Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
lol if Pandemonium thinks I did anything else but grab the dumbest things I could find on the like ~3 pages of posts he has in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

That's not quote-mining, though. Come on, you have to admit there is a difference between paraphrasing and quote-mining. I'm just trying to hold people to what they wrote earlier because people on the internet love moving goalposts on and/or hand-waving away anything they have previously posted. But there's of course a limit. Not a sharp, defined one, but I'm not going back weeks and months to find some "gotcha" post. And when you quote-mine to make a bingo card, it's a bit too much, don't you think? I mean, I guess I made a South Park reference before, but I honestly can't remember, yet that bingo card-maker guy, he was on top of things.

So yeah, it's creepy when another user is more aware of what you posted in the past than you are.

no you guys you don't get it it's different when i do it

e:

quote:

EssJayWuus
lol

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Pandemonium posted:

That's not quote-mining, though. Come on, you have to admit there is a difference between paraphrasing and quote-mining. I'm just trying to hold people to what they wrote earlier because people on the internet love moving goalposts on and/or hand-waving away anything they have previously posted. But there's of course a limit. Not a sharp, defined one, but I'm not going back weeks and months to find some "gotcha" post. And when you quote-mine to make a bingo card, it's a bit too much, don't you think? I mean, I guess I made a South Park reference before, but I honestly can't remember, yet that bingo card-maker guy, he was on top of things.

So yeah, it's creepy when another user is more aware of what you posted in the past than you are.

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's a comedy forum and it was intended as a joke. People go to a ton of effort on this site to (try to) be funny. And I'm being honest here, your posts are probably the only ones people ever remember. Every time you hop into a conversation, we have a flurry of posting. That sticks out in people's memories. I'm not going to go quote mining, but I'm almost certain that the South Park square was because of a PC Principle quote. I don't need to take any effort to remember that because it's notable alone in the context of this thread. It's not like I think about it at all when I'm not posting in here or you haven't posted in awhile, but if someone else references it, I know exactly what they're talking about. Hell I can't even remember where most of the people in this thread live and that's way more relevant than if you quoted South Park, and yet here we are.

The problem here is, clicking the "?" button isn't quote mining. At best, it's trying to find out "who the gently caress is this guy"; at worst it's trying to hold you accountable to something you said earlier. Scouring the forums, "forums stalking", pulling poo poo up from 10 years ago, and then posting bullshit we see you post in other threads is quote mining. But since this isn't D&D or a Helldump, that's not happening in this thread.

Panda, if someone wanted to Doxx you, I'm certain it would've already happened. Stop being a pussy, post your book(s) so we can make fun of you.

Atlas Hugged posted:

But how do you know which tier of nerd you are if you don't argue about rules?

I am a historicals grog-nerd. I have transcended mere rules arguments. Rather my arguments are about numbers of rivets, appropriate fringe coloring on 19th century soldiers, and whether or not that is the correct green for German tanks in the summer of 1944.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

YF19pilot posted:

I am a historicals grog-nerd. I have transcended mere rules arguments. Rather my arguments are about numbers of rivets, appropriate fringe coloring on 19th century soldiers, and whether or not that is the correct green for German tanks in the summer of 1944.

You would fit right in in Bangkok.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
yo Pandamonium I'm reading The Dinner right now and was planning on reading Stardust at some point. Did you like it

You and I have a lot of books in common lol. I liked Norwegian wood, liked devil in the white city, thought DWD was ok, thought gone girl was ok (for reference)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
All of the books on my shelf are blocked by ranks of elves.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

hi taiwan thread I am interested in Taiwan can I come to Taiwan for travel and adventure?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

YF19pilot posted:

Now, just imagine having this argument with a drunk guy in 35 degree C weather and that's an average Sunday for Atlas these days.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I don't have a single book because I'm not a dinosaur and switched to an e-reader years ago. :smug:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

hi taiwan thread I am interested in Taiwan can I come to Taiwan for travel and adventure?

hi yes you are welcome although the current nearly interminable rain might put a damper on adventures but if you're cool with that naruwan motherfucker

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Moon Slayer posted:

I love waking up to see this:

It's how I know it's going to be a good day.

Waking up after 11:00 a.m. That buxiban life, huh?

I do remember people bringing in posts I made in other threads earlier on, YF19Pilot or whatever, so I'm sorry but your argument doesn't hold up.

