Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

A White Guy posted:

Phil analyzes Moldbug on a philosophical level - he's approaching NRx from the detached viewpoint of an academic, which is probably why he can stomach so much NRx at once.

Also, his book is actually pretty good so far. I've really enjoyed reading all of his excerpts. I might actually buy it.

Do it do it. Tell your friends - the Kickstarter stretch goal essays will also be sheer delight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A White Guy posted:

Phil analyzes Moldbug on a philosophical level - he's approaching NRx from the detached viewpoint of an academic, which is probably why he can stomach so much NRx at once.

Also, his book is actually pretty good so far. I've really enjoyed reading all of his excerpts. I might actually buy it.

I'm definitely gonna chuck in some money. Hope the Kickstarter has an easy-enough goal.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Does Aurini pitch shift his voice? I find it distinctly unnatural sounding, and it would fit right in at his history of being a complete poser who pretends to smoke cigarettes, pretends to drink whiskey, and pins a target on his wall where all the holes are from a BB gun and none are on target.

e: oh my god Aurini posts on NMA I can't breathe from laughing so hard why haven't I watched hbomberguy videos before :newlol:

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 01:44 on Apr 28, 2016

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Woolie Wool posted:

Does Aurini pitch shift his voice? I find it distinctly unnatural sounding, and it would fit right in at his history of being a complete poser who pretends to smoke cigarettes, pretends to drink whiskey, and pins a target on his wall where all the holes are from a BB gun and none are on target.

e: oh my god Aurini posts on NMA I can't breathe from laughing so hard why haven't I watched hbomberguy videos before :newlol:

No, he just has a warbly nerd voice that is also deep.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Speaking of, Phil has a new excerpt from his book up http://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog/neoreaction-a-basilisk-excerpt-two/

I grow increasingly baffled anyone could find Moldbug convincing about anything.

I love Phil, but this blog is starting to pull me into Nick Land and Eugene Thacker's maw, and reminds me strongly of other depressed Lovecraftians I know. I'm still going to buy the book, but it's disturbing stuff for a guy I got into because of comic book wizards and Dr. Who.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Count Chocula posted:

I love Phil, but this blog is starting to pull me into Nick Land and Eugene Thacker's maw, and reminds me strongly of other depressed Lovecraftians I know. I'm still going to buy the book, but it's disturbing stuff for a guy I got into because of comic book wizards and Dr. Who.

You are so weird.

And yes, I realize the irony in me telling someone that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Count Chocula posted:

Don't lump Thacker in with those fucks. He knows what he's talking about and can write a sentence.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Jack Gladney posted:

Don't lump Thacker in with those fucks. He knows what he's talking about and can write a sentence.

I've never heard of him before but the blog is mostly comparing him and Land.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Count Chocula posted:

Keep in mind that Land's big revelation involved a psychotic break. Maybe reading this stuff isn't good for you. Were you worried about death before you read that other dudes book?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Peztopiary posted:

Keep in mind that Land's big revelation involved a psychotic break. Maybe reading this stuff isn't good for you. Were you worried about death before you read that other dudes book?

Yeah, and reading about somebody else dealing with the same thing I did - and talking about how other people did - helped me a bunch. Anyway, I read Phil's book-length essays on tie in media to a British TV show I only started watching 5 years ago. I just plain like his writing, so I'm gonna follow him down this rabbit hole and chuckle at his references to minor Grant Morrison comics (The Basilek is such a GM idea). I also want to see more about what he says about Lovecraft, since I've got a complicated relationship with him, his fans, and the influence of his hosed up philosophy. Might try to use Patreon to get him to talk about the Mountain Goats' Lovecraft in Brooklyn.

I might be imagining things, but wasn't Nick Land constantly referenced in the mammoth Transformers exegesis in the film sub forum?

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Having read a lot of both, my feeling is that Land is the better stylist overall (though both are highly variable, and de gustibus and all that,) and of course they are rather alike in using Lovecraft as a lens for talking about cosmic pessimism.

Obviously Thacker shouldn't be lumped in with the fascist weirdo set because his politics are "we should be p worried about global warming" not "humanity should die in the robo-mines to build golden statues of uploaded Steve Jobs," but I don't think anybody was lumping him in in that sense.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Woolie Wool posted:

Aurini's voice is just like that, c.f. other people's podcasts he appears on.

At least his diction is crystal-clear, and that's great! He has an excellent podcast voice! The problem is what he uses it for.

Jack Gladney posted:

Land's "Phyl-Undhu" is legitimately quality stuff! He's just such a Lovecraftian he's also being a huge racist!

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Calling your book making fun of techlords File Undo is a good joke.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Is "Lovecraftian" actually a designation for some philosophical/ideological tendency? I thought it was just one lovely "cthulu swims left" joke.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Goon Danton posted:

I read Moldbug's "I'm done with this blog" mini-post and I'm pretty sure I've seen enough of him for one lifetime.

