Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

380 sounds high for any tire but there are some which are way up there over 300. I dunno what's with those shops continually upping prices on you for standard poo poo like that, that sounds like crap to me. We wouldn't do that.

But I'd like to point out that shops don't just pay $20 for their tires from a wholesaler and then pull a retail price out of their rear end. The distributors/manufacturers set the prices and then the shop gets them at a variable cost below retail. When you buy online you're usually getting poo poo that's undercutting msrp by huge amounts. Internet tire prices are not "the real price," they're a stupid cheap bargain made possible by various things going on between the middlemen and big time online vendors.

I still ain't paying $380 for a loving tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My Angel GT rear was $183 or so and I'm going to be pretty annoyed if it doesn't last 10k miles

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My PR4 was $270 and lasted about 5 months.

:argh:

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

My PR4 was $270 and lasted about 5 months.

:argh:

That couldn't get fixed?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

380 sounds high for any tire but there are some which are way up there over 300. I dunno what's with those shops continually upping prices on you for standard poo poo like that, that sounds like crap to me. We wouldn't do that.

But I'd like to point out that shops don't just pay $20 for their tires from a wholesaler and then pull a retail price out of their rear end. The distributors/manufacturers set the prices and then the shop gets them at a variable cost below retail. When you buy online you're usually getting poo poo that's undercutting msrp by huge amounts. Internet tire prices are not "the real price," they're a stupid cheap bargain made possible by various things going on between the middlemen and big time online vendors.

Is your shop allowed to buy stock from an online retailer of it's cheaper?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Barnsy posted:

That couldn't get fixed?
Maybe, but I don't quite trust plugs for more than a temporary fix.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

u mad @ capitalism

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Registering with the AMA for an insurance discount and I haven't really decided what my affinity is. I mean my current Daily Driver is a Kawasaki, but I don't know that I really want to list that with the AMA. This might not be a popular opinion on CA, but I think I might actually prefer riding women to most bikes. What say you all?

edit
VVV
That blows. I only agreed because I got roadside assistance as well. Otherwise the fee wouldn't be worth it. I doubt I will renew this. According to their website right now they're fighting for motorcycle rights, by making sure the governement doesn't give Indians land in case the tribe won't let dirt bikers use it. :jerkbag: Maybe work on lane-splitting in the other 49 before taking care of the whole Whites Vs. Natives problem.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If I didn't like the AMA's roadside assistance and didn't keep telling myself I'm going to run an AMA sponsored race sometime soon, I would drop my membership. I got nothing for an insurance discount from them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Registering with the AMA for an insurance discount and I haven't really decided what my affinity is. I mean my current Daily Driver is a Kawasaki, but I don't know that I really want to list that with the AMA. This might not be a popular opinion on CA, but I think I might actually prefer riding women to most bikes. What say you all?

edit
VVV
That blows. I only agreed because I got roadside assistance as well. Otherwise the fee wouldn't be worth it. I doubt I will renew this. According to their website right now they're fighting for motorcycle rights, by making sure the governement doesn't give Indians land in case the tribe won't let dirt bikers use it. :jerkbag: Maybe work on lane-splitting in the other 49 before taking care of the whole Whites Vs. Natives problem.

From what I can tell, in the US, stealing land off the natives is far simpler and easier than making splitting legal as far as legislation is concerned.

Also 'woman rider' jesus christ.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Chichevache posted:

edit
VVV

Quoting because nsap wont see this from either of you lmao

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
gently caress the AMA right in their "no helmets" and "woman rider" bullshit.

What I find funny is that yesterday I went to sit on some motorcycles to see what's comfortable when I buy a new bike next year. Of all the salesmen for vehicles I've met over the years, the motorcycle guys have been the least *look at my husband like he's making my choices for me* and actually talk to me about bikes.

The AMA can suck it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If I didn't have to be in the AMA for racing I wouldn't.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Lynza posted:

What I find funny is that yesterday I went to sit on some motorcycles to see what's comfortable when I buy a new bike next year. Of all the salesmen for vehicles I've met over the years, the motorcycle guys have been the least *look at my husband like he's making my choices for me* and actually talk to me about bikes.

The AMA can suck it.

I'm surprised none of them tried to sell you on how comfy the pillion is.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Lynza posted:

The AMA can suck it.

They ruined our chances of passing lane splitting here in Texas. They stated they wouldn't support the bill unless we removed the helmet law portion from it. Once the helmet law portion was removed it was pretty much immediately shot down.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Minkee posted:

They ruined our chances of passing lane splitting here in Texas. They stated they wouldn't support the bill unless we removed the helmet law portion from it. Once the helmet law portion was removed it was pretty much immediately shot down.

What in the gently caress?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Minkee posted:

What a bunch of cunts.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Minkee posted:

Gonna start a Japanese American Motorcycle Association so us metric fuckers can petition for lane-splitting and other cool benefits to riding a bike that isn't the size of a Tercel.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Chichevache posted:

I'm surprised none of them tried to sell you on how comfy the pillion is.

Oh man, if that ever happens, I don't even know what I'll do. I feel like I'll look like a deer in the headlights until it sinks in, and then I'm just gonna start laughing like a crazy person.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Ride...as...passenger?"

*blinks*

"Is that a thing?"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's that actually like? I've never been a pillion and the thought frightens.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Slavvy posted:

I've done it once! It's kinda fun, but my husband wasn't happy when I tried to help with the leaning, so...

It's not too bad. I only did it for a 20-mile ride, though. I'd probably end up shanking someone if I had to do it for much longer. It's kind of nice in the sense that you can just sort of look around and enjoy the scenery.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its fun for a bit, you really have to trust the driver though.

