Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I just came across this cute "baby's first taxable paycheck" post on reddit

/r/personalfinance posted:

So I am working for money for the first time. I work for a union and the pay isn't bad for my age.
I received my check about 1 hour ago, and I am shock and upset at the same time.
My first check I checked online for my time reports and how much I made before any other taxes.
I made $1080.80. 700 of that was regular hourly wage, and 380 was from tips.
So after I looked at my pay check. The union took 15$ because I work for them. Which is no problem.
Than on the other end there was a (Federal tax.) Which took $330.
I am in shock right now on how much tax they took. Isn't Income tax 5% for a lot of states.
That 300$ is basically all my tips.
I am 18, and is the tax supposed to so god drat much?!?

Some of his follow-on comments are great, too:

quote:

I get 14.75 hourly.
I don't know if my job is considered full time. I can work 8 hours, but I leave everyday after 5, because I server a specific type of dish. After I served it all I leave.
I don't really know what w4 is -_-.
Wow k can't believe the state just took a bite than the IRS took a other Bute of my check.
Also I am paying for OASDI which is a lot too. 60$

quote:

Oh my god.
I am so hurt.
I didn't know there was federal tax. I thought MA state tax was federal tax.
Jesus FUKING christ. I just lost 300 dollars and I can't do anything about it.

Maybe this isn't strictly "bad with money" as it is just utter naivety, but this seemed like the best place to post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Guinness posted:

I just came across this cute "baby's first taxable paycheck" post on reddit

Some of his follow-on comments are great, too:

Maybe this isn't strictly "bad with money" as it is just utter naivety, but this seemed like the best place to post it.

d'awwwwwwwwwwwww how cute

I remember being in the same boat, once.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Observe the birth of a libertarian.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
$15 for union dues is pretty cheap, I've seen dues that are $50 a paycheck.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"I didn't know there was federal tax," as if the state governments just pool their money together and use it to maintain the federal government.

Even better is this helpful comment by BitcoinPatriot , who doesn't seem to understand that government services cost money:

quote:

Welcome to the REAL world!!

Remember all this talk of "paying your fair share"? Now you know what it feels like.

First, that $330 is "withholding" and is not "taxes". The way it works is the government will "hold" so much of your income so at the time taxes are due most, if not all, of your tax obligation they already have. If you paid too much you get a refund. If you paid too little you must add another check.

So it is possible your withholding wasn't calculated right so you can check that. However, I know Massachusetts also has a STATE income tax so on top of your federal income tax (estimate closer to 10% at your income level) then add about another 5% for Massachusetts income taxes. THEN don't forget the 7.65% ALSO taken out for Social Security and Medicare. So on $1080 of gross income figure between 20% and 25% of that will go to taxes. And 25% of $1080 is $270 and they withheld $330. So you MIGHT be able to have that withholding reduced a little bit so check your W4.

But I think the more important lesson learned now that you are earning income is that taxes HURT!! And our government takes WAY too much in taxes. Notice and remember it is mainly those who do not earn income (or make very low income) that complain we should all "pay our fair share". Well, I pay MORE than my "fair share". And now you understand why many of us complain about how much we pay in taxes.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

cowofwar posted:

Observe the birth of a libertarian.

Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? :rolleyes:

We still pay, on average, some of the lowest taxes among developed countries. Granted, we get less in return, too... But everyone in this thread already knows that. A couple weeks back when I filed my 2015 taxes after all was said and done my effective federal tax rate was only 17%, despite being in the 28% marginal bracket. And that's with just the ordinary standard deduction, no fancy tricks. I would pay at least double that anywhere else in the western developed world. gently caress, I'd gladly pay double my current federal tax rate for no one in this country to ever see another hospital bill ever again.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

That's mostly not that true from what I know (and places I have lived), at least outside of the Scandinavian countries and parts of france individual taxes are often comparable to the US once fed+state are added in. Plus yknow, healthcare is free/mostly free.

I think you guys just spend it all on carriers and jets and poo poo.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Saros posted:

That's mostly not that true from what I know (and places I have lived), at least outside of the Scandinavian countries and parts of france individual taxes are often comparable to the US once fed+state are added in. Plus yknow, healthcare is free/mostly free.

