Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Baldur's Gate 2 is pretty hard. Although, in retrospect the first mission I did should not have been "acquire" keep. Now who stole my bow?? and personal army of Stone Golems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Woolie Wool posted:

It appears the available attribute points are much more restricted than in BG or IWD1. Is it really necessary for a fighter to put 18 in STR, a wizard to put 18 in INT, or a priest to put 18 in WIS like in 2e games?

No it's not feasible, let alone necessary. One nice feature of 3e is that every 4 levels you get an attribute point to assign, so you can grow your attributes a few points over the course of the game. I like a more well-rounded stat spread. You can dump some strength on your casters, charisma on anyone who's not a bard, sorcerer, or paladin, but I don't like taking penalties on the other four stats.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Kavak posted:

And he doesn't stick around to help you with Sarevok or later Irenicus even though he could shred them like tissue paper because...?

Cheats:DrizztDefends();

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

It appears the available attribute points are much more restricted than in BG or IWD1. Is it really necessary for a fighter to put 18 in STR, a wizard to put 18 in INT, or a priest to put 18 in WIS like in 2e games?

Unlike 2nd edition, 3rd edition improves stats in a general sense for every two points in an attribute, where 10 is considered 0. So a fighter with 18 strength would get a +4 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls. Because you can get 1 new attribute point every 4th level, you can reach 5 extra points by the time you get to level 20, but I don't know if the game takes you that far.

Constitution bonuses add hit points, dexterity bonuses add armor class, but unlike 2nd edition, there is a balance to how much armor you are wearing as well, where certain armors will cap how much AC you can get from dexterity. Leather armor allows +6 from Dexterity, meaning you can have a score of 22 dexterity and still get full bonus from armor and a high dexterity score, while a full plate only allows +1 from dexterity, meaning 12 is the most you need.

Because of those, there is very little point in leaving ability scores on the mid-points between two scores, so avoid scores like 11, 13, 15 and 17, unless you know what you are doing. That said, starting with a primary statistic at above 14 is highly recommended, because you only get 5 increases in those 20 levels, that means you have to plan for reaching a base of 20 at level 20, I'd say, at least in most cases.

Feats are a new addition and have prerequisites of having scores of at least 13 in some stats, 15 in other cases. For instance power attack, which allows you trade Base Attack Bonus (shortened BAB, replacement for THAC0) for damage, point-for-point, requires 13 strength. Dodge, which grants you an extra AC against a single enemy requires 13 dexterity. And Expertise, grants you 5 AC for a penalty of -5 to attack bonus, requires 13 intelligence and is the sole reason why a lot of fighters will actually have at least a bit of intelligence. In reality it is very helpful for any character that needs to be a little less squishy.

Heck, rogues now benefit greatly from being both charismatic and intelligent, more so than any other edition. Too bad IWD isn't a very talkative game to fully benefit from a sly rogue.

Oh and sorcerers and bards cast magic based on charisma instead of intelligence this time. And your primary statistic for your caster determines the highest spell level you can cast. If you have 15 intelligence, your wizard can only cast 5th level spells, while 18 intelligence only locks him out of 9th level spells. Hence why you'd want to end up at 19 before you get to the point where you can cast 9th level spells. This goes for clerics, druids, wizards and sorcerers. Bards can only get to 6th level spells, paladins and rangers to 4th level spells (so start them off with either 13 or 14 wisdom and take the final point at a later date)

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
Are there any half decent walk-throughs for SoD yet? I'm about two thirds of the way done with ToSC and then a quick smashing of Sarevok and I'll be in. I don't particularly want to miss a +7 Warhammer of Instant Disintegration because I forgot to speak to an NPC down a back alleyway.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

At full power (Thac0 was between 1 and 2 during the fight) slingbarb was able to get Drizzt down to 25% before the Gnolls were dead. After that I had to kite him around.

Is it possible to beat him melee only?

Suspicious posted:

Nope. He has 5 attacks per round (or was it 10?) and a THAC0 of 0. Anything in his way is chop suey.

Yes, it is possible to beat Drizzt with just melee combat, but you pretty much have to be buffed to the gills with most of the relevant combat buffs.

Thieves have it a lot easier, since they can backstab and kill him with just haste. Its much easier for a thief to kill him at night.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 28, 2016

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
I've perfected the killing of Drizzt now. You have to move close enough to reveal the Gnolls but not him. They'll move to attack, he wont "activate". Give it a few minutes, you've got a bunch of cannon fodder Gnolls standing around some of the best gear in the game.

You don't get the xp, but that's not really an issue as it's easy to hit the cap even with a party of 6. You also don't take the rep hit because you didn't kill him. Easy peasy.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The only thing I really needed from Drizzt this time around was his chainmail. Sadly there isn't any good splintmail in the game and barbarians can't wear the ankheg plate.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The only thing I really needed from Drizzt this time around was his chainmail. Sadly there isn't any good splintmail in the game and barbarians can't wear the ankheg plate.