Also who would get annoyed with the passenger helping with leaning? When they go against you is the worst

Its rare that I have a passenger but even I do the first thing I tell them is to lean with me

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I rode down Main in Sturgis on the back of a BMW GS last summer.

It kind of sucked.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

I've seen what my local shop pays for tires, and I've seen what they end up charging. Both were far higher than what I get online. $400+installation for a pair of DRZ sized BT S20s is a joke, but sadly I think their cost was around 300. Mine was just barely under $200.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

I rode down Main in Sturgis on the back of a BMW GS last summer.

It kind of sucked.

Yeah, down that straight that smooth oil-out-of-frame design of a GS doesn't quite jiggle your tiny tits the way a Buell might do.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Riding on the back of my dad's bike was pretty cool when I was like 8 and hadn't been given my own yet. I just looked at some old pictures from those times and my gear consisted of jeans, a sweatshirt, and a 3/4 helmet.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Deeters posted:

Riding on the back of my dad's bike was pretty cool when I was like 8 and hadn't been given my own yet. I just looked at some old pictures from those times and my gear consisted of jeans, a sweatshirt, and a 3/4 helmet.

Your father was a monster and I reported this post to the moderators so they can track the IP and report it to law enforcement.

In lighter news I saw this last week:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its fun for a bit, you really have to trust the driver though.

Also who would get annoyed with the passenger helping with leaning? When they go against you is the worst

Its rare that I have a passenger but even I do the first thing I tell them is to lean with me

It's because they're not totally in sync with you and so they can change the balance just when you don't want it to. I tell my pillions to act like a sack of potatoes and just try not to move, otherwise things can go to poo poo really quickly.

Having said that, having been on the back of a few bikes, I really don't see why anyone would voluntarily get on the back of anything smaller than a Goldwing, that poo poo's just not fun.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
My instructor informed me that if you tell non-bike people to not move, they're more likely to attempt to remain vertical relative to the ground while you turn (ie leaning the wrong way) than they are to lean in overmuch if you say "lean with me".

It's not something I've personally experienced from either side yet so :iiam:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah when they stay still they wind up pushing the bike down in corners.

"Keep your head lined up with mine" works well for me.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I've always told riders to look over my inside shoulder, seems to work pretty well, along with squeezing the seat during braking.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The 4 rules of passenger riding that I tell all passengers:
Don't get on and off the bike until I let you know it's ok.
As we're turning, look over my shoulder in whatever direction we're going and you'll naturally lean with the bike.
You can move around and adjust your weight to get more comfortable but please let me know and only do it on the straights.
If something strange happens, you have to trust that I know what I'm doing - might do weird things that you're not used to as someone who doesn't ride, like lane split or go up the shoulder.

Having a Sena for the guest helmets has made all of this significantly easier cause you can just talk to the person on the back.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Z3n posted:

Having a Sena for the guest helmets has made all of this significantly easier cause you can just talk to the person on the back.

I might have to look into that. My wife and I don't ride together very often, it bothers her knees to be on the back for too long, but when we do it'd be nice to be able to communicate a little bit. Right now our only system is if I'm going somewhere where I don't know really where we are going but she does she'll tap either side of my helmet to inform me of an upcoming right or left turn. She's probably the best rider I've had on the back. Most girls just kind of hang on and use me like a big pillow but my wife knows to lean just right and when coming to a stop she even puts her hands on the bottom of the tank to hold herself up instead of just letting all her weight rest on me.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

bigbillystyle posted:

I might have to look into that. My wife and I don't ride together very often, it bothers her knees to be on the back for too long, but when we do it'd be nice to be able to communicate a little bit. Right now our only system is if I'm going somewhere where I don't know really where we are going but she does she'll tap either side of my helmet to inform me of an upcoming right or left turn. She's probably the best rider I've had on the back. Most girls just kind of hang on and use me like a big pillow but my wife knows to lean just right and when coming to a stop she even puts her hands on the bottom of the tank to hold herself up instead of just letting all her weight rest on me.

Having senas has made every ride I've done with other people, whether pillion or 2+ bikes, so much better. I cannot recommend it enough. Unless you don't like talking to your wife, in which case you are a moron for marrying someone you don't like talking to. :colbert:

It's particularly good if you ever have kids and are teaching them to ride and if you get two you can swap the extra between your wife's helmet and your kid's.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Chichevache posted:

In lighter news I saw this last week:

Look, a youth large was just too small for his head!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I've driven with passengers and I've been a passenger. Both feel like crap, I'm surprised so many people do it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've always wondered how people get crazy lean angles and scrape pegs and stuff with a passenger like it's no big deal because every time I've tried it felt utterly terrifying to lean the bike over really far with someone on the back. I'm not meaning because of the pillion moving around or anything, but because the bike feels like most of the weight is in totally the wrong place and the suspension just doesn't work properly. Even my ZRX felt like poo poo with a passenger.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The first time in months the GF wants to go on a ride, and I can't get a glove on without crazy pain, let alone pull a lever.
Don't crush your finger between cement blocks. No riding for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

I've always wondered how people get crazy lean angles and scrape pegs and stuff with a passenger like it's no big deal because every time I've tried it felt utterly terrifying to lean the bike over really far with someone on the back. I'm not meaning because of the pillion moving around or anything, but because the bike feels like most of the weight is in totally the wrong place and the suspension just doesn't work properly. Even my ZRX felt like poo poo with a passenger.

If you adjust the suspension for the passenger, the bike will still feel pretty good. However, everyone is too lazy to do that.

Unless, of course, you own a BMW S1000XR and all that setting it up for a passenger involves is mashing a little button and riding the tiniest elevator as it changes the preload for you. If you do that, then I had no problem running as fast as you'd want to run on the street with a passenger.