Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Maybe Ollie really did die when Ra's kicked him off that cliff :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Bad Moon posted:

Maybe Ollie really did die when Ra's kicked him off that cliff :ohdear:

In my head, this is what happened. While Arrow didn't poo poo the bed as fast and as hard as, say, Grimm, I'm still glad I stopped watching months ago. You poor, poor bastards. :smith:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

her 'O face'.

Seriously, the observation that this show fell apart during the 2nd half of season 3 is just spot on & going through the memories of it all has just depressed me I needed a cleanser. Here's a DECENT, uplifting scene from season 3 of Arrow:

https://youtu.be/V_2IWDLQJ4I

R.I.P. only good 'Arrow-cave'

This is when Thea became cool in my book. Beforehand she was just a whiny rear end spoiled sister.

Although I was disappointed she didn't finish the hug by saying "I WANT A COOL OUTFIT TOO, WHEN ARE WE GOING SHOPPING"

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oh god, I totally forgot about MAGICAL ASIAN HEALING HERBS.

In a weird way, this season has somehow been worse than last year. Last year started out fairly crap (fridging Sara) and never really picked up enough steam beyond a few scattered episodes. This season started out goddamn great, but really has hit the skids in the back half.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Killing Sara was great and every season should start with it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

This season started out goddamn great

Debatable. Relative to the second half of S3, sure, maybe. Relative to, say, Season 2, gently caress no.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Yeah, I want every season to start with Ollie and Felicity playing house in the suburbs, why not.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Krad posted:

Yeah, I want every season to start with Ollie and Felicity playing house in the suburbs, why not.

It was all down hill from "You have failed this omelette".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Oh god, I totally forgot about MAGICAL ASIAN HEALING HERBS.

In fairness magical asian healing herbs is a little less egregious when they come from a magical asian island.

Or more? gently caress, I don't know. That place is weird.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
None 'o this flaming arrow of shite tonight?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TEAH SYAG posted:

None 'o this flaming arrow of shite tonight?

Arrow is "on break", in the sense that one might be "on break" with an ex that one never intends to reunite with, yes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Thea's been pretty enjoyable this season. Hell it even felt like they were starting to give Laurel something to do as a supporting player. But I don't really know what to make of this last episode. It just seemed like a rush to get them to kill Laurel off, if that's indeed what they've done and the actual handling of the scene itself just didn't work (Which is something that Guggenheim actually talks about in an interview). However, I thought Amell and Blackthorne did well with what they had at the end, though I kind of hate that we have to see Lance go through all this again. Just how much poo poo do they want to put that guy through?

Anyone heard this stuff about Cassidy actually being fired, which is why it all feels rushed, or is this just people trying to make sense of that episode?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

DrVenkman posted:

Anyone heard this stuff about Cassidy actually being fired, which is why it all feels rushed, or is this just people trying to make sense of that episode?

It's the latter. Katie Cassidy is still very much a part of the Arrowverse, and already has appearances in the future.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's the latter. Katie Cassidy is still very much a part of the Arrowverse, and already has appearances in the future.

Flashbacks occur in the past. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Katie was not fired and she and Amell have both posted new pics of them hanging out since the death scene. She was also at the wrap party he posted pics from.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also i don't know how you can call something from the cold open of episode 1 rushed.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Also i don't know how you can call something from the cold open of episode 1 rushed.

Well the showrunners have admitted that they didn't have an idea who that would actually be, and relied on an answer coming to them as they were working through the season. As it is, there's no indication at all who it might be, until this episode where it massively foreshadows it every chance they can get.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I think that the modern tendency of spoilers leaking during production due to the whole smartphone age has knocked the brain clean out of TV writers. That's the only explanation I can think of for why Arrow and Flash clearly didn't map out their seasons this year, instead setting up mysteries that they write the answers to as they go along. Maybe the head production staff is just incompetent, or having to write around so many crossovers screwed up the production cycle, but I get the feeling they were trying to prevent the big leaks that have become so common.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CainsDescendant posted:

I think that the modern tendency of spoilers leaking during production due to the whole smartphone age has knocked the brain clean out of TV writers. That's the only explanation I can think of for why Arrow and Flash clearly didn't map out their seasons this year, instead setting up mysteries that they write the answers to as they go along. Maybe the head production staff is just incompetent, or having to write around so many crossovers screwed up the production cycle, but I get the feeling they were trying to prevent the big leaks that have become so common.

