Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's an Iron Maiden album as well, so it's like jumping from the frying pan and into a place that's really hot but no one seems to have realised it.
Well it's an Iron Maiden tribute album, but yeah, it still seems like a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Actually, yeah, I think you're right. I was thinking of that old school Maiden England thing that was rare as rocking horse poo poo for like 8000 years.

How exactly hasn't there been a bunch of NWOBHM band stands though, like Judas Priest, Maiden etc.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hopeford posted:

and I surprisingly like Giorno a fair bit, in spite of my friends all warning me that he was the worst JoJo. He might actually me one of my favorite Jojos so far, I like that he randomly does something vaguely cool and everybody is like "I WANT TO WORSHIP THIS MAN" because it feels like a nice way of showing him as "if Dio was less into vampires and more into boy band gang wars" and stuff.

I'm not super clear on why Jotaro went "Oh, is Dio's son a stand user? Okay cool" and called it a day but I'm enjoying turtle that turns into a hotel because of a stand too much to care. This part is awesome :allears: This part feels like the most bizarre out of them all so far and I love it.

Your friends are loving incorrect, I say, surprising absolutely no one.

I think Koichi probably gave him the low-down on what actually happened, confirmation on whether or not he could be an enemy or ally or whatever, and Jotaro probably wanted to leave well enough alone anyway. He probably heard about Giorno at first and thought, "Oh no, I might actually have to kill a child," so, you know. Might have been relieved when the worst case scenario didn't happen.

But yeah, I think the newer translations are a little more obvious about how the story is completely centered around Giorno, even when other characters get more of a focus in certain fights. Like, the entire first arc is pretty much about proving how capable of a leader he is and everyone in the group getting acclimated to the idea of that, and he does one better than his father because he actually treats the gang as friends instead of cannon fodder or expendable goons.

It's also interesting to me how his backstory sort of differs from everyone else's because everyone in the gang had to join as a last resort while Giorno still has some options available to him, but he comes busting through the door anyway like "GUYS.........LISTEN......THE GANG IS A GREAT AND COOL THING AND WE COULD DO SO MUCH GOOD FOR EVERYONE" and everyone else actually starts believing him. I love it.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It's endearing from early on so yeah, it's always a little sad when people hate on giorno

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Thinking back, Jesus Jojo's Stand should actually be The Carpenters. All it does is make really good carpentry work really fast.

Somehow he keeps defeating bad guys with it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Thinking back, Jesus Jojo's Stand should actually be The Carpenters. All it does is make really good carpentry work really fast.

Somehow he keeps defeating bad guys with it.

Defeating enemies with carpentry, you say?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Defeating enemies with carpentry, you say?

Rather that than being indebted to Tom Nook for the rest of your life.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jesus' Stand was one of those activated-on-death Stands, except it allowed him to come back three days later.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

C'mon, Jesus clearly has the wide, made-up-on-the-fly, OP powerset of a Hamon user.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

https://twitter.com/rohanbot/status/721583600508928002

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
The rest of the group neglected to tell me about this, but we released White Album 1 last week. Not to get anyone's hopes up, but I am informed that WA2 is on its way as well. This week*, an Italian man is very mad about Venice.

*Last week

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I just started rereading Steel Ball Run for the umpteenth time, and goddamn, it's just so fuckin good. The character introductions at the registration window, Gyro's first quick draw and the introduction to the spin, then right into the first leg of the race. It's all just so perfect.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Red Bones posted:

C'mon, Jesus clearly has the wide, made-up-on-the-fly, OP powerset of a Hamon user.

Jesus was actually a ripple master, hence walking on water and healing people. His stand allowed him to duplicate and transmute matter, and he used it to turn water into wine and create more bread and stuff. His resurrection was him using the ability in himself to keep his body functioning in some convoluted Joseph asspull until he had enough energy to "resurrect" days later.

Araki told me this

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The EU release of Eyes of Heaven is confirmed for July 1, so it's the Friday of the same week as the US release (June 28) as usual for video games.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Just noticed the school hallways in the Part 4 ED which I'm assuming is a reference to Shigechi's death. There are also what looks to be a crop circle out the windows of that hallway which may be a reference to Mikata? That might be reaching but I dunno what else it could be.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UOGA56UGG0

The first 20 or so minutes of the English version of EoH's Story.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I just realized something... couldn't The Hand have killed the nijimura father

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

no they will not posted:

I just realized something... couldn't The Hand have killed the nijimura father

He'd just regenerate and be hanging out with Avdol's hands in another dimension.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I don't think Okuyasu would be willing to kill his dad.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Keicho would probably not be satisfied with not knowing if he's exactly dead or not and good luck getting Okuyasu to erase his father

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pops regenerates so at most you're going to make his physical form even more hosed up, but he might just go back to the normal shape he is now anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Baal posted:

I finished the recording for the Part 2 Recap, you have all been warned

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

Keicho would probably not be satisfied with not knowing if he's exactly dead or not and good luck getting Okuyasu to erase his father

Keicho could probably have made him do it if he wanted to, given that it's Keicho. :(

I'm just guessing it wouldn't have been satisfactory if they don't know where erasing leads?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Begemot posted:

He'd just regenerate and be hanging out with Avdol's hands in another dimension.