Income tax doesn't tell the whole story; most European countries have exorbitant payroll taxes on the employer side (more than 25% in France for instance) which of course drive wages down substantially. Discussing income tax also does not account for the universal VAT and other very expensive taxes on necessities such as gasoline which are generally far higher in Europe than in the United States.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Yond Cassius posted:

On a much bigger and more entertaining scale than cable-chat, a guy at my office has been trying to get someone to take over the lease on his one-year-old BMW M5. BMW usually means BWM, the bigger the more so, and my coworkers have been trying to figure out how he got into this situation.

1 - The payments on this thing are a little north of $1200/month.
2 - The car starts around $95,000 - probably about as much as he makes in a year, plus or minus a month, maybe two on the outside.

We figure he's pretty much screwed, since:

1 - He's asking the new leasee to cover the $500 lease-transfer fee that BMW charges, since he's "giving up his down payment".
2 - The $1200/month price is exactly the same as you can get by walking into a BWM dealership today - in fact you can get more miles/year than he got.
3 - His down payment was only $2000. For only about five weeks' extra payments anyone interested in his offer could get one brand new, with choice of paint/trim/etc.

How the hell do people manage to get into this poo poo? It's not like this is the sort of thing that happens a little at a time, and drowns you while you're not even noticing. There are plenty of financial mistakes I understand, but I will never understand this one. I have no bills other than rent, utilities, and auto insurance. I could fade a $500 or $600 car payment without stressing any. If I were to maintain my current lifestyle, I could pay that dude's $1,200 car payment, but the very idea bums me the gently caress out. Having four, or five, or six years of putting a big, monthly chunk of money into an asset that is worth less every time I write the check, sounds miserable and stressful. I cannot see spending $1,200 per month on anything that doesn't have a roof, wings, or a pussy. I mean, it's one thing if $1,200 is 4% of your monthly income, but it doesn't sound like that's what we're dealing with, here.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Centripetal Horse posted:

If I were to maintain my current lifestyle, I could pay that dude's $1,200 car payment, but the very idea bums me the gently caress out. Having four, or five, or six years of putting a big, monthly chunk of money into an asset that is worth less every time I write the check, sounds miserable and stressful. I cannot see spending $1,200 per month on anything that doesn't have a roof, wings, or a pussy. I mean, it's one thing if $1,200 is 4% of your monthly income, but it doesn't sound like that's what we're dealing with, here.

You wouldn't even be paying for the asset, as such - it's a lease. He doesn't get to keep the car at the end.

We checked the pay band for his job family and depending on his 401k withholding (who are we kidding?) and his exact situation we're talking about probably 20-25% of his take-home, not counting gas or insurance. And, clearly, he's finding it stressful too - he's trying to get out, isn't he?

We've got nothing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How does someone not know that federal taxes exist :psyduck:

Did he think April 15 was just like National Fun Everyone Talks About Taxes Today Day?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

How does someone not know that federal taxes exist :psyduck:

Did he think April 15 was just like National Fun Everyone Talks About Taxes Today Day?

He is 18 and this is is first job. It is a job where he gets paid $15/hour to serve a dish and he can leave whenever.

He's working at his family's business or a family friend's business and is a sheltered dweeb.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
He thinks he's working for the union, too, so probably not the sharpest crayon there is.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Haifisch posted:

"I didn't know there was federal tax," as if the state governments just pool their money together and use it to maintain the federal government.

Even better is this helpful comment by BitcoinPatriot , who doesn't seem to understand that government services cost money:

If you showed me that comment and asked me to guess the username of the person who wrote it, "BitcoinPatriot" might not be my first guess, but it or something similar would definitely be in my top 10.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

If you showed me that comment and asked me to guess the username of the person who wrote it, "BitcoinPatriot" might not be my first guess, but it or something similar would definitely be in my top 10.

If you also told me it came from Reddit then yes, something very close to "BitcoinPatriot" would be my first guess :v:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Income tax doesn't tell the whole story; most European countries have exorbitant payroll taxes on the employer side (more than 25% in France for instance) which of course drive wages down substantially. Discussing income tax also does not account for the universal VAT and other very expensive taxes on necessities such as gasoline which are generally far higher in Europe than in the United States.