Judging from the excerpts of Sandifer's book though, Nick Land at least seems fascinatingly crazy.

Land is honestly a lot of fun (I've read everything he published pre breakdown and disappearance, so everything in Fanged Noumenon and The Thirst for Annihilation: Georges Bataille and Virulent Nihilism) and his readings of Bataille, Nietzsche, Marx and Sade (as in the Marquis de) are convincing, erudite, and eloquent. I'm a convinced anarchist so his later stuff repels me, but his earlier core concepts and ideas about acceleration, psychic trauma, and cybernetics are pretty neat and have been picked up by a bunch of left-accelerationists, so the early stuff is worth reading, if even for passages like this:

Nick Land, The Thirst for Annihilation: Georges Bataille and Virulent Nihilism p. 188-190 posted:

Literature is like love in that both are catastrophic diseases. The way literature wantonly exploits the resources of base physiology is like love, as is the way it allies itself with hunger, sleeplessness, malaise, and strange fevers; derailing lives, and undoing the most methodical projects. Love introduces the taste of abjection and the gutter into the most secure of existences, breaking open interiorities, until it finally gets its wretched sacrifices down onto the floor, from where they are pitched into the abyss of supplication without possible response, choking on a sulphurous mixture of ecstasy and despair. There is no great literature that is not simultaneously a degradation and a burning futility. It is no coincidence that literature has been a perpetual tortured erotic stammering, whose aesthetic momentum flows from the fact that ‘beauty alone... renders tolerable the need for disorder, violence, and indignity that is the root of love’ [III 13].

There is certainly no ‘philosopher’, and perhaps there is no writer of any kind, who has more recklessly explored the dark and extravagant terrain of erotic love than Bataille. It is not only that his fictions and poems are saturated with the erotic, since Eroticism, The History of Eroticism, and Tears of Eros, etc. are all ‘theoretical works’, but nor is it that this ‘theme’ is extended in a circumscribed fashion into certain non-literary texts. It would be tempting to suggest that—as the fusion of sexuality and death—eroticism was the keystone of Bataille’s entire work, were it not that it is incommensurable with self, completion, and achievement. Eroticism certainly communicates itself into the most tangled vacuolizations of Bataille’s writing, melding heterogeneous terms into viral constellations, and messing everything up, but then: ‘‘‘ [c]ommunication” is love, and love defiles those it unites’ [VI 43].

Every production and articulate word, every morsel of nourishment, every second of sleep, is an atrocity against love and a provocation to despair. Erotic passion has no tolerance for health, not even for bare survival. It is for this reason that love is the ultimate illness and crime. Nothing is more incompatible with the welfare of the human species. ‘I search only for the terror of evil’ [IV 219], writes Bataille, in his adherence to the violent refusal of integral being. ‘Evil is love’ [III 37], ‘the need to deny an order with which one is unable to live’ [III 37]. The terrestrial problematic at its most furious finds a useless undoing in eroticism, so that the descent into love is also fundamental economy, which is perhaps a tragedy, or a joke (something truly hideous and sacred in any case).
That the root of love is a thirst for disaster is exhibited throughout its erratic course. At its most elementary love is driven by a longing to be cruelly unrequited; fostering every kind of repellent self-abasement, awkwardness, and idiocy. Sometimes this provokes the contempt that is so obviously appropriate, and the tormented one can then luxuriate in the utter burning loss that each gesture becomes. One wastes away; expending health and finance in orgies of narcosis, breaking down one’s labour-power to the point of destitution, pouring one’s every thought into an abyss of consuming indifference. At the end of such a trajectory lies the final breakage of health, ruinous poverty, madness, and suicide. A love that does not lead such a blasted career is always at some basic level disappointed: ‘to love to this point is to be sick (and I love to be sick)’ [III 105]. Yet there are times in which the morbid horror of love infects the beloved, or one is oneself infected by the passion of another, or two strains of love collide, so that both spiral together into a helix of strangely suspended disintegration, cheated of innocent disaster. Each competes to be destroyed by the other, drifting into the hopeless ecstasies that follow from the severing of all moorings, attempting to exceed the other in mad vulnerability. When propelled by an extremity of impatience this too can lead to suicide of course, but such an outcome is uncommon. The adequate pretext for such a conclusion is lacking, since the capacity to wound is melted from the world, which becomes a softened—and often almost imperceptible—backdrop, whilst the beloved, who is invested with such a capacity to a degree inconceivable to the utilitarian mind, strives entirely to annul it. Thus it is that the lovers conspire to protect each other from the lethal destiny of their passion, either succeeding in this, and relapsing into the wretched sanity of mutual affection, or compacting their fever to new scratch-patches of intensity. In the latter case all legible charts are lacking, and if the real has a splinter-fringe of utter exploration this is it...

