Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
D&D gonna have it so some random dude was already in a Jon glam when he died just to spite the GRRM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Didn't like the Sand Snakes, eh? Thought it was a poorly executed boondoggle to give Bronn and Jaime something to do, eh? Well how about we give them all the obnoxious showboating plot armor in the world!

This season will end with Danaerys uniting the Khalasars with a rousing speech and uniting with Dorne against those mean ol' powerless armyless Lannisters. Also, Jorah dies sacrificing himself after infecting literally everyone in Essos.

And why the hell would the Boltons fight the Lannisters at this point? They're allied with them and they already won the north.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 26, 2016

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

drat, now that I think about it she might just glam up Davos as Jon or someone shocking.

An endless series of Spartacusesque inspirational glam-slamming. "If you really think about it, Jon Snow is in all of us."

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
:10bux: on Dany killing all of Westeros by bringing greyscale, after saving Westeros against ice zombies.

The destroyed iron throne with Snow on it is deadJon as king of a dead realm.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Bemis posted:

I was referring to the guy on foot, but afaik it is still possible to use a shield and weapon on horseback?
I also liked the one guy dismounting after he knocked Brienne off her horse. Gotta keep things fair.
I realise it is just fiction but the characters are operating in a nonsensical fashion.

That was about the guy being cocky and wanting to beat a woman. That's why the next guy stayed on his horse.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm sorry but I clicked a clickbait about old lady melisandre after trying to get a video game demo that turned out to only be for europe. I was weak and frustrated.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/25/game-of-thrones-just-how-old-is-melisandre

quote:

Van Houten suggested to Entertainment Weekly that her character might not actually know how her magical powers work. “She has no idea how she does it," van Houten said. "A magic necklace? Wow."
'This season van houten is a writer on the show.' Did I do the thing right?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
That's pretty much the same as the books iirc. The whole "return of magic" theme is handled by various magic-ish/religious people being like "Well it didn't work before and now it's working like crazy".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bemis posted:

I was referring to the guy on foot, but afaik it is still possible to use a shield and weapon on horseback?
I also liked the one guy dismounting after he knocked Brienne off her horse. Gotta keep things fair.
I realise it is just fiction but the characters are operating in a nonsensical fashion.

yes. a really good horseback rider can control their horse with just their knees and heels, though you will have to grab the reins to make really sharp maneuvers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lots of shields also used arm hoops rather than a handle so you could still use your hand on the reins

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That's pretty much the same as the books iirc. The whole "return of magic" theme is handled by various magic-ish/religious people being like "Well it didn't work before and now it's working like crazy".

More like it did work before and now it's more powerful. Magic wasn't dead with no dragons, it just wasn't as spiffy.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

MrSlam posted:

Didn't like the Sand Snakes, eh? Thought it was a poorly executed boondoggle to give Bronn and Jaime something to do, eh? Well how about we give them all the obnoxious showboating plot armor in the world!

This season will end with Danaerys uniting the Khalasars with a rousing speech and uniting with Dorne against those mean ol' powerless armyless Lannisters. Also, Jorah dies sacrificing himself after infecting literally everyone in Essos.

And why the hell would the Boltons fight the Lannisters at this point? They're allied with them and they already won the north.

Sansa is still wanted as a suspect for Joffrey's murder, so marrying Ramsay to her is sort of a "hey gently caress you" to the Lannisters.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So it's all but certain Ramsay's going to murder Fat Walda and maybe Roose given the constant pregnancy reminders right?

MrSlam posted:

There's the whole "Ramsay married Sansa who should be married to Tyrion" thing as well as the whole Cersei believing Sansa was complicit in Geoffrey's death. The idea the Lannisters are going to march against the north is still loving absurd, especially since Cersei's fresh rage is going to be focused on Dorne now, but Roose isn't wrong to worry about it since if the north is divided it means a lot of Stark loyalists might help the Lannisters if it means getting revenge for the Red Wedding.

Lack of Fatman Manderly is a goddamn crime though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ah yes, Cersei the paper ripper of house "oh-poo poo-we're-losing-roberts-rebellion-uh....WILDCARD!" Lannister. There's someone you can count on to honor her dead dad's secret deals.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I completely forgot Sansa was wanted for Joffrey's murder. My brain only references about one and a half books ago so in my head I guess she was hanging out at the Eyrie this whole time.