Stardust is alright, but I am actually not that big of a fan of Gaiman apart from American Gods and Sandman. The only reason I have so many Gaiman books is because the bookstore I used to go to only stocked some classics and a lot of Gaiman. And Gone Girl for whatever reason. I am reading High-Rise at the moment after watching the movie (wasn't a fan to be honest). Next I might force myself to finally get into the Brothers Karamazovazaovaoa. Bought it ages ago and have yet to read it.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

All of the books on my shelf are blocked by ranks of elves.

this was my bookshelf in Tianjin last August

But a bunch of it is at my wife's place in Japan now because I finished the books and took them out of China

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

I don't have a single book because I'm not a dinosaur and switched to an e-reader years ago. :smug:

Yes, after staring at a computer screen for hours on end working, I want nothing more than to stare at another screen to relax.

Books > E-readers now and forever. Nothing beats the ability to physically turn a drat page.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
E-readers suck because you need to physically turn the paper page with your hand to appreciate a book IMO

Edit: beaten lol

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

The Great Autismo! posted:

But a bunch of it is at my wife's place in Japan now because I finished the books and took them out of China

This not an elf shelf.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Pandemonium, what's that fat white one (Vintage?) near the Eddas?

Hey, China Mountain Zhang, that's a great book.

These are mostly books I've accumulated while I've been here, but some have come from home. Apologies for the lowish quality, I can't be bothered to whip out my real camera.

Ones to get rid of, plus Hello Kitty:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Sup Gene Wolfe buddy.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

That's my boy Joyce's Ulysses.

Gene Wolfe is pro tier fantasy. Good choice.

Hugh Howey, though...one of the few series I refuse to finish.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm just proud that I haven't seen a single copy of "The Name of the Wind" lurking in any of these pictures. The Rothfuss thread is still the funniest loving thread in Books.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

House Louse posted:

China Mountain Zhang, that's a great book.

someone in the China thread recommended it a few years back but i still haven't gotten around to it. In fact, when choosing a new book I asked forums user Jeoh what i should read, and gave him the choice between The Dinner and China Mountain Zhang and he chose The Dinner, so i'm reading that now.

i'll try to get around to CMZ when I'm back in tianjin next week after I'm finished with The Dinner

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

The Dinner is begging for an indie movie adaptation. Depending on who they cast, it could be quite good!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Sup Gene Wolfe buddy.

:hf:

Pandemonium posted:

That's my boy Joyce's Ulysses.

Gene Wolfe is pro tier fantasy. Good choice.

Hugh Howey, though...one of the few series I refuse to finish.

Well spotted on Ulysses, it's the square inch of white in the first pic for anyone without a magnifying glass. Yeah, Howey is crap, that's why it's on the sell pile. I only read the first story.

someone in the China thread recommended it a few years back but i still haven't gotten around to it. In fact, when choosing a new book I asked forums user Jeoh what i should read, and gave him the choice between The Dinner and China Mountain Zhang and he chose The Dinner, so i'm reading that now.

i'll try to get around to CMZ when I'm back in tianjin next week after I'm finished with The Dinner

It's good. If you haven't read Samuel R. Delany, try to read his Babel-17 first; he's quite an influence on the novel and I think the kite-flying scene in China is a homage to the wrestling in that book.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

I love waking up to see this:

It's how I know it's going to be a good day.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
Panda, I've published a book in Taiwan too. I'll post both the book and my personal facebook if you do the same.

I am perfectly happy to invite everyone to know who I am and what I do----because I am not ashamed.

Are you ashamed, Panda?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize you were published already! Or is this from a while back?

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize you were published already! Or is this from a while back?

Last year!
I'm working on another book now though, it's supposed to come out in the fall...but, hehehe, I'm a lazy mofo.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

I don't think you quite thought this through. Our situations are not the same. You don't have a bunch of goons wasting their time and money to say and do unfunny things to and about you that they sadly believe are funny. I can totally see bingo card guy or my avatar purchaser trying to poo poo up my FB for the lols.

I hope you see that there's no parity between our situations, pal. But by all means, that shouldn't stop you from posting your book.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

No, your situations aren't the same, and it's hilarious you'd even think you were on his level. Also you continue to overestimate your place in our lives. And your own.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

I don't think you quite thought this through. Our situations are not the same. You don't have a bunch of goons wasting their time and money to say and do unfunny things to and about you that they sadly believe are funny. I can totally see bingo card guy or my avatar purchaser trying to poo poo up my FB for the lols.

I hope you see that there's no parity between our situations, pal. But by all means, that shouldn't stop you from posting your book.