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Count Chocula posted:

I might be imagining things, but wasn't Nick Land constantly referenced in the mammoth Transformers exegesis in the film sub forum?

I think that was Lacan.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hellequin posted:

Land is honestly a lot of fun (I've read everything he published pre breakdown and disappearance, so everything in Fanged Noumenon and The Thirst for Annihilation: Georges Bataille and Virulent Nihilism) and his readings of Bataille, Nietzsche, Marx and Sade (as in the Marquis de) are convincing, erudite, and eloquent. I'm a convinced anarchist so his later stuff repels me, but his earlier core concepts and ideas about acceleration, psychic trauma, and cybernetics are pretty neat and have been picked up by a bunch of left-accelerationists, so the early stuff is worth reading, if even for passages like this:

Land is terrible and was long before he became part of the DE. It's super-obvious that he's a sadist who gets off on the idea of people being eaten alive by robots and so forth.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The thread has come to an answer: The only one of these fuckers who can write a readable sentence is Nick Land, and even he hardly ever bothers.

(source)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Silver2195 posted:

Land is terrible and was long before he became part of the DE. It's super-obvious that he's a sadist who gets off on the idea of people being eaten alive by robots and so forth.

He can write, but I kind of feel like the unspoken message of everything he writes is "Why do these PATHETIC FOOLS not acknowledge my GODLIKE genius?"

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Hellequin posted:

I want the ten minutes I spent reading that florid :emo: garbage back.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SUWK_pWrbw

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

I want the ten minutes I spent reading that florid :emo: garbage back.

I stopped reading after the first paragraph and regret nothing.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Nick Land''s output is fun because it's half overly earnest teen/grad student gushing about Cthulhu eating us all (and like other things that are willing to take the risks of earnestness, it gets genuinely interesting every so often) and half fiftysomething uncle on FB complaining about random trivialities. If a Xenosystems post features a tweet, you know it's the latter.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Wow. Sorry hbomberguy, you have been surpassed.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

Yeah, that's pretty much why I find him interesting, even if I rarely agree with him. A lot of the reasons I find Land interesting are the same reasons I like Lautreamont, Rimbaud, and Baudelaire. He approached philosophy from such a fundamentally nihilistic and pessimistic angle that even I couldn't agree with his conclusions, the journey he took to reach them unearthed some neat things. I still stand by statement that his reading of Sade and Bataille is great, and his arguments contra Kant are pretty solid. Plus he introduced me to Georg Trakl's poetry, so I do owe him that.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hellequin posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much why I find him interesting, even if I rarely agree with him. A lot of the reasons I find Land interesting are the same reasons I like Lautreamont, Rimbaud, and Baudelaire. He approached philosophy from such a fundamentally nihilistic and pessimistic angle that even I couldn't agree with his conclusions, the journey he took to reach them unearthed some neat things. I still stand by statement that his reading of Sade and Bataille is great, and his arguments contra Kant are pretty solid. Plus he introduced me to Georg Trakl's poetry, so I do owe him that.

Sources for his work on de Sade?

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

Jack of Hearts posted:

Sources for his work on de Sade?

Most of it is tucked into Thirst for Annihilation when he's reading Bataille alongside Sade. It's been a while since I read it but I'm thinking the last half of the book?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hellequin posted:

Most of it is tucked into Thirst for Annihilation when he's reading Bataille alongside Sade. It's been a while since I read it but I'm thinking the last half of the book?

If it sucks I'm coming for you, Hellequin. I don't like paying for things.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

Jack of Hearts posted:

If it sucks I'm coming for you, Hellequin. I don't like paying for things.

Find a .PDF on library genesis, the book is stupidly expensive.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaswepNoSRk&t=208s

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Is "Lovecraftian" actually a designation for some philosophical/ideological tendency? I thought it was just one lovely "cthulu swims left" joke.

http://www.believermag.com/issues/200410/?read=article_houellebecq

I swear there used to be a full text available legally online, but this essay by famous French misanthrope Michael Houellebecq, HP Lovecraft: Against The World, Against Life, lays it out. It's used to describe a kind of nihilism and existential terror, perhaps tinged with racism and xenophobia.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I think he expanded it to a full book? It has that essay, a deep dive into the Shadow Over Innsmouth, and maybe a little bit of Lovecraft biography. It was okay, if you're willing to read Houellebecq's prose. Here's a taste, I think the full book is maybe two hundred pages? It's a pretty slim book anyway, if you discount the complete reprinting of Shadow. Houellebecq is an interesting dude, but like a lot of the DE people his misanthropy is outweighed by his dislike of women and Muslims, more or less in that order. I mean, he doesn't like dudes much either, don't get me wrong.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I can't wait til Michel Houellebecq writes a book about a sympathetically portrayed pedophile who goes around randomly murdering Muslims and people treat it as a Work Of Serious Literature basically just because he's French and it doesn't count as bigotry when they do it.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Oligopsony posted:

Nick Land''s output is fun because it's half overly earnest teen/grad student gushing about Cthulhu eating us all (and like other things that are willing to take the risks of earnestness, it gets genuinely interesting every so often) and half fiftysomething uncle on FB complaining about random trivialities. If a Xenosystems post features a tweet, you know it's the latter.

