Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Hello Arkane. What is your opinion on the revision to the RSS temperature dataset that eliminated the so called pause?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Squalid posted:

Hello Arkane. What is your opinion on the revision to the RSS temperature dataset that eliminated the so called pause?

Do not engage Arkane. He's the Ayn Rand of Climatology.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Squalid posted:

RSS has been an outlier for awhile, so this is not surprising.

The hiatus was not an artifact of RSS, though. Both the ground and satellite observations showed a near zero trend starting around 2001 through 2014. The strong El Nino has perhaps finally ended it, although it could be a respite.

The most compelling explanation I've seen for the hiatus is that it is due to cycles within the Atlantic ocean. It's postulated to last until somewhere in the neighborhood of 2025 if it is indeed a function of that: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-28870988

Placid Marmot posted:

This increase in leaf area was between 1982 and 2015; can you point out on this chart where this increase in leaf area has mitigated "significant amounts of atmospheric CO2"?

You read into my post what you wanted to read, instead of what I actually posted.

Human carbon emissions are clearly outpacing natural carbon sinks. By what margin, we don't know.

What I said was over the next few decades, these sinks could reduce the increases. Because atmospheric co2 projections rely on compounding emissions growth, small changes to the year on year multiplier can have large impacts at the end point. For instance (these numbers are purely illustrative), if you start with 3ppm and compound it by 2% annually, you end up with 1050ppm in 2100. If you compound it annually by 1.5%, you end up with about 900ppm. A minuscule year on year change has a rather large impact over a long enough period of time.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
Notice how Arkane doesn't link to actual scientific papers, just pop sci articles from the BBC and other news sites.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Notice how Arkane doesn't link to actual scientific papers, just pop sci articles from the BBC and other news sites.

Is this a parody of a troll post?

I've referenced two papers. For the greening paper, I linked to the journal...so in your mad dash to write your shitpost, I guess you missed that. For the Atlantic ocean study, I discussed that across many different posts when it was published including here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453503&pagenumber=167&perpage=40#post435295253

and here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453503&userid=107386&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post433920283

Both times I linked to the paper. Not like it matters, since the papers are frequently behind paywalls.

Here's a good write-up on that paper & the oceans generally: http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2...d=tw-share&_r=0

By the way, I've been discussing AMO as a possible culprit for the hiatus since at least 2010. This is not some new and controversial theory.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Arkane posted:

Is this a parody of a troll post?

I've referenced two papers. For the greening paper, I linked to the journal...so in your mad dash to write your shitpost, I guess you missed that. For the Atlantic ocean study, I discussed that across many different posts when it was published including here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453503&pagenumber=167&perpage=40#post435295253

and here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453503&userid=107386&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post433920283

Both times I linked to the paper. Not like it matters, since the papers are frequently behind paywalls.

Here's a good write-up on that paper & the oceans generally: http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2...d=tw-share&_r=0

By the way, I've been discussing AMO as a possible culprit for the hiatus since at least 2010. This is not some new and controversial theory.

The problem is that those articles are essentially saying that global warming is occurring, but some natural mechanisms might have slowed down this warming in recent years. Of course you draw your own conclusions to fit your own worldview, which is that the atmosphere hasnt been warming since 1998, or that if it has it's only because of ENSO events.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mystic_Shadow posted:

The problem is that those articles are essentially saying that global warming is occurring, but some natural mechanisms might have slowed down this warming in recent years.

Good, you get it. This is exactly what I am saying.

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Your own worldview, which is that the atmosphere hasnt been warming since 1998, or that if it has it's only because of ENSO events.

This is your fantasy of what I am saying. I've not posted these statements anywhere.

So you're now onto two posts in a row of making random poo poo up. What's in store for post number 3?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Never mind, should have known better.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Seems like an opportune time to bring up Richard Muller's spectrum of participants in the climate debate:

https://www.quora.com/How-many-climate-change-denialists-are-there-in-the-US/answer/Richard-Muller-3

quote:

How many climate change denialists are there in the US?

The number of climate change deniers in the US depends on what you mean by "denier". I, for example, am not only convinced that global warming is real, and caused by humans, but I can make a compelling case that it is so, and I spend a substantial part of my time talking to those who don't accept that. I don't publicize the list of people I have convinced, but you would likely recognize some of the names.

On the other hand, I might be listed as a "climate change denier" because I also can show that hurricanes are not increasing (as many alarmists claim), neither are tornados, and droughts and floods are not becoming more common.