I ended up giving his chain to Viconia this time around as it's so light and she is so absurdly weak. Both of the scimitars went to my PC (F/M/T). Still not 100% sold on that setup, but eh.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Here's what you actually need to know about IWD in terms of 3e rules.

Because of how 3e works and how IWD2 works, you don't need or want a rogue past level 1. Make a rogue with very high intelligence, go wizard at level 2, never look back.
Because of the limit to spell scrolls, and because IWD2 is just one massive hack and slash, power beats variety. Normally wizards are the best, but with the game being what it is, sorcerers end up far stronger overall.
IN GENERAL, non-spellcasters are loving worthless because lmao 3e. Fighters are ESPECIALLY pointless - there just aren't enough feats for them to matter. Never have a character with more then four levels of fighter - that's when they get weapon specialization. On the other hand, at least you can put four levels into fighter and get something out of it - forget monk even exists. You too, bard.
Humans are extremely good. Dwarves are good at being meatshields and clerics, especially early on when you're fighting monsters they have a bunch of bonuses against. Aasimar make good paladins and sorcerers though humans are likewise good sorcerers. Drow can make a good rogue/wizard. But seriously, humans are really good.
Minmax the gently caress out of your stats. Meatshields don't need intelligence so drop it as low as it goes. loving nobody except paladins and sorcerers need charisma put it into the asthenosphere. Absolutely everyone wants really good constitution.
Shields are dumb and worthless and dumb and not good and dumb. Get the biggest two hander you can for your meatshield and Power Attack. And a mace for very specific occasions.
Look up feats in advance. Metagame that poo poo. Because they have seriously stupid skill requirements that you would've never thought of unless you looked it up. For example, did you know meatshields want a few points in concentration, a skill that does literally nothing for them, that isn't even a class skill for most of them? Because a goddamn feat requires it?
Specialize your wizard.

In general, the best parties are going to overwhelmingly be magical. Going off memory, a real good group would be two sorcerers, a rogue->wizard, two clerics (one of them the warrior-god cleric so you can guffaw at how much better it is then the non-spellcaster warrior), and one pure dumb meatshield, Fighter 4/Barbarian everything else. You can tweak this a bit - drop a cleric for a druid, change out barbarian for paladin - but that's typically the best you can make. If you really wanna use that loving kicking rad paladin weapon, give one of your clerics a single paladin level later on - MUCH later on, like "near 20." Likewise for giving your sorcerer(s) a paladin level so they gain Divine Grace.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Last night I decided to see if my current party could handle Dragonspear and it was an utter disaster. I immediately went back to bgee, abandoned Dynaheir in a shack and picked up Branwen.

I'll probably do the same thing with Rashad once I complete his quest.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Is Paladin2/Sorcerer a good build for IWD2? I seem to remember my solo attempt with that was way easier than any full party run I tried. I only abandoned it because any kind of sustained aoe spell would tank my fps into sub 1 territory.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

20 or so pages back there was mention of a mod that would reduce the time on quests/romances. What was that called? I really really love the loot from Rasaad's BG1 quest but don't want to keep him around long enough to trigger it... And in general in BG2 I want to just go do all of the quests for all of the companions on two run throughs and again all the waiting seems like it'll take forever.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013

Hughlander posted:

20 or so pages back there was mention of a mod that would reduce the time on quests/romances. What was that called? I really really love the loot from Rasaad's BG1 quest but don't want to keep him around long enough to trigger it... And in general in BG2 I want to just go do all of the quests for all of the companions on two run throughs and again all the waiting seems like it'll take forever.

Can you not just go to an inn and burn a few days?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Hughlander posted:

I think this is in Gibberling 3's tweak pack. If it isn't just look on their site.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Sweet I need to install that one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kavak posted:

And he doesn't stick around to help you with Sarevok or later Irenicus even though he could shred them like tissue paper because...?

Well in BG 1 he is going his own thing. Also he is once again in BG 2 doing his own thing, but unlike BG 1 with Serevok Irenicus would shred Drizzt. Serevok was a level 16 fighter and Drizzt is a level 16 Ranger. Irenicus is a level 30 Wizard.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

By the time I reached Bodhi's last stand, every member of my party was more powerful than Drizzt.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'll probably do the same thing with Rashad once I complete his quest.

Hughlander posted:

You need to have access to Baldur's Gate to trigger Rasaad's quest.

