Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

setafd posted:

what's the difference

The shadow under her skirt is darker? I think? What a stupid loving thing to get outraged over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hate gamers, I really do

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Problem Sleuth posted:

The shadow under her skirt is darker? I think? What a stupid loving thing to get outraged over.

They could have put her in a hijab and would be a loving stupid thing to get outraged over.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think Ni-Oh would be a lot better if the first mooks you see couldn't kill you in 1-2 hits. Or at the very least I'd get to see more of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo splatoon is loving incredible

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

a local movie theater has its own food menu thing filled with awful puns

awful awful puns

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lurdiak posted:

Speaking of horny nerds, I find it funny that the strawman that people who rail against video game "censorship" always use of "Lara Croft in a winter parka" is actually in the new Tomb Raider game.

I always used the tech/engineer jumpsuit in that last one. It made me feel like ripley.

Motto posted:

don't worry gamers, the artistic integrity of the medium is safe with our youtube watchdogs on the case
https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/725455568144470016

i think normally think kleppick is a wanker, but i agree with him here. I dont understand weird Japanese games like that? like i understand why final fantasy/kingdom hearts/other mainstream jrpgs gets its audience. i can also understand why people play that vollyball titty game because its just for wank. but poo poo like this? who is the audience? just weird nerds?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
someone was really proud of their kevin bacon and last action gyro puns but didn't have nearly enough puns to fill out the rest of a menu

also shrek is just a steak salad wtf

not like

an onion blossom or something

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
A theater here has a drink called the Sin Cherry Soda and I always read it like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iUucKd2Jlo&t=7s

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

eh, it's dumb, but cute.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
idk where to find their full menu tho, the full menu definitely has some extra stuff on there like I think a sausage sandwich called a clint eastwood or something

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phantasium posted:

I think Ni-Oh would be a lot better if the first mooks you see couldn't kill you in 1-2 hits. Or at the very least I'd get to see more of it.

I posted this before, but the game demands that you adopt what I'm going to call "aggressive defense" to your attacks. Essentially, you need to strike when you have a killing opportunity--hitting an enemy from behind, finishing a combo from full stamina, will usually kill bad guys. When you're dealing with groups, do the souls thing--back off, guard aggressively, and let them open themselves up to counter attack.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

someone was really proud of their kevin bacon and last action gyro puns but didn't have nearly enough puns to fill out the rest of a menu

Gimmick sandwich naming is one of those things I've never understood. I figure it started with like "oh John Wayne famously likes the BLT, so we'll call it the John Wayne" or like local delis naming a house special after a regular, but when I go in a restaurant and they have a sandwich menu that's a million things like "Charlie Chaplin - fried pickles, deli ham, spicy mustard" I don't know what the gently caress to think

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think normally think kleppick is a wanker, but i agree with him here. I dont understand weird Japanese games like that? like i understand why final fantasy/kingdom hearts/other mainstream jrpgs gets its audience. i can also understand why people play that vollyball titty game because its just for wank. but poo poo like this? who is the audience? just weird nerds?

:confused: it looks like an upbeat RPG from a developer that's fairly decent at making those

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Boy, I'm juggling a lot of games right now. I'm about halfway through my Dark Souls III completionist run, I've got two more episodes of Tales From the Borderlands to get through, I want to spend more time with the new Europa Universalis IV expansion, I have a Final Fantasy XII file I've already invested a lot of time in, a friend of mine wants to try multiplayer Endless Legend and Endless Space...

I'm going to have to quit my job! I'll do anything for video games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is the only Persona game coming out this year

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Gimmick sandwich naming is one of those things I've never understood.

It's pretty straightforward. Nobody will pay ten bucks for a Reuben that they could make at home, but they'll pay for the Whoopi Goldberg Deluxe Meat Palace.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Aeana/status/725534670599802881
https://twitter.com/Aeana/status/725534755140177920

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

idk where to find their full menu tho, the full menu definitely has some extra stuff on there like I think a sausage sandwich called a clint eastwood or something

Alamo Drafthouse did this for a long time until they got big and then they had to rename them for legal reasons because apparently Hollywood gets upset if they catch wind you name your pizza The Usual Suspects.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Motto posted:

don't worry gamers, the artistic integrity of the medium is safe with our youtube watchdogs on the case
https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/725455568144470016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

hot drat

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
For anyone actually curious why there's so much "censorship" of this poo poo, it's because even the slightest hint of female underwear inspires dozens of pages of furious forums posting and tweeting and it's become less stressful for publishers to simply say "eh, gently caress that, throw a shadow on".

Are Americans prudes? Yes. Glad you finally noticed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

For anyone actually curious why there's so much "censorship" of this poo poo, it's because even the slightest hint of female underwear inspires dozens of pages of furious forums posting and tweeting and it's become less stressful for publishers to simply say "eh, gently caress that, throw a shadow on".