So how do you classify me? A climate change denier? A global warming believer? In my book, "Energy for Future Presidents" (pig 74) I give the following categories:

Alarmists. They pay little attention to the details of the science. They are “unconvincibles.” They say the danger is imminent, so scare tactics are both necessary and appropriate, especially to counter the deniers. They implicitly assume that all global warming and human-caused global warming are identical.

Exaggerators. They know the science but exaggerate for the public good. They feel the public doesn’t find an 0.64°C change threatening, so they have to cherry-pick and distort a little—for a good cause.

Warmists. These people stick to the science. They may not know the answer to every complaint of the skeptics, but they have grown to trust the scientists who work on the issues. They are convinced the danger is serious and imminent.

Lukewarmists. They, too, stick to the science. They recognize there is a danger but feel it is uncertain. We should do something, but it can be measured. We have time.

Skeptics. They know the science but are bothered by the exaggerators, and they point to serious flaws in the theory and data analysis. They get annoyed when the warmists ignore their complaints, many of which are valid. This group includes auditors, scientists who carefully check the analysis of others.

Deniers.They pay little attention to the details of the science. They are “unconvincibles.” They consider the alarmists’ proposals dangerous threats to our economy, so exaggerations are both necessary and appropriate to counter them.

I am probably closest to being a "lukewarmist". So would I be placed in the category of denier?

Should the alarmist and the exaggerators be listed as "deniers" since they don't accept the basic conclusions of the IPCC? (They think the IPCC understates the conclusions.)

This all illustrates why people who give statistics on the number of deniers are often giving misleading conclusions.

The majority of posters in these climate threads on SA I would say fall into the category of alarmists. In fact, this forum is the single most alarmist place for climate discussion I've ever seen and I read a lot of climate stuff. Just batshit insane discussion about the downfall of humanity and civilization posted on a near constant basis. I think someone in a previous thread suggested that we non-ironically start killing oil executives, and another that we need a worldwide dictatorship.

Anyway, I'm probably around 50% lukewarmist, 50% skeptic. I'd say there are serious flaws in climate reconstructions, but on the rest of the topics I'm fairly on board with everything. The climate models are obviously the biggest point of contention. When compared against observations, they've so far been trash, and alarmists ignore that, while the rest of the list embraces that discussion.

Overall, I think this place is largely scientifically-ignorant and practically brainwashed on alarmism. So my 50% lukewarmist/50% skeptic is met with calls of "denier." Mystic_Shadow seems to be a good example of an alarmist not even pretending to read my posts or engage with me honestly. Probably out of his depth, if I had to guess.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 28, 2016

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Arkane posted:

The majority of posters in these climate threads on SA I would say fall into the category of alarmists. In fact, this forum is the single most alarmist place for climate discussion I've ever seen and I read a lot of climate stuff. Just batshit insane discussion about the downfall of humanity and civilization posted on a near constant basis. I think someone in a previous thread suggested that we non-ironically start killing oil executives, and another that we need a worldwide dictatorship.

Dear god I'm in agreement with arkane

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Banana Man posted:

I think there's a middle ground between the sentiment that humanity is doomed by the year 2100 (which I would say maybe a handful of posters actually believe) and the idea that manmade climate change isn't something to be worried about and that advances in technology will save us from this thing that we shouldn't be worried about anyway (which is Arkane's stance.) The sea level is slowly rising, which will affect populations in very low-lying areas (think Bangladesh and islands in the Pacific Ocean.) Certain parts of the globe are seeing an increase in droughts, other parts will see an increase in floods, etc. There is an increase in CO2 the likes of which we haven't seen on a geological time scale. Oceans are acidifying at a rapid rate. It is happening right now. There are natural cycles that do the same thing but they do not act on the same timescales. This is not controversial stuff to climatologists. It is not the end of humanity as we know it but it will bring a lot of pain to a lot of people. To us first-worlders, probably not as much.

Of course, to understand the effects of all that on the frequency and magnitude of tornadoes, hurricanes, and other meteorological disasters you probably need to have studied this subject for many many years, which very few posters here can claim to have done. And no, a degree in engineering or geology isn't the same.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
Oh, good, we're re-defining "alarmists" as "They say the danger is imminent, so scare tactics are both necessary and appropriate, especially to counter the deniers. They implicitly assume that all global warming and human-caused global warming are identical." I'm glad we're coupling "danger is imminent" with "scare tactics are appropriate" so as to muddy the waters. This list basically defines the entire scientific climate change community as "warmists" lol

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Arkane posted:

Thanks for this observation, although I'm scratching my head as to what it has to do with anything. I'm not sure what conclusion you can draw from zeroing in on the nuttier excerpts from literally thousands of comments left over the last four years here on an internet forum, apart from gratifying your well-established fondness for cherry-picking.

quote:

Anyway, I'm probably around 50% lukewarmist, 50% skeptic. I'd say there are serious flaws in climate reconstructions, but on the rest of the topics I'm fairly on board with everything.
What does this even mean? Do you agree that AGW presents a major threat to humanity or not? If not, do you have an explanation for why every major scientific foundation or organization in every developed country on the face of the planet disagrees with you?