ProfessorCirno posted:

In general, the best parties are going to overwhelmingly be magical. Going off memory, a real good group would be two sorcerers, a rogue->wizard, two clerics (one of them the warrior-god cleric so you can guffaw at how much better it is then the non-spellcaster warrior), and one pure dumb meatshield, Fighter 4/Barbarian everything else. You can tweak this a bit - drop a cleric for a druid, change out barbarian for paladin - but that's typically the best you can make. If you really wanna use that loving kicking rad paladin weapon, give one of your clerics a single paladin level later on - MUCH later on, like "near 20." Likewise for giving your sorcerer(s) a paladin level so they gain Divine Grace.
Clerics of Mask make good tanks as well.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

It took me like 10 reloads but I finally killed Zordral, that mage in the circus tent. My secret was killing him before he even had the chance to talk to me. None of my offensive spells would go off before he could cast mirror image, followed by horrify/fear. And then someone would die.

6 slings/arrows straight for the mage head before battle? Dead in one round, no damage taken. How the hell are you supposed to kill this guy "legit"?

I also found this good armor in a field, I basically hold down tab constantly and loot every container I can see (thanks Gothic and Morrowind for teaching me that habit). Anhkeg Armor? It's like 1AC which is crazy and even mages can wear it which is even crazier. I feel like my OCD scraping the edges of the map for loot is now justified. Is stuff like this throughout the game, or just this once?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Here's what you actually need to know about IWD in terms of 3e rules.

All of this is really good advice!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Minmax the gently caress out of your stats. Meatshields don't need intelligence so drop it as low as it goes.

This is the only thing I would debate, and only if you are planning on playing on the hardest difficulties. Building an unhittable tank with a monstrous armor class is really useful at those difficulties, and a key part of getting there is the expertise feat which requires 13 Int.

Mortimer posted:

None of my offensive spells would go off before he could cast mirror image, followed by horrify/fear. And then someone would die.

Horror is a huge party killer at these levels. The key to beating it is realizing that the level 1 cleric spell "Remove Fear" actually lasts for an hour, and it doesn't only remove fear, it completely immunizes you to it. Cast it before wizard battles and then when they cast horror it's basically a free round for you because it can't affect you at all.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Mortimer posted:

It took me like 10 reloads but I finally killed Zordral, that mage in the circus tent. My secret was killing him before he even had the chance to talk to me. None of my offensive spells would go off before he could cast mirror image, followed by horrify/fear. And then someone would die.

6 slings/arrows straight for the mage head before battle? Dead in one round, no damage taken. How the hell are you supposed to kill this guy "legit"?

I also found this good armor in a field, I basically hold down tab constantly and loot every container I can see (thanks Gothic and Morrowind for teaching me that habit). Anhkeg Armor? It's like 1AC which is crazy and even mages can wear it which is even crazier. I feel like my OCD scraping the edges of the map for loot is now justified. Is stuff like this throughout the game, or just this once?

Have Minsc berserker rage if he's in your party. He's immune to horror while it's up.

And yeah whenever I start a new game I go straight for that armor if my character can equip it. The cool thing about that armor is that because it's so lightweight Druids can equip it for example.

Once you have that armor you can solo Ankhegs North of Friendly Arm Inn for easy levels.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Having Minsc berserk in a tiny tent with an NPC you're trying to save in it may not always work out so well, though.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Have Minsc berserker rage if he's in your party. He's immune to horror while it's up.

And yeah whenever I start a new game I go straight for that armor if my character can equip it. The cool thing about that armor is that because it's so lightweight Druids can equip it for example.

Once you have that armor you can solo Ankhegs North of Friendly Arm Inn for easy levels.

Wouldn't soloing mobs make the rest of my party not gain levels? I mean I guess it wouldn't matter because I'd have a level 5 main character but....actually nevermind that sounds great. I just have to make sure none of my party is going to care that I'm running around a field for a few weeks.

Mzbundifund posted:

Horror is a huge party killer at these levels. The key to beating it is realizing that the level 1 cleric spell "Remove Fear" actually lasts for an hour, and it doesn't only remove fear, it completely immunizes you to it. Cast it before wizard battles and then when they cast horror it's basically a free round for you because it can't affect you at all.

:stare: give me back 20 minutes of my life please

Wizard Styles posted:

Having Minsc berserk in a tiny tent with an NPC you're trying to save in it may not always work out so well, though.

I read afterwards that killing the NPC gives you bonus robes and every reward so that wouldn't have been too bad!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Oh Mages can wear it in old school bg? I might have to play that since Beamdog hasn't shown any interest in fixing Avenger since I reported the shapeshit bug.

In EE less classes can wear Ankheg, including Avengers. The other Druids however still get to use it.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 28, 2016

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Mortimer posted:

Wouldn't soloing mobs make the rest of my party not gain levels? I mean I guess it wouldn't matter because I'd have a level 5 main character but....actually nevermind that sounds great. I just have to make sure none of my party is going to care that I'm running around a field for a few weeks.

