Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Tiggum posted:

I don't mind the screenshots (although icons for some sites would be better) but I find it keeps losing the images and just showing a plain white square, which is pretty useless.

This could also be one of the Chrome flags acting up, if you're getting this behavior whenever you switch tabs. Go to vivaldi://flags#automatic-tab-discarding and select disable if that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Is there a way to add autocomplete functionality to the searchbox like Firefox has? I'd give Vivaldi a shot as my primary browser if it had that.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Multi-row of tabs would be nice for me.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Thauros posted:

Is there a way to add autocomplete functionality to the searchbox like Firefox has? I'd give Vivaldi a shot as my primary browser if it had that.

probably settings > search > enable search suggestions

I'm not totally sure but I have it switched off and get no suggestions

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Gave Vivaldi a try as I need a chrome based browser to test stuff anyway. It's surprisingly nice for an early version and even has 1-key shortcuts :woop:

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Does Vivaldi have tab stacking?

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.
Has anybody using Vivaldi had trouble with getting the Lastpass login panel to do much of anything? My first few sessions it worked fine but now :confuoot: and I don't know what's eating my login attempt when it blinks away.

Krowley posted:

Does Vivaldi have tab stacking?

Yes

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Anyone have trouble downloading Vivaldi?

It just instantly drops down to 5kb/s, and then cancels after about a minute. I never get more than 1mb or so downloaded.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wild EEPROM posted:

It just instantly drops down to 5kb/s, and then cancels after about a minute. I never get more than 1mb or so downloaded.

I was the other day, but I tried again later and it worked. :shrug:

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

I've never got the automatic updater to work (which is probably not a bad thing), but I've always been able to download the installer.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

probably settings > search > enable search suggestions

I'm not totally sure but I have it switched off and get no suggestions

Thanks, should've thought to check again but that option wasn't there in the beta I screwed around with a month or so ago.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Wild EEPROM posted:

I get that issue with the updater a lot but usually not through the website itself.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
Well I guess Vivaldi is the best Opera alternative we're going to get, time to give it another go...

The interface has improved since the last time I tested it. The shortcuts and mouse gestures feel great out of the box. I like ctrl+1/ctrl+2 tab cycling tbh, they don't fail when a text field steals focus.

The interface is pretty hackable due to being all Javascript and CSS. I was able to move the status bar up to below the tabs, which is where I like it to be.

It's reasonably responsive when opening and closing tabs, but opening a new window takes a second or two, which makes it annoying to open up a bunch of stuff in private windows.

You can search in page with '.', but you can't press enter to follow a highlighted link while searching. That kind of sucks since that's how I usually browse with the keyboard. :(

All in all pretty promising, I can probably find Chrome extensions for keyboard navigation of links and other niggles.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Despite being a resource hog, Vivaldi managed to open PDFs faster than the loving baked in PDF reader in Windows 10

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Just noticed something missing from Vivaldi. When you right-click on a link, there's no option to open it in the current tab (that is, override a link that wants to open in a new tab). That's kind of annoying.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

They have that functionality on the bookmarks bar, so it shouldn't be too hard to port it over to in-page links. Go yell at them about it on their forums.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm also not a fan of the javascript interface thing they did in general, because it doesn't behave like all normal native applications in some subtle and not so subtle ways. Like there are no context menus on panels and buttons, and you can't click a menu item and then move the mouse to another one, like you can everywhere else.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

suffix posted:

You can search in page with '.', but you can't press enter to follow a highlighted link while searching. That kind of sucks since that's how I usually browse with the keyboard. :(

Yes, I miss that too! Unironically nostalgic for a browser.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I really like Vivaldi at first glance, but after using it as my main browser for a few days it's got too many issues to put up with. Maybe when it gets more developed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Woebin posted:

I really like Vivaldi at first glance, but after using it as my main browser for a few days it's got too many issues to put up with. Maybe when it gets more developed.

Yeah I went back to Opera. What's this issue in Opera with a Chinese buyout or something?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
That only affects you if you use Chromera for some reason. Basically, the stakeholder board has decided they want to see some money, so they're selling Opera ASA to a chinese company that quite literally makes malware. The process will take a lot of months though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

We got a surprisingly heavy envelope with information about that a few weeks ago, yeah. The sale only proceeds if a certain high % of the shareholders accept, but given that they bid 70-ish NOK/share when the price was a fair bit lower that seems likely. (I don't think anyone expects the price to go back up on its own to the ~100 it was when the C-levels sold their shares around last Christmas.)