Yah but I really think writers should give up on that, much like a road runner cartoon it's about the journey, not the destination.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CainsDescendant posted:

Nah, it's just that TV production has been kind of fast & loose for quite a while, especially with these ~25 episode seasons.

This can have benefits too. For example, the main lady on the Blacklist got pregnant so they had to rearrange the latter half of the season so she could be pregnant in-universe and disappear for a few episodes while she's dealing with her IRL kid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

Well the showrunners have admitted that they didn't have an idea who that would actually be, and relied on an answer coming to them as they were working through the season. As it is, there's no indication at all who it might be, until this episode where it massively foreshadows it every chance they can get.

But the whole point, whoever else it was going to be, was that it was a sudden, unexpected death.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

CainsDescendant posted:

The last man with a long-term-plan mapped out for his show was JMS, and he had to throw it all over board when B5 was basically cancelled with season 4. And then again when it was uncancelled. And even these two events aside, his plan was derailed quite a few times along the way, by the main characters mental illness, or by the tremendous performances of Walter Koenig, Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik (and to a smaller extend Mira Furlan), making it a good decision to up their presence in the show. Or the decidedly worse performance by Andrea Thompson. "Best laid plans" and all that poo poo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Planning by the season is probably the best bet. Though given the length, two half season length arcs would be just as good. The important part is planning with defined beginnings, endings and climaxes. Everything else can be filled in as needed, but there's got to be some sort of plan

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

But the whole point, whoever else it was going to be, was that it was a sudden, unexpected death.

It was neither sudden nor unexpected given that the whole episode might as well have been pointing a...uh...arrow at Laurel. I mean they do the superhero equivalent of the cop being on the verge of retirement. I'd be surprised if no one saw it coming.

If it just killed her at the end, that would be different, but the way it was handled was kind of shambolic.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

DrVenkman posted:

It was neither sudden nor unexpected given that the whole episode might as well have been pointing a...uh...arrow at Laurel. I mean they do the superhero equivalent of the cop being on the verge of retirement. I'd be surprised if no one saw it coming.

If it just killed her at the end, that would be different, but the way it was handled was kind of shambolic.

I feel like the pointed an arrow at everyone that went on the mission. John was set up for a "betrayed by his own brother and murdered as a final betrayal" moment, Laurel had the whole superhero "Three days from retirement" thing, Speedy's death would have shown that Malcolm was completely batshit and onboard with HIVE...Heck, even Quentin and Malcolm were kinda in danger from being in proximity to a newly emergent and angry Dahrk.

My theory was that with the show trying to get us to focus on those three so hard, when they got to Dahrk, he was just gonna go Ozzymandaius and show them a video link to Felicity being executed. She was the only member of Team Arrow that was thought to be 100% safe at the moment, and they went so far as to SAY she was safe. That should have, in my mind, been foreshadowing that she was not safe, and about to die.

"But Hermetic!" You say. "She was literally in Ollie's limo at the funeral! How could you be so stupid as to think she was also the one in the casket?"

Guilt-based hallucination. It's been done on almost every drama ever. I think Arrow's even done it before. It's the perfect fakeout.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

I meant in the show, in universe. It comes out of nowhere to the characters, what are you going to do to lay that in? Foreshadowing is just a story-telling gimmick, it's not meant to be the normal process.

Although we did have both Darhk and Lance just straight up say he's going to kill Laurel. We can't really say they didn't set it up at all.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
If Detective Lance makes it alive out of this season I'll be amazed

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

lol poor Det. Lance. He's lost his mind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She didn't even press anything before that footage came up.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
I appreciate Lance fully accepting the comic bookness of it all and just figuring "Hey she just came back to life early, no big"

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Oliver gonna torture this doctor to get the name

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man they're being assholes about this staging.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I like this new Canary.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
kinda like the chase in that alley.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well she's way better using the scream.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Yeah, the foot chase actually had a little parkour in it, and Ollie even shot an arrow! I'm pretty stoked on this episode so far. Never cared much for Laurel anyway.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GLOSS posted:

I appreciate Lance fully accepting the comic bookness of it all and just figuring "Hey she just came back to life early, no big"

I felt bad for him, as the newbie he knew just enough to get his hopes up but not enough to realize why all the known options were off the table.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

FELD1 posted:

Yeah, the foot chase actually had a little parkour in it, and Ollie even shot an arrow! I'm pretty stoked on this episode so far. Never cared much for Laurel anyway.

I never really liked her, especially after she got her new face, but her death was still bad.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Nyssa :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Pissed off Diggle = best Diggle.

• Locked thread