Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Literally any carrier is better than Sprint, and T-Mobile has free audio streaming on their plans, so you shouldn't even need that much data (though unlimited is available if you feel you need it).

Yeah, any current flagship should be a big upgrade from an M7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Is there a preferred high end android phone at the moment?

I'm in the uk, I've just paid off my htc one m7 and my current contract is too good to give up, so I'm planning to buy a new handset up front. Gotta be O2 compatible, I think I'd prefer to stay on android. Mostly used for games whilst pooping, watching videos on my lunch break and strava/music player for running.

I'm leaning towards the s7, but I have a couple of minor concerns. I currently have a great deal of difficulty syncing music and playlists from iTunes on my pic to the sd card on my phone. Does Samsung/android have a decent sync app? I currently use isyncr but it has great difficulty with sd cards. Secondly, I hear it has some mildly intrusive bloat ware. Can I just slap nova launcher over the top of it and ignore the Samsung stuff?

Finally, are there any comparable or slightly lower spec phones I might like more?

Oh, yeah, finally is there any greater risk than usual in buying it from ebay?

tarbrush fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 16, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tarbrush posted:

Is there a preferred high end android phone at the moment?

I'm in the uk, I've just paid off my htc one m7 and my current contract is too good to give up, so I'm planning to buy a new handset up front. Gotta be O2 compatible, I think I'd prefer to stay on android. Mostly used for games whilst pooping, watching videos on my lunch break and strava/music player for running.

I'm leaning towards the s7, but I have a couple of minor concerns. I currently have a great deal of difficulty syncing music and playlists from iTunes on my pic to the sd card on my phone. Does Samsung/android have a decent sync app? I currently use isyncr but it has great difficulty with sd cards. Secondly, I hear it has some mildly intrusive bloat ware. Can I just slap nova launcher over the top of it and ignore the Samsung stuff?

Finally, are there any comparable or slightly lower spec phones I might like more?

Oh, yeah, finally is there any greater risk than usual in buying it from ebay?

If you liked the M7, the HTC 10 has been getting great reviews.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

I'm looking to upgrade my Galaxy Nexus and I've pretty much decided on getting a Galaxy S5 (the S7 is outside my price range, and the S6 doesn't have a microSD slot). Amazon's got it listed at $400 new, however its anywhere from $180-$300 for a new one on Ebay. Is there anything I should look for to make sure I'm not buying a refurb being passed off as new? Pretty sure the < $200 might fall into this, since every one I've looked at says it only comes with generic chargers/boxes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can do a lot better than an S5 for $300, never mind $400.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

Such as? My constraints are:

* $300-400 max
* good camera and battery life
* must have a microSD slot
* can't be a phablet, I have a hard enough time as it is with using my galaxy nexus one handed
* Verizon

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can get a brand new Moto X Pure for $350 that hits all of that.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

You can get a brand new Moto X Pure for $350 that hits all of that.
That phone is the borderline definition of a "phablet". It's a good phone tho.

Space Opera, there is a terrible trend going on right now. You can't get high end hardware in a small package, you need to go over 6 inches for anything worthwhile. I've ran into this problem earlier in the thread.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

That phone is the borderline definition of a "phablet". It's a good phone tho.

Space Opera, there is a terrible trend going on right now. You can't get high end hardware in a small package, you need to go over 6 inches for anything worthwhile. I've ran into this problem earlier in the thread.

Unless you go iPhone.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nitrox posted:

you need to go over 6 inches for anything worthwhile.
:quagmire:

I wish they'd bring back nice thick bar phones with giant batteries that last forever. "Lets see how thin we can make 'em without them bending" is crap.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check out the X pure and see if I can find a store demo. I might find that the larger size doesn't bother me as much as I think it might.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my current phone from the blackberry Z10 to something android. I never particularly liked the Z10 as it was a hand me down and am looking for good options to look at. And also which features are just useless to consider.