So at this point:
Dorne - Civil war with Aegon / Sandsnakes rebellion
Vale - Succession problems
Riverlands - Sacked all to hell and full of criminals
Casterly Rock - Bankrupt, in jail, endless scandal, all but a handful of power-playing nobles left alive
Iron Islands - Succession problems + sent all of its fleets to do things elsewhere
Stormlands - Dead/Dying in the North from 20 good men
The North - Nobody likes the Boltons, depopulated by war, about to freeze to death

Mereen - Dead, hosed, poisoned, burned, slaved, castrated, still somehow a powerbase for Dany

The only people who seem to be making out gangbusters is the Reach, and even they have two VIPs in sex-jail.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 26, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

So it's all but certain Ramsay's going to murder Fat Walda and maybe Roose given the constant pregnancy reminders right?

Yeah that seems pretty likely in the show. There was a shot somewhere of a couple of people burning on crosses. I can't think of any likelier candidates since I doubt big bitch and Pod are going down like that and Zombie Jon won't lose either.

Plus in the show Ramsay is good at everything he does and never loses so he'll probably outwit his father too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nah I think roose and ramsay is going to be more difficult than that . Show roose is true only person who visibly makes ramsay uneasy onscreen. He'll certainly murder fat walda, but he won't get rid of roose so easily .

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think they'll have Roose stick around. He's a pretty compelling B-tier Tywin and is included in the "schemes like a smart, shrewd practical guy" club, as opposed to Cersei and Littlefinger way, which seems to mark characters in ASOIAF/GOT as someone who will stick around for a while. This is also why I figure(d?) Stannis would stick around, he's like a practical style Ned who is a rules stickler, but is also willing to dabble in some shadiness to achieve his ends.

Like...I would have accepted that Stannis goes down because he betrayed who he was and Westeros by letting Melisandre convince him that some old rules don't matter just because she said so, but I think it's lovely that he's pretty much marched into a pretty grisly scene just because Mel is a :smugdog: rear end in a top hat who refuses to admit she's not as sure as she tells everyone she is and also Ramsay outsmarted THE GREATEST MILITARY MAN IN WESTEROS!

Edit: Roose's status as a shrewd schemer is something I'm sensing from the show/book. Not my opinion.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 26, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Show Roose had one clever scheme and for the rest of the time just serves as captain hindsight chastising Ramsay for his past mistakes, instead of you know being clever enough to prevent half of his blunders in advance. He's basically just an aloof autistic oaf in the show who's led by the nose by his psychopathic bastard and is pretty superfluous.

Can easily see him getting offed.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
Ramsay marrying Sansa is absolutely in Cersei/the Lannisters' best interest as it neutralizes the Stark claim to the North and, once she has a kid, makes her completely disposable to everyone. Marrying her to her ancestral enemies to be used a brood mare then thrown out like garbage is exactly the kind of thing Cersei would sentence someone to in the books and spinning the marriage into what appears to be a mutually beneficial arrangement to maintain the alliance and his wardenship is exactly the kind of thing Roose would do.

Pretending that the show holds up to any degree of logic or internal consistency beyond "eh it's happening because it's in this script we threw together last Tuesday gently caress it" is an exercise in futility.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The Boltons get their comeuppance from Jon Snow who was in the trailer riding into the Bolton shield wall.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
So I was really curious if the show writers could make show Dorne somehow even more uninteresting, boring, pointless, tedious and idiotic than the book Dorne (at least compared to the other plot lines), and it looks like they succeeded! What an achievement!

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The Boltons get their comeuppance from Jon Snow who was in the trailer riding into the Bolton shield wall.

Jon gets resurrected but then dies a second time at the (shield) wall. Well played, D&D.

Hodor third head, best head.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

I hope the entire rest of the season is Davos and Tormund carrying Jon Snow around, like Weekend at Bernies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Nah, that was Leofric and Skorpa. Go watch The Last Kingdom. It's like Game of Thrones except not poo poo.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saeka posted:

I hope the entire rest of the season is Davos and Tormund carrying Jon Snow around, like Weekend at Bernies.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nah I think roose and ramsay is going to be more difficult than that . Show roose is true only person who visibly makes ramsay uneasy onscreen. He'll certainly murder fat walda, but he won't get rid of roose so easily .

