Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Die Laughing posted:

Did they not stick the landing? People seemed pretty keen on it.

A lot of the buildup went nowhere. Mobius is one shoted out of nowhere, Grail has gone full Mary Sue, aside of Batman nothing has really been done with the league as new gods (hell Hal vanished from the plot), the Syndicate is just standing looking "evil", Lex is pretty underwhelming and Barda was put in a bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

Did they not stick the landing? People seemed pretty keen on it.

The conclusion is gonna be Steve Trevor vs a baby. It's amazing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I would take his opinion a bit more seriously if he didn't declare every single title a steaming pile of crap except Red Hood. You can figure out DT tastes from that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

I would take his opinion a bit more seriously if he didn't declare every single title a steaming pile of crap except Red Hood. You can figure out DT tastes from that.

He once tried to compare the trials Jason has been through to rape. Keep that in mind when reading his posts.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Read the Green Lantern Darkseid War issue to find out where Hal is. It's also one of the best Green Lantern comics ever written

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Read the Green Lantern Darkseid War issue to find out where Hal is. It's also one of the best Green Lantern comics ever written

Well, he was supposed to help Bruce to reject the Mobius chair and at just one issue to go he's nowhere to be seen.

And while a good story, the religious themes were a bit too into the nose for my taste and ignoring Hal's time as Parallax (despite fitting perfectly with the themes of the story) was a huge missed opportunity.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

A lot of the buildup went nowhere. Mobius is one shoted out of nowhere, Grail has gone full Mary Sue, aside of Batman nothing has really been done with the league as new gods (hell Hal vanished from the plot), the Syndicate is just standing looking "evil", Lex is pretty underwhelming and Barda was put in a bus.

What the gently caress why am I agreeing with you?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Finally sat down and read Wonder Woman: Earth One. Not my favourite version of the story, and it has the usual problems I have with Morrison, especially when he's done DC stuff in the last decade or so, where anything after the point Grant determines is the 'true' version of the character is discarded and sneered at, plus his usual sloppy pacing where I feel like Paquette only received the even numbered script pages at points, there's so much skipped and glossed over.

Also, I'd honestly rather they just forget the clay origin if he and Azzarello are just going to 'honour' it by mockery. (I adore the Perez run, but Morrison's made it very clear he considers anything after the Marstons to be pale shadows.) One constant in the recent retellings, though, is that Etta Candy is frickin' awesome, just this plus-size gal who owns herself and any room she enters.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 28, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

One constant in the recent retellings, though, is that Etta Candy is frickin' awesome, just this plus-size gal who owns herself and any room she enters.
Hope you've been checking out Legend of Wonder Woman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

Hope you've been checking out Legend of Wonder Woman.

That's why I said 'recent retellings'. De Liz's Etta is amazing, and Morrison's version feels like the same character transplanted into 2016.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

That's why I said 'recent retellings'. De Liz's Etta is amazing, and Morrison's version feels like the same character transplanted into 2016.
Just checking! :cheerdoge:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno if he's making GBS threads on the other runs by just not acknowledging them in the little space he had.
Trevor and his superiors at the hospital was really similar to Perez's, but maybe it's all basically the same as the original :shrug:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I dunno if he's making GBS threads on the other runs by just not acknowledging them in the little space he had.
Trevor and his superiors at the hospital was really similar to Perez's, but maybe it's all basically the same as the original :shrug:

All the Paradise Island stuff is stuff that has been downplayed since the Silver Age. And the whole 'clay? That was a children's fairy tale!' thing is way too dismissive and similar to the Azzarello thing to sit well with me as someone who really likes that version, especially for the whole feminist concept of Diana being parented only by her mother. De Liz's version had a much better take on that, and even had a corollary to allow for Amazon kids.

