Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:henget: only with a parrot

e: sweet new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for cockatiel videos youtube :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_vFyvECYoQ

Holy poo poo that cranky bird sound.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/9758264

"Beaking off" is an amazing term.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Tendai posted:

Thank you for cockatiel videos youtube :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_vFyvECYoQ

Holy poo poo that cranky bird sound.

Ohhhhhhhhhh baby cockatiel whining, my heaaarttttttt :kimchi::kimchi::kimchi: I'm glad to see Nugget wasn't the only one who didn't grow out of making that whiny baby noise until she was like a year old. Every time I hear it I want another babytiel ahhhhhhhhhhh

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Shirec posted:

I came home to my GCC outside of his cage because I forgot to latch the food door and he knows he can get out if he does that. Little jerk must test it every day.

Maestro and Simon have begun to turn escape artist. We've found Maestro outside of his cage twice now, and Simon opened the GCC cage on Sunday when we were cleaning. Luckily they were in the bedroom with the door closed, but jade sure was surprised to go in the back and find the 3 gremlins on top of the cage instead of in it.

It figures this behavior is happening now, when we're planning to go on a trip and have our one friend birdsit.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pip pip pip posted:

Ohhhhhhhhhh baby cockatiel whining, my heaaarttttttt :kimchi::kimchi::kimchi: I'm glad to see Nugget wasn't the only one who didn't grow out of making that whiny baby noise until she was like a year old. Every time I hear it I want another babytiel ahhhhhhhhhhh
Judah was the same as Nugget :3: I got him around six-ish months (as far as I can tell/remember) and that baby noise stayed for at least another six months. I don't know how something that whiny and irritating can be cute as poo poo but it is.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

schnickety scribe posted:

Maestro and Simon have begun to turn escape artist. We've found Maestro outside of his cage twice now, and Simon opened the GCC cage on Sunday when we were cleaning. Luckily they were in the bedroom with the door closed, but jade sure was surprised to go in the back and find the 3 gremlins on top of the cage instead of in it.

It figures this behavior is happening now, when we're planning to go on a trip and have our one friend birdsit.

The worst part is it resulted in his food being spilled all over the floor and the little turd looks so innocent and sweet. I'm so excited you're home! Pick me up!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Shirec, here's some pictures of my Grey to further tempt you.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This picture :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jose Oquendo posted:

Let me see if I read your Grey's expressions right;

Dreaming of murder.

Planning murder.

Plotting murder.

Innocuously thinking of Murder.

Plotting murder.

Caught in the act of attempting murder.

Shocked to have their plans for murder discovered.

Sending a very clear warning about your imminent future (murder).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I stumbled across his murder lair.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

ffffffffuck i just need to get to this aviary place outside of town.

I started following them on facebook and now i'm getting reduced to a gibbering mess at least daily.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Ugh, all my feelings and emotions.
I just called and arranged my first class on Sunday (the place I'm adopting from requires I take two classes before I adopt) and starting the talks about them visiting my house/getting my birds vet visit records. Sooo.....yeah. Probably going to get an African Grey soon :love: Hopefully one of them likes me back because the adoption agency makes the call based on how much the bird likes me as well, haha.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm curious as to how it will take to you. My family has had this grey since he was a baby in the early 90's. He's more like a little brother than a pet.

The big thing is interaction. They're smart fuckers and they are learningplotting all the time. Toys, puzzles, lots of cardboard, stuff like that. My grey isn't super cuddly. He's content just to sit with me or on his perch in the same room. And there's times he wants to be alone and just chill in the bathroom. In a lot of ways he's just like any other family member.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm curious as to how it will take to you. My family has had this grey since he was a baby in the early 90's. He's more like a little brother than a pet.

The big thing is interaction. They're smart fuckers and they are learningplotting all the time. Toys, puzzles, lots of cardboard, stuff like that. My grey isn't super cuddly. He's content just to sit with me or on his perch in the same room. And there's times he wants to be alone and just chill in the bathroom. In a lot of ways he's just like any other family member.

