Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Merauder posted:

15 minutes is a bit of a misleading number though. Especially if you're playing with new people, the abstract nature of social deduction games is often tough to explain to new players, so I'd expect with a full group of new people that you're going to want 30+ minutes for the first attempt at the game. If you go for a second attempt it will go a little faster, but even if everyone knows what's what the 15min is technically still a bit inaccurate since that's the official round count for 5 rounds, but there's a brief period in between each round where you swap players between rooms that doesn't happen instantaneously, and usually adds 3-5min to the overall game time.

Expect to spend closer to 45-60min playing two games with new players.

That's fair. As I said, haven't played the game, and I didn't consider what it would be like trying to teach a new game (even a social deduction game) to a group of even 10 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Judd Stackington posted:

If I have a crowd of friends who want to play games like Exploding Kitten or Fluxx, what should I bring for us to play instead? I was aware Exploding Kitten was trash and I can see why people rag on it but Fluxx is my choice out of our party game rotation.
I like The Great Dalmuti for big groups

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Pathfinder, the Card Game on iOS. It's a bad game, but Ascension is, too, and I've probably played more games that every other game I own combined because it's easy to take a couple of turns on the bus.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Fat Samurai posted:

Pathfinder, the Card Game on iOS. It's a bad game, but Ascension is, too, and I've probably played more games that every other game I own combined because it's easy to take a couple of turns on the bus.

Unfortunately they only give you 2 characters and 1 adventure with 3 scenarios for free, the core set costs $35 without extra characters. It's not exactly mobile pricing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Fair enough. Didn't check the pricing, I'd say not worth it at that price tag. I'd be willing to pay 10-15$

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

SilverMike posted:

Unfortunately they only give you 2 characters and 1 adventure with 3 scenarios for free, the core set costs $35 without extra characters. It's not exactly mobile pricing.

Blargh, that stinks. I don't even really like the game but I was hoping to add it to my iPad time wasters because most crummy games are a lot more palatable when an app does all the legwork.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I played Millennium Blades four players twice yesterday, back to back even!! It owns. A lot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hmmmmmm I think perhaps Blockade should give a popup saying "hey do you want to commit to not discarding a card" rather than just...expecting you to know when it expects a card discarded. There goes that game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Samurai posted:

If you have no standards (and you clearly don't), then Talisman Digital Edition is much more fun, and cheaper too.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Can Escape: The Curse of the Temple be played in a turn-based fashion? The game looks really cool, but I'm not a fan of the real-time with a CD playing. Alternatively, are there other games like it that are turn-based?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Won't work in turn-based, since the tempo of the game is all about the realtime with a timer that you're competing against.

There are lots of co-ops based around movement where your goal is to match dice or otherwise meet objectives on a map before a timer runs out, of which the best is probably Ghost Stories.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Rutibex posted:

If you have no standards (and you clearly don't), then Talisman Digital Edition is much more fun, and cheaper too.

Not even once

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Andarel posted:

Won't work in turn-based, since the tempo of the game is all about the realtime with a timer that you're competing against.

There are lots of co-ops based around movement where your goal is to match dice or otherwise meet objectives on a map before a timer runs out, of which the best is probably Ghost Stories.

How about some that aren't cooperative?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
So, finally got to play Pax Porfiriana. That game is legit. Finally, after all these years, I can see why the game has such a good rep. Well worth tracking down.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

The central mechanic of "keep rolling dice until you get what you want, but do it faster than other players" doesn't really work in non-realtime but the shenanigans would involve games that are either weird dice combo games or action programming games. Galaxy Trucker's a decent suggestion but it's still realtime (it's a much more relaxed realtime than Escape, though, and it has an alright turn-based variant). Steampunk Rally might get the right feel (build a vehicle and blow it the hell up by rolling energy dice to run down a racetrack), as might the lighter Formula D.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Fat Samurai posted:

Fair enough. Didn't check the pricing, I'd say not worth it at that price tag. I'd be willing to pay 10-15$

Scyther posted:

Blargh, that stinks. I don't even really like the game but I was hoping to add it to my iPad time wasters because most crummy games are a lot more palatable when an app does all the legwork.