Out of curiosity: In the last thread, I asked you if - wait, let me find it

rivetz posted:

Arkane, you seem to know an awful lot about the oceans, but you of course are not an oceanographer. On the off chance that you missed my question somehow: are you aware of any scientist or researcher whose primary area of focus is the world's oceans who disputes the scientific consensus on anthropogenic climate change (namely, that the planet is warming, the predominant cause is human activity, and the consequences are potentially severe)?

How about the International Glaciological Society, the International Association of Cryospheric Sciences, or the World Glacier Monitoring Service?

Arkane posted:

Not aware of any, no
That was eighteen months ago, so I'm just wondering if that's changed since then, like, if there's anybody at all, even one scientist, anywhere who agrees that (correct me if I'm misrepresenting your position):
  • the earth is warming,
  • it's at least partially due to human activity,
  • overall it's not a major problem that demands action because the models aren't sufficiently accurate, the impact will be less than predicted and we have sufficient time to adapt our energy policy.
Is that a reasonable assessment of where you're at? I just wonder how it is that you "read a lot of climate stuff," but evidently not by oceanographers, I guess, or my request would be a piece of cake, right?

quote:

Overall, I think this place is largely scientifically-ignorant and practically brainwashed on alarmism. So my 50% lukewarmist/50% skeptic is met with calls of "denier."
It isn't fair for me to respond to this without confirming my assessment of your position on AGW above.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Arkane is pretty much right about this thread. I mean, somehow the guy who regularly uses this as an E/N thread to post how sadbrains climate change makes him has not been laughed out.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Arkane posted:

Seems like an opportune time to bring up Richard Muller's spectrum of participants in the climate debate:
https://www.quora.com/How-many-climate-change-denialists-are-there-in-the-US/answer/Richard-Muller-3

This classification is obviously bad because it doesn't allow for the possibility that global warming can be a serious threat. The categories are a set of thin strawmen designed to corral the reader into noted-non-climate scientist Richard Muller's personal beliefs. Setting aside the fact that Muller has been famously late in accepting climate science, and that he is still behind the curve, the fundamental logical structure of the article is poorly formed and non-scientific.

This part in particular strikes me:

quote:

Exaggerators. They know the science but exaggerate for the public good. They feel the public doesn’t find an 0.64°C change threatening, so they have to cherry-pick and distort a little—for a good cause.

What year was this written where .64C is the extent of the warming we're facing?

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Arkane posted:

What I said was over the next few decades, these sinks could reduce the increases. Because atmospheric co2 projections rely on compounding emissions growth, small changes to the year on year multiplier can have large impacts at the end point. For instance (these numbers are purely illustrative), if you start with 3ppm and compound it by 2% annually, you end up with 1050ppm in 2100. If you compound it annually by 1.5%, you end up with about 900ppm. A minuscule year on year change has a rather large impact over a long enough period of time.

The leaves ARE the sinks and they already exist and have done nothing to reduce the rate of CO2 increase, which that chart shows has accelerated over the pertinent time period. Even if you claim that this increase in leaf area delayed 400ppm by a few months (quite possible), the amount of extra leaves that the planet can accomodate is limited by numerous factors (already mentioned, above) and thus the rate of additional leaves per year must decrease over time, which is the opposite of what would be required if they were even a significant carbon sink in the first place.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
A more careful reading of that poo poo article turned up that its from his book "physics for presidents" which was published in 2008. Muller himself states in 2012 that he was a skeptic in 2008 and that he was rapidly converted to the science once he set out to study it himself:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/opinion/the-conversion-of-a-climate-change-skeptic.html

quote:

Three years ago I identified problems in previous climate studies that, in my mind, threw doubt on the very existence of global warming. Last year, following an intensive research effort involving a dozen scientists, I concluded that global warming was real and that the prior estimates of the rate of warming were correct. I’m now going a step further: Humans are almost entirely the cause.