We'll have to see, I'm looking at Jake or Baby. Apparently Jake is more partial to women and they both are sweethearts. They both seem adorable and I'd definitely be willing to give Baby whatever he needed since he plucked himself bare. If worse comes to worse, they are getting some more African greys in to adopt in the next month or so. (http://www.companionparrots.org/ if anyone is curious or didn't follow the convo earlier). I've been reading in preparation, I don't have much preference of Timneh over Congo either.

Oh my god, I'm so excited haha

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Shirec posted:

They both seem adorable and I'd definitely be willing to give Baby whatever he needed since he plucked himself bare.

Just know that there may be nothing you can do to help him get his feathers back. My mom's grey started plucking (more than ten years ago) when she adopted a jenday conure that turned out to be sick all time (needing all the attention) and we've tried everything but she'd be bare without physical barriers to stop her.
The rear end in a top hat in question:

And her new collar of shame:

It's helping, she's got more feathers on her wings now, but her keel will probably never grow back. :argh:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Trebuchet King posted:

ffffffffuck i just need to get to this aviary place outside of town.

I started following them on facebook and now i'm getting reduced to a gibbering mess at least daily.

Djs Feathers is awesome. They have an awesome toy selection and the people that run it are total bird crazies. I used to go there a ton when we lived in the area. I miss it, hopefully one day we'll go back!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

ApathyGirl posted:

Just know that there may be nothing you can do to help him get his feathers back. My mom's grey started plucking (more than ten years ago) when she adopted a jenday conure that turned out to be sick all time (needing all the attention) and we've tried everything but she'd be bare without physical barriers to stop her.
The rear end in a top hat in question:

And her new collar of shame:

It's helping, she's got more feathers on her wings now, but her keel will probably never grow back. :argh:

Oh, that's good to know! I had hoped maybe it might help, but other than that I would get him a heated perch and whatever else he might need. Are parrot sweaters a thing?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

They can be. Depends on the bird. My grey would remove all my fingers if I tried to put a sweater on him.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Theres those bird hoodies: http://www.flightquarters.com/bird-diapers/category/fashion-hoodies.html

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ohtori, king of Misfit Isle

Elsewhere

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
What's he planning on doing to you with it? :ohdear:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I just want to remind everybody that https://www.mysafebirdstore.com is great, I ordered Ama a new vital-lamp lightbulb and they sent it along with a little bag of candy for me, a little bag of chewables for Ama, and a pink furry mouse for our cat who is currently batting it around like crazy :3: they're just the best.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I just want to remind everybody that https://www.mysafebirdstore.com is great, I ordered Ama a new vital-lamp lightbulb and they sent it along with a little bag of candy for me, a little bag of chewables for Ama, and a pink furry mouse for our cat who is currently batting it around like crazy :3: they're just the best.

Do they ship to Australia?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'll second this, these guys are great. I love their dollar deals, I've bought toy components and such for Judah from them for cheap as hell.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
That head tilt at the end. :3:

isak terrible
Apr 19, 2016
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but Eris has started barbing. :( Her secondary flight feathers and a good portion of her keel and stomach feathers are all raggedy and chewed up. On her stomach, when she sits a particular way, I can see the down underneath the chewed-up feathers. It's breaking my heart and I have no clue how to tell if she's still doing it or how to fix it.

We recently had to switch her diet to seeds for a few weeks while we couldn't get any pellets, but now both she and the budgies are back on Roudybush pellets. She gets frozen parrot chop (thawed out) as often as I remember to thaw it out and grapes and/or raspberries as treats several times a day. She has toys, plenty of things to chew on, we let her out every day and she has the budgies for company (she even overnights in their cage sometimes). Is it because she's not getting enough interaction with us? Taming her is going so painfully slow that it feels like we're making no real progress. She accepts food from us, but that's it.

I want to help my bird and I feel really guilty for letting her down like this. :smith: I can't look at old photos of her now, because her feathers were so neat and pretty and slick and now she looks raggedy and unkempt and it's breaking my heart.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hello
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoJ6PTY0mzE

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo what fearless little birds :3:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tendai posted:

Holy poo poo what fearless little birds :3:
are budgies just naturally the friendliest, happiest little pals ever?

also i love the noise budgies make when they hang out

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I may have asked this question ages ago but I don't remember. I've been posting here for ten years but only sober for over two so my memory is a bit dodgy.