Speaking of which, I'm growing increasingly convinced that no one to the right of Robin Hanson actually knows what signalling is. For this to be "virtue signalling" Scalzi would have to be saying something that would be meaningfully more difficult if he lacked some sort of virtue than if he didn't, which is something I'd presume they're loathe to admit and, incidentally, doesn't strike me as true. Not that Scalzi strikes me as an especially vicious person either, but for something to usefully count as virtue signalling it would have to be something that conspicuously requires virtue. Scalzi is really only signalling that he knows how the crowd (mis)uses language.

But then maybe I'm being too generous. Maybe, if you have an extremely specialized version of Tourrette's that gnaws at you to shout "CUCK friend of the family friend of the family human being CUCK" at the top of your lungs, if you and your friends have convinced each other that this is the natural state of things and a true report of everyone's thoughts, then anyone saying something to the contrary is lording it over the rest of us with their extraordinary self-control.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Oligopsony posted:

Speaking of which, I'm growing increasingly convinced that no one to the right of Robin Hanson actually knows what signalling is. For this to be "virtue signalling" Scalzi would have to be saying something that would be meaningfully more difficult if he lacked some sort of virtue than if he didn't, which is something I'd presume they're loathe to admit and, incidentally, doesn't strike me as true. Not that Scalzi strikes me as an especially vicious person either, but for something to usefully count as virtue signalling it would have to be something that conspicuously requires virtue. Scalzi is really only signalling that he knows how the crowd (mis)uses language.

But then maybe I'm being too generous. Maybe, if you have an extremely specialized version of Tourrette's that gnaws at you to shout "CUCK friend of the family friend of the family human being CUCK" at the top of your lungs, if you and your friends have convinced each other that this is the natural state of things and a true report of everyone's thoughts, then anyone saying something to the contrary is lording it over the rest of us with their extraordinary self-control.

It means "if I can accuse you of insincerity, I win"

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Anyone who disagrees with me is a cultural marxist. What is a cultural marxist? Nobody knows :shrug:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I would rather Fragmaster had read this.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Oligopsony posted:

Every time I see the phrase "virtue signaling" it makes me wish there was a real, lengthy essay titled "Is Morality Performative?" or something, because that might actually be interesting. As it stands, every mention of virtue signaling I see is invariably shallow, dismissive, and not particularly useful for understanding someone's politics or society.

Curvature of Earth has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Apr 29, 2016

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Curvature of Earth posted:

Every time I see the phrase "virtue signaling" it makes me wish there was a real, lengthy essay titled "Is Morality Performative?" or something, because that might actually be interesting. As it stands, every mention of virtue signaling I see is invariably shallow, dismissive, and not particularly useful for understanding a persons politics or society.
Yeah. I think there's a plausible model where, say, people want to be around and befriend people who are benevolent, and what the same crowd calls "telescopic altruism" serves as a better signal of benevolence than local altruism, even though what you're trying to display is the latter, because the former can't be part of a reciprocity exchange. Of course, this is hardly an argument against "telescopic altruism," let alone signalling - we would be lucky to live in a world where local incentives tend to lead people to act good to people who aren't local (since we're all getting affected by nonlocal actors all the time), and undermining discourse norms that support that would be destructive of just the kind of spontaneous social order the right supposedly wants to lionize.

Likewise, plausibly most interesting cultural output is the result of young people trying to signal intelligence and free time and passion. That doesn't mean the output is bad; it means we should be glad people are signalling! I'm not the biggest fan of capitalism, but a bad argument against capitalism would be "firms are only providing customers what they want because it's in their selfish interests." That's the main argument in capitalism's favor!

Of course, a plausible model isn't reality, and I don't have any good sense of how to test something like this, but that's another reason it could benefit from serious analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I can't wait til Michel Houellebecq writes a book about a sympathetically portrayed pedophile who goes around randomly murdering Muslims and people treat it as a Work Of Serious Literature basically just because he's French and it doesn't count as bigotry when they do it.

Nobody should read Houellebecq. I admit I was technically unfair to him in this post, but ehh gently caress him.