For the record, we have not accepted - not that we own enough shares for it to matter. :)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
FWIW they added Canadas SurfEasy VPN, which Opera bought to dev version of Chrompera.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Well, since the latest update, Vivaldi doesn't play videos any more. Webms are just blank and YouTube videos play sound but not video. If this doesn't get fixed soon it's going to be a massive pain in the arse.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Uh. That is definitely a thing on your end, I'm using the latest build (Win 64-bit) and I've been watching things all day.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

Uh. That is definitely a thing on your end, I'm using the latest build (Win 64-bit) and I've been watching things all day.
pre:
Vivaldi		1.1.453.47 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
Revision	ff228a374881cbd34de7a4c15c12681679de2fe0
OS		Linux 
Blink		537.36 (@ff228a374881cbd34de7a4c15c12681679de2fe0)
JavaScript	V8 5.0.71.34
Flash		(Disabled)
User Agent	Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko)
		Chrome/50.0.2661.89 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.1.453.47
Command Line	/usr/bin/vivaldi-stable --ppapi-flash-path --ppapi-flash-version --always-authorize-
		plugins --disable-translate --window-depth=24 --flag-switches-begin --flag-
		switches-end
Executable Path	/opt/vivaldi/vivaldi
Profile Path	/home/tiggum/.config/vivaldi/Default
Variations	16e0dd70-3f4a17df
		cf5ed6e1-3f4a17df
		775ebbd7-3d47f4f4
		dd4da2fc-3f4a17df
		64cbdfc2-3f4a17df
		4ea303a6-3f4a17df
		30e679f-3f4a17df
		c8b9b12d-d93a0620
		867c4c68-3f4a17df
		9f0ebdd7-3f4a17df
		a70306ec-3f4a17df
		b0dc61a1-3f4a17df
Videos were working fine until the latest update, now they're not. :shrug:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've been getting the same video problem, but it happens with Opera (to a much smaller extent) as well :negative:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Works fine for me.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Same here. Other than having chrome and that chromium ffmpeg thing installed (which I don't think anything changed between 1.0 and 1.1) the only thing I can think of is to backup .config/vivaldi and see if a fresh profile works.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

My main gripe with current Opera is the obnoxiously large tab bar, is there a way to shrink it to a more moderate size (like in Chrome)?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

tazjin posted:

My main gripe with current Opera is the obnoxiously large tab bar, is there a way to shrink it to a more moderate size (like in Chrome)?

Opera Vivaldi can do that :smug:

seriously though, I have no idea, and I doubt the ability exists in Chrompera

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Vivaldis last update also added the ability to quickly stack all tabs from a specific host, something i was using a ton with a plugin in Opera 12. It's like they're reading my mind!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Checking in: have they added in a highlight text -> Search With to Vivaldi? Or, barring that, is there an extension that can that draws from Vivaldi's search engines?

It's really fundamental to how I browse and it's forced me to use Chromopera precisely because they have it. I've found extensions but they all seem to have their own search engine list and I add and customize them too often to keep two lists.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!
It's not there natively. I'm not sure about an extension, but I doubt that one exists which supports Vivaldi's local search engine list.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Counterpoint: I'm in the latest Vivaldi stable, and I see it?

It only searches my default engine, though. It's not a submenu.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Counterpoint: I'm in the latest Vivaldi stable, and I see it?

It only searches my default engine, though. It's not a submenu.

Yeah. He's talking about the Search With function, not just the Search item. Opera has Search With (even the new, crappy Opera).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm trying out Opera on my laptop (Windows 10) and I can't figure out how to make the triple-finger swipe make the browser go back or forward a page. The same gesture works in Chrome and Firefox. Is there an extension I need?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

New update to Vivaldi makes it so that when I hit Ctrl+F the search box disappears when I go to a new page. This is maddening and I cant find anything in the settings for this :(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Opera had a thing where you could right-click on an image and click "properties" and it would tell you the dimensions, file name, alt/title text etc. and I wish Vivaldi had that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Opera had a thing where you could right-click on an image and click "properties" and it would tell you the dimensions, file name, alt/title text etc. and I wish Vivaldi had that too.

same. I'm loving loving Vivaldi, theres just a few really tiny things that I miss.