I'm also not entirely sure what the point of that one girl who was apparently Diana's ex was. There's so little development given to anyone who's not Diana, Steve, Etta or Hippolyta that I'm not sure the spurned lover angle added anything.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 28, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think she had just enough character for the length of the book. Giving someone motivation for chasing after Diana other than it just being a bunch of soldiers with an order.
It also added a fun beat for Candy.
Is this the first time that a serious sexual relationship between Amazons has ever been directly stated? I have no idea, but if so, even if it wasn't given any time, that's probably a good thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe Rucka had a pair of supporting characters in a relationship, and Perez certainly implied that same-sex romantic and sexual relationships happened.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There was at least one explicitly romantic couple in Perez's run and Hippolyte implies lesbian relationships are fairly common among the Amazons.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

All the Paradise Island stuff is stuff that has been downplayed since the Silver Age. And the whole 'clay? That was a children's fairy tale!' thing is way too dismissive and similar to the Azzarello thing to sit well with me as someone who really likes that version, especially for the whole feminist concept of Diana being parented only by her mother. De Liz's version had a much better take on that, and even had a corollary to allow for Amazon kids.
Speaking as someone who can't have children and will never get to be a mother, Diana's origin really resonated with me. I've never forgiven Azzarello for the hideous changes he made to Wonder Woman and that one in particular stings on a personal level. :(

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Joshua Williamson is now DC exclusive and is doing a Vertigo comic as well as The Flash.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-vertigo-announces-frostbite-from-josh-williamson-jason-shawn-alexander

quote:

THE FLASH’S JOSHUA WILLIAMSON SIGNS WITH DC ENTERTAINMENT AND GETS A CASE OF “FROSTBITE”

Williamson to Debut a New Vertigo Series Alongside His Take on the Scarlet Speedster

BURBANK, Calif. (April 28, 2016) – Fresh off the heels of the DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH event held at WonderCon in Los Angeles in March, DC Entertainment announced today that it has reached an agreement with Joshua Williamson to create comic book content solely for the company’s DC Comics and Vertigo imprints. In addition to launching THE FLASH in June, Williamson will also make his Vertigo debut in September with FROSTBITE, a new six-issue miniseries joining the title lineup. Jason Shawn Alexander (Batman: Arkham City, The Empty Zone) will accompany Williamson on the book, handling art duties.

”Josh is a fantastic writer, and we couldn’t be more excited to have him on board,” said DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Jim Lee. “He has a knack for telling stories that really grab hold of readers, and it comes through whether he’s writing epic superhero fiction, or more edgy and darker tales.”

FROSTBITE follows Keaton, a South American woman and a “coyote,” a human trafficker specializing in no-questions-asked transportation of people across dangerous landscapes. Decades earlier, the world entered a new ice age; though the remaining populace has survived and adapted to the frozen environment using new technology, the weather is not their biggest danger. A new disease nicknamed “Frostbite” is making its way across the remaining communities. It literally turns people into ice, slowly freezing the moisture in their cells. Keaton and her crew are tasked with transporting two scientists from Mexico to a science lab on Alcatraz where they are working on a cure. It should be easy; after all, it’s only an elderly man and his adult daughter. But when the transport is attacked Keaton finds out that the scientist and his daughter have a bounty on their heads, and this simple transport job becomes very, very complicated.

“For a comic book writer, this is a dream come true,” said Williamson. “There aren’t too many people that get the chance to not only write The Flash, one of my all-time favorite characters, but also work with Vertigo; a publisher that’s been a huge influence on my writing style. DC Comics is an important company to me; I’ve loved these characters all my life and an opportunity to add to their mythology is amazing. It’s an honor to be a part of it.”

A self-professed “Flash fan”, Williamson makes his REBIRTH debut on both THE FLASH: REBIRTH (on sale June 8) and THE FLASH (on sale June 22) beginning an all new-story arc, blasting out of the events of May 25th’s DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH Special, written by Geoff Johns (JUSTICE LEAGUE, GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH, FLASH: REBIRTH). The events of the Rebirth Special have left Barry Allen at a crossroads, and issue #1 begins chapter one of “Lightning Strikes Twice,” where a new storm brews over Central City, and disproves the old adage about lightning never striking twice. This time, just when Barry Allen is beginning to feel overwhelmed fighting crime, a new speedster debuts! But where did he come from, and is there more to him that meets the eye? As part of the Rebirth line wide relaunch, The Flash will ship twice monthly, with art by Carmine DiGiandomenico and Neil Googe, at a lower price of $2.99.