Sorry, I was wrong about the characters. They do come in the $35 pack, but you're still paying a hell of a lot for a mobile game. And all the adventures from that pack aren't even in the game yet!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SilverMike posted:

:lol: gently caress that.

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010

SilverMike posted:

Can't you earn gold to buy the scenarios by playing?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Has there been much noise about Gencon releases yet? My credit card balance has been sitting as 0 for too long.

I'm woefully behind on any stuff coming out this year.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Guys, how accessible is Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game? How long do you think it'll take to read and explain the rules, and set up the game? It looks interesting, but not if it'll be an hour before we can even start playing.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Pretty simple. There are only 4 actions you can take, 1 at a time. One person will have to manage the dungeon deck, but that is also simple. I highly recommend it, it's a solid game.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Guys, how accessible is Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game? How long do you think it'll take to read and explain the rules, and set up the game? It looks interesting, but not if it'll be an hour before we can even start playing.

Thanks for any thoughts.

We had someone new join in last game (yesterday) and we didn't even bother explaining the rules - we just let him go last and it was fine. As long as one person knows the rules (which are easy) and has put together the different decks beforehand (which should take 10 minutes or so your first time; you basically just have to put in the necessary monsters/locations/etc.. described on the setup sheet for the quest) I think you can get going with very little startup time. The system is intuitive and very easy to manage, but still rewards some planning in actual play.

As long as you don't mind the limited content in the box, and are OK with a pretty light game, WQtACG is really surprisingly solid.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Lorini posted:

Thanks for any thoughts.

It's very approachable provided one player knows what they're doing. If you're going to teach it, run through the first scenario on your own though because the "Learn to Play" manual is garbage that skips over a ton and will leave you scratching your head two turns into a real scenario.

Rutibex posted:

I actually own this and it's awful. Even for what it is, it's awful. Why Talisman needed a bad UI and slow paced gameplay is beyond me. The 40k one is actually worse. And yes, I own both. I think my excuse is that I want to encourage developers to port board games to apps? Yeah, I think I'll stick with that one.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Lorini posted:

It's pretty simple. Setup is 3 decks, only one of them has to be prepared and it has like 10 cards, plus the 4 ability cards for each character in play. The options you have each turn are clearly marked on the cards and the only thing you really have to explain is monster combat, which is pretty easy. The manual has a first play example, but as Ohthehugemanatee is pretty much garbage.

Say, 10-15 minutes if you've run a test game and are explaining the rules to new players?

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

My Space Alert came in the mail yesterday. Pretty excited to take it to the TableTop Day meetup on Saturday. Hopefully I won't gently caress up explaining the rules.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

PyroDwarf posted:

Can't you earn gold to buy the scenarios by playing?

Playing a game nets you 1xx-2xx gold depending on difficulty and how many cards you successfully encounter. Not sure if that's contingent on winning, but I assume so. The first specially 80% discounted adventure to buy is 750 gold. The second one is 4000, and these both give you 5 new scenarios. I'd tell you the rest but they aren't currently in the game.

Note that you only start with 2 characters unlocked and unlocking new ones will cost you 1500 or 2000 gold, with a 10000 option for 4 characters + a Deck C, whatever that is.

Even with the ability to run random quests, you'd have to be a superfan of the game to unlock everything via F2P. You're meant to pay the $35 sometime and be done with it, although if you like being stupid you could also buy the equivalent in gold which would be 24000 and probably not enough to buy everything the $35 upfront would.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

SilverMike posted:

Isn't it $25 and includes all 6 adventure packs and all the characters?

I mean I'm still not sure I want to spend that much (or spend anything) on PAC, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying it all in physical form.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 28, 2016

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

$35 in Canadian funbucks, and yeah I'd get it before I got a physical copy, but it's still a rough ask compared to Ascension on mobile.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Is PAC iPad only? I'm not seeing it on the app store, and the link provided above is broken.

Edit: After some research, yeah, it's iPad only.

dropkickpikachu fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 28, 2016

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Boz0r posted:

How about some that aren't cooperative?
So you're asking "what's a game similar to this real-time co-op game that is neither real-time nor co-op"?