When you hit 6 or 7 all new party members will start at 5 or 6 depending on their class. Soloing Ankhegs can get you to 6 in an hour real time.

So yeah your kinda abusing the levelling but I don't enjoy splitting exp with 5 other level one characters, I did that once or twice and it was enough.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 28, 2016

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, I forgot Berserk and rage are a tad different. You could have a mage waiting outside to use web on him I suppose. The easier solution is probably to have a cleric use remove fear.

My bad for the triple post. I'm used to more casual chat threads, I'll be more courteous from here on.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Silence is also a good solution, most Mages don't have Vocalize early in BG1.

And yeah, Avengers can't wear Ankheg Plate, sadly. I found out about that when I turned Faldorn into one. Regular Druids and Totemic Druids can, but I guess for Avengers it was decided that their armor class restriction should override that. Which isn't a bad call, honestly, considering how good Avengers are compared to other Druids.

Also, what bug?

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 28, 2016

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Part of the reason I picked the class was because the wiki stated that the avenger's Sword Spider form would be hasted, immune to web and would inflict poison damage. Which would be great for zerg rushing Mages. This is partially confirmed in the EE's spell descrption Which states that the form will be hasted.

I leveled up to 8 and while the spider form is indeed immune to web it is not however hasted or poisonous. Sucks.

I tested this in bg2 legacy and the sword Spider form is indeed hasted and poisonous.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Anyone know what quests I should go after in BG2 Chapter 2? I got the stronghold and now I'm looking for decent party members for a good alignment run. So far party is Jaheira, Minsc, Aerie, Nalia, and Amonen. Going to feed Amonen to some bears

edit: the romance mod is Hilarious BTW everyone's just after everyone.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 28, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Hollismason posted:

Anyone know what quests I should go after in BG2 Chapter 2? I got the stronghold and now I'm looking for decent party members for a good alignment run. So far party is Jaheira, Minsc, Aerie, Nalia, and Amonen. Going to feed Amonen to some bearsedut: the romance mod is Hilarious BTW everyone's just after everyone.

That's a pretty balanced party right there. Anomen is a very strong cleric (once you do his personal quest), but since you have Aerie and Jaheira both in your party you can probably do without him if you really want to trade him out. Keldorn the paladin is good-aligned and arguably the most powerful NPC in the game. Help him finish his quest investigating the cult in the sewers under the temple district and he'll join for good. What class is your protagonist?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Has anyone had any success getting Wild Mage Additions to work on the gog version of bgee+sod or bg2ee? No matter what I do, the text strings are all screwed up. It hasn't been updated in forever, so I guess it might just not with ee period, but I don't know how any of this poo poo works, so I figured I'd ask

do you get the text string errors in bg2ee? if so its probably an update it needs, note sure why it screw with text strings though.

if it's only in bg1ee+sod then you need to install mod merger first.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Anyone know what quests I should go after in BG2 Chapter 2? I got the stronghold and now I'm looking for decent party members for a good alignment run. So far party is Jaheira, Minsc, Aerie, Nalia, and Amonen. Going to feed Amonen to some bears

Don't kill Anomen, hs personal quest makes him a very good cleric and an even better tank.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Mzbundifund posted:

That's a pretty balanced party right there. Anomen is a very strong cleric (once you do his personal quest), but since you have Aerie and Jaheira both in your party you can probably do without him if you really want to trade him out. Keldorn the paladin is good-aligned and arguably the most powerful NPC in the game. Help him finish his quest investigating the cult in the sewers under the temple district and he'll join for good. What class is your protagonist?

Fighter / Thief although I am thinking of messing around in EE/Shadowkeeper to make them a Fighter/Assassin if i can.

I really need a DPS dealer and tank. If Amonen wasn't so goddamn annoying I'd be okay with not getting rid of him.

I definitely need more Mage stuff , but I hate Nalia.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Aerie is an incredibly powerful mage, up there with Keldorn for the strongest companion in the game. Nalia is also a fine if unremarkable mage.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I like that she is a Cleric/Mage , which is kind of interesting but also infuriatingly annoying to keep track of.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hollismason posted:

Do the undead one then the Trademeet one. Temple quest is dece too.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I love having the tablet version available for experiments.

Going to try a halfling assassin, his goal? To be the fastest dart thrower in all of Faerun.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The first Slayer transformation kind of loses some of the horror when the entire party is hasted. It feels like Yakkity Sax should be playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I leveled up to 8 and while the spider form is indeed immune to web it is not however hasted or poisonous. Sucks.
Huh, so it is. This seems to affect only BG1:EE, so here's the relevant file from BG2:EE
PLYSPID.ITM

Copy that into your override folder. I spared myself the gargantuan effort of checking if any adjustments are necessary to make this work in BG1:EE.
I assume not since they both use the same engine version afaik, but if it crashes your game delete the file again and let me know.