e: According to him on Twitter, he's still doing his current Image books.
https://twitter.com/Williamson_Josh/status/725748568607195136?lang=en

ee: J.M. DeMatteis on JL3K1 and possibly bringing stuff from it into Rebirth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybwxenjDkcE

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 28, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Are Giffen and JMdM doing anything in Rebirth, I forget?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Giffen's doing Blue Beetle and they're both doing Scooby Apocalypse.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jason and Bruce eating burgers :unsmith:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's a post-coitus burger.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

"Dark_Tzitzimine" posted:

Jason and Bruce eating burgers :unsmith:

All downhill from here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Smother him in the crib Bruce!

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

as soon as I saw that smile my rear end in a top hat would be clenched tighter than the Gordian knot

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That batmovile either has a hydraulics package that would make a cholo weep, or Jason has found the most jacked jack in Gotham.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rebirth previews trickling out is pretty fun. I wanna see some Raphael Albuquerque Batgirl pages.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

FilthyImp posted:

That batmovile either has a hydraulics package that would make a cholo weep, or Jason has found the most jacked jack in Gotham.

This guys never heard of Jason fuckinnnn Todd

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think these are all superior designs. Except maybe Aquaman. I'm not sure you can really do anything with his costume.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Those blue boots though. And people got mad about the underwear.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
-Superman without red boots looks weird as hell

-WW is great and is obviously inspired by Gadot's costume

-Batman is basically the same

-Jessica is just an standard GL uniform. I wish they would ditch the eye symbol, is stupid looking.

-Aquaman's differences are minimal as well.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You could do this with it ;)

I like WW's shield backpack straps from Darkserid War. That's the only think I think we're losing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 30, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I much prefer the blue boots if the underwear on the outside goes. And the underwear on the outside should definitely go.

Teenage Fansub posted:

You could do this with it ;)

That's just a drawing of the He-Man Battle Armor Damage figure I had when I was four years old.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are her bracer things still able to deflect bullets?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I prefer this Superman design and I honestly thought it was what we were getting until the Rebirth book dropped.

Also I still can't get over just how incredible this Black Canary design is.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Aww Batman gets no descriptions. He's just Batman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I kinda liked Jessica Cruz's old costume better. I mean, she's still gonna be using the evil Power Ring ring, right, so why is she reppin the GL Corps? I guess I just liked the other logo is all. Her new costume just looks too plain, like she consulted Hal Jordan on how to make the most generic Green Lantern costume possible then added an eye-lantern for one solitary point of differentiation.

X-O posted:

And the underwear on the outside should definitely go.

Heresy!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 30, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

-Superman without red boots looks weird as hell

-WW is great and is obviously inspired by Gadot's costume

-Batman is basically the same

-Jessica is just an standard GL uniform. I wish they would ditch the eye symbol, is stupid looking.

-Aquaman's differences are minimal as well.

I agree with all of this, only adding that the fins on Aquaman's boots are really silly looking and that I still think the Batamn costume is kinda dull.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I kinda liked Jessica Cruz's old costume better. I mean, she's still gonna be using the evil Power Ring ring, right, so why is she reppin the GL Corps? I guess I just liked the other logo is all. Her new costume just looks too plain, like she consulted Hal Jordan on how to make the most generic Green Lantern costume possible then added an eye-lantern for one solitary point of differentiation.

Heresy!

I get the impression she's a proper GL now. Probably with a normal ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gaz-L posted:

I get the impression she's a proper GL now. Probably with a normal ring.

Indeed

Rhyno posted:

I prefer this Superman design and I honestly thought it was what we were getting until the Rebirth book dropped.

I'm still sad this one was just a concept and no an actual suit, is fantastic.

Also, better looks at Supersons, Harley and Croc's new costumes