Roose seems smart enough to know that since Ramsay's been legitimized there's no reason Ramsay wouldn't kill him to seize full control as soon as he gets the chance. Especially with the whole "Ramsay murdered his older, legitimate, brother already" thing. I don't know if the show ever mentioned it though.

Though in the books Roose doesn't seem to suspect (or show he suspects) who exactly is actively working against him, or that he was fed his dead in-laws in a big meat pie.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The pace of the episode feels like they're still waiting for Martin to finish.

"Game of Thrones was filmed before a live studio audience."

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I think we all know where Roose and Ramsay are going at this point :colbert:

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

I like that theory tbh. sure its a reach, but would be a good twist.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Zenithe posted:

Preston Jacobs review of the episode is awesome. I think he's given up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JxoX0Y59yQ

Glorious, especially the "previously on game of thrones" parody.

edit. Chad Summerchild

Yohn Royce saying "he swing a sword like a girl with palsey" was a highlight of the season, Preston.

Preston clearly hates the show because it nullifies like 95% of his theories by excising all the random worldbuilding that clearly doesn't matter that much.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Preston doesn't like that line because he's a massive Sweetrobin fanboy.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Say one thing you like about the books, and one thing you don't like:

Gilly thinking reading is magic and Sam is a wizard is pretty neat.
Every second with Tyrion from the moment they get attacked by the stone men is one big blur of poo poo that doesn't matter.

Mike N Eich posted:

Preston clearly hates the show because it nullifies like 95% of his theories by excising all the random worldbuilding that clearly doesn't matter that much.
It's gonna be real weird. The showrunners will only have two episodes to explain Littlefinger's circular marriage scheme, Manderly's super secret alliance, the Citadel's extinction of magic and political subterfuge, the Children of the Forests' origins, the telepathic/haunted/gaslighted Sweetrobin that was promised, Euron's wild-eyed crazy idea that is definitely going somewhere, the Martell's double super secret scheme to give Cersei a headache, and Sansa's ability to turn into a giant bat because she's a Whent.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 27, 2016

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
This is from page 177 of the thread, I'm a little behind, but wow, someone called it.

Aurubin posted:

zocio posted:

Melisandre:
Pros:
Smoking hot
Sad part is is that this is probably an illusion. Giant gently caress-off rubies seem to be necessary for magic when the recipe doesn't call for burning somebody, and she's got one around her neck.

Dec 2011. Before Season 2 aired.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

MrSlam posted:

Say one thing you like about the books, and one thing you don't like:

Gilly thinking reading is magic and Sam is a wizard is pretty neat.
Every second with Tyrion from the moment they get attacked by the stone men is one big blur of poo poo that doesn't matter.

It's gonna be real weird. The showrunners will only have two episodes to explain Littlefinger's circular marriage scheme, Manderly's super secret alliance, the Citadel's extinction of magic and political subterfuge, the Children of the Forests' origins, the telepathic/haunted/gaslighted Sweetrobin that was promised, Euron's wild-eyed crazy idea that is definitely going somewhere, the Martell's double super secret scheme to give Cersei a headache, and Sansa's ability to turn into a giant bat because she's a Whent.

You think HBO WOULD include the part where Jon learned to give head from being telepathically linked to his dog.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Mike N Eich posted:

Yohn Royce saying "he swing a sword like a girl with palsey" was a highlight of the season, Preston.

I assumed it was there because book Robin would have had five seizures on the way to his first swing.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

::Sees 30k unread posts::

...you absolute fuckers.

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model

Super Ninja Fish posted:

This is from page 177 of the thread, I'm a little behind, but wow, someone called it.

Sad part is is that this is probably an illusion. Giant gently caress-off rubies seem to be necessary for magic when the recipe doesn't call for burning somebody, and she's got one around her neck.

That's been an old theory though. Cressen and Davos both repeatedly note the ruby and feel as though some power comes from it. Later it's revealed that Melisandre does have glamouring powers to help Stannis see visions in the flames, and of course there's the whole Mance swap.

Another theory is that she's the daughter of Bloodraven and Shiera Seastar, which would make Mel quite a bit older than she appears, hence why the ruby is attributed to covering up her age via glamouring powers.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Where whores go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I had thought that her appearance being a glamour was generally accepted, not sure why people are surprised especially.