Country/Provider: Canada, Virgin Mobile

Current contract status: Month to month, Plan $39.90 (taxes included) 300 anytime minutes, 300 MB data

Budget (phone/plan): Phone: $500

Features I know I want: Android and half decent camera

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm shopping for a new phone for my fiancee.

Verizon preferably, because of the quality of that service in our area/her office.

Phone needs: Battery & Camera are the most important factors. Not huge (<6"). Android.

Any recommendations? My current thought is just the Galaxy s7.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I think the only small Android with a good camera is 2014 MotoX. I've been looking and can't find anything that is small and better quality.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
A Galaxy S7 is slightly narrower and a hair taller than the Moto X 2014. But if the requirement is just under 6", then anything besides a Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, and Moto X Pure will be fine in terms of size. Nexus 5X is cheap, smaller than many flagships, and good camera. That or a Galaxy S7 are probably best bets in Android land.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
FWIW I got an unlocked S7 on Ebay for $500 and it's totally legit/unopened etc. Obviously beyond the stated budget, but like someone else said don't pay $400 for a S5.

It came from Iran, if the Persian on the manual is anything to go by.

Battery life is much better than my S3, and the camera is exceptional.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm looking to upgrade my sisters phone. She really likes Samsung and using it for photos, but it doesn't need to be the latest-and-greatest. We live both in America and Sweden so the clincher is that it needs to be able to take SIM cards both places.

Country + Provider: USA (T-Mobile), Sweden
Budget: $500
Features: Samsung with Android, good camera, unlocked so it can work in both countries

Thanks as always!

e: I settled on a factory unlocked S6 Edge, thanks anyway

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 22, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nitrox posted:

I think the only small Android with a good camera is 2014 MotoX. I've been looking and can't find anything that is small and better quality.

Is the moto g much bigger?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
My nephew is turning thirteen and my mom is considering getting him a cell phone. What is the cheapest plan (prepaid or otherwise) that will allow him access to a phone with basic gaming specs (like Moto E level)?

Mobile data is not desired. If he doesn't have wifi, he shouldn't be doing anything with the phone that requires data. We expect that he will use very little in the way of talk time.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

PBCrunch posted:

My nephew is turning thirteen and my mom is considering getting him a cell phone. What is the cheapest plan (prepaid or otherwise) that will allow him access to a phone with basic gaming specs (like Moto E level)?

Mobile data is not desired. If he doesn't have wifi, he shouldn't be doing anything with the phone that requires data. We expect that he will use very little in the way of talk time.

https://www.textnow.com/wireless

Moto E - $5
500MB data - $19/month

After 2 months, tell them you want to cancel and they'll double the data allowance.

slidebite posted:

Is the moto g much bigger?
No. But it's worse in every spec, especially the camera.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I'm looking for a phone to replace my Note 3.

Carrier: Verizon, US
Features: ideally similar size to Note 3 (~5.7 inch), SD card that can be pooled with internal memory (the HTC 10 called it adoptable memory), decent battery life, will get updates to Android at a reasonable speed and still be supported a few years down the line.

It looks like if I wait for the HTC 10 that might fit the bill, but if there's something out already that is similar I'd love to know.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Idle query: I have a Galaxy Nexus acquired via SA-Mart that still works fine, but some of my games on it are chuggy and others won't run on it. It's running Kitkat 4.3 and is showing its age. Carrier is T-Mobile Prepaid and I get/make about five phone calls a month on it -- it's more of an Android iPod Touch running over wifi than a smartphone proper, which is good enough for me.

What's a cheap ($100 or less) used upgrade these days that'll run Lollipop and improve app performance a little bit? Not expecting miracles in that price range.