I'm sure he'd stop thinking eventually

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Keicho could probably have made him do it if he wanted to, given that it's Keicho. :(

I'm just guessing it wouldn't have been satisfactory if they don't know where erasing leads?
To Keicho's credit, I feel like that may be a line he's not willing to cross. Either because he couldn't do that to his father or because he couldn't do that to his brother.

How many times do you cut to the dub and how many times are they too clips of funny Todd Haberkorn reads

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 26, 2016

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Just got to the old translations for part 5. I can definitely see how people didn't like Giorno(or the part in general) if this is how they experienced it at first. Giorno's charisma and influence like drops off a lot once the old translations start. Also the already confusing Stands become like goddamn riddles. Like not even just because of the translation, but because the scans themselves are kinda low quality so it's hard to understand what's going on by the art alone.

But man, still like Giorno a lot. He might be one of my favorite Jojos, dude's great. I do kind of wish he got more chapters centered around him though, even if he is influencing the entire plot just by being there.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Moltrey posted:

To Keicho's credit, I feel like that may be a line he's not willing to cross. Either because he couldn't do that to his father or because he couldn't do that to his brother.

How many times do you cut to the dub and how many times are they too clips of funny Todd Haberkorn reads

Todd Haberkorn isn't in Part 2, but you have Bryce Pappenbrook instead for silly rear end reads

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Wow, Part 2 is def the worst part if Todd Haberkorn isn't yelling at me with the dumbest possible English accents

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

hoobajoo posted:

None taken; like I said I don't really find any of the explanations satisfying, so I don't have a personal investment in them. If you don't mind explaining though, why do you dislike it so much? You've definitely thought way more about SDC than me, and at first blush it feels like something DIO has always been working towards, stealing everything from the Joestars. I don't need a big effort post, but I'd like to know where you're coming from.
Honestly, it probably has more to do with how often people use it as a "Damning" example of "Araki forgot" than any deficiency in the theory itself, though I'm still not fond of it. I dunno, it just rubs me the wrong way. It feels like people reading too much into something - Dio having both the World and Hermit Purple - but not in a fun way, not because they wanna analyze it or extrapolate anything interesting, but because they can't let an apparent hiccup in the plot go and feel the need to go to great lengths to rationalize it.

I dunno if any of that makes sense. Unlike the Josuke time traveler theory, I have a harder time putting into words exactly what I dislike about the World having all the Joestar's abilities.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for me, personally, it kind of adds this weird, out of nowhere exception pertaining only to dio specifically and it's kind of a giant leap of logic to say 'oh, dio has the power of EVERY joestar' with a sample size of like...2 to go off of. it's way more convoluted and stupid than the cooler explanation of the vine thing being jonathan's stand (already shown that family members can have similar stands) and as dio took control of the body more his own power took the forefront and eventually jonathan's vine thing just kind of withered away and disappeared. like, the idea of dio having an exception to the '1 stand per person' rule is acceptable if it actually pertains to something unique like transplanting your head onto someone else's body entirely, especially if over time he shifts to having only his own power be there. the 'dio has the powers of every joestar' thing just sounds like the kind of wishful thinking that bloats series way too much and makes them a mess.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
That's it, actually.

You put into words what I could not. Thank you.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

like, it somehow goes a step beyond the normal 'deification' of dio. he's a fairly unique character and the series will probably never have one again with roughly the same backstory along with everything else, but even with the weird heaven poo poo in stone ocean it was actually relatively in-character for the series with how it all worked. at any given point pucci only had one stand even if he was going through weird poo poo. stands are a nebulous concept, but it's held pretty true so far that people are only ever going to have one at a time. if araki had gone a different direction and actually had decided that dio's power was to have every joestar's power in some weird omni-stand, then it would have shifted the general idea of stands as a whole and i really doubt the series would be the same continuing on from that point. that and it kind of gives this air to the whole thing that doesn't really fit jojo villains at all. it's like something you'd see in another series entirely. which might work for said series, don't get me wrong, but especially with how far everything has progressed and what we know it's something that just kind of spits in the face of what the series has established.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

People retroactively tie DIO fixing Pucci's foot into him having Crazy Diamond with that theory, for what it's worth.