Petrol's only a necessity if your country isn't baller enough to have decent public transport :smug:

In before "b-but American exceptionalism!": you can send dudes to the moon, but public transport is beyond you?

vvvvvv I lolled.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 28, 2016

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Weatherman posted:

Petrol's only a necessity if your country isn't baller enough to have decent public transport :smug:

In before "b-but American exceptionalism!": you can send dudes to the moon, but public transport is beyond you?

Public transport is communism, and the Moon landing proved that they're better than communism. :smug:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Weatherman posted:

Our public transit system went to the Moon :911:

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

Zaurg, you know what you must do

done

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

gently caress off zaurg

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Weatherman posted:

gently caress off zaurg

gently caress you. I post here once every two years. You gently caress off.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

zaurg posted:

gently caress you. I post here once every two years. You gently caress off.

You shitpost here to draw angry attention and then feast on said attention, you mean.

Or: Make me

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Weatherman posted:

You shitpost here to draw angry attention and then feast on said attention, you mean.

Good of you to fill the trough.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Yond Cassius posted:

We checked the pay band for his job family and depending on his 401k withholding (who are we kidding?) and his exact situation we're talking about probably 20-25% of his take-home, not counting gas or insurance. And, clearly, he's finding it stressful too - he's trying to get out, isn't he?

Sure, he's stressed, now, but how in the world did he get all the way to the point where he's driving off in the car without having heart palpitations? I feel actual weight when I think of taking on a burden like a car payment. The part that always makes me shake my head isn't a person being in that situation; it's a person getting into that situation. "A few dollars here, few dollars there" is something I can understand, but this? The dealer prints it all out on paper for you. "You have to pay us a billion dollars per month for a bunch of years. Sign here, please."

I don't understand people impoverishing themselves with these massive expenditures. That guy basically hung a flaming tire around his own neck.

Edit:

Haha, really? That's great, but I suspect it took some mighty awful poo poo to get you to pull the trigger.

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 28, 2016

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

CombatInformatiker posted:

Public transport is communism, and the Moon landing proved that they're better than communism. :smug:

Quoting because this is great :pgabz:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Wait, what? Link me to this for mobile so you can stop making GBS threads up this thread.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

hi zaurg, did you see the thread i made in honor of you

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Saros posted:

Nah, the % of GDP that the public sector accounts for is definitely lower in the US than most western European countries (maybe not like Luxembourg or Switzerland).

edit: also relying on the US to be world police so you can skimp on your military budget is clearly Europe being GWM.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 28, 2016

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I'm actually not smart enough to figure out how taxes vs. services really works. I moved to Switzerland and my salary was easily twice what it would have been in the US for the same job, but my income tax was incredibly low even taking into account the money that was also deducted for unemployment, disability, and accident insurance (which is all nationalized as far as I can tell). Yet, despite paying almost nothing off my paycheck their university system has a low tuition, their healthcare is far cheaper than the US even though it's basically Obamacare (aged a decade in advance), and the social welfare system seems strong enough that the 5 homeless people I see (because I can actually recognize all 5) all seem to be well stocked with alcohol at all times. I have no idea how it works...I guess no real military? Nazi gold? African despot money?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Weatherman posted:

vvvvvv I lolled.

Whatever lovely island country you undoubtedly live on likely isn't even as big as one of our smaller states and is packed to the brim with assholes. Apples and oranges

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Barry posted:

Whatever lovely island country you undoubtedly live on likely isn't even as big as one of our smaller states and is packed to the brim with assholes. Apples and oranges

More liek apples and turds, also I called it

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

zaurg posted:

Looking at a family summer vacation. Wife picks out a couple homes to rent for a week in the Keys for around $2500-3000 for the week. I wasn't crazy about the idea so I came back with another option - a 4 night stay at the Ritz Carlton in Key Biscayne for $1400-$2000 depending on the selection. She gets upset because all I ever do is think about the price and I don't want to have fun. I'm like what I just showed you a few quotes for the loving Ritz which I think is a decent resort (never been but heard good things). Our bank account says we really can't afford either. Her response I just don't get. I'll post again late in Summer with the stupid financial decision I made.

