not be surprised if a content update rolls out that activates the remaining Smash amiibo as costumes.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have no idea what a baby metal is so hearing "It's the most popular thing ever" is kinda weird to me. Like on a few other sites I'm also seeing "who?" so... :shrug:

It's a group out of Japan that combines J-pop with death/thrash metal. They have exploded in popularity over the last year and a half.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Help Im Alive posted:

I didn't even know that was a thing

Which position did they have Bill Trinen playing

It was a pretty big thing when they purchased their share back in the early 90s and people were still paranoid that big Japanese businesses/conglomerates were going to buy up everything American.

Hell, it's the reason why we got so many Ken Griffey Jr. games for SNES and N64.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Babymetal for those who haven't heard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY

Whether it's your thing or not, it's certainly a unique thing and you can't deny that. They'd also have improved #FE a million times over. I'm pretty sure that's Skullomania on drums.

So with this year's E3 being focused entirely on Zelda for Wii U and Pokemon S&M for 3DS, will there be anything else to unveil? They're obviously petering out WIi U development in favor of NX, but with no NX news this E3, I can't imagine there being a whole lot to talk about for their E3 Direct. The new Kirby game, I guess.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 28, 2016

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Handsome Ralph posted:

It was a pretty big thing when they purchased their share back in the early 90s and people were still paranoid that big Japanese businesses/conglomerates were going to buy up everything American.

Hell, it's the reason why we got so many Ken Griffey Jr. games for SNES and N64.

It's also how we got N64 Kiosks for Ken Griffey Jr.'s Major League Baseball in ballparks across the country for a bit.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Things just haven't been the same since the era of Ken Griffey Jr. video games.

Now we'll never get Ken Griffey Jr. in Smash.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Not a Children posted:

Whoa, I knew Nintendo owned a big interest in the Mariners, never knew that Howard Lincoln was the CEO. Crazy stuff

Yamauchi stepped in in the very early 90's and bought a majority stake in the team to keep the Mariners in Seattle.

A lot of people from outside of Seattle had very strong opinions about a Japanese man buying a majority stake in an american baseball team, and a lot of people raised a big stink.

At the time, Nintendo was pretty much the only game in town in the US for consoles, the SNES and Genesis weren't out yet and the SMS was a wet fart compared to the NES. This was also the peak era of Nintendo being really crappy and anti-competitive with their system. (i.e. price-fixing, 5 games a year per publisher, etc)

Not to mention that there was a cultural fear in the US at the time that Japanese companies were going to buy everybody out.

Handsome Ralph posted:

It's also why there used to be a DS app that you could use to order food at Safeco field.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Suspicious Cook posted:

So with this year's E3 being focused entirely on Zelda for Wii U and Pokemon S&M for 3DS, will there be anything else to unveil? They're obviously petering out WIi U development in favor of NX, but with no NX news this E3, I can't imagine there being a whole lot to talk about for their E3 Direct. The new Kirby game, I guess.

Maybe a new smash character :smugmrgw:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

sharrrk posted:

how is it?

It's real sad

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Baby Metal would be okay if you just removed the metal part of the music and replaced it with anything else. What I'm saying is that metal music sucks.

Also, I will be getting a NX at launch. I'm officially a Nintendo fanboy.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Waltzing Along posted:

Baby Metal would be okay if you just removed the metal part of the music and replaced it with anything else. What I'm saying is that metal music sucks.

Also, I will be getting a NX at launch. I'm officially a Nintendo fanboy.

So another word, you want J-pop?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cyron posted:

So another word, you want J-pop?

It's better than metal. Reggae? Better than metal. A flock of sheep farting? Better than metal.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What about nu metal

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FirstAidKite posted:

What about nu metal

Nu metal is better than heavy metal.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Not to mention that there was a cultural fear in the US at the time that Japanese companies were going to buy everybody out.

Ah, I remember those old halcyon days. At least it was more plausible than in the late 2000's when people thought China was going to buy everybody out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Astro7x posted:

There is a huge problem at E3 with trying to show off games that are not even ready.

I am surprised Nintendo showed off Zelda so early, only for the Wii U to be the only console without its own exclusive Zelda game.
excuse me Hyrule Warriors is an A-tier Zelda game

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

excuse me Hyrule Warriors is an A-tier Zelda game

its also not an exclusive anymore

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

WadeBartender posted:

Neither is any other 3D Zelda game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sam Faust posted:

Neither is any other 3D Zelda game.

Skyward Sword is. :v:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Waltzing Along posted:

Nu metal is better than heavy metal.

Well, they did that too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaIBp6k4X3M

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

WadeBartender posted:

I mean it was at launch, thanks to Virtual Console and 3DS ports no Zelda is exclusive

Artix posted:

Skyward Sword is. :v:
It'll be on Wii U/NX eventually, no doubt about that

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think I figured it out: the NX is a Nintendo-made Lets Play Channel, that's what they meant with Zelda U launching on both, it'll come out on the Wii U and its Lets Play will come out day 1. They pulled Retro from their Wii U game to make a Dark Souls 3 lp.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Man, but seriously, what is Retro working on? It's definitely an NX project by now but the question remains what the project actually is. I'm almost curious if they're secretly working on Zelda NX and assisting with the whole open-world aspect since open-world is generally a more western game developer thing. I'd love to hear that Metroid Prime 4 is in progress for NX but I feel like that's rather unlikely. Aside from possibly Zelda or Metroid, or maybe a 3rd DK game I have no clue what they could be up to.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Wow Babymetal is incredibly stupid

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FPzero posted:

Man, but seriously, what is Retro working on? It's definitely an NX project by now but the question remains what the project actually is. I'm almost curious if they're secretly working on Zelda NX and assisting with the whole open-world aspect since open-world is generally a more western game developer thing. I'd love to hear that Metroid Prime 4 is in progress for NX but I feel like that's rather unlikely. Aside from possibly Zelda or Metroid, or maybe a 3rd DK game I have no clue what they could be up to.

They're working on the Animal Crossing mobile game

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Louisgod posted:

another bad louisgod post

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Louisgod posted:

That's what I like about them

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FPzero posted:

They're working on DKCR3 for the NX. And for me. The Rocket Barrel is back

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Louisgod posted:

That's the point!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Macaluso posted:

They're working on DKCR3 for the NX. And for me. The Rocket Barrel is back

The guy who programmed the rocket barrel in DKCR released an eShop game a couple months back that's basically a rocket barrel shmup, I forget what it's called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The guy who programmed the rocket barrel in DKCR released an eShop game a couple months back that's basically a rocket barrel shmup, I forget what it's called.

WHAT

• Locked thread