That is a 2012 quote from him. 3 years prior was the publication of those categories.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh come on now, killing oil exec's is just plain good policy for *many* reasons

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:munch:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Wasting time responding to Arkane is a fools errand, just put him on ignore and move along.

We have bigger things to worry about, like Falling oceanic oxygen levels.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Arkane posted:

The climate models are obviously the biggest point of contention. When compared against observations, they've so far been trash, and alarmists ignore that, while the rest of the list embraces that discussion.

Rime posted:

Wasting time responding to Arkane is a fools errand, just put him on ignore and move along.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
Arkane is that guy who sends a stupid message to a huge email list, causing dozens of people to reply-to-all with snarky put-downs, and almost as many people to respond with "everyone stop replying, you're just making it worse!"

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Rime posted:

We have bigger things to worry about, like Falling oceanic oxygen levels.

I seem to remember reading about something like this years ago. That chemistry of the oceans or atmosphere could get all hosed up cause of climate change. Not sure how you could adapt to that one on any level.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Interesting article about "carbon farming" in Australia: http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2016/apr/28/could-carbon-farming-be-the-answer-for-a-clapped-out-australia

Another article about sustainable farming certification: http://www.greenbiz.com/article/are-sustainable-farming-certifications-making-difference

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I seem to remember reading about something like this years ago. That chemistry of the oceans or atmosphere could get all hosed up cause of climate change. Not sure how you could adapt to that one on any level.

Not well. At that point, you're probably talking about geoengineering.

There was a study I read last summer about how you could theoretically sequester a lot of the CO2 absorbed by the ocean by using powdered olivine, which was an attractive prospect since it's one of the most plentiful substances on Earth. It isn't anywhere near cost-effective, however, but I could see crap like that being greenlit very quickly, and probably without enough research.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Banana Man posted:

Well then you are wrong because Arkane is a straight up denialist who is always wrong.

Fix yourself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

CommieGIR posted:

Well then you are wrong because Arkane is a straight up denialist who is always wrong.

Fix yourself.

I don't know he links some pretty convincing papers

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Banana Man posted:

I don't know he links some pretty convincing papers

He's a AGW denialist. That's all you need to know. His entire goal has been to prove that:
1. AGW is not real
And
2. Humans are not causing it.

So, no, anything he links is either a misquoted article or straight up fabrications

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I like how he read the list and picked the exact opposite of the correct thing of what people in the thread would call him. Kind of sums up his whole history in this thread.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

You know that thing that god people say when they try to come up with a reason to have a religion: "but......what if you're wrong?" It sort of works if you apply it to climate change deniers, skeptics, lukewarmist, lutefisks and whatever other categories there were in that list.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

i am harry posted:

You know that thing that god people say when they try to come up with a reason to have a religion: "but......what if you're wrong?" It sort of works if you apply it to climate change deniers, skeptics, lukewarmist, lutefisks and whatever other categories there were in that list.

but that makes you sound like an r/athiest

checkmate climateailures :smuggo:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

i am harry posted:

We will have raised our standards of living and improved the environment all for naught!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
http://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...ate-change-case

quote:

As for the judge's ruling on extraordinary circumstances, "It's not climate change that's the extraordinary circumstance, it's that this agency hasn't done what it's legally obligated to do for almost 30 years," Rodgers told me after the courtroom let out. "And [Judge Hill] recognized that a court has a responsibility to step in and protect the rights of young people that are being harmed by climate change. This is world-changing and it's amazing."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I love the update at the bottom: "We've actually been serious about acting this entire time and the court's ruling is really just an affirmation."

The first in a long line of officials to say they've been onboard with stronger green initiatives this whole time? An outlier?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's unclear to me how this won't be overturned on appeal.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I can't wait for this to become reality in 20-25 years!

quote:

http://gizmodo.com/extreme-heat-will-make-parts-of-the-middle-east-and-afr-1774311994

Extreme Heat Will Make Parts of the Middle East and Africa Uninhabitable by 2050

New research shows that temperatures are set to skyrocket in parts of the Middle East and Africa, making human habitation next to impossible. In a region that’s home to 500 million people, that could trigger a climate-exodus of epic proportions.

These new climate projections, compiled by researchers from the Max Planck Institute, tell an incredibly scary story—like, apocalyptic Mad Max scary. According to Johannes Lelieveld and colleagues, even if Earth’s average temperature were to increase by two degrees Celsius compared to pre-industrial times, the summer temperature in these regions would still increase more than twofold by the midpoint of the century. Combined with prolonged heat waves, decades-long megadroughts, and windblown desert dust, these environmental conditions would be intolerable for humans, forcing many to migrate.

