Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The prequel series wasn't that great, so I'm keeping my expectations in check for this sequel series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I was kind of hoping the sequel (to the prequel) would be Second Day of Camp, just so everyone would keep playing teenagers while getting even older. Nice to see more confirmed, either way!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Gonz posted:

But Arnold took his bitterness over a combination of back pay and being slighted on promotions (which had a lot to do with the fact that he was often a difficult person to work with, and had made enemies in the army), and became a supremely unrepentant douche who superkicked his own country through a barbershop window. gently caress that guy forever.

Well I mean to be fair it wasn't really his country, it was just a rather successful separatist movement.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i finished six feet under. very sad. very sad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't believe I live in a world where I'm getting even mooooooore WHAS. So good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently finished Continuum, which was a most enjoyable series. I wasn't as keen on all the time travel mythology stuff they tried, but it was well done nonetheless. It's nice that they were able to get their story finished satisfactorily, though it's a bit disappointing to hear that Simon Barry had ideas for as many as seven seasons. What could have been.

It was bittersweet in the end, so I want something a bit lighter as a palette cleanser - some sort of bottom-feeding genre slush would be ideal but I've already seen most of the superhero shows. How is Once Upon A Time? I'm a colossal child so I like Disney, and I understand it's pretty Disney.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Everyone is a moron in Once Upon a Time.

Have you checked out Killjoys?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If you are like me and somehow avoided watching Community all these years, check that out. It's really fun.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Snak posted:

If you are like me and somehow avoided watching Community all these years, check that out. It's really fun.

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh you mean when I get to when it starts sucking? Well I'm about to start season 3, so it shouldn't be too much longer...

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Season 4 is mostly garbage, Season 5 is a mediocre attempt to pull the show out of the tailspin it was left in, and I thought Season 6 was pretty good for the most part. The finale is great.

In retrospect though, it's kind of crazy that Yahoo chose a show that was definitely going into its last season to launch their streaming platform on. What did they think was going to happen to the show's audience after the finale? They'd just be so grateful that they'd stick around forever?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Wheat Loaf posted:

How is Once Upon A Time? I'm a colossal child so I like Disney, and I understand it's pretty Disney.

If you thought Dexter was really bad but you really enjoyed reading the thread about it, you'll get the same experience here, albeit with fewer posts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Once Upon a Time is entertaining for the parts where it's a mystery about who corresponds to what character and stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Argue posted:

If you thought Dexter was really bad but you really enjoyed reading the thread about it, you'll get the same experience here, albeit with fewer posts.

I never actually watched Dexter. I saw a couple of episodes on whatever terrestrial UK channel had it but I never watched it regularly. It didn't seem like the sort of thing that would appeal to me.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
OUAT has a more convoluted mythology than Lost, and not just because it's lasted longer. Like 3 seasons in you'll be all :psyduck: about how insane it is. It also borrows the same format as Lost, making it even crazier.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Snak posted:

Oh you mean when I get to when it starts sucking? Well I'm about to start season 3, so it shouldn't be too much longer...

Season 3 is the best season for the record

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I recently finished Continuum, which was a most enjoyable series. I wasn't as keen on all the time travel mythology stuff they tried, but it was well done nonetheless. It's nice that they were able to get their story finished satisfactorily, though it's a bit disappointing to hear that Simon Barry had ideas for as many as seven seasons. What could have been.

It was bittersweet in the end, so I want something a bit lighter as a palette cleanser - some sort of bottom-feeding genre slush would be ideal but I've already seen most of the superhero shows. How is Once Upon A Time? I'm a colossal child so I like Disney, and I understand it's pretty Disney.

The worst part about the final season of Continuum is that we didn't get the appropriate amount of Garza we needed. She was the unsung hero of the series.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I gave up on OUAT some time when the Frozen arc started. It's a stupid fun show for a while, and I suppose still is, but I just couldn't be bothered eventually.

Really dig the latest episode of Blacklist. Probably my favorite so far just for the non-linear style. I'm a sucker for that kind of poo poo.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

tao of lmao posted:

I gave up on OUAT some time when the Frozen arc started. It's a stupid fun show for a while, and I suppose still is, but I just couldn't be bothered eventually.
Frozen arc was probably some of the best stuff since the first season IMO.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Netflix and BBC are doing another Watership Down series. I never saw the one from the early 2000s, but it looked terrible. I loved the movie. Hopefully this will be more like the film than the first series.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Once Upon A Time is a crazy nonsensical soap opera set in the imagination of a young girl who had all her toys play together.

It's fun as long as you enjoy that and just get a kick out of finding out how the hell Snow White knows the Little Mermaid. If you tend to get hung up on nonsensical plots, irrational behavior, or impossible coincidences then the show will drive you insane. But if you want to see actors chew scenery as they play Disney villains and see Mulan, Little Red Riding Hood, and Dorothy Gale go on a quest together then this is your show.

And the show does a really good pacing thing in its later seasons where it breaks up each half season into a new story and "world" like Frozen or Oz. So it's well made for binging in parts and then taking a break from the crazy before you dive into a new dozen episodes of a new world.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

And the show does a really good pacing thing in its later seasons where it breaks up each half season into a new story and "world" like Frozen or Oz.

Now I want to see HBO's Oz crossover with Disney franchises.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched like the first 5 eps of Limitless and thought it was okay but still network mediocrity. Is it actually a good show now or just good for a network show?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I watched like the first 5 eps of Limitless and thought it was okay but still network mediocrity. Is it actually a good show now or just good for a network show?