:lol:

Where are you quoting this from?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

I want to believe that all these weird people who say things like "we didn't have video game censorship before 2014" and get pissy about the faintest dimming of panty shots are teenagers and literal children who don't know how the world works. I choose to believe that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah its weird how we're prudes about people wanting to jerk off to underage people

idc if people get horny from video games but the creepy line is pretty visible and you should know when you crossin it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No for real my wife and I have been playing splatoon online and drinking single malt scotch for the past 3 hours and we're not even close to sick of it

fuckin goty right here

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
please do not be creepy on the internet

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

precision posted:

No for real my wife and I have been playing splatoon online and drinking single malt scotch for the past 3 hours and we're not even close to sick of it

fuckin goty right here

Splatoon is a fuckin amazing game my friend.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm playing the original UNCENSORED version of Castlevania where they didn't pander to American prudes by removing all the crosses from gravestones.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

I'm pretty loving into the Nioh demo, but it does a poo poo job of explaining some of the most important mechanics. It mentions them, and the it doesn't actually put what it says about them in the tutorials section. I beat the first mission, and I would love to know how Ki Pulse is supposed to work. It's basically a required mechanic to beat the first boss, but you can't look up what they told you about it.

My biggest gripe is the enemies that crawl on the ground, making them virtually impossible to hit. That is lame. I can stab guys who are knocked into the ground, but I can't stab guys who are crawling?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm playing the original UNCENSORED version of Castlevania where they didn't pander to American prudes by removing all the crosses from gravestones.

I always thought it was weird that games like Dragon Quest had crosses in them in the Japanese version to start with. I guess they really love Jesus in Alefgard.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Quest For Glory II posted:

coincidentally i'm playing tomb raider anniversary and she's in snowy rear end mountains with her OG shorts and tank top, girl gonna get pneumonia
Seriously though watching Lara climb that frozen antenna in TR 2013 in a tank top was loving painful. It's different when a game's world is wrapped in a bunch of more or less abstract textures but the moment I can see realistic frost gather on the protagonist's skin it's time to put a nice jacket into the game.

People complaining that this is somehow censorship just make me want to see jackets put into every game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lara has been wearing jackets when appropriate since like the second PS1 game. Sometimes still coupled with booty shorts though....

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

I'm pretty loving into the Nioh demo, but it does a poo poo job of explaining some of the most important mechanics. It mentions them, and the it doesn't actually put what it says about them in the tutorials section. I beat the first mission, and I would love to know how Ki Pulse is supposed to work. It's basically a required mechanic to beat the first boss, but you can't look up what they told you about it.

My biggest gripe is the enemies that crawl on the ground, making them virtually impossible to hit. That is lame. I can stab guys who are knocked into the ground, but I can't stab guys who are crawling?

Yes, I feel they missed a beat from Dark Souls, in that Souls explains its core mechanics very well, and instead leaves outlier mechanics to be mysterious and to be discovered. The game definitely needs a proper tutorial area, but the demo is more interested in letting you get into the combat engine ASAP.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I always thought it was weird that games like Dragon Quest had crosses in them in the Japanese version to start with. I guess they really love Jesus in Alefgard.

Again, I don't know why you think this is so strange. Have you not seen an actual cemetary? Granted, it's a Japanese game, but clearly taking place in a Western-style setting, so...

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yeah its weird how we're prudes about people wanting to jerk off to underage people

I didn't say it was weird?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

a local movie theater has its own food menu thing filled with awful puns

awful awful puns
damm that's legit cheap for a theater dinner thing. i want one

even $5 popcorn is kind of a bargain at this point

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yes, I feel they missed a beat from Dark Souls, in that Souls explains its core mechanics very well, and instead leaves outlier mechanics to be mysterious and to be discovered. The game definitely needs a proper tutorial area, but the demo is more interested in letting you get into the combat engine ASAP.
I mean, it's an "alpha demo", so I wouldn't be surprised at all if the actual game has a much better tutorial.

Nioh's take on bloodstains is probably the coolest loving evolution of the concept though. 90% of the time in soulsgames, bloodstains are useless. The blood pools they added in SotFS were pretty great, but outside of people hilariously falling to their death, they weren't very useful from a gameplay perspective.

What Nioh does is, instead of showing you a recording of someone who died, it spawns a hostile NPC with the build and gear of the character who died their. So all the bloodstains are essentially extra enemies that you can choose to fight for loot and XP, and they are way more varied than the normal enemies, because they are player builds.

Edit: and you can see before choosing to fight them, a representation of their loot table, indicating the quality of each piece of gear they might drop.

I am gonna buy this game so hard.

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 28, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

I mean, it's an "alpha demo", so I wouldn't be surprised at all if the actual game has a much better tutorial.

Nioh's take on bloodstains is probably the coolest loving evolution of the concept though. 90% of the time in soulsgames, bloodstains are useless. The blood pools they added in SotFS were pretty great, but outside of people hilariously falling to their death, they weren't very useful from a gameplay perspective.

What Nioh does is, instead of showing you a recording of someone who died, it spawns a hostile NPC with the build and gear of the character who died their. So all the bloodstains are essentially extra enemies that you can choose to fight for loot and XP, and they are way more varied than the normal enemies, because they are player builds.

They are also really tough so I don't bother. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

precision posted:

Holy poo poo splatoon is loving incredible

:yeah"

Seriously, the game devoured my free time after May. I love it so much.

• Locked thread