Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kak
Sep 27, 2002
Beta 1 people can mess around this weekend, but it's still running on alpha code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
When is beta 2 estimated for? I looked at their page and saw a picture of a beard glasses guy holding a nerf crossbow at work only to reflect on how it cost probably about what I contributed to this video game that isn't ready for me to beta test yet three years later. I will try to keep my posts here 50 percent more optimistic than the Shroud of The Avatar thread, only because if both fail I will look and feel very dumb.

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

extra stout posted:

When is beta 2 estimated for? I looked at their page and saw a picture of a beard glasses guy holding a nerf crossbow at work only to reflect on how it cost probably about what I contributed to this video game that isn't ready for me to beta test yet three years later. I will try to keep my posts here 50 percent more optimistic than the Shroud of The Avatar thread, only because if both fail I will look and feel very dumb.

We have no estimate for Beta 2 access atm. Beta 1 is scheduled for before the end of winter. The game is still in Alpha. The access that Beta 1 testers have now is not full access, it is a compromise because Beta has been significantly delayed.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I don't follow this very well but is a Q2 2017 release looking likely?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ExHumus posted:

We have no estimate for Beta 2 access atm. Beta 1 is scheduled for before the end of winter. The game is still in Alpha. The access that Beta 1 testers have now is not full access, it is a compromise because Beta has been significantly delayed.

End of winter...so even if beta 2 began 3 months after beta 1 ends, beta 2 would still be two years behind? How is this even possible to do with rich guy funding and another 4 million or something from the public?

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I don't follow this very well but is a Q2 2017 release looking likely?

At this rate that is literally when beta 2 will begin. Maybe a Christmas 2018 release?

edit

I'll add nice words: This game has like 45 really cool looking classes, but I definitely would rather have 20 sooner than 45 later. Seems like a huge task. Also is there a general agreement that we're playing Vikings or are you guys some kind of furries?

extra stout fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 19, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
As a programmer, I'm going to let you in on a secret. Whenever someone working in tech gives you a release estimate, add at least 50% to whatever they say. Software devs are notoriously bad at judging the time a project will take.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Pavlov posted:

As a programmer, I'm going to let you in on a secret. Whenever someone working in tech gives you a release estimate, add at least 50% to whatever they say. Software devs are notoriously bad at judging the time a project will take.

That is the secret to being a "good" dev. When someone asks for an estimate take your initial reaction and double it.

There is a world of difference between the time it takes to get something working and the time it takes to get it working right.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Same rule goes for when I'm asked to commission some installation in a chemical production facility. Big difference in time to get something working, and to be at the point where there is no way the operators can gently caress it up any way.... those bastards always find a way to operate the installation in a way it was not supposed to be used.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Alpha players: how playable do you estimate the beta 1 version of this game will be? I'm sort of dying to play a decent pvp mmo, so that in mind should I pay up for beta 1 or wait for beta 2?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Space Monster posted:

Alpha players: how playable do you estimate the beta 1 version of this game will be? I'm sort of dying to play a decent pvp mmo, so that in mind should I pay up for beta 1 or wait for beta 2?

As something you can get invested in? Not very. As a nice PvP snack food? Probably decent enough.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Orv posted:

As something you can get invested in? Not very. As a nice PvP snack food? Probably decent enough.

Snack food will do. Thanks.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'd still wait and see how it shakes out. The beta will basically be entirely different aside from tech, so there's no telling how complex it'll be.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Orv posted:

I'd still wait and see how it shakes out. The beta will basically be entirely different aside from tech, so there's no telling how complex it'll be.

Fair enough. Hadn't put money down, won't until I see goons in this thread having fun.

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer
Out of all the MMO's in the works, this is probably the only one i am most hopefully will be good. Hope it is going well still!

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I played a fuckload of DAOC back in the day, and went looking for DAOC videos to check out online. Found info about this. Kind of interested in the Fire Warden as I loved my Fire Wizard back in the day.

Just wondering - Are they intending to split the servers into US/Europe/Oceania?
Are they going to do the same thing they had with DAOC (ie similar powersets being shared across different classes in a mix)? Because that really pissed me off as an Alb player.
Is this a PvP only game, or is there poo poo to do like back in DAOC where you could just run about having fun with mates in your own realm?

Holo
May 9, 2013

The Dark Project posted:

I played a fuckload of DAOC back in the day, and went looking for DAOC videos to check out online. Found info about this. Kind of interested in the Fire Warden as I loved my Fire Wizard back in the day.

Just wondering - Are they intending to split the servers into US/Europe/Oceania?
Are they going to do the same thing they had with DAOC (ie similar powersets being shared across different classes in a mix)? Because that really pissed me off as an Alb player.
Is this a PvP only game, or is there poo poo to do like back in DAOC where you could just run about having fun with mates in your own realm?