I was as skeptical as you are, but it turned out to be a good show. Fun, well-acted, cleverly-written, and like Person of Interest (another excellent show I initially avoided because I thought it would be a bland, mediocre CBS procedural, and the first few episodes were exactly that), it ended up being awesome.

Did you make it to the Ferris Bueller's Day Off episode yet? I think that was the one that finally won me over.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

Josh Lyman posted:

Some people around here will tell you yes, but I watched the first five, had the same impression as you, then watched two more recommended episodes and still wasn't impressed. I love Ferris Bueller, and I feel like they kind of muddled the Ferris tribute episode. Cute idea, boring tropey plot.

It's cool that the show is energetic, future-forward and takes some risks, but it still feels full of cliches and not really plotted consistently well. If the show actually gets good, please post some stand-out episodes.. TVIV changed my mind on The Leftovers and The 100, but it took a few good episodes to convince.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MrBuddyLee posted:

It's cool that the show is energetic, future-forward and takes some risks, but it still feels full of cliches and not really plotted consistently well. If the show actually gets good, please post some stand-out episodes.. TVIV changed my mind on The Leftovers and The 100, but it took a few good episodes to convince.
Woah now, The Leftovers is a properly good show. The 100 is just network good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One good season and one bad actually makes a show just okay.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think both intros of The Leftovers are terrible. Probably the worst on any HBO drama.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

One good season and one bad actually makes a show just okay.
That's fair, the first season was okay at best, but the second (and most recent) was amazing, so trending up is better than trending down.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just finished the second episode of Containment. Still decent.

I'm pretty sure I know how the virus is going to be resolved (this isn't really a spoiler since it's based on the first scene of the first episode, but just in case): the pregnant teenager is infected but her amniotic fluid/placenta will provide a vaccine.

The people stuck in a tech facility, they wouldn't be playing horseshoe with makeshift rings in real life. They'd probably be binging Netflix.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 28, 2016

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

That DICK! posted:

i finished six feet under. very sad. very sad.

So good

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mu Zeta posted:

I think both intros of The Leftovers are terrible. Probably the worst on any HBO drama.

Whoa now, the second season's opening was amazing and quickly became one of the highlights of my Sunday. The worst HBO opening belongs to Vinyl.

It's a shame TD Season 2 was such a Dumpster fire because I loved the Leonard Cohen opening and the visuals.

e: We can all agree that the best HBO opening is The Sopranos though, right? I recently rewatched it and I don't think I skipped the opening at all.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 28, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Carnivale has the best one

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I never actually watched Dexter. I saw a couple of episodes on whatever terrestrial UK channel had it but I never watched it regularly. It didn't seem like the sort of thing that would appeal to me.

The worst thing about Dexter is that it didn't start out bad. At first, the acting, writing and even cinematography was actually quite good. I'd recommend season 1 to anyone. Then there's season 2, which is good but not as good.

Then we get to season 3 where the show starts being lazy. Not only is the plotting and the main villain really bad, the production itself starts becoming lazy. Re-hashing plotlines and dialogue that we've seen before. Season 4 almost brings the show back with an outstanding performance from John Lithgow as the season villain but it's the followed by season 5 which is offensively bland. Plot developments are simply not allowed to stick anymore, every season hits the reset button. At that point the show just keeps getting worse and worse, never trying anything new, until we eventually end up at the infamous lumberjack ending.

If Under The Dome didn't exist I'd easily call it the worst show ever.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 28, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Xoidanor posted:

Then we get to season 3 where the show starts being lazy. Not only is the plotting and the main villain really bad, the production itself starts becoming lazy. Re-hashing plotlines and dialogue that we've seen before.

Don't forget about the "best" red herring in all of tv history.

CHICKY HINES!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is pretty great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ociMBfkDG1w

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

Don't forget about the "best" red herring in all of tv history.

CHICKY HINES!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

All the current SNL cast make me want to physically assault them on sight.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I was as skeptical as you are, but it turned out to be a good show. Fun, well-acted, cleverly-written, and like Person of Interest (another excellent show I initially avoided because I thought it would be a bland, mediocre CBS procedural, and the first few episodes were exactly that), it ended up being awesome.

Did you make it to the Ferris Bueller's Day Off episode yet? I think that was the one that finally won me over.

A few more to consider if you are still on the fence:

Episode 6 gets very explicit about the dark side of NZT and reframes the immunity issue appreciably. Similarly Episode 11 (the mid-season finale) is another episode that highlights the danger of the drug and how the show approaches that kind of story.

On the other side, Episode 7 is a Ferris Bueller homage that's fun, Episode 9 (Headquarters!) is a really light and fun ensemble episode, and 10 introduces a tech R&D group that comes up here and there and is host to all sorts of puns and the like.

I don't think Limitless has a flat out "Watch this episode and you'll be on board" episode like PoI, but beyond the first few episodes they really do a better job of balancing both the light and dark sides of the narrative as they go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Dexter S1 is great, and practically a different show. Then they realise that they wanted the show to have legs so they soften Dexter and make every villain in the show worse than he is so that you can root for him and it quickly desolves into garbage. Yes, the Lithgow season is good, but only when its about Dexter and Trinity, you'll be amazed at how little a gently caress you give about everyone else.

• Locked thread