Said people forget he's a vampire who can mutate folks and all sorts of other hosed up poo poo, but that's the rub.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Finished part 5. I actually really liked that! It took me a stupid long time to understand Diavolo's Stand(I think the scans didn't super help) but I really liked part 5. It hasn't yet fully hit me that Polnareff is forever going to be a turtle, which is loving hilarious. This was probably the most flat out bizarre part so far, and it had plenty of really cool and funny moments. Was a huge fna of Giorno's 7 page beatdown of that one dude and his super serious expression as he declared his plan to "STEAL ALL THE CARS."

I do kind of wish Giorno had more screentime though, it feels like he had a decent amount in the beginning and end but a lot of the middle just had him being the party's healer(which to be fair still established his leadership role). Really enjoyed the part, but this is one part that I'm really hoping is going to be improved by the anime. So far, i'm going to go with the probably bizarre ranking of 2>5>4>3>1. On to part 6!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

Honestly, it probably has more to do with how often people use it as a "Damning" example of "Araki forgot" than any deficiency in the theory itself, though I'm still not fond of it. I dunno, it just rubs me the wrong way. It feels like people reading too much into something - Dio having both the World and Hermit Purple - but not in a fun way, not because they wanna analyze it or extrapolate anything interesting, but because they can't let an apparent hiccup in the plot go and feel the need to go to great lengths to rationalize it.

I dunno if any of that makes sense. Unlike the Josuke time traveler theory, I have a harder time putting into words exactly what I dislike about the World having all the Joestar's abilities.

Johnny Joestar posted:

for me, personally, it kind of adds this weird, out of nowhere exception pertaining only to dio specifically and it's kind of a giant leap of logic to say 'oh, dio has the power of EVERY joestar' with a sample size of like...2 to go off of. it's way more convoluted and stupid than the cooler explanation of the vine thing being jonathan's stand (already shown that family members can have similar stands) and as dio took control of the body more his own power took the forefront and eventually jonathan's vine thing just kind of withered away and disappeared. like, the idea of dio having an exception to the '1 stand per person' rule is acceptable if it actually pertains to something unique like transplanting your head onto someone else's body entirely, especially if over time he shifts to having only his own power be there. the 'dio has the powers of every joestar' thing just sounds like the kind of wishful thinking that bloats series way too much and makes them a mess.

Thanks, those are some good points, and Johnny does a good job of selling the "Jonathan's stand" view as interesting and thematically appropriate. Honestly, I like trying to think these things out as just idle entertainment for myself, not out of some burning need to fill in every potential plot hole. I agree if someone can't let it go and just enjoy the series, they're being silly.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What is everybody's pet peeve about the series

I've posted before about my pet peeve of people treating the ireneverse as meaning jolyne and co's deaths don't count because they just came back, and others have pet peeves in regards to stuff like "what if dio's stand actually is all jojo stands" and "josuke should have saved himself by getting caught in a time loop" and I know at least one person whose pet peeve is more or less that giorno is always right in part 5 and that there aren't many times where he's flat out wrong about something.

The only other pet peeve I can think of is that while I enjoy the art, there are several times where I'll have to reread to figure out what is going on. Especially when you're already dealing with something confusing, like the chapters about who shot johnny joestar, so it becomes kind of hard to figure out which part of the picture I'm supposed to be confused about.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

I've posted before about my pet peeve of people treating the ireneverse as meaning jolyne and co's deaths don't count because they just came back, and others have pet peeves in regards to stuff like "what if dio's stand actually is all jojo stands" and "josuke should have saved himself by getting caught in a time loop" and I know at least one person whose pet peeve is more or less that giorno is always right in part 5 and that there aren't many times where he's flat out wrong about something.

The only other pet peeve I can think of is that while I enjoy the art, there are several times where I'll have to reread to figure out what is going on. Especially when you're already dealing with something confusing, like the chapters about who shot johnny joestar, so it becomes kind of hard to figure out which part of the picture I'm supposed to be confused about.

The vast majority of the fanbase is my pet peeve, especially people who continuously mis-characterise people who aren't DIO.

lovely fan theories come 2nd.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Mine is people saying you should skip Phantom Blood. PB is a great time, it's short, well-paced, is a lot of fun, the core four characters are all great, and it lays a ton of groundwork for the series. I also think Jonathan is much more interesting than people tend to give him credit for, and has more depth than the typical paladin-esque idyllic hero. I understand it's not one of the best parts, and even I tell people when they start that JoJo gets better as it goes, but the beginning is still quite good and it's so important to appreciating what comes after.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

My least favorite aspects of the series are probably the fatalistic metaphysics introduced with Thoth that kind of become a thematic focus in parts 5 and 6, and the sadistic undercurrent the series has sometimes (like the various scenes where people are forced to eat poop or random bystanders get killed by vampires or Stand users).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

FirstAidKite posted:

Who did shoot Johnny, again?