EDIT: Had the Nexus 5 suggested to me as being in that general area plus a little, depending on specs. Reasonable?

delfin fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 26, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't really imagine you'll do a whole lot better than a Nexus 5 for $100. If you're willing to go to $200, though, you can switch to Google Fi and get a new Nexus 5X, which will get you a better phone and likely cheaper service if you're using it as little as you're saying.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Country + Provider: USA (T-Mobile) currently; no contract
Budget: Best option?
Features: I have an unlocked HTC One M8 and I'm going to be overseas (Taiwan & Czech Republic) for a little over a month. I see that T-Mobile has a 2gb international plan for $50/month but since my phone is unlocked could I just get a local carrier SIM and use that? If so what's the process involved for that? Apologies in advance if this has been asked a million times, but I didn't see this addressed in the OP or FAQ.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You might be able to get local SIMs if your phone has the appropriate band support and the local providers even do that. It's probably better to see if there's thread in A/T or LAN for the places you're going.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
I'm looking for primarily a new phone, possibly a new plan. I spend a ton of time traveling, hiking, camping, etc. andAnd the galaxy s6 isn't cutting it. I saw this but it seems a tad out of date.

Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Current contract status: Edge 10gb data, no contract.

Budget (phone/plan): After the phone, <$100/month for unlimited text/talk/10gb data. I'm willing to consider extra for unlimited data.

Features I know I want: *Removable battery
*Expandable memory/sd slots
*Availble, durable case (bonus points for a waterproof one)

NovaLion fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 28, 2016

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

NovaLion posted:

I'm looking for primarily a new phone, possibly a new plan. I spend a ton of time traveling, hiking, camping, etc. andAnd the galaxy s6 isn't cutting it. I saw this but it seems a tad out of date.

Budget (phone/plan): After the phone, <$100/month for unlimited text/talk/10gb data. I'm willing to consider extra for unlimited data.

Sounds like you want an LG G5.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NovaLion posted:

Most phones don't have a removable battery. The only one that does currently is the G5, and it has poor reviews. Personally, do what I do, I just have a battery backup I keep in my bag or pocket. I rarely need it, but when I do I have it, does the same thing.

So that might mean you should look at the S7, it has expandable memory and the phone is waterproof, put it in a life proof case and it should live through hell.

If you have the 10GB plan on Verizon, if you upgrade you should be able to get 12GB+2GB bonus. If you want unlimited you'll have to look elsewhere, but coverage out in the boonies will be worse.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
Looking to finally ditch sprint with my girlfriend, money's tight and we're definitely overpaying as it is. Has t-mobile gotten significantly better with their coverage over the past few years?

She's not picky, but I need a nexus phone. Looking to pick up a nexus 5x on ebay right now to bring over.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Ryen Deckard posted:

Looking to finally ditch sprint with my girlfriend, money's tight and we're definitely overpaying as it is. Has t-mobile gotten significantly better with their coverage over the past few years?
It's fine so long as you live near a metropolitan area.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I have absolutely no coverage issues with T-Mobile in Minneapolis, but if I went too far afield I'd be hosed.

Cricket's a good alternative if you're worried about coverage as it uses AT&T's network and their plan prices are pretty low (and they offer a small discount for setting up autopay).

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Just coming to the end of the worst phone contract I ever had. It was 24 months, overpriced and for an iPhone 5c which I hated because the screen kept breaking and ended up using my old Samsung s4 instead for half of this time.

I am looking to reduce my costs as I am paying far too much for what I need and am not sure whether to buy a new phone SIM Free ( for around £300) and get a call plan separately (for around £12per month) or get a contract for around 25 pounds a month which includes a hand set. So I am looking at both routes. I am not a heavy user and can get away with 1gb per month data so I don't need a pricey plan.

From research I think either the Sony xperia z5 compact or Samsung s6 could work for me. I do prefer smaller phones (which is why I bought the stupid 5c last time) but there are some excellent contract deals for the s6 and on contract the s6 is cheaper but to buy outright the Sony is cheaper... Camera is important to me and the reviews rave about the s6 camera but I worry about the battery life. How much of an issue is the battery on the s6? Also I have been told the s6 has not got the newest version of android, I s this true???

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

nerd_of_prey posted:

Just coming to the end of the worst phone contract I ever had. It was 24 months, overpriced and for an iPhone 5c which I hated because the screen kept breaking and ended up using my old Samsung s4 instead for half of this time.