This is what I'm wondering - is there any pve element whatsoever? I am looking forward to this, but I really liked the pve to break up the pvp in the original daoc, and I can't seem to find any concrete info on it. If you go and get repeatedly destroyed by the other realms for a few hours, it can be nice to go mindlessly hit some bears for a bit.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The only PvE stuff to my knowledge is The Depths, which we have basically no useful info on at this point. As of the Kickstarter the intent was to have a game entirely without PvE, but they've changed a bunch of things since then.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
They've been releasing some screenshots and concept art on their FB page lately but no other concrete info that's new.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
That bums me out. I have friends which aren't much into PvP, but loved the PvE aspect of DAOC. Unfortunately we were all hitting level 50 when Atlantis came out and hosed everything up with Master Levels, which made PvP a bit of a nightmare when you had Enchanters being able to burn down a group in seconds by spamming PBAoE's amongst a stunned group of people. Kind of killed the enjoyment. But the PvE aspect was great fun, especially in Shrouded Isles. I am hoping the Uthgard server comes back up, and that it has the Shrouded Isles content, but I am not holding my breath.

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

extra stout posted:

End of winter...so even if beta 2 began 3 months after beta 1 ends, beta 2 would still be two years behind? How is this even possible to do with rich guy funding and another 4 million or something from the public?

The severe beta delay was due to unexpected difficulty in hiring programmers to fill out their team.

Space Monster posted:

The Beta will start with very bare-bones type stuff, but more will be added as the beta progresses. The beginning of Beta 1 will be when it crosses the threshold from focusing purely on engine/tech to starting to add real content to the game.

Holo posted:

This is what I'm wondering - is there any pve element whatsoever? I am looking forward to this, but I really liked the pve to break up the pvp in the original daoc, and I can't seem to find any concrete info on it. If you go and get repeatedly destroyed by the other realms for a few hours, it can be nice to go mindlessly hit some bears for a bit.

Orv posted:

The only PvE stuff to my knowledge is The Depths, which we have basically no useful info on at this point. As of the Kickstarter the intent was to have a game entirely without PvE, but they've changed a bunch of things since then.

The Depths will still be PvP-oriented. Even the big bosses in the Depths will be player-controlled. (Assuming nothing has changed from what little we know about the Depths at this point.) One thing we do know is that there will be absolutely no progression from PvE in any area of the game, though there may be mobs that exist to fill out the environment.

Holo
May 9, 2013

The Dark Project posted:

That bums me out. I have friends which aren't much into PvP, but loved the PvE aspect of DAOC. Unfortunately we were all hitting level 50 when Atlantis came out and hosed everything up with Master Levels, which made PvP a bit of a nightmare when you had Enchanters being able to burn down a group in seconds by spamming PBAoE's amongst a stunned group of people. Kind of killed the enjoyment. But the PvE aspect was great fun, especially in Shrouded Isles. I am hoping the Uthgard server comes back up, and that it has the Shrouded Isles content, but I am not holding my breath.

I'm sort of in the same boat - I'm a bit worried this is just going to feel like Planetside - Medieval Edition: go shoot mans for an hour or two then get bored and log out.

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Holo posted:

I'm sort of in the same boat - I'm a bit worried this is just going to feel like Planetside - Medieval Edition: go shoot mans for an hour or two then get bored and log out.

I'm hoping the crafting/building system will be a good way to kill time outside PvP.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've never played DAoC so I have a really basic question:

How does this game (or games like this) work at a big picture level? Is it like Planet Fall with mmorpg characters, where you're exclusively fighting other PCs for control of territory/castles/mines etc? If s, does the server reset territory control at some point? Or might you eventually roll a weaker side all the way back to some unconquerable "capitol" or something?

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

How does this game (or games like this) work at a big picture level? Is it like Planet Fall with mmorpg characters, where you're exclusively fighting other PCs for control of territory/castles/mines etc? If s, does the server reset territory control at some point? Or might you eventually roll a weaker side all the way back to some unconquerable "capitol" or something?

Unconquerable capital (+surrounding territory which I think is non pvp?). To keep it fresh i think zones can shift position and the buildable keeps are destructible. Anyone who isn't talking out of their rear end please correct me.

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Jack B Nimble posted:

There will be balancing mechanisms in place to prevent one side from dominating. Details regarding what those systems will be exactly are still pending.

Dirk Smacker
Jan 1, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

It seems CSE is designing the time-to-kill, travel times, defensive infrastructure, and capture mechanics as to prevent quick conquering of enemy realms.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Tri-Realm in DAoC also balanced itself somewhat that if one realm was dominating, the two others would somewhat refrain to attacking eachother and rather focus on the dominating realm.
I fully avoided the word "cooperate" because that never really happened.