I had a precious cockatiel, Neil, when I was young. Neil was absolutely a cuddle bug and completely yellow, which to our limited resources at the time meant we thought he was a male.

Unfortunately about four years into owning Neil he turned out to be a she and started laying eggs. Literally, seven to nine at a time. She became un-handleable and to my pre-internet forums self we couldn't figure out what to do. She would also projectile poo poo all over the walls and nothing would stop this behavior. Vets said she was just broody and would hopefully grow out of it. In hindsight I feel like I could of fixed it. We eventually sold her to an elderly couple for fifty dollars. I feel bad about it to this day but I was so young we didn't know what to do. With some luck, Neil is still out there doing her thing today. I just wish I had my resources now that I used to.

Here is the question - how was a solid yellow cockatiel a female? Some kind of ultra rare mutation?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

he just picks it up wtf

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Look at the colour of that bird, its like something from a Final Fantasy game.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

And the inspired image:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love this gif. It's like the cockatiel version of :ohdear:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

isak terrible posted:

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but Eris has started barbing. :( Her secondary flight feathers and a good portion of her keel and stomach feathers are all raggedy and chewed up. On her stomach, when she sits a particular way, I can see the down underneath the chewed-up feathers. It's breaking my heart and I have no clue how to tell if she's still doing it or how to fix it.

Maybe she's still stressed from being taken from the aviary, since she was already a full adult at the time, maybe it was a one-time period. Offer her regular bathing opportunities, give her fresh food everyday, and make sure she has somewhere quiet to retreat to, like a covered cage corner or shelf perch with a toy hiding her from view. Maybe get some bird mash or bird bread or whatever to help the next batch of feathers come in nicely, and use it as a treat from you. Talk and sing and make noises with her a lot, respond to her noises and make a game of it. See if she's into games like peekaboo (try doing it with budgies first in front of her maybe). See if you can get her to make a noise or go to a specific perch or something when you offer a treat-hang a bell on a chain by the perch that you give things from, and give her treats if she touches it and you can build up to making her ring it. Clicker training would work really well here

Captain Log posted:

Here is the question - how was a solid yellow cockatiel a female? Some kind of ultra rare mutation?

Lutino females are normal! http://suzzie.tripod.com/genetics/sex-linked.htm They look just like the males, but sometimes you can see faint tail striping or underwing spots with a blacklight

Wow, how he just pokes them and picks them up without issue

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

isak terrible posted:

I'm not sure how related this might be - how is the daytime lighting around the cage? When we moved, the best place for the bird cage was in a darkish corner despite being next to a giant window. Ozzy seemed to stop preening much at all - covered in pinfeathers that he could easily reach and letting his tail feathers unzip.

We tried a bunch of things, but what seemed to work was getting a bright light for the corner. Not even a full spectrum bulb, just plain compact cfl.

Might be worth trying a cheap lamp near the cage?

isak terrible
Apr 19, 2016
Eris actually wasn't an adult, I don't think GCCs hit adulthood 'til they're about 2 and she was just under a year old? But I think not living in an aviary is still a bit stressful for her. She yells at us a lot if we come too close. Sometimes, at least. Sometimes she's fearless.

I've tried starting clicker training with Eris, but she's afraid of the target stick and the clicker; I'm going to leave both in her cage for a while so she can get used to them, though.

I'll put in the shelf perch we have and rearrange the toys so she has somewhere to hide, thanks for that idea! And I'll start putting out a dish of water for her when she's out so she can bathe. And I'll increase how much fruit and veg I'm giving her; currently she mostly gets fruit as treats, because she isn't too keen on vegetables.

I'm a very quiet person and I feel shy talking to my bird (I know how silly that is, yes), but I'll make an effort to talk to her more. She does seem to like it when I do, she cocks her head and looks at me with one eye and it's adorable. :3:

And we have a full-spectrum lamp near her cage! That corner is still a bit dark, though, so I might move the regular floor lamp there, too.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did you try music?

Mine have a preference for 60s/70s rock, Budgie's absolute favourite is Hendrix's all along the watchtower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Tendai posted:

I love this gif. It's like the cockatiel version of :ohdear:

It's even better with music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYzTYXD6fGU