I am looking to reduce my costs as I am paying far too much for what I need and am not sure whether to buy a new phone SIM Free ( for around £300) and get a call plan separately (for around £12per month) or get a contract for around 25 pounds a month which includes a hand set. So I am looking at both routes. I am not a heavy user and can get away with 1gb per month data so I don't need a pricey plan.

From research I think either the Sony xperia z5 compact or Samsung s6 could work for me. I do prefer smaller phones (which is why I bought the stupid 5c last time) but there are some excellent contract deals for the s6 and on contract the s6 is cheaper but to buy outright the Sony is cheaper... Camera is important to me and the reviews rave about the s6 camera but I worry about the battery life. How much of an issue is the battery on the s6? Also I have been told the s6 has not got the newest version of android, I s this true???

The Z5 seems like it'll suit your needs better, both phones are on the latest version of Android though.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Ryen Deckard posted:

She's not picky, but I need a nexus phone. Looking to pick up a nexus 5x on ebay right now to bring over.
Have you looked at Google's Project Fi? You get a 5X for $200 and it uses both Sprint and T-Mobile's network (automatically switches to whichever has better signal where you are.)

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
I have a SPRINT SERO account with a Samsung Galaxy S7 and am traveling to Italy for a couple weeks.

I plan on picking up a Google FI account with a Nexus 5X for international travel. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Well gently caress. So I've had Cricket for about a year and I really like it for the most part. It's cheap and really simple. I live in the PNW and coverage has been great. However Cricket has a bubble in SW Wisconsin that has absolutely zero coverage and my parents apparently live right in the middle of it. I contacted support and they said there was nothing they could do. So before I visit next time I want to see how I could deal with it. Do I need to just switch carriers? It's hard to find carriers that have good coverage in both the Midwest and the West Coast it seems like. I'd strongly prefer to not have a contract for reasons just like this one. Any suggestions? If it matters I have a Motorola Moto X Pure Edition and would like to keep it if possible.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 10, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

About the only carrier that has consistent coverage nationwide is Verizon. I don't think there's anywhere that's covered by someone else but NOT Verizon. Expect to pay out the rear end compared to Cricket or accept a much more limited data plan, but I do believe your phone will work on it without any issues (though it would be best to go to a corporate store to get set up since Verizon is still weird about giving you a SIM without a phone, even when it's completely within their policies to do so for phones that allow it).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

About the only carrier that has consistent coverage nationwide is Verizon. I don't think there's anywhere that's covered by someone else but NOT Verizon. Expect to pay out the rear end compared to Cricket or accept a much more limited data plan, but I do believe your phone will work on it without any issues (though it would be best to go to a corporate store to get set up since Verizon is still weird about giving you a SIM without a phone, even when it's completely within their policies to do so for phones that allow it).

2 reasons they won't just give you a SIM:
1. SIMs are inventory, no way to sell one out in the system without activating it. So any SIM just given out hurts operations. Retarded, but it is what it is.
2. If it's a new line the reps make commission and would much rather just set it up in store.

How often do you visit Wisconsin in a year? If it's like, once a year, you could also get a cheap Verizon jetpack, activate it on prepaid for a month, hotspot off of it for a connection, and then just shelf it until you next need it.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I like the sound of the Verizon jetpack but it's just WiFi right? The problem was my voice and texting not working.

Would T-Mobile work possibly? Their coverage out west doesn't look super thorough but they do have WiFi calling so I think I could make calls and texts just on that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HondaCivet posted:

I like the sound of the Verizon jetpack but it's just WiFi right? The problem was my voice and texting not working.

Would T-Mobile work possibly? Their coverage out west doesn't look super thorough but they do have WiFi calling so I think I could make calls and texts just on that right?

If you just want talk and texts, have you considered a cheap prepaid phone? You end up paying per minute and per text so they aren't great for long conversations, but it might be okay if you are happy with your regular service and just need something elsewhere occasionally. Plus you can roleplay that you are a drug dealer or something using a burner phone.