I don't think that was a stupid financial decision... Good job.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm actually not smart enough to figure out how taxes vs. services really works. I moved to Switzerland and my salary was easily twice what it would have been in the US for the same job, but my income tax was incredibly low even taking into account the money that was also deducted for unemployment, disability, and accident insurance (which is all nationalized as far as I can tell). Yet, despite paying almost nothing off my paycheck their university system has a low tuition, their healthcare is far cheaper than the US even though it's basically Obamacare (aged a decade in advance), and the social welfare system seems strong enough that the 5 homeless people I see (because I can actually recognize all 5) all seem to be well stocked with alcohol at all times. I have no idea how it works...I guess no real military? Nazi gold? African despot money?

Isn't Switzerland densely populated in the cities, with most of the nation a near impenetrable mass of mountains? So you have a tiny rich nation that doesn't blow it's treasure on wars, and whose population is packed in areas where it's cheaper and easier to provide social services. There are probably individual VA hospitals that service areas larger than most of Switzerland.

Switzerland doesn't really compare to the US and probably contrasts with most of Western Europe.

Also Nazi gold.

And smartwatches are going to bankrupt your country. Sorry about that.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I have no idea how it works...I guess no real military? Nazi gold? African despot money?

Less money shuffled into the pockets of the 0.1%? No military-industrial complex burning trillions of dollars? No totally hosed-up healthcare system*? :shrug:

* Fun fact: If you buy travel health insurance here in Germany, the standard package will cover the whole world except for the US and Canada. If you include these two countries, the insurance costs three times as much. I'm not exaggerating.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
America is bad and dumb, but this is bad with money not D&D.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Anonymous Zebra posted:

It's obviously a complex answer, but one factor that often goes unnoticed is how much direct and indirect spending is consumed by America's fairly unique urban form. American cities of all sizes dedicate a lot more money and space to low-density development served by oversized, high-standard infrastructure (especially roads). This is very expensive! Road spending especially takes up a lot of state and local government money, and often generates a fairly low amount of economic activity and tax revenue per tax dollar spent.

Compare what you see on the outskirts of Bern, Switzerland (https://goo.gl/maps/kbAEnMnNKvR2) to what you see in the Chicago suburbs (https://goo.gl/maps/b7tx61MKxfy). The Swiss example dedicates a lot less space--public and private alike--to the automobile than the American example. Here's a guy who calculated the percentage of urban land actually used for buildings ] in lots of different cities around the world. Notice a trend in the way the cities fall out along that spectrum?

And of course there are the indirect costs of this policy: the per capita death and collision rates that are higher in the US than most of the developed world, imposing costs on emergency services and healthcare; the additional healthcare costs induced by the emissions and obesity that result when most people drive everywhere; the fact that most people are required to tie up a decent amount of capital in their own personal automobile(s), whether they want to or not...the list goes on.

That's way more D&D than I like to get in this thread, but this is my professional field and its really frustrating from a municipal perspective that there's always money for low-productivity roads and only crumbs available for high-productivity things like sidewalks. Or poo poo, we could cut the road spending some and then just leave those savings in people's pockets!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Also, Switzerland is super mega hitler racist and for the most part doesn't allow immigration. It can be super selective and thus has wealth coming in from there as well.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

chupacabraTERROR posted:

When I had FIOS, I can't recall a single time when the internet slowed or I had to reset some device (router, modem, w/e). With Time Warner, that poo poo is weekly (and sometimes daily).

It still happens with Google. I lost "light strength" or something and they had to fix it outside, in the snow. But they did, took a couple hours and gave me a 10 dollar bill credit. The equipment is still experimental, but it's no worse than TWC.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Krispy Kareem posted:

And smartwatches are going to bankrupt your country. Sorry about that.

Whenever people say this I have to wonder if they'd have thought Cubic Zirconia would bankrupt the diamond business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
If anything was gonna bankrupt the watch industry it would have been quartz crystals.

• Locked thread