I mean, if you just like dice, Roll for the Galaxy or Quarriors?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

dropkickpikachu posted:

Is PAC iPad only? I'm not seeing it on the app store, and the link provided above is broken.

https://itunes.apple.com/it/app/pathfinder-adventures/id966333863?l=en&mt=8

Looks like iPad only

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

One of the devs commented on a TouchArcade post about it that it's coming to phones and PC pretty soon, at least. My girlfriend really likes playing PAC so I was hoping we could check it out. Oh well, won't hurt to wait until the PC/phone versions.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
FWIW it's out on Android too. It can be installed on phones (at leat it can on my nexus 6) but might not be very playable.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

SilverMike posted:

$35 in Canadian funbucks, and yeah I'd get it before I got a physical copy, but it's still a rough ask compared to Ascension on mobile.

I've played the first non tutorial quest. Pretty good UI (you can see the kind of cards left in each location, for example, and you get notices when another character can help your current one), nice music and pictures. The deckbuilder section is nicely done and easy to use, too.

Regarding payment: It seems you get 250-ish gold for quest (EDIT: wrong, it's 150 for each normal quest), with the possibility of making it harder for +50 (an I assume another +50 for the hardest level). So play the first 3, included adventures and you'll probably unlock the first paid pack (with 6 more quests).

Free 2 play talk: 20,75K gold for the scenarios (assuming 4k for each of the non-released one, same that the current ones), 17,5k for the characters (or save 2K and don't get the "deck C", but we want EVERYTHING), you need to play 153 scenarios at the easiest level (EDIT: More like 250, got the gold reward wrong), assuming rewards keep at the same level. Technically you don't need the characters, but you're stuck with a 2 person D&D party with a Rogue and a Priest, which is silly. You're playing this for the hulking tanks decked in armor and the frail old men who shoot fireballs.

40k gold is 40€ at the store, a very bad deal when you can get the whole pack for 25€, but each won adventure will knock off some amount from that. There is a special offer where you pay 2€ for 6k gold, but it's handed out during a whole month and you have to login daily to get it all. So you can get the whole game for 15€ in 7 months, less if you actually play the drat thing.

These are a lot of words to say that you can get the game for free and play it for a fair bit to see if you like it. Call it a generous shareware program.

EDIT: Ok, app seems to hang every time I try to play a random quest. Pity.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 28, 2016

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Note that all the FFG releases on CSI today were 14-15% off. None were Star Wars related however. So yeah, going to the FLGS for those for sure.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

For Dark Souls Kickstarter, a Steamforged Games representative showed up on reddit. Personally, I find this entire line of responses to be pretty damning.

quote:

We went with a dice based mechanic because that's what we know.

quote:

Dark Souls™ also has random crit chances, to be fair.

A Dark Souls critical hit means a backstabs, hitting an enemy in a weak spot, during an extra vulnerable animation, performing a parry + riposte, and sometimes hitting them after a stagger. They never come from RNG.

quote:

Critical hits do do random extra damage.

Not in the video game. The extra damaged is fixed there.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

golden bubble posted:

For Dark Souls Kickstarter, a Steamforged Games representative showed up on reddit. Personally, I find this entire line of responses to be pretty damning.

A Dark Souls critical hit means a backstabs, hitting an enemy in a weak spot, during an extra vulnerable animation, performing a parry + riposte, and sometimes hitting them after a stagger. They never come from RNG.

Not in the video game. The extra damaged is fixed there.

:lol: :eyepop: wow yeah holy poo poo. Like the game pretty much tells you what your damage is at all times.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Engraved gauntlets would give you random critical hits. DS3 does have random critical hits from the front which look like Bloodborne visceral attacks.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
No those happen when you parry or knock someone off balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
So talk to me about Millennium Blades. I managed to land myself a free copy which is about the only way I think I would have bothered playing it, but I'm actually kind of intrigued by it. What's the high points / low points of the game play (not stuff like "there's so much shuffling OMG!1")? Is there a "best with" player count (BGG says 4)? What's a realistic time frame for 4 or 5 brand new players first game?