Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Is this a Bronwyn Bishop kerosene bath joke?

Nope just life in australia

The Australian government took 24 hours to medically evacuate a gravely ill Iranian refugee who set himself alight on Wednesday, despite Immigration Minister Peter Dutton earlier warning the man's outlook was "not good at all".

Nauru's government on Thursday tweeted that the 23-year-old was airlifted "at midday today", or 10am Australian eastern standard time - about a day after he doused himself with petrol and set himself alight over his despair at life on the Pacific Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lmao how do you even get petrol in a facility like that? seriously? How does Transfield justify the amount of money they cost if they cant do basic poo poo like ensure detainees cant get dangerous items?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Anidav posted:

Poll Bludger now has ALP ahead :toot:

At what point do these start being predictive of an election result?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

I'll field this one: the day after the election :smuggo:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Poll Bludger is about as accurate as polls get.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Laserface posted:

lmao how do you even get petrol in a facility like that? seriously? How does Transfield justify the amount of money they cost if they cant do basic poo poo like ensure detainees cant get dangerous items?

terrorists m8.

would you let a reffo into your community that could smuggle petrol into a detention centre?

didn't think so

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

2pp polls aside, I think this image sums up the view on the current government and what is likely to happen (from the latest essential):

No-one believes they can even do a good budget, it's not a great sign.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Anthony green wrote a good post on why pollsters inherently get 2pp wrong due to their estimates of preference flow being off when the proportion of people saying they will vote 'other' is high

If you look at labors primary vote it has been consistently poo poo. They need at least 39 to win.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Coalition primary vote is slowly burning off in little chunks getting caught by ALP and NXT in butterfly nets. ALP minority government is basically guaranteed to happen because budgets don't change trajectory and a budget full of pork barrelling is usually viewed with cynicism in the media and is against Hockeynomics rhetoric so the LNP is basically painted into a corner while Bill Shorten is whistling and driving steamboat Willie

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Laserface posted:

This is the mentality we have now? These people are prisoners, even though they've committed no crime. They're not allowed to have sharp objects or volatile liquids because they're basically crims. Stop the smokes.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Peter 'my Nazi uncle wasn't all that bad' Abetz covered himself in glory today at the confirmation vote for Pat Dodson in WA state parliament.

Would link but I'm phone posting

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The first two answers for Herald Sun's simple crossword today were Labour Wastes

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Starshark posted:

This is the mentality we have now? These people are prisoners, even though they've committed no crime. They're not allowed to have sharp objects or volatile liquids because they're basically crims. Stop the smokes.

They have a special knife specifically for cutting down detainees who have hanged themselves

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

http://theconversation.com/state-by-state-its-still-malcolm-turnbulls-election-to-lose-58047

The swings against the Coalition occurring in the polls are in states with comparatively few seats or, in the case of Victoria, comparatively few marginal government seats. Queensland and NSW are the key battlegrounds and, so far, the polls are indicating that the Coalition vote is holding up.

TL;dr bill shorten will never be prime minister

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Nah.
Unions paint Turdball as a fatcat
Fatcat refuses to touch negative gearing and banking royal commission
Fatcat gets voted out for publicly acting like a fatcat.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The NBN also is ammo too.

I just think the ALP has all the ammo and Turdball wasted all his ammo discrediting Abbott and damage controlling on the media.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Why are you counting negative gearing as a vote winner, it's a net vote loser with the very large amount of people who will lose out under labors changes

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Awareness of what negative gearing is and how it affects housing affordability is the highest it's ever been the approval ratings on a banking royal commission proves that the Australian public at present has a thirst to hunt down corruption and unjustified tax breaks and or tax avoidence.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Lol, people won't vote to change a status quo that benefits them personally

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

And calling an election on workplace relations is a bad idea because that cause the Unions to mobilise more funds to campaigning than usual.

It's basically a scenario that makes him Tick-Tock Turnbull.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Negative gearing benefits very few people actually. It harms far more Australians than it benefits and creating a Renting Class is hardly a social norm to aspire towards.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Lol, highlighting that bill shorten is a union creature who has never held a job outside of a union or politics is a smart idea. People love union insiders and don't think they are corrupt at all.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

That didn't work for Howard 2007.

Its a punching bag not many pay attention to.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Those that do pay attention to it will already be voting Liberal anyway.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

A lot of people have a house and an investment property and could give a gently caress about desirable social norms so long as fygm. greed and fear motivate people more than idealism.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Just because you own an investment property doesn't mean you automatically support negative gearing.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Don't worry you won't lose out when we mess with your biggest asset is not a reassurance people are prepared to take on face value from a political leader

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Aren't they having a grandfather clause to keep the "mom and pop" investors happy? The only people who will be truly be affected are the serious investors who are growing their property portfolios.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Tackle debt & deficit: abolish* negative gearing.

:chord:

*it's not abolished it's even grandfathered for existing properties jfc

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I want Bulk Sharpton to win just so Negligent stops posting in the hopes that people forget his toxx

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
i just dropped by to tell negligent to shut the gently caress up. peace!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Is it just me, does anyone else find Anidav and Negligent's argument to be rather cute? :allears:

Negligent, I have one word for you: WorkChoices. If you can understand why that failed for the LNP, you can understand that despite their apparent belief that the ground has shifted and an ABCC DD is a good idea, the bulk of the electorate has a good enough memory to experience deja vu.

It's not the big stretch you think it is. That's why Turnbull's attempts to link negative gearing with Are Battlers fell flat. Might play well with the media who are on a nice backhander, but not the average family. However, this is all ahead of an actual election and my guess is that none of these arguments will actually matter to an electorate already tired of politicians. They'd better pray for a Tampa.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Aside from the general loving injustice of it, is setting a cap on negatives gearing losses per tax year instead of grandfather fygm a good compromise or am I missing something? Even the "mom and pop" investors facade would hold up if say there was an accepted loss per family per tax year. It could still practically nullify tax obligations for a retired couple if you set it reasonably high so they aren't killing retirees or stifling investment but still restricting the top end significantly.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Work choices was an over reach by a government that at the end of its life cycle miraculously had control of the senate.

It's not comparable to a situation where the government faces a hostile senate crossbench. The abcc isn't even about IR.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

MaliciousOnion posted:

Aren't they having a grandfather clause to keep the "mom and pop" investors happy? The only people who will be truly be affected are the serious investors who are growing their property portfolios.

Has there been any modeling of what will happen down the track after the changes have been introduced and the house prices stop rising? I can't see the 30% of homeowners who are investors sitting around on an asset that is not going to increase in value.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Has there been any modeling of what will happen down the track after the changes have been introduced and the house prices stop rising? I can't see the 30% of homeowners who are investors sitting around on an asset that is not going to increase in value.

I have personally watched many many investors sit on assets that have halved or more in value. It honestly staggered me, the amount of times people have bought stocks and watched the price go down for years, then the company goes bankrupt so their shares are worthless.

So yeah, I can see that happening very easily.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Talking about property prices is the national sport of middle Australia. people are afraid Labor will gently caress it up. The coalition probably won't even have to buy ads, the fear campaign runs itself.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Don't buy stocks, don't buy houses.

Full communism now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Starshark posted:

What use does a detainee have for petrol? Mowing the lawn outside his tent?

It's appalling but I have no idea how they can let it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Don't you know? Housing prices can only go up!

Seriously, will Labor's proposed changes do much to alleviate the inevitable housing price bubble burst?

• Locked thread