That's such small poo poo compared to what I deal with everyday. Ya big pussy.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

No, your situations aren't the same, and it's hilarious you'd even think you were on his level. Also you continue to overestimate your place in our lives. And your own.

Panda is this thread's 小確幸

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
What can people do to your facebook? Just keep the privacy settings relatively high and no one can do poo poo. And why do you use your real name on facebook anyway?

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Cuz I use FB to keep in touch with people back in the US.

It's blowing my mind how little the goons in this thread seem to care about privacy and anonymity on the internet.

And one of you literally spent money to burn me in this mostly dead there on this here mostly dead comedy forum. That's monetary investment of like over half an hour of someone's buxiban salary.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's more than I would spend. That's precious elf money.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Barto posted:

That's such small poo poo compared to what I deal with everyday. Ya big pussy.

Wow, nice sexist language. What's wrong with you? Is being or having a pussy some kind of negative thing in your mind, you big giant misogynist?

And what do you deal with? Taiwanese parents? (iirc you run schools or some poo poo) If so, my god, you chose that bed, you get to lie in it. I can think of so many more enjoyable things I'd rather do work-related than have to face overbearing Taiwanese parents on a daily basis. And you're doing this in a managerial/boss role, right? That's like 10 times the lols! What is wrong with you? Do you at least have a local wife who can absorb some of the bullshit or are you on your own? Lol! And that you think that makes you hot poo poo or something in comparison to, well to anyone, I have to believe that's just you coping with the fact that the path you've chosen in life is to own/run cram schools.

(Again, this is also going off the running schools bit I seem to remember. If that's not what you do, please correct me.)

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Oh you'd be the last one on that list, Atlas. Bingo card guy or spermjacking guy are both up there.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Also I don't think anyone here is dismissive of internet anonymity, least of all me. I think the underlying issue is that you talked yourself up a lot but you don't have anything to show for it. You don't really need to prove anything to anyone in this thread, but you can't claim to be an authority on anything without having something to back it up with. The rest of us have the advantage of all being in real life friends. Hell, most of the people in this thread attended my wedding, so when someone like Barto makes a claim about being published or super loving good in Chinese or whatever, we can take it at face value and we're also not worried about being doxxed because people already literally know who we are.

Again, you don't need to prove anything. But unless you do, you're just going to get eye rolls from people whenever you put down English teachers or brag about being published. It's the internet man. This poo poo is meaningless.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
Holy poo poo, hahahahahaha

I'm a writer, Panda. I write things in Chinese, usually about culture or current events, and publish them.

I'm on The News Lens a lot, but I've been in the Apple Daily too.

So anyway, people don't always agree with me and come bother or harass me a lot. *shrug*

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
And I'll throw this out there Panda, I'll be in country in a month and will happily meet up with you for a beer to confirm you are as legit as you say you are and will also preserve your anonymity. Alternatively, I can vouch for another goon in this thread who is the least creepy person I've ever met to do the same. Who knows, you might even discover that in person we're entirely reasonable people.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Oh I'm sure you all are. Just confirms the circle jerk nature of this thread.

I've already gone through this with people on reddit. Everyone loves to be a critic. Met some people and it's immediately clear to the non-redditors (i.e., a Taiwanese gf of one of the guys and another Taiwanese) that I was easily the most proficient foreign mandarin speaker that they knew and probably that they had met.

But sure, you seem relatively sane. Lemme know when you're in the country, and I'll grab a drink with you.

Also, lol at Barta humble bragging that Apple Daily publishes his writing. It's great and impressive that your writing ability is that good, but lol you are proud to be a part of the disgusting Taiwanese media that everyone with half of brain either avoids or reads for a laugh. Never really read The News Lens, but I'm assuming if it's Taiwanese media that it too is utter dogshit. Sorry, bro, but journalist in the 21st century isn't all that compelling, especially one working in Taiwan. The fact that your Chinese is that good is great though. It's a drat shame you've chosen to ply your trade in such a dead profession in one of its most laughable publications (partly anyway; again news lens I am not familiar with--but apple daily, holy hell lol!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man still haven't been to Taipei yet. aiya im so lazy

Barto posted:

Holy poo poo, hahahahahaha

I'm a writer, Panda. I write things in Chinese, usually about culture or current events, and publish them.

I'm on The News Lens a lot, but I've been in the Apple Daily too.

So anyway, people don't always agree with me and come bother or harass me a lot. *shrug*

Apple Daily? GARBAGE! but better than the people's daily