By 2050, summer temperatures in parts of the Middle East and North Africa would stay above 86ºF (30ºC) at night. During the day, temperatures during the hot seasons are predicted to rise to 114ºF (46ºC). By the end of the century, midday temperatures would reach 122ºF (50ºC). By comparison, the average maximum summer temperature in Eastern California’s Death Valley is 115ºF (46ºC).

Heat waves will likely occur ten times more frequently than they do now, and they’ll last much longer. Prior to 2005, there were about 16 excruciatingly hot days per year on average. According to the new models, it will be unusually hot for about 80 days per year—a figure that will jump to 118 days by the end of the century.

And if all this wasn’t bad enough, the researchers also found that desert dust in the atmosphere is increasing over Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Syria. They’re attributing this to an increase of sand storms as a result of protracted droughts. Climate change will exacerbate this even further.

Needless to say, this will have a dramatic effect on people who live in these areas.

“Climate change will significantly worsen the living conditions in the Middle East and in North Africa,” noted Lelieveld in a statement. “Prolonged heat waves and desert dust storms can render some regions uninhabitable, which will surely contribute to the pressure to migrate.”

For the study, the researchers based their calculations on two scenarios, one in which global emissions of greenhouse gases start decreasing by 2040 (i.e. we succeed at meeting the climate target set at the recent UN Climate Summit in Paris), the other based on the assumption that greenhouse gases will continue to increase unabated (usually referred to as the “business-as-usual scenario.”). In the latter scenario, the mean surface temperature of our planet will increase by more than 4ºC compared to pre-industrial times.

Unfortunately, both scenarios yielded dramatic temperature rises in these desert regions, particularly during the summer months when it’s already very hot. Parched desert surfaces cannot cool by the evaporation of groundwater, and since the balance of surface energy is controlled by heat radiation, this makes the greenhouse gas effect even worse.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

On the bright side that will probably end Dubai, but of course the assholes running the show there won't be the ones who end up cooking in the end. :smith:

I wouldn't be surprised if pressures from this sparked a nuclear exchange between Israel and Palestine either even if they're not as thoroughly scorched, which will be great when nuts start screaming about the apocalypse as predicted in Left Behind. Hopefully there won't be enough of them left by then to do more than scream about it, but then nobody would have guessed Trump would become the no-poo poo GOP frontrunner for president 20 years ago either.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ah, there's that Middle Eastern death spiral I was mentioning a few months ago. Because that'll be happening.

How many hundreds of millions will we be forced to bar from asylum/let die in the 2050s just in order to keep feeding ourselves in this Malthusian catastrophe?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I experienced 50 degrees Celsius last year in southeastern Turkey. It's hard to put that kind of heat into words: the air hurts to breathe, it's hard to stay conscious in the shade, entering the sun for just a minute is like stepping into the flame of a BBQ. You can't even swim in rivers, because the water acts as a magnifying glass and cooks you. By 8am it was over 30 degrees, and it was still over 22 at midnight.

I saw grass spontaneously combust twice in the same day. Maybe there was glass or something nearby to cause it, but it just went poof. I drank 8L of water and was still dehydrated.

You can't comprehend that suffering until you've felt it. Civilization won't survive that if it spreads.

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 3, 2016

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rime posted:

I experienced 50 degrees Celsius last year in southeastern Turkey. It's hard to put that kind of heat into words: the air hurts to breathe, it's hard to stay conscious in the shade, entering the sun for just a minute is like stepping into the flame of a BBQ. You can't even swim in rivers, because the water acts as a magnifying glass and cooks you. By 8am it was over 30 degrees, and it was still over 22 at midnight.

I saw grass spontaneously combust twice in the same day. Maybe there was glass or something nearby to cause it, but it just went poof. I drank 8L of water and was still dehydrated.

You can't comprehend that suffering until you've felt it. Civilization won't survive that if it spreads.

lmao

Grass, even dry grass, requires a temperature of well over 200 degrees F to ignite. Your claim is suspect, at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Rime posted:

I've dealt with summers in Yuma that reach around 49 degrees C (120 Farenheit) occasionally but considering the averages I keep seeing listed I realize I actually can't speak to what a regular pounding of 50 C or even 45 C as an average temperature is like by comparison. That won't stop a lot of other people from blowing it off using similar logic until the mass die-offs/disasters make that clearly not like anything humans have seen before though.