Of all the games I think Guildwars 2 has a really nice system in their WvWvW : 3 servers of similar strength get paired, and this rotates monthly or so.
Unfortunately the musical keep warfare was not what I look for in a game like this.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
We had some cooperation on guinevere when albion was dominating. I remember the hib and mid armies found each other, formed lines, and didn't attack except for a random few. Like solo guys would go out and aoe them then get slaughtered and there was no more retaliation. The albs were not happy then.

GW2 tried to do a nice WvW system but hosed it all up to where it is a god drat train around the zone capping small objectives where people try to avoid fighting. ESO got the map and objectives right for their RvR then hosed up the rest of the game.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

GW2 tried to do a nice WvW system but hosed it all up to where it is a god drat train around the zone capping small objectives where people try to avoid fighting. ESO got the map and objectives right for their RvR then hosed up the rest of the game.

This 100X. The thing is the population of MMO players has gotten too big to make it one open world. So they either have to instance stuff (making it all feel very pointless as nothing has permanent consequences) or put population caps per side resulting in horrible queue's.

If the PvP area for CU is really really huge, and realms have enough place to expand this might not be an issue. Very important to not allow ANY form of fast travel though as this would result in zergs and blobbing.

I also mainly played on Hib Guinevere back on live 10 years ago. Or was it even longer? drat.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Evernoob posted:

Tri-Realm in DAoC also balanced itself somewhat that if one realm was dominating, the two others would somewhat refrain to attacking eachother and rather focus on the dominating realm.
I fully avoided the word "cooperate" because that never really happened.

Of all the games I think Guildwars 2 has a really nice system in their WvWvW : 3 servers of similar strength get paired, and this rotates monthly or so.
Unfortunately the musical keep warfare was not what I look for in a game like this.

The problem with the rotational system in GW2 is that guilds can purpose gently caress your server if they want to prevent them from tiering, or keep themselves in the highest tier. It's like match fixing and a guild with a few dozen coordinated people can, and have done it (Case in point: the sordid history of Yak's Bend)

In a three way system like CU is proposing, I think the shakeup of resources like they proposed will keep things fluid, especially if guild hall/keep locations remain more static. Not sure what else can be done beyond this, except incentivizing losing factions with some kind of resource gain buff or something.

Calibrex
Dec 9, 2011

The Dark Project posted:

Per one of the online scheduled twitch streaming sessions, Max answered this:

Q: is CU a pure PvP game or any PvE elements?
A: RvR, there is a small amount of PvE elements but no traditional quests or PvE progression.

A follow-up comment was something about how just about everything will be revolving around PvP.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Calibrex posted:

Per one of the online scheduled twitch streaming sessions, Max answered this:

Q: is CU a pure PvP game or any PvE elements?
A: RvR, there is a small amount of PvE elements but no traditional quests or PvE progression.

A follow-up comment was something about how just about everything will be revolving around PvP.

To be fair this has been openly their plan for the whole project as far as I'm aware. I agree (with the guy who mentioned friends not wanting to always PVP) though the best idea might have been to still have plenty of monsters/animals to kill purely for mats, and then bosses in caves and stuff to have mini-raids, again for rarer crafting mats. I think removing traditional grind quests, and grinding levels is fine and maybe even a great idea, but if the server or your computer is lagging from the battle getting too big...is there anything else really worth a monthly fee leftover? We'll find out!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Interview with game dev on massively op :

http://massivelyop.com/podcast/

I liked his point that you can just increase the pop cap on a pure PvP server because you won't overload quest hubs or spawn camps. Dunno what that means for crafting though.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
For the people who are not into 100% PVP (or RvR) : the crafting/building aspect of the game will be just as important as the combat.

The reason battles will be fought is not for virtual "points" (well ranks will probably exist but that's not what I mean) but for the control of resource heavy locations where your crafters can go gather materials to build new foritifications and upgrades.

I have a friend who is a hardcore Minecraft/Space Engineer addict who explicitly mentioned he was interested in the game for the crafting alone and expects to not ever even create a combat class.

Dirk Smacker
Jan 1, 2014
Beta 1 starts early next week. Or maybe next week or the week after...

http://camelotunchained.com/v3/afternoon-update-friday-april-15th-2016/

Looks to be a sloppy mess at the start, but I'm excited to try it out.

Dirk Smacker
Jan 1, 2014
Correction: Beta 1 starts in maybe two months which will make the final release come sooner. Or so they say.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
New C.U.B.E. is up for anyone that likes playing with legos.

Also they've got the vox-whatever sitting outside the keep. It isn't usable yet and some bits of it look like they should be animated. I don't feel strongly one way or another about the presentation but it might look pretty alright if they make the floating bits bob a little or something. Going to build something around it to see if it looks better indoors.

Makemind
Apr 27, 2016
counting days!!

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
it begins...

https://www.reddit.com/r/CamelotUnchained/comments/4ewd3x/brian_greenpsychochild_senior_engineer_has_parted/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Welp, that was an interesting blog read. Wonder what the